The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

2 hours ago, CTC2 said:

Picked up one of these travel guitars off the Stupid Deal of the Hour off of MF.  $150.  Traveling a lot this summer so I figured what the hell. 

IMG_9833.jpeg

Less Paul?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

I want it but I also want a Martin D41. I do not have a high end acoustic but I also don’t have any vintage yet. What do I do??)$?!?!?

IMG_8204.thumb.jpeg.df5ec87bff4ac21a71bdcaa5b6ccc62f.jpeg

Spoiler

IMG_8203.thumb.jpeg.f8c77988fca12ae3fa7e9018c44cd707.jpeg

That that’s an ‘86. One thing from the era that I know people like are Tim Shaw pickups. I don’t really know a ton about them other than that mine (as an 86 “pre” historic) likely has them and I like mine. I think that the customs had them as well. 

I think there's an article out there detailing them but this post from a thread that i can't seem to link to from mylespaul.com (found via google search just now) looks suspiciously clipped from some kind of source - 

Whether it was rivalry between plants or increased market awareness, the Nashville plant jumped into the reissue action in 1980. By this time, one of the most glaring deficiencies of new Les Pauls (compared to the originals) was the humbucking pickup. In preparation for its first attempt at a reissue, Gibson assigned engineer Tim Shaw the job of designing a reissue of the original Patent-Applied-For humbucking pickup-within certain restrictions. "This was 1980 and Norlin was already feeling the pinch," Shaw said, referring to Gibson's long decline through the 1970s and early '80s. "We weren't allowed to do much retooling. We redid the bobbin because it was worn out. We got some old bobbins and put the square hole back in. We did it without the T-hole, which stood for Treble."

To replicate the magnets, Shaw gathered up magnets from original PAFs and sent them to a lab to be analyzed. "Most were Alnico 2's," he said, "but some were 5's. In the process of making an Alnico 5, they stick a magnet in a huge coil for orientation, but an unoriented 5 sounds a lot like a 2. They started with Alnico 2 and then switched to Alnico 5."

Shaw discovered that the original magnets were a little thicker than 1980 production magnets. "Magnetic strength is largely a function of the area of the polarized face; increasing the face size gives you more power," he explained. So he specified the thicker magnet for the new PAF.

Wiring on the originals was #42 gauge, which Gibson still used. However, the original wire had an enamel coating and the current wire had a polyurethane coat, which also was of a different thickness or "buildup" than that of the original, which affected capacitance. Norlin refused to go the extra mile-or extra buck, as it were. Enamel-coated wire cost a dollar more per pound than poly-coated. Shaw could change the spec on the buildup without additional expense, so the thickness of the coating was the same as on the original wire, but he was forced to use the poly coat. The difference is easy to see: purple wire on the originals, orange on the reissues.

Shaw later found a spec for the number of turns on a spec sheet for a 1957 ES-175. "It specified 5,000 turns because a P-90 had 10,000 turns and they cut it in half," Shaw said. In reality, however, originals had anywhere from 5,000 to 6,000 turns, depending on how tight the coil was wound. Shaw later met Seth Lover, who designed and patented Gibson's humbucker, at a NAMM show. Lover laughed when asked about a spec for windings, and he told Shaw, "We wound them until they were full."

The spec for resistance was even less exact, Shaw said. The old ohmeter was graduated in increments of .5 (500 ohms). Anywhere between 3.5 and 4 on the meter (3,500 to 4,000 ohms) met the spec. Consequently, Shaw pointed out, there is no such thing as an exact reissue or replica of the 1959 PAF pickup. There can only be a replica of one original PAF, or an average PAF. As Gibson would find out in the early 1990s, the same could be said about the entire guitar.

Shaw's PAF reissue debuted on Gibson's new Nashville-made Les Paul Heritage 80 in 1980. Compared to anything Gibson had previously made (which is to say, compared to nothing), it was an excellent reissue of a sunburst Les Paul Standard. It had a nice top, thin binding in the cutaway, nickel-plated parts, more accurate sunburst finish and smaller headstock, but the body shape, body size and three-piece neck, among other details, were just regular production. It appears that Gibson still didn't understand the demand for an accurate reissue, because Gibson accompanied the Heritage 80 with fancier versions: the Heritage 80 Elite, with an ebony fingerboard that had no relevance to the reissue market (although it did have a one-piece neck) and the Heritage 80 Award, with gold plated hardware that also had no relevance to the reissue market.

Anyways, broadly the 80s are not a bright spot in Gibson history, but they made some cool guitars. People like the Shaw pickups, they don't like the short neck tenons, not sure what the particulars of your custom would be. That's a badass looking guitar. 80s feels like a good decade for a custom.

Edited by Celery Man

27 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

they don't like the short neck tenons

You'll still get them from Gibson unless you want to spend Custom Shop money. Funnily enough, the new Epiphones have the long neck tenons, though. 

On 5/26/2024 at 4:34 PM, Chad Fuck said:

My first guitar is an 82 LP Custom 

Mr Fuck wants to rock.  If he makes an average of $25 per lawn mowed, and if he convinces his friend to buy a bass, how many anti-Reagan anthems will he have to write to get the attention of the pretty girl in Algebra II if each song achieves a mean average decibel level of 128?  For the purposes of this word problem, remember that he is still wearing tube socks and he is several years from being old enough to get a tattoo.  

• Like 6

Mr Fuck wants to rock.  If he makes an average of $25 per lawn mowed, and if he convinces his friend to buy a bass, how many anti-Reagan anthems will he have to write to get the attention of the pretty girl in Algebra II if each song achieves a mean average decibel level of 128?  For the purposes of this word problem, remember that he is still wearing tube socks and he is several years from being old enough to get a tattoo.  

You have no idea how on point this is.

The girls in my math class gave zero fucks.
  • Like 2

You have no idea how on point this is.

The girls in my math class gave zero fucks.

What ever happened to the 82?

I’d give anything to have my 85 Custom with factory Kahler back. I routinely search the internet for it but never have any luck.
  • Like 1

NEW YORK — A guitar used by John Lennon in recording sessions for Beatles albums "Help!" and "Rubber Soul" sold for $2,857,500, including buyer's premium, at Julien’s Auctions on Wednesday morning.

The price is a record for any Beatles guitar, topping the previous record-holder sold by Julien’s in 2015. That Lennon guitar, which he used to compose “I Want to Hold Your Hand,” “Please, Please Me,” “From Me to You” and “All My Loving” sold for $2.41 million.

Julien’s had placed an estimate of $600,000 to $800,000 on the guitar. (Credit: Julien's Auctions) Julien’s had placed an estimate of $600,000 to $800,000 on the guitar. (Credit: Julien's Auctions)

Unseen for more than 50 years, Lennon, who acquired the 1964 Framus Hootenanny 5/024 12-string acoustic guitar in 1964, gifted the instrument to Gordon Waller, a member of the 1960s pop duo Peter and Gordon.

Waller’s manager placed the guitar in his attic, where it was left until recently surfacing. The owner reportedly told stories of the guitar over the years, but believed it to be long lost, until his son uncovered it during a move.

“Finding this remarkable instrument is like finding a lost Rembrandt or Picasso, and it still looks and plays like a dream after having been preserved in an attic for more than 50 years,” Darren Julien, Julien’s Auctions co-founder and executive director, said in a statement. “To awaken this sleeping beauty is a sacred honor and is a great moment for music, Julien’s, Beatles and auction history.”

Also played by George Harrison, the guitar sold as part of Julien's Music Icons auction at the Hard Rock Cafe.

Julien’s had placed an estimate of $600,000 to $800,000 on the guitar, which it said was “considered the most important Beatles guitar ever to come to market.”

Julien's held its Music Icons auction at the Hard Rock Cafe on Wednesday. (Credit: Will Stern) Julien's held its Music Icons auction at the Hard Rock Cafe on Wednesday. (Credit: Will Stern)

The Beatles shared multiple connections with Peter and Gordon, as they recorded multiple Paul McCartney-written songs. McCartney even dated Peter Asher’s sister.

McCartney’s famous stolen 1961 Höfner Bass was announced to be found and returned to in February of this year, not long after commencing a worldwide search called “Lost Bass project” which sought to recover the instrument that McCartney used in the early days of the Beatles in Hamburg and at the Cavern Club.

The top two most valuable guitars ever sold publicly belong to Kurt Cobain: His MTV Unplugged guitar ($6.01 million in June 2021) and “Smells Like Teen Spirit” guitar ($4.55 million in May 2022).

Will Stern is a reporter and editor for cllct.

Well, in the second half-century of my life, I now have my first ever electric guitar. I've had Mom's acoustic classical since her arthritis got bad, a bass since the mid-90s, and of course the cello since the 80s.

But now I've got all these effects VSTs including an astonishingly good array of amp simulators, so I grabbed something I can plug in, at long last...

20240528_111835.thumb.jpg.6746dbeb6be4189ac961c55a889d19ab.jpg

...a $220 Yamaha Pacifica.

Arrived yesterday and played it for hours. My fingers still hurt... so I was only able to play another hour today. Adjusted the truss rod, today, too... it's a little convex from the factory.

Definitely not as well shielded as a better guitar would be, but it sounds really, really good for something so cheap. Other than that and just being a little on the heavy side (weighs more than my Ibanez fretless bass) it really doesn't have any flaws; action is just fine, no buzzes, just a guitar.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Well, in the second half-century of my life, I now have my first ever electric guitar. I've had Mom's acoustic classical since her arthritis got bad, a bass since the mid-90s, and of course the cello since the 80s.

But now I've got all these effects VSTs including an astonishingly good array of amp simulators, so I grabbed something I can plug in, at long last...

20240528_111835.thumb.jpg.6746dbeb6be4189ac961c55a889d19ab.jpg

...a $220 Yamaha Pacifica.

Arrived yesterday and played it for hours. My fingers still hurt... so I was only able to play another hour today. Adjusted the truss rod, today, too... it's a little convex from the factory.

Definitely not as well shielded as a better guitar would be, but it sounds really, really good for something so cheap. Other than that and just being a little on the heavy side (weighs more than my Ibanez fretless bass) it really doesn't have any flaws; action is just fine, no buzzes, just a guitar.

With a Pacifica, you’ll have to start following these girls. 

• Drool 2

What ever happened to the 82?

I’d give anything to have my 85 Custom with factory Kahler back. I routinely search the internet for it but never have any luck.

It remains in a place of honor at Chez Fuck. I still play it with some frequency.

The factory Kahler had to be a super rare option for a limited time. I keep an eye on LP Customs and I don’t think I’ve ever seen one come up.

7b5f9f726a7c55d535f20e23981a804d.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Drool 2

Posted (edited)

What is that sg? Tweedy?

how is the tuning stability with that tremolo, and is the truss cover the only part that has signature bullshit on it (if it is in fact a tweedy)?

Edited by Celery Man
  • Like 1

The factory Kahler had to be a super rare option for a limited time. I keep an eye on LP Customs and I don’t think I’ve ever seen one come up.

I ordered it that way from Buzzy Murphy at Murphy’s Music in Irving Mall. Summer of 85. Made layaway payments all summer. Got it home just before schools started senior year.

Exactly like this but white.

https://www.sweetwater.com/used/listings/144336-used-gibson-les-paul-custom-with-tremolo?mrkgadid=&mrkgcl=28&mrkgen=&mrkgbflag=&mrkgcat=&acctid=21700000001645388&dskeywordid=&lid=58700008520547157&dsproductgroupid=&product_id=GX-144336&prodctry=ZZ&prodlang=en&channel=online&storeid=&device=m&network=x&matchtype=&adpos=largenumber&locationid=9030672&creative=&targetid=&campaignid=20494022041&awsearchcpc=&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIof-M7v61hgMVbNTCBB0xWwJ2EAQYAyABEgJn-_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

c7bbf00749df4e6959935a4e2b509610.jpg

The locking nut deleted the word “Custom” on the truss rod cover.
  • Like 1

What is that sg? Tweedy?
how is the tuning stability with that tremolo, and is the truss cover the only part that has signature bullshit on it (if it is in fact a tweedy)?

Yes it’s a Tweedy. The truss rod cover and white pick guard are really the only things that set it apart. The lyre vibrato is for shit. As long as I don’t touch the vibrato it stays in tune. It’s the only guitar I’ve ever had brand new out of the box. My wife got it for me with the help of a good friend. It’s never left the house. I do enjoy it. Enough so that I’ve considered buying a beater used SG to gig out with.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Random Saturday post. Just watched this video again. The people on this site that have ever heard of Rory Gallagher are on the thread.

Unreal performance and here is his strat, lots of blood, sweat and tears on this bad boy.

There is a video of Noel Gallagher stopping by Gallaghers family’s house just so he could play around with it.

30a09626b2cf71d36080107654946088.jpg

294afbfaf4e8a57256813e3d8c035ba8.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)

So now that I have 2 guitars, a bass, and a cello, I'm wondering about ways to keep things in my room.

Was originally thinking wall hangers, but now I'm looking at those racks where you just lean em sideways. Most racks won't fit the cello, but it should stay in its case when not being played anyway... or be in something where I can leave the endpin out.

Recommendations? Go cheap, or is something wood/pricey worth the cash?

71cVcDe+ThL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_

relevant picture

Edited by Rimbo

Posted (edited)

Another option would be the Fender case rack. You can adjust the bottom cushions to whatever width you need. I'm not sure if the upper portion is tall enough to accommodate your cello. They come in 3, 5, or 7 slot models. Tweed or Tolex outer finish. Road runner makes a less expensive version. I have one and like it. But my cat sleeps in it.

Image 2.jpeg

Image.jpeg

Edited by topochico
  • Haha 1

Repost of my sunburst Sunday to show the string swing case and guitar stand -

IMG_8091.thumb.jpeg.e570fb6135e6b80e75312f914efc009f.jpeg

before getting this thing I had the …. On-stage stands 6 or 7 guitar rack. This one is I think a fair bit pricier but it looks nicer and holds the guitars more securely, and takes up less space. IMO the rack is great for keeping lots of guitars out without just having them hanging everywhere.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Thanks. Dunno that I need wall art, but "the stand never gets used" is a pretty strong argument. Also, looking into the stands, those that claim to fit a cello then say (*3/4ths or smaller) -- not a full-sized cello, not even a 7/8ths-hacked-into-full-length-sized one like mine.

Though I confess I'm still leaning towards the stand because I'm lazy about finding an attractive location, drilling holes, etc. Also my room's a work in progress still and I don't have a spot that I'm convinced will be permanent...

FINALLY convinced the wife to give me the spare room no one uses. So gonna wall hang as much of my collection I can and move my amps up there ASAP. Start breaking the bed down and moving things to storage Monday. I can’t change the wall color but don’t care. Rock n roll will be played. This is the room as it sits now IMG_5862.thumb.jpeg.9d1dec67fd767d0e8a109314f9fe4ef7.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

FINALLY convinced the wife to give me the spare room no one uses. So gonna wall hang as much of my collection I can and move my amps up there ASAP. Start breaking the bed down and moving things to storage Monday. I can’t change the wall color but don’t care. Rock n roll will be played. This is the room as it sits now IMG_5862.thumb.jpeg.9d1dec67fd767d0e8a109314f9fe4ef7.jpeg

If you need help figuring out how to properly dispose of that comforter, the folks in Ohio can help you out.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2024 at 1:30 PM, jimmyjazz said:

My least favorite guitar show moment:  I was dating a gal but had met a gal who would become my (starter) wife.  I'm not the kind to cheat, I hadn't strayed any farther than Jimmy Carter did.  So my then-girlfriend and I went to a guitar show at the Austin Convention Center, and I fell in love with a mid-70s Fender Strat.  I mean, I was drooling.  We moved along, and separated for a bit for bathroom/drink break, and when we were ready to leave, she says "just a minute, I have something for you".  She had arranged to buy that Strat for me.  I was apoplectic, I was literally going to (and did) break up with her that night.  I managed to push back enough on such a generous gift -- like mid-$3K range -- and we got out of there.  I did the deed a few hours later.

I'm a dumbass.

I have the same story except it was a Pittsburgh Penguins jersey. 

Your story is better. 

On 5/27/2024 at 1:57 PM, CTC2 said:

Picked up one of these travel guitars off the Stupid Deal of the Hour off of MF.  $150.  Traveling a lot this summer so I figured what the hell. 

IMG_9833.jpeg

There's another mini guitar for sale today in stupid deals for $99. I'm tempted to get one but I have giant hands (glove size xxxl) and I don't think I'll be able to play it.

2 hours ago, ajax said:

There's another mini guitar for sale today in stupid deals for $99. I'm tempted to get one but I have giant hands (glove size xxxl) and I don't think I'll be able to play it.

Mine came in the other day and I decided to keep it. Took it in for a set up. I have huge hands with skinny fingers. Able to play it pretty well. For what it is I’m happy with it. Perfect for carrying on a plane. Solid padded case with backpack straps. 
If traveling by car I’d take one of my regular ones. But, if you don’t have the space and just want to work on something or just mess around it’s perfect.