The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

There's another mini guitar for sale today in stupid deals for $99. I'm tempted to get one but I have giant hands (glove size xxxl) and I don't think I'll be able to play it.

Good review of it. Looks like it’s still there and normally over $200.

ordered the guitar hooks, y'all convinced me, though now I've gotta find a new place for the Dave Kellett sketches

Sondery Guitar Hanger Wall Mount, Auto Lock and Adjustable Hook Holder for Acoustic and Electric Guitar, Ukulele, Bass, Banjo and Mandolin, NOT for Nitro Finish https://a.co/d/7nWojXR

re: tiny guitars, I've got enough trouble fitting my fingers onto a REGULAR guitar's fretboard, much less one of those itty bitty things...

3 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

My floor stand is in the closet. This leaves more room for amps on the floor. About to order a new section of this hanger. 612fcacea567a3c128006359190b4dae.jpg

oh hey! I recognize the little blue Presonus there! Finally ditched mine because of the lack of driver support... couldn't get latency below 10ms, and even getting down to 10ms required some real sacrifices to the point I couldn't get anything working.

Replaced it with the Focusrite 4i4 4th gen and haven't been happier. It's new enough that there are still some bugs, but all in all it's sooooooo much better.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

oh hey! I recognize the little blue Presonus there! Finally ditched mine because of the lack of driver support... couldn't get latency below 10ms, and even getting down to 10ms required some real sacrifices to the point I couldn't get anything working.

Replaced it with the Focusrite 4i4 4th gen and haven't been happier. It's new enough that there are still some bugs, but all in all it's sooooooo much better.

Next on my list.  I haven't used the prosonus in a long time....recording at a buddies house instead.  Just haven't gotten around to replacing this one.  Thanks for the tip and reminder.  

I'm also replacing the pups in the Epi 339 and the bridge in the Gretsch (sitting on the floor)

Edited by hullabelew
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

Next on my list.  

Yeah. Half the reason I bought the guitar was just so I could try out the Softube Marshall Silver Jubilee 2555 VST that came for free with it (along with a dozen other freebiesI haven't yet bothered with).

Of course then I discovered the amp sims that came with Zenology FX (including a 5150 and a Marshall 1959) and I've barely touched that one since.

But what really blew me away was the quality of the preamps the 4th edition has. The 4th edition, among other things, has the same preamps Focusrite's rack mount studio gear uses... including the headphone preamp. It's so much better what the cheap Presonus has...

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm digging that Tele.

Thanks.  It's a 99 Mexican Nashville Tele.  Bought it used in 2001 for $200.  Didn't have a mark on it at the time.  Probably my favorite to play.  Funny that I have all of these hollow bodies.....never really thought about it.  I have one more solid body Gretsch with a P90 in the neck and a filtertron (very weak) in the bridge.  That, the Hohner 12 string and the Taylor are the only new guitars I own right now.  Red Epi is a 62 Century with a single, nasty P90 in it.  Finicky as hell with that wood, movable bridge, but through a Vox amp, it speaks in tongues.  

5 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

True. But want to know more about that white falcon. You been holding out on us?

Not a true Falcon.  I went down to buy a light green version of that guitar.   This one was hanging up.   It was, at the time, last years model.  I told the guy I would be embarrassed to own that guitar because of the White Falcon look.  I said, "You can't make it cheap enough for me to buy it."   He did.  I play in one band with a lead singer who sounds like Elvis.  We don't do any Elvis hits....mostly obscure stuff, and then pick other songs that Elvis should have sung...."I'm A Believer", Buddy Holly stuff, Travelin' Wilburys, bunch of Johnny Cash and Springsteen stuff, Bill Withers, etc.   That guitar it perfect for that stuff.  Mother Fucker has NO sustain.  Tremolo, Delay, Reverb.....it's magical.  

• Like 2

Wall hangers arrived today.

Son helped me hang em up. Bass is a little close to the wall and the spacing ain't 100% even -- couldn't be, with the limited space and different widths.

20240605_180047.thumb.jpg.55b166438e437e0f2890d40c7a185eb4.jpg

From left to right...

1984 Peavey Combo 300 (floor)

1994(?) Ibanez SDGR SR400FL

1960s Sorrento

17th century cello, English (foreground)

2024 Yamaha Pacifica 012 DLX

1989 Ensoniq VFXsd

literally every one of these is made in the least cool country possible for each in their era, lol

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I drag my nails on my strumming hand, which is probably bad technique but also I think part of how I make it sound like I want it to? I dunno, I've been playing along with some bluegrass stuff and really wore down the fingernail on my index finger, which then became a little painful. I should push my pick out a bit more and change the angle I'm holding it but also I just bought some nail hardener and have been in my office carefully doing my nails. Counting down until someone comments on how shiny my nails are.

21 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I drag my nails on my strumming hand, which is probably bad technique but also I think part of how I make it sound like I want it to? I dunno, I've been playing along with some bluegrass stuff and really wore down the fingernail on my index finger, which then became a little painful. I should push my pick out a bit more and change the angle I'm holding it but also I just bought some nail hardener and have been in my office carefully doing my nails. Counting down until someone comments on how shiny my nails are.

I've been wanting to up my fingerpicking game and using nail hardner on my right had but I'm rough I guess cause they keep breaking.

Saw a video where James Taylor basically has fiberglass nails. Quite the ordeal he goes thru to keep his up.

Posted (edited)

I don't use a pick. Somehow my nails are just fine.

Eat lots of gelatin.

Shattering my pick hand pretty much ended using a pick for me. I just can't grip them.

Edited by Deej

6 hours ago, Nole-4-Life said:

I've been wanting to up my fingerpicking game and using nail hardner on my right had but I'm rough I guess cause they keep breaking.

Saw a video where James Taylor basically has fiberglass nails. Quite the ordeal he goes thru to keep his up.

I had a family friend (dead...he'd be almost 85 now) who was a Merle Travis disciple.  (He's also the guy that left me the Charlie Christian, for which I'm eternally grateful).  

He was doing the fake nail thing in the '70's.  The invention of super glue was a great thing for him. 

He also led a VERY unhealthy lifestyle...a shitload of pills and booze, so I'm sure his nails weren't the healthiest to start with. 

• Like 1

I wonder how hard something like this would be to fix. The most I've done on guitars is replacing input jacks and swapping out pickups. This might need a while new neck.

Screenshot_20240608_142822_eBay.thumb.jpg.5534f00d5255f0dee68e04a971f825a3.jpg

Screenshot_20240608_142835_eBay.jpg.73b0b6e90b01143e8db07d33e6cdf481.jpg

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Deej said:

I don't use a pick. Somehow my nails are just fine.

Eat lots of gelatin.

Shattering my pick hand pretty much ended using a pick for me. I just can't grip them.

You’re not asking for tips but if I was in your shoes I’d buy these -

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HE112P--herco-flat-thumbpicks-medium-gauge-players-pack?mrkgadid=&mrkgcl=28&mrkgen=gpla&mrkgbflag=1&mrkgcat=drums&percussion&acctid=21700000001645388&dskeywordid=&lid=58700008695999512&dsproductgroupid=&product_id=HE112P&prodctry=US&prodlang=en&channel=online&storeid=&device=m&network=x&matchtype=&adpos=largenumber&locationid=9009718&creative=&targetid=&campaignid=21161059670&awsearchcpc=&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwgpCzBhBhEiwAOSQWQdmflr8eFpZ-gKgLXLaFunOt6XM3KhqE8WMkN4TIoPYJ4-ZD08rekRoCJw8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

maybe in a heavier gauge 

27 minutes ago, ajax said:

I wonder how hard something like this would be to fix. The most I've done on guitars is replacing input jacks and swapping out pickups. This might need a while new neck.

Screenshot_20240608_142822_eBay.thumb.jpg.5534f00d5255f0dee68e04a971f825a3.jpg

Screenshot_20240608_142835_eBay.jpg.73b0b6e90b01143e8db07d33e6cdf481.jpg

Probably not terribly expensive to get a tech to fix that

Edited by Celery Man

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

You’re not asking for tips but if I was in your shoes I’d buy these

Thanks. I've tried them. Couldn't get used to them. Moved to much heavier picks, etc. but I can't keep a firm grip and they move around on me. Still occasionally use them, but I'm more accurate and comfortable with just my fingers after 8 years of a fucked up hand.

Edited by Deej

7 hours ago, Deej said:

Thanks. I've tried them. Couldn't get used to them. Moved to much heavier picks, etc. but I can't keep a firm grip and they move around on me. Still occasionally use them, but I'm more accurate and comfortable with just my fingers after 8 years of a fucked up hand.

Have you tried these massive picks? You may be able to handle one of them. 

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/7A0292F9-2CD5-45D4-9B2C-7ECF11C22554?ingress=2&visitId=c636f094-e5ab-4535-9b5b-9a58fa87a294&store_ref=bl_ast_dp_brandLogo_sto&ref_=ast_bln

Posted (edited)

Those things look like ninja stars. Which made me try and remember if there was a guy playing guitar in the Foot Clan hideout in the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie. And in retrospect goddamn the Foot Clan was so cool

image.thumb.png.5742c9d0536800b3abd4f312e580e984.png

i want to join this club now

lol that's sam rockwell

kinda off topic for this thread but I'm having a.... I guess I'm old enough where this is maybe just a slight mid-life crisis, or at least I'm reflecting on my early adulthood and wanting to take ownership for the good parts as well as the bad parts. Anyways, I framed some albums and stuff and am going to start trying to collect more concert posters, I'm really loving the vibe it has added to my room

IMG_8492.thumb.jpeg.c4f551bec9df2e030528df64eef26486.jpeg

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, Celery Man said:

kinda off topic for this thread but I'm having a.... I guess I'm old enough where this is maybe just a slight mid-life crisis, or at least I'm reflecting on my early adulthood and wanting to take ownership for the good parts as well as the bad parts. Anyways, I framed some albums and stuff and am going to start trying to collect more concert posters, I'm really loving the vibe it has added to my room

IMG_8492.thumb.jpeg.c4f551bec9df2e030528df64eef26486.jpeg

I like the way those albums are framed.  Really good look.  Most of my concert posters were hanging in my office but I recently brought them all home.  Need to do something with them in my basement.  

Edited by hullabelew

While we're waiting for Bogey's exciting announcement, someone here who shall not be named, but who's handle may or may not rhyme with SchmoredSchmo, tried to get me to buy an awesome guitar that I really want but probably don't need.  Fortunately for my wallet, but not my collections, it got snatched up while I was dicking around thinking about whether I really needed a third LP, or which LP I'd sell to make room for another LP.  

In any case, it got me to thinking about my checklist.  The guitars that I would like to have, but don't, that would make my collection "complete" - as if such a thing were even possible.  So what are the gaps in your guitar collection as you see them?  I'll start:

I don't have any Rickenbackers.  I'd love a 360F, a 360-12, the oven knobbed version of the 325 (like Lennon) and/or a 4001.

Gibsons, I don't have a mini bucker guitar (like a Firebird, say). I also don't have any ES-335/45/55 variation.  Definitely need one of those.  And ultimately I think I'd like to trade my LP r8 for an R9 or R0.  I just prefer a little thinner neck, though every time I pick up my R8, I wonder why I ever say that.  So that's probably why it's still hanging on my wall.  

I have no Gretches either, so maybe a Duo Jet and/or a Chet Atkins.

Finally, I have no actual Fenders in my guitar collection, just partscasters with maybe some Fender bits on them, but definitely with Fender inspiration.  To remedy that, I'd like an Electric XII and a 73 Telecaster Deluxe, preferably with a tremolo.  

Now you all go.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Definitely Gretsch or Rickenbacker...and Hummingbird. I've a mind to travel to the cursed DFW area to sound a 'bird & sacrifice the Taylor pretty if it speaks to me. 

..or wait til SshmoredSchmo tires of his Gibby acoustic and steal it. 

• Haha 1

This SchmoredSchmo sounds like a real asshole.

I've got the Les Paul, Strat, Tele, Martin & Gibson acoustic that I want and I would have a real hard time finding an improvement to any one of these for what they represent.  They all look, sound and play exceptionally.

image.thumb.jpeg.b2a500d02ecc0d1b7b79b672edf967f7.jpeg

I guess I kind of have a notion that it would be nice to have a cherry red ES-335 in there and a jumbo Guild 12 string acoustic, but I'm out of space and don't want to part with anything to be able to add them, so...

Check back in two weeks.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Goredho said:

This SchmoredSchmo sounds like a real asshole.

I've got the Les Paul, Strat, Tele, Martin & Gibson acoustic that I want and I would have a real hard time finding an improvement to any one of these for what they represent.  They all look, sound and play exceptionally.

image.thumb.jpeg.b2a500d02ecc0d1b7b79b672edf967f7.jpeg

I guess I kind of have a notion that it would be nice to have a cherry red ES-335 in there and a jumbo Guild 12 string acoustic, but I'm out of space and don't want to part with anything to be able to add them, so...

Check back in two weeks.

That is what is known as a killer line up.

• Hook 'Em 2

335.  I don’t have a 335.

In the acoustic side, a D18 and really a J45. I have a J45 but it is a J45 custom with rosewood back and sides. I don’t have an all solid mahogany body spruce topped dreadnought or jumbo.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I'm actually toying with the idea of selling the Charlie Christian, and taking the proceeds and buying a super-nice Tele (custom shop or vintage?), a "great" amp, and a very nice Martin. 

The value of the Gibson is in the collectability, not the playability. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

There's a line in "Raising Arizona" about H I trying to walk the narrow path after getting married, but "finding myself driving past convenience stores that*ain't* on the way home."

Things I drive past on Reverb that ain't on the way home:  000-28, one particular 1990's Custom Shop Thinline Tele.  

5 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

I have no actual Fenders in my guitar collection

mind blown .gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Now you all go.  

I'd like a J Macis Jazzmaster or if I'm feeling really spendy (for me) a Johnny Marr Jaguar. And then something for heavier stuff, like a Schecter with a sustainiac.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1