The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

There's a line in "Raising Arizona" about H I trying to walk the narrow path after getting married, but "finding myself driving past convenience stores that*ain't* on the way home."
Things I drive past on Reverb that ain't on the way home:  000-28, one particular 1990's Custom Shop Thinline Tele.  
mind blown .gif

Well, come to think of it I have both a P Bass, a J Bass and a Champion lap steel. But no standard guitars.

My dad has both a Strat and a Tele, so I figure he has me covered.

I really want a Hummingbird, J200 or a J45.  I keep going back and forth on which one I want.....first.  I also have really liked Reverend guitars when I tried them out.  
Also been kind of digging this Charlie Starr model.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I really want a Hummingbird, J200 or a J45.  I keep going back and forth on which one I want.....first.

I “think” I want one of these. I love the idea of all of them. But it’s hard to say for sure because I’ve never played either. No one in Phx carries these in inventory. It’s annoying because I would live to play them. But I ain’t buying no high end acoustic that I don’t fall in live with while playing. Too risky imo.
  • Hook 'Em 3

If any of ya'll live in Austin or visit, pretty much everything everyone has mentioned on their list is likely at Austin Vintage Guitars and they'll be happy to let you see if you fall in love with something on their rack.

Gonna add a third to my list, and this one I may actually get.  I want a late 90s Fender Lonestar strat SSH with the seymour duncan pearly gates in the bridge to replace a Charvel superstrat I own.  Example...

hfcmnzsyoiics45vajhf.jpg

Edited by Goredho
listing the charvel now...
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I have a lonestar strat that I bought in the late 90s.  Its great.  At some point I swapped out the humbucker for a single coil and ditched the pearl pickguard for a more classic strat vibe.  Its as good or better than any other modern strat I have played.  

• Like 1

Was down the street saw FedEx and was sprinting at the truck and he drove off! Then went to FedEx to pick it up and on the interwebz it’s said 8pm close and when I got there at 7:32pm they closed at 7:30. Fml

I think it depends on how hot/humid it is, and how expensive the guitar.

A couple years back, when I paid a lot for a guitar that got delivered in mid-summer, I was a good boy and waited until the next day.  

* disclaimer:  I also think that sailing a boat against the wind is pure witchcraft.... so maybe not the top science guy here.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I think in some cases you could maybe fuck up a nitro finish. Like, if there was some huge temperature/humidity differential between where the guitar has been and your home, it could craze and/or get cloudy. But I think that this is highly not likely to be an issue in June in Michigan.,

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

I think in some cases you could maybe fuck up a nitro finish. Like, if there was some huge temperature/humidity differential between where the guitar has been and your home, it could craze and/or get cloudy. But I think that this is highly not likely to be an issue in June in Michigan.,

It’s 90 today 

4 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Great looking Martin.

What makes the D41 different than a D28?

I think they're pretty similar, but the 41 has more fancy trimwork. Maybe some differences in the bracing. I think the wood is the same I could be wrong.

I have an HD28 and LOVE it.

Edited by Nole-4-Life

There have been changes in bracing and placement, "forward shifted" versus not forward shifted, etc over the years, and so this description of the difference is only mostly correct

So, Martin introduces the D28 in the 1930s. It has certain characteristics and herringbone purfling around the top of the guitar. WWII breaks out and the herringbone goes away because that part came from Germany, and around the same time they switch from scalloped bracing to straight bracing. In the 1970s, a market has developed for pre-war Martins and so Martin figures out how to make a pre-war spec 28 and also realize that the bracing shifted towards ths soundhole in this period. So they introduce the HD-28, which has scalloped and forward shifted bracing, as well as the herringbone detail on the top of the guitar, meant to have the more open and dynamic sound of pre-war Martins. People also still love the tight and powerful sound of the 1950s Martins and so the D-28 remains on the market. 

The D41 came out in the late 60s. I'm not sure the exact timeline of that model, but generally speaking (and for sure true of bogey's as well as mine from 2001) it is highly similar to an HD-28 with different cosmetic appointments and with wood pulled from a higher graded stack. Scalloped bracing, forward shifted, spruce (for sure sitka, not sure when they switched from east coast appalachia adirondack to pacific northwest sitka) top, east indian rosewood back and sides. Abalone on the top, fretboard, headstock, and string pins. Cool looking pattern inlay on the back strip. The D45 in comparison has abalone on the back and sides as well as the top, and is pretty identifiable by the abalone outlining the part of the fretboard that sits on the body. The wood is graded visually, I don't know exactly what characteristics they look for in the spruce to be rated more highly. Curious what the ebony is like these days on standard d/hd28s vs d41s, wouldn't surprise me if the 40 series Martins get the jet black and the 28s have a bit of white on them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Also just cause I have them - hd28 and d41 side by side. They are highly similar guitars, sonically - I love them both, it is silly that I have them both.
IMG_3515.thumb.jpeg.788541f926e1068b1a4f4e97742a4644.jpeg

Speaking as a guy with three 2 humbucker guitars hanging on the wall across from him right now, let’s all give each other some grace and reserve judgment on the “similar guitars” thing.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Chad Fuck said:

Speaking as a guy with three 2 humbucker guitars hanging on the wall across from him right now, let’s all give each other some grace and reserve judgment on the “similar guitars” thing.

Shit, I have a fantasy of owning multiple pastel Teles that are identical in all ways except color, just to match multiple ugly plaid sportscoats for shows.

I guess I need to put together a band good enough to get some shows first.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Shit, I have a fantasy of owning multiple pastel Teles that are identical in all ways except color, just to match multiple ugly plaid sportscoats for shows.

Don't let your dreams be dreams!

• Haha 1

Gather round and listen up people.

This is how you do it.