The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

3 hours ago, noharleyyet said:

Should add...topochico is a conscientious seller and a damn good dude. 

noharleyyet is too kind. He was awesome to work with.  I am especially appreciative that he did not murder me and simply steal the guitar like the standard Craigslist buyer. 

Next time, I will definitely take you up on lunch! Glad the Bird remains in the pron family. 

Edited by topochico
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Well I’ve played for nickels on a street corner too. So the only thing separating me from the Rev Billy G is some good luck, right? Right?*

*in addition to skill, business sense, maybe some grit, professional drive, and the all important je ne c’est sais quoi. But those are clearly minor distinctions.
  • Hook 'Em 2

man one of the all time greatest "gigs" of my life was when I was 13 years old, I had my strat and one of those little battery powered Vox AC1 amps and my friend had his pearl export series drum kit and somehow we were signed up to man the salvation army Christmas donation bucket outside of Best Buy. Fuck them bells, drums and guitar. I have no idea what we even played but we probably raised $27.

We later formed our first couple of bands together. He went off to study music in college and then conservatory and lets see what weird shit he's up to now

I got a problem you guys. I just bought one of these.
Yamaha-Revstar-Standard-HERO@2560x1625.thumb.jpg.75d3b974d8dc6c39c1f19d86282f4768.jpg
That's two new guitars in two weeks.
The new Gretsch is awesome. The note separation and clarity are outstanding. It's really high quality for a cheaper guitar. And so far loving the Revstar. I've never had a p90 before.
Neither of these guitars can do metal, lol. I think I need a 7 string.

I don’t see any problems.
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Someone else here has one of those, right? Supposed to be great.

Me. I love it. I have the Standard which is the mid tier version. Carbon reinforced neck, chambered mahogany body and maple cap, SS frets and the P90's sound great. It's a lot of guitar for $700 

IMG_7462.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Supposed to be great.

Yes it is. I'm pretty sure at some point in the near future I'll be buying the humbucker version.

They're $850 now. Still a great deal for what you get.

The Charvel sold so I pulled the trigger on a ‘97 Lonestar Strat.  It has got a great neck, and the Texas specials combined with the overwound Pearly Gates in the bridge cover a large amount of tonal ground.  Super versatile tonally and feels and plays just right. 

IMG_5902.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

The Charvel sold so I pulled the trigger on a ‘97 Lonestar Strat.  It has got a great neck, and the Texas specials combined with the overwound Pearly Gates in the bridge cover a large amount of tonal ground.  Super versatile tonally and feels and plays just right. 

IMG_5902.thumb.jpeg.1c408bcea153835974b4296ac44a2a63.jpeg

You’re my guitar flipping hero man.

I buy them and even when I want to get rid of them they somehow hang around!
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

You’re my guitar flipping hero man.

I buy them and even when I want to get rid of them they somehow hang around!

Eh, I do ok when I'm conscientious about buys.  Guitars are easy to move when you buy at the right price and have some built-in margin to work with on the resale.

That said, I probably lost about $100 on the Charvel with shipping and reverb fees.  But I owned it and played it for about 3 months, long enough to really get a feel for it and decide it wasn't what I was after.   If I could have rented it for 3 months for $100, I would have.

What I really wish existed is a guitar-of-the-month club.  $X a month, you get shipped a new guitar each month with a purchase price offer. At the end of the month, if you like it, you keep it and your card on file gets hit for the purchase price.  If you don't like it, you ship it back and the guitar continues its journey until it finds a home.  I am sure it's a horribly unviable business model or someone would have done it already, but as a consumer, that's what I want.

40 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Lone Star Special strat has to rank at or near the top of non-standard strat models.

It's still early, and I could eventually decide this isn't what I am looking for, but yeah.  I doubt this is going anywhere anytime soon.  It is already in strong contention for a desert island guitar for me.  A single guitar that could cover just about every style I like to dabble in.  You could perform Hendrix's "Wind Cries Mary", Alice In Chains' "Rooster" and anything in between with this and a blue/red channel amp.  Throw something like a 5150 pedal in front and you can extend it to Metallica's "Sad But True".  You wouldn't want to use it for something like drop C djent chugging, but for everything short of that, it can pull it off just fine.

Edited by Goredho
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Somebody explain Pearly Gates pickups to me.  Maybe point at some recordings where they're obvious . . . I assume it's a Billy Gibbons vibe, but what songs?

Basically hot PAF style pickups from Seymour Duncan aiming at the pickups in Billy Gibbon's 59 Les Paul.  Allegedly, SD partnered with Fender to overwind these from the normal Pearly Gates spec to better match the output of the Texas Specials.  Some people call them "Pearly Gates Plus".  There are some tone samples on the SD site here https://www.seymourduncan.com/single-product/pearly-gates and lots of stuff on Youtube.

I recorded this solo with the PG last night for a song the band has in the works.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Goredho said:

Basically hot PAF style pickups from Seymour Duncan aiming at the pickups in Billy Gibbon's 59 Les Paul.  Allegedly, SD partnered with Fender to overwind these from the normal Pearly Gates spec to better match the output of the Texas Specials.  Some people call them "Pearly Gates Plus".  There are some tone samples on the SD site here https://www.seymourduncan.com/single-product/pearly-gates and lots of stuff on Youtube.

I recorded this solo with the PG last night for a song the band has in the works.

Dude that sounds bad ass!

• Like 1

Just now, Chad Fuck said:

Dude that sounds bad ass!

Thanks, man.  Then flip the switch forward and you basically have typical strat sounds in the 3, 4 and 5 position.  The one semi-desirable strat sound the Lonestar doesn't seem to do super well is the clucky Knopfler sound in the 2 position, but I need to try with some different amp models that are better for that.  I don't think the pearly gates is split/tapped when in that position so it doesn't sound as close to an SSS strat in position 2 as I've heard with SSH's where the humbucker splits, but I wasn't really trying to achieve that sound, either.  Will see what I can coax out of the other pickup positions this weekend.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's legit.  Well done.

Speaking of bass guitars . . . OK, we weren't speaking of bass guitars . . . check out this performance by Lake Street Dive on Colbert's show last night.  Their singer tends to get most of the attention, for good reasons, she writes quirky lyrics, sings well, and is oddly easy on the eyes, but this chick on bass has tremendous tone, and her guitar is beautiful, too.  You love to see it.  Not a bad song, either.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Speaking of bass guitars . . . OK, we weren't speaking of bass guitars . . . check out this performance by Lake Street Dive on Colbert's show last night.  Their singer tends to get most of the attention, for good reasons, she writes quirky lyrics, sings well, and is oddly easy on the eyes, but this chick on bass has tremendous tone, and her guitar is beautiful, too.  You love to see it.  Not a bad song, either.

Yeah, I dig her playing a lot.  Some midrange boost and a chorusy sound that fits their groove perfect.  Somewhat Sledgehammery (which is badass in my book).  Their arrangement is sparse enough to have room for the bass to get busy and she does it well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Their good stuff written by the bass chick is strong, worth staying in rotation. The overall depth of the catalog is not that good, other than of course they kick ass at covers,

Edited by DougO

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Anyone tried Stringjoy strings?

Nope.  I don't sweat.  Like, at all.  I can make a set of Pearce or D'Addario strings last a year or more, so I'm not seeking costlier solutions to problems I don't have.

Lessons?  I could use those.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

That was not the graphic I was expecting for a Jenna Jameson "flying V". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

On 6/20/2024 at 12:56 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I got on their bandwagon early, just after that first EP.  Seen them multiple time.   Never seen her play anything but a standup bass.  Really like the way this changes the bands sound.  She plays a killer solo when when they cover Bohemian Rhapsody.  They put on an INCREDIBLE live show, especially if you can catch them in a club, versus an auditorium.  Saw them at the 9:30 Club in DC about 10 years ago while they still had the original lineup.  One of the best shows I've seen.  The girl I took with me had never heard of them.  During the show, she told me, "I'm not gay, but I would do that lead singer".    

On 6/18/2024 at 5:58 PM, tfoolry said:

I love the fact that people actually threw him change. As if he needed the money.

On 6/19/2024 at 1:02 PM, ajax said:

I got a problem you guys. I just bought one of these.

Yamaha-Revstar-Standard-HERO@2560x1625.thumb.jpg.75d3b974d8dc6c39c1f19d86282f4768.jpg

That's two new guitars in two weeks.

The new Gretsch is awesome. The note separation and clarity are outstanding. It's really high quality for a cheaper guitar. And so far loving the Revstar. I've never had a p90 before.

Neither of these guitars can do metal, lol. I think I need a 7 string.

Nonsense. Any electric with a hummbucker on the bridge can do metal. Drop-tune it, crank the mids on your favorite amp and grimace musically.

13 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Uhhh . . . Fiesta Red roasted swamp ash Tele body routed for a neck humbucker, discounted to $395?  Hmmm.

image.png.17c69964763c652ef523c70638e4d45a.png

That looks nice.  I thought about picking up a fiesta red strat body a few years ago, but the appearance of that color online seems to vary quite a bit to the point where I forget what F/R is supposed to look like.  I guess if it has a nitro finish, you'll get some nice fade and it won't matter.