The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

On 6/30/2024 at 1:19 PM, ajax said:

I ended up buying a cheap 7 string and it's awesome for practicing. I keep the seventh string in drop tuning so I can practice heavy riffing and still have standard tuning on strings 1-6. No more having to tune down in between songs. 

If anyone else wants to follow this path, I have an Ibanez 7 string for sale.  I'll post pics later. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I have a maybe dumb question for those of y'all with more than one electric guitar.

So I'm pretty much getting the electric for that Thunk Thunkka and that Dweedle Dee; crank up the gain and the mids until it's about 50% or more scream/fuzz -- you know, metal.

Now this cheapass (but still very nice for the price) Yamaha can get a pretty broad range of sounds between its 3 pickups and everything. The frets are where they should be, it's in tune, it basically has no flaws and it sounds pretty good. By the time I crank the distortion up to levels I appreciate, all the differences in sound that you hear very clearly on a clean channel vanish. You get either a scream or a grunt, just dial in between there.

If I want a clean sound, I got the acoustic for that. And the cello, but that's another thread entirely.

So the question for all you guitar collectors/buffs...

What's the difference? What do you need all those guitars for? I mean, you can only play one at a time, and the amp and the effects are at LEAST half the sound.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I have a maybe dumb question for those of y'all with more than one electric guitar.

So I'm pretty much getting the electric for that Thunk Thunkka and that Dweedle Dee; crank up the gain and the mids until it's about 50% or more scream/fuzz -- you know, metal.

Now this cheapass (but still very nice for the price) Yamaha can get a pretty broad range of sounds between its 3 pickups and everything. The frets are where they should be, it's in tune, it basically has no flaws and it sounds pretty good. By the time I crank the distortion up to levels I appreciate, all the differences in sound that you hear very clearly on a clean channel vanish. You get either a scream or a grunt, just dial in between there.

If I want a clean sound, I got the acoustic for that. And the cello, but that's another thread entirely.

What's the difference? What do you need all those guitars for? I mean, you can only play one at a time, and the amp and the effects are at LEAST half the sound.

giphy.gif"

Need?  NEED?!?

Need's got nothing to do with it, kid. 

I mean you could go back through the whole thread about various nuances of what the pros/cons of various pickups, shapes, configurations are.

But what I NEED is a warm pussy, well fitting shoes and a cool place to drop a deuce. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Need is a very subjective term.  I could make all the music I care to make with a superstrat, an acoustic guitar and a bass.  But different guitars have different character when you aren’t dimed, and they inspire you in different ways.  I pick up my Tele and play it through a fender tweed and start to think, play and write differently than I would with my PRS with a 13k bridge humbucker into a dual rectifier.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Goredho said:

Need is a very subjective term.  I could make all the music I care to make with a superstrat, an acoustic guitar and a bass.  But different guitars have different character when you aren’t dimed, and they inspire you in different ways.  I pick up my Tele and play it through a fender tweed and start to think, play and write differently than I would with my PRS with a 13k bridge humbucker into a dual rectifier.

This is 100% the best non-surly snark answer.  I should have given something like it, but well, @Goredho is just a better man than I.  

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I got a heavier focused guitar to play riffs from my favorite band Bring Me the Horizon.

Example below.

I tried playing this stuff with my Gretsch, which has humbuckers, but it just sounded and felt wrong. Same with my P90 Revstar.

Edited by ajax
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'm not a knob twiddler. I've used very little of the strymon pedals I have - I love the sounds and I'll switch between a few things but mostly I have it set like I like it and I leave it alone. Similar for OD pedals, which I usually just adjust to account for the output level of the guitar. I like the very uncomplicated control setup of my Matchless. I have a "clean" (crunchy glassy clean) setting and a rock distortion setting saved on my postivegrid and that's what i use. Really mostly just use that "clean when soft, gritty when loud" setting and have the distortion thing for when I want to some light chugging. When I played bass I set the EQ flat and then usually just nudged the mids up to sound right in the mix.

Anyways, the guitars for sure sound different. And feel different. Even the ones that are on paper quite similar. I like having lots of guitars out because I'll often switch around to find the mood or sound I'm looking for.

Beyond that of course, I also just like having the guitars.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I'm not a knob twiddler. I've used very little of the strymon pedals I have - I love the sounds and I'll switch between a few things but mostly I have it set like I like it and I leave it alone. Similar for OD pedals, which I usually just adjust to account for the output level of the guitar. I like the very uncomplicated control setup of my Matchless. I have a "clean" (crunchy glassy clean) setting and a rock distortion setting saved on my postivegrid and that's what i use. Really mostly just use that "clean when soft, gritty when loud" setting and have the distortion thing for when I want to some light chugging. When I played bass I set the EQ flat and then usually just nudged the mids up to sound right in the mix.

Anyways, the guitars for sure sound different. And feel different. Even the ones that are on paper quite similar. I like having lots of guitars out because I'll often switch around to find the mood or sound I'm looking for.

Beyond that of course, I also just like having the guitars.

See, I'll tell you that having a different "feel" throws me off. Even going between the two guitars, the width of the neck and everything... it's like I've got to learn the instrument all over again. Where my right hand goes, especially so.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

See, I'll tell you that having a different "feel" throws me off. Even going between the two guitars, the width of the neck and everything... it's like I've got to learn the instrument all over again. Where my right hand goes, especially so.

This is a totally legitimate take. I know a guy who’s been a one guitar fella since the 60s and it’s really worked well for him.

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Yeah that used to bother me a lot more and is still a thing. I think it’s why I didn’t like Gibsons for so long - just used to the Fender or Martin scale. Not to mention all of the other differences in the geometry of the guitar. At this point I’m just kinda used to all of them though, and it’s maybe part of the feel thing that I’m looking for. The way I want to dig out a chord when I’m holding a tele is different than with a Les Paul.

It was an a-ha when I realized that J45s are shorter than Martin dreadnoughts. That’s why the flat picking stuff feels a bit floppier.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Yeah that used to bother me a lot more and is still a thing. I think it’s why I didn’t like Gibsons for so long - just used to the Fender or Martin scale. Not to mention all of the other differences in the geometry of the guitar. At this point I’m just kinda used to all of them though, and it’s maybe part of the feel thing that I’m looking for. The way I want to dig out a chord when I’m holding a tele is different than with a Les Paul.

It was an a-ha when I realized that J45s are shorter than Martin dreadnoughts. That’s why the flat picking stuff feels a bit floppier.

Yeah. And that's because: You've learned all those different guitars. Like me... when I switch to the bass, that I've played since the mid-90s, or the cello, that I've played since the mid-80s, I don't notice the change.

But since I'm basically a guitar novice, while some things transfer over (like how to hammer-on and pull-off, must-haves on the cello) a lot of it is going to be new until I've had a decade or so.

And yeah, I think I'm one of those folks who just likes to get to know a handful of things well... it's why I still use Cakewalk as my DAW, why I've still got the Ensoniq synth... I can program shit on that thing without even thinking about it now.

2 hours ago, tfoolry said:

The full video (7 years ago) is worth watching:

Also: Would

Rimbo, I feel you. 

As you guys (probably won't) may recall, I have two currently. 

The '37 ES-150 "Charlie Christian", and the '79 Peavey T-60.  I'm a shitty player, so going from the fat neck of the Gibson to the skinny T really fucks me up, to the point that I don't even pick up the T anymore, because I feel it's a setback. 

It sucks to suck.

If I could get what they are worth, I'd sell both and find an acoustic and electric that have a closer feel. 

I am in the market for my first American Tele, and I saw Fender just released some limited edition Performer models. That Honeyburst Tele with the satin finish really caught my eye. Any thoughts on a spruce body on a Tele? 

https://www.musicradar.com/news/fender-limited-edition-american-performer-stratocaster-telecaster

I highly suspect that on a guitar like a Tele, outside of the mass/density of the wood there is no fucking difference tonally between the specific tree. I don't know how spruce compares with ash or I supposed alder, but I think I did see something about ash being phased out altogether?

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/fender-will-no-longer-use-ash-bodies-for-production-line-guitars-we-found-out-why-and-what-woods-will-be-used-instead

guess that's old news

spruce is actually interesting for a tele now that I think about it. Seems like a waste of spruce? but.... yeah i want this

image.png.7a5c1413f53e7b9da3c8778fd975cb45.png

(this is from some random googling, no idea what the new limited editions will look like)

• Hook 'Em 2

I’ve got some jingle in my stable’s jangle now.  Bought a Guild F-1512 b-stock/demo and I can’t tell why it would have ever been returned.  Spruce top, rosewood back and sides.  Sounds glorious and plays… well, it plays like a long scale 12 string jumbo acoustic, lol.

IMG_6102.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

I am in the market for my first American Tele, and I saw Fender just released some limited edition Performer models. That Honeyburst Tele with the satin finish really caught my eye. Any thoughts on a spruce body on a Tele? 
https://www.musicradar.com/news/fender-limited-edition-american-performer-stratocaster-telecaster

I have the predecessor to the American Performer, which is the American Special. It’s nice. Looks just like the 2 tone sunburst with black guard tele of the timber line in the link.
  • Hook 'Em 1