The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

15 hours ago, Butch Had Not said:

I've had both the 81/85 and 81/60 EMG sets. 81/60 was far better IMO. Definitely can hear the differences. With that said,  I haven't cranked it in a live setting to know how it will sound and I prefer a seymour duncan JB (I don't have a JB in my neck of my LP, it's a 57 classic) passive set.

I am a metal (classic, modern,  nu) player.

I think I'm gonna have to get my hands on some JB pickups.

On 7/2/2024 at 5:37 PM, Chad Fuck said:

This is a totally legitimate take. I know a guy who’s been a one guitar fella since the 60s and it’s really worked well for him.

giphy.gif

Not so fast, my friend.  From the mid or late '70s:

image.thumb.jpeg.167c5fe3f8d0610bce143cb578431e9a.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ajax said:

Good call. The addition of a battery and the lack of use of a tone knob turned me off of EMG's. The cleans are lacking. I can't put into words, it just doesn't sound like you would want it. The Fishmans have really stepped up from what I have heard and you can get a Heafy epiphone with coil splitting (among other guitars) but I personally haven't tinkered with them to get a real feel if they can play anything besides metal.

A friend is going on vacation and is skittish about leaving guitars around (he’s already been robbed once). Left this with me for the week. I may have posted it previously. Anyhow, a 1972 walnut ES-345.

3fc18671709eb91ef473503efb72ef9e.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

38 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

A friend is going on vacation and is skittish about leaving guitars around (he’s already been robbed once). Left this with me for the week. I may have posted it previously. Anyhow, a 1972 walnut ES-345.

3fc18671709eb91ef473503efb72ef9e.jpg

How does it play?  I've got a 1970 Walnut-finish 335 and it's so "even-playing."  I love it.

On 7/5/2024 at 8:18 PM, BoomMF said:

Unrelated, dig this cupcake topper the in-laws had for my birthday. lol Too cool. It's made with sugar and completely eddieable.

20240323_124109.thumb.jpg.107386d4787f30b624cd6a7fd56867be.jpg

Your in-laws seem pretty cool.

On 7/5/2024 at 9:31 PM, BoomMF said:

That's exactly what it is.  If you heard my playing you wouldn't be surprised to find out my fingers don't always do what I ask.

Side note, they have a video of it being played online:

9 hours ago, ajax said:

Yeah, now see, this is what I mean: Guitar and pickup quality only seems to matter if you're not driving the gain up to metal levels. And on that second video, you can hear the compression kicking in on the EMG; hey, how 'bout you adjust the recording level down a bit so we can hear the EMG's without the added compression? :)

Meanwhile, SF author John Scalzi is one of you:

https://www.threads.net/@jscalzi/post/C9LmAbLMe6e?xmt=AQGzjlrHRo6hr63jabywUVGj2lWekH1uIuMHA9CyHVj3dQ

"I was walking down the street and it followed me home. Can I keep it?"

450539822_1119319555806264_207765166049642337_n.thumb.jpg.310ea4454788cbbab1930ae4319ef6c8.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dcbc said:

How does it play?  I've got a 1970 Walnut-finish 335 and it's so "even-playing."  I love it.

I am in love with this guitar.  I've had a standing watch on Reverb for a walnut 335/45/55.  It plays like a dream.  It has a thinner neck, which is good for me, but not too thin.

It definitely has the vintage vibe. 

Finally, one of my favorite guitar solos of all time is a 345 or 55 (they're not entirely sure) through a Twin.  Mick Taylor on the second part of "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" is my personal bliss state.  So I have a Twin, all I need is one of these.  You can bet I'll be playing it non stop for the next week or so. 

So add all that up, and yeah, this one is on the "must have" list.  Plus it can do jazz (not that I can, heh heh) and all sorts of other tones.  Not just blues.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I am in love with this guitar.  I've had a standing watch on Reverb for a walnut 335/45/55.  It plays like a dream.  It has a thinner neck, which is good for me, but not too thin.

Finally, one of my favorite guitar solos of all time is a 345 or 55 (they're not entirely sure) through a Twin.  Mick Taylor on the second part of "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" is my personal bliss state.  So I have a Twin, all I need is one of these.  You can bet I'll be playing it non stop for the next week or so. 

So add all that up, and yeah, this one is on the "must have" list.  Plus it can do jazz (not that I can, heh heh) and all sorts of other tones.  Not just blues.  

I laugh when people dog on Norlin-era Gibsons.  I'm sure there were some dogs, but there were some gems too.  I've owned mine since 1996.  So, twenty years later, when I read about the dreaded "volute," I was like, "What the hell is a volute?!?"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I laugh when people dog on Norlin-era Gibsons.  I'm sure there were some dogs, but there were some gems too.  I've owned mine since 1996.  So, twenty years later, when I read about the dreaded "volute," I was like, "What the hell is a volute?!?"

100% real talk. Lots of iconic tunes were laid down with Norlin era guitars. Just because they may not be quite as good as the golden era guitars, that by no means is an achievement indicator of low quality.

Same with 65-early 70s Fenders. Are they as good as Pre-65? Absolutely not. Are they bad guitars? Heellll no.
  • Hook 'Em 1

My bandmate has a Norlin era Standard (mid-80s) and a Deluxe (mid-70s).  Both guitars are awesome.  I particularly like the Deluxe, it sounds like a dream through his 50W Marshall half stack.  Pretty much a one trick pony, though.  Nice and trebly.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Not old/vintage, but under 3 grand for Gibson custom shop is a pretty good price these days.

https://reverb.com/item/83044300-gibson-memphis-70s-es-335-block-2017-walnut?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=83044300

IMG_6249.png

IMG_6248.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I just don’t like the skinny nuts that a lot of them have, I’d rather play 1 3/4” than 1 5/8”, but that’s very much a personal preference thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I just don’t like the skinny nuts that a lot of them have, I’d rather play 1 3/4” than 1 5/8”, but that’s very much a personal preference thing.

Absolutely valid reason to avoid these.  It doesn't bother me, particularly once I've been playing it for a about 10 minutes.  It's just one of those things you either mind or you don't. 

I found it at Guitar Resurrection in 1996, bonded with it, and made a deal.  It has one blemish to the headstock, which I put there when I was lifting it over my head to get the strap off and whacked the ceiling fan.  Other than that, it's perfect.  It was speculated to have been left under some kid's bed when he went off to Vietnam, and brought in for sale decades later.  That's how clean it is.  It has some indicators of 1969 (no dot over the Gibson "i", but the serial number says 1970.  Probably an early one.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

To some degree it’s like the Surly propensity for only banging 10s, when we all know that pounding it out on 5-9s is real life.

speak for yourself

• Like 1

I guess my previous post was lost during the hack/outage.

Vintage instruments are cool, but my hope is someday I'll have the tools and the skills to be able to build cool and wacky guitars like this.

I would love to be able to build something for my son, who is 10x the guitarist I am. He fell in love with music instead of falling in love with guitar playing, which is what I did. 

And this pallet wood guitar is really cool. I love the fret markers he put on it. Really subtle and elegant. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

I stumbled onto Ratboys and have been really digging their album that came out last year. Honestly this is the band that most makes me wish I was still touring and doing cool stuff like that - listening to this album I've slowly realized that the lead guitarist is playing the kinds of things that i always wanted to play, and the music generally sounds like 30 somethings who grew up listening to The Get Up Kids and shit like that and have gradually drifted out of emo and towards indie with some country. Which again is me (fuck I'm basically 40). Anyways, this isn't the right thread for it but I don't want to start a new thread and I like this guitarist a lot. His Ibanez LP copy is interesting and now I want a Music Man amp. I recommend listening to their whole album The Window.

• Hook 'Em 2

man Bjork is someone that I never really appreciated back in the 90s, cause I was a kid and she was weird, and then I had a daughter and made an effort to put female singers in my playlists and she worked her way into my algorithms... I fucking love The Sugarcubes and that's a great band names. And the way she conveys emotion with her inflection, I haven't done the deep dive on her catalog that I should but I've come all the way around on her. Emotions are the flavors of music and she does that thing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

man Bjork is someone that I never really appreciated back in the 90s, cause I was a kid and she was weird, and then I had a daughter and made an effort to put female singers in my playlists and she worked her way into my algorithms... I fucking love The Sugarcubes and that's a great band names. And the way she conveys emotion with her inflection, I haven't done the deep dive on her catalog that I should but I've come all the way around on her. Emotions are the flavors of music and she does that thing.

hyperballad, unison,harm of will, venus as a boy...all excellent exemplars of exactly this for you to listen to on your bjork journey.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, she was never top of my list or anything, but I really appreciate her unique style and approach to her music.

On top of that she and Michel Gondry created some crazy visually compelling videos.

She also puts on a hell of a show.  Her set at ACLFest is one I always think of as the kind of thing that makes that festival great.

31 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

So, what are the best humbuckers in a single-coil package?  What do I need to know about matching with volume/tone pots?

Talk to me like I'm the idiot I am.

PRS has some single coil shaped humbuckers called NF (narrowfield) that some people love. No experience with them though.

However, when I was a dumbass teenager with zero knowledge about guitars and wiring I successfully put Duncan Hot Rails in my cheap knockoff strat. Those were great.

Ooh . . . maybe I could do a Hot Rail in the bridge and a Lil 59 in the mid and neck positions?

I'm going to butcher the hell out of this guitar.  I'll have 3X the money in the pickups than I will in the rest of the whole thing.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

So, what are the best humbuckers in a single-coil package?  What do I need to know about matching with volume/tone pots?

Talk to me like I'm the idiot I am.

I have used hot rails and cool rails in the past in combo on a strat, and liked them. I had a hot rail in the bridge and cool rail at the neck. But I didn't really know shit then, not that I do now, haven't plugged it up in years. Ty Tabor of King's X had vintage rails on one of his sig guitars, more of a single coilish sound, more noiseless and not shitty like lace sensors.

The Squier is probably routed for humbuckers already. The easy thing to do nowdays is buy a pre-installed pickguard and just solder it all to the output jack, done deal. They used to have deals for about $65 for the set when I was looking and nearly bought one.

Edited by DougO
  • Hook 'Em 1

Thinking maybe Hot Rails at the bridge and Red Devlis in the mid and neck positions?  More Billy Gibbons?
Now all I need are lessons.

Bullshit. You just need the right equipment to sound like him. Or whoever.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I bought my kid a squire strat about 30 years ago.  He never really got interested, but I know he's still got it.  

I'm wondering if it's  MIJ. 

Mostly likely Korea.  They moved production from Japan to Korea in 1987.  I had a Korean squire Strat in the early 90s, and it was a nice guitar.  But the electronics were finicky and I traded it toward an American Standard in 1994.

Edited by dcbc

10 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Same dude who left the ES-345 left this LP Traditional:
be5287d8b1702bb38a13b375fbe7dafb.jpg
7aeab34fae04c008bf42461b6c6044b0.jpg

I couldn’t miss a chance to include it in a family pic:
4fec15824b424464b86c5673e1cbe5d9.jpg

I love my LP Traditional.  What year is it?

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I love my LP Traditional.  What year is it?

I'm not sure.  I'll look up the serial when I get home from work.  

It is a beautiful, well constructed, well playing guitar.  If I had any knits, it's that the neck is a hair wide for me.  But that strikes me as the kind of thing I'd get used to if it was my main guitar.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Mostly likely Korea.  They moved production from Japan to Korea in 1987.  I had a Korean squire Strat in the early 90s, and it was a nice guitar.  But the electronics were finicky and I traded it toward an American Standard in 1994.

Aren’t the really cheap squires made in Indonesia now?