The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

all the bullshit that's happened today has inspired me to unplug from the internet, and go downstairs and play the Gibson. 

Definitely a good day to not be on social media.

• Like 1

I was driving to a gig when I got the announcement. No time for BS. Set up 30 mins, then played 4 hours and loaded up and home at midnight.

I’ll freely admit I’m a CR participant, but I’m glad I was otherwise occupied. Meanwhile, the patrons of Vernon’s Lakeside were happy to dance and drink so everyone got what they wanted.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

I was driving to a gig when I got the announcement. No time for BS. Set up 30 mins, then played 4 hours and loaded up and home at midnight.

I’ll freely admit I’m a CR participant, but I’m glad I was otherwise occupied. Meanwhile, the patrons of Vernon’s Lakeside were happy to dance and drink so everyone got what they wanted.

4 hours is impressive
  • Like 2

4 hours is impressive

We do 6:30-10:30 about once a month in the summer. We probably know 8-10 hours of music total pretty well, so we get to switch it up. But my favorite is taking requests and seeing if we can pull them off. Last night about a quarter of the show was requests.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Vernon's sounds like a nice place to be on a Saturday.  I wish it were closer to me.

3 hours ago, tbone_ said:

4 hours is impressive

When I did that London Beatles tour, the guide said that they played 6 hours a night in Hamburg, 6 nights a week.  This went on for months. 

But yeah, 4 hours is quite impressive, particularly for a bar band.

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

We do 6:30-10:30 about once a month in the summer. We probably know 8-10 hours of music total pretty well, so we get to switch it up. But my favorite is taking requests and seeing if we can pull them off. Last night about a quarter of the show was requests.

That sounds like a blast.  What kind of requests do you get?  Is it shit like CCR, or modern country, or what? 

I saw Ben Folds is doing another paper airplane request tour. I should go see him again sometime - last time I did was at Bass Concert Hall with The Fray (then unknown) openin up for him. But that's such a great idea for song requests for someone with a huge catalogue like him

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

That sounds like a blast.  What kind of requests do you get?  Is it shit like CCR, or modern country, or what? 

Vernon’s is my favorite venue to play. Easy load in/out, the restaurant really takes care of the band (decent food/drink allowance, they pay well and on the spot), the crowd is cool/appreciative and it’s just a fun place to be.

The only downside is that the stage faces into the sun so for the first couple of hours of the show, it’s hot. Meanwhile the outdoor dining section has shade and fans and is quite nice even on a hot day. So great for the patrons.

In June it was 108. I drank three liters of water the first two sets. But then the sun goes down, the breeze comes in off the lake and people start dancing. It’s pretty well perfect then. Last night when I arrived it 89 with cloud cover so really pleasant.

As for requests it runs the gamut and that’s the fun part. We had a group of soccer moms who wanted “Don’t Stop Believing,” and a fella who wanted “Take it to the Limit” both of which everyone knows but we had never played together as a band before. But they went off as crowd pleasers. Then someone wanted a Bob Seeger song that had a lot of changes and didn’t really fit the mood, so we wound up settling on a kind of semi Metallica style “Turn the Page” instead. There was some Cody Jenks requests, and some newer country stuff like that which I’ve heard, but not often and certainly have never played before last night. But the folks requesting cheered at the end so all good. That’s really all I need to have happen to consider it a successful night.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

all the bullshit that's happened today has inspired me to unplug from the internet, and go downstairs and play the Gibson. 

If Henry J. still ran Gibson, you'd have to plug your LP into the internet. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Not really guitar but sort of guitar related.   I haven't seen anyone talk about the Moises software.   You load a song into it and it separates the tracks.  Free version, you can do 5 songs a month and it is limited on how many tracks you can split out.   There is a premium and pro package as well; around $5 and $25 per month with different options.  Talk about tons of fun.  Anyone else messed with it?  

It not only gives you the separate tracks that you can mute, raise or the lower the volume of individual tracks, but is has a chord mod which does a very good job of telling you what chord is being played.  

I Guess If You Say So GIF

18 hours ago, ajax said:

I'm starting to think the best Netflix & couch with the wife guitar ergonomically is a headless guitar. Something light and can go on either leg.

Edited by topochico
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I love this but $7,800 seems aggressive

4788367446c478d6541349f79a606352.jpg

I feel like Gibson acoustics have more aggressive fuck you pricing than Martins but I’m not sure if that is right. I would love to play one of these. Maybe wait for Rhett Miller to die or hit hard times and put in a bid on his.

• Like 3

When I was a teenager, I bought guitar magazines all the time. There were always these ads with these players I'd never heard of. These were the days before YouTube and streaming, and there was no way broke me going to spend money on a record by some random musician I'd only seen in ads.

I always wondered about this guy Ray Gomez. What was it about him that merited being featured in an ad.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.0d6b21d07b4c3e4d2de4eda5e0cd613f.jpg

Well I just remembered all these years later and I just now looked him up on YouTube for the first time.

Damn. The guy can play. No wonder he was featured in an ad.

And he looks like Austin Powers. Yeah baby.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I feel like Gibson acoustics have more aggressive fuck you pricing than Martins but I’m not sure if that is right. I would love to play one of these. Maybe wait for Rhett Miller to die or hit hard times and put in a bid on his.

They’ve been doing that for a while. It’s like they only make guitars for the 1% now.

1 hour ago, ajax said:

When I was a teenager, I bought guitar magazines all the time. There were always these ads with these players I'd never heard of. These were the days before YouTube and streaming, and there was no way broke me going to spend money on a record by some random musician I'd only seen in ads.

I always wondered about this guy Ray Gomez. What was it about him that merited being featured in an ad.

Well I just remembered all these years later and I just now looked him up on YouTube for the first time.

I just spent way too long trying to find the advertisement with 60 year old sleeveless tough guy Carmine Appice for Vic Firth or whatever that hung in the corner of our practice space for 10 years

On 7/13/2024 at 8:06 PM, noharleyyet said:

A mint Steve Wariner Sig Nashville Gentleman...sort of lucked into my first Gretsch. 

53855214940_e29e971540_b.jpg

almost missed this. nice. does that have the weird little belly guard on the back?

• Hook 'Em 1

I still have all those magazines. I keep telling myself I need to take them down to Half Priced because I can get all the songs tabbed out in them on my phone. Yet…

Luckily they’re tucked into a secluded corner of the hizzy where Mrs. F seldom wanders.
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I wonder how sustainable that is as the boomer generation ages out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

ah, it's the Country Gentleman that has this weird thing which is ostensibly a comfort feature but i think is.... actually a cover for the control cover?

cg2.jpg?ssl=1

one of the weirder bits of gretsch from a company that specializes in weird bits

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Haha.  

Rickenbacker also seems to have evolved on a remote island.  

I look at everything they do - like bridges and neck attachments and mounting pickups and think "Haven't you guys ever looked at another guitar, because there's definitely a better way to do this."

I guess we should be grateful for options and sonic variants.  

• Haha 2

Haha.  
Rickenbacker also seems to have evolved on a remote island.  
I look at everything they do - like bridges and neck attachments and mounting pickups and think "Haven't you guys ever looked at another guitar, because there's definitely a better way to do this."
I guess we should be grateful for options and sonic variants.  
Everything about my 4003 is wierd. The way over designed bridge, the funky pickup cover, the binding near the tail piece, even how the tuning pegs mount. Somehow it all comes together to make the best feeling and best sounding bass I've ever hand my hands on, and I haven't even fucked around with the Ric-O-Sound output yet.

My Gretch's have some unique features for sure, but the Ric is from a different planet.
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

I still have all those magazines. I keep telling myself I need to take them down to Half Priced because I can get all the songs tabbed out in them on my phone. Yet…

Luckily they’re tucked into a secluded corner of the hizzy where Mrs. F seldom wanders.

Damn, I think I threw all mine away, including the flexible records included in them. First time I heard Cliffs of Dover was from a Guitar Player flexi-disc.

• Hook 'Em 1