The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Loving it so far but obviously, new toy. I'm basically on vacation until the 9th so I'll have to try and put together some sounds or something. But I'm digging this a lot, it's doing the tele things that I never quite loved from my old one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

2nd guitar is definitely twangier, but I wouldn't know enough to say which is which.

My layman opinion is that I liked the 2nd guitar better. Seemed more dynamic.  I'm going to say that's the brass saddles.  Just a guess though

25 minutes ago, locodos said:

was it not the same player?

Yeah, I just think they all the iterations sound good.  I can hear differences, but they aren't huge.  A good player on either of those guitars is going to sound good.

2 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Yeah, I just think they all the iterations sound good.  I can hear differences, but they aren't huge.  A good player on either of those guitars is going to sound good.

To be clear I thought both guitars sounded good.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Paul Wesley said:

I'll be brave and take a (probably wrong) stab:

First one has a little more low mids, so I'll guess that's the Ash Deluxe(?)

bingo

imo the isbell tele sounds better across the board - the ash tele sounds like it has the tone knob rolled off a bit. Although that's not so bad on the bridge pickup - that's definitely a bright sound and pretty harsh by itself on the bridge. does sound nice mixed in with music when you're going for that kinda bright 90s rhythm guitar sound.

I might sell the blonde tele although I'm tempted still to just play with it and put different pickups in. My favorite sound on that guitar is with the little knob button toggled on the middle position with the pups in series.

I posted elsewhere about getting shitcanned while on a business trip in Minneapolis and walking back to my hotel from the convention center with "Skyway" playing in my earbuds. I was starting from there and trying to turn it around a little bit, and going back to listen I realized that half of what I lifted is vocal melody rather than guitar.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

7 hours ago, Celery Man said:

bingo

imo the isbell tele sounds better across the board - the ash tele sounds like it has the tone knob rolled off a bit. Although that's not so bad on the bridge pickup - that's definitely a bright sound and pretty harsh by itself on the bridge. does sound nice mixed in with music when you're going for that kinda bright 90s rhythm guitar sound.

I might sell the blonde tele although I'm tempted still to just play with it and put different pickups in. My favorite sound on that guitar is with the little knob button toggled on the middle position with the pups in series.

I posted elsewhere about getting shitcanned while on a business trip in Minneapolis and walking back to my hotel from the convention center with "Skyway" playing in my earbuds. I was starting from there and trying to turn it around a little bit, and going back to listen I realized that half of what I lifted is vocal melody rather than guitar.

You got fired?  Or you got drunk?   Because who the fuck, besides Lane Kiffin, gets fired on a work trip?

12 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

You got fired?  Or you got drunk?   Because who the fuck, besides Lane Kiffin, gets fired on a work trip?

Certainly not drunk. It was a clown show organization. Lots of smart biochemists in business roles where they are objectively stupid.

fuck man, sorry to hear that.  I've been there, and it sucks.  I lost a lot of good jobs due to banks going under, consolidation, etc.   After about the 4th time I said fuck it, and went out on my own.  I've never looked back.  Maybe you can't do that in your industry, but I feel for you. 

• Like 1

Finally got back to picking on a regular basis the past few weeks. This year's has been, well a lot. And not nearly as much as some of you dudes have been dealing with. Feels good to play, definitely have some built up song ideas to come out.

20240831-163727.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5
  • Drool 2

I'm gonna put this here because this young gal is a terrific player.  I hadn't heard of her until I saw her play live on Kimmel this week.  Maybe some of y'all are familiar.  Not even old enough to vote, self-taught, a very interesting style that will dip into some jazz voicings and then all of a sudden shred.  Somewhere between Zappa and Prince in a way, although she cites BB King as her main influence.  

Two videos, same song, first the official video with a very cool dueling lead that almost gets Allman Bros at one point, the second one on Kimmel, more esoteric but still with some (sometimes dual) shredding:

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 2

Yeah she came up on TikTok. I’m 1000% skeptical of “precocious young guitar player doing boomer music” people and she’s maybe kinda that but I like her a lot. Definitely stopped when I saw some mopheaded kid shredding on an sg in a bedroom. And then realized it was a girl!

To me her playing seems less schooled and more natural than most of those "prodigies".  We'll see where she goes from here.  It's interesting that she apparently doesn't sing, but there's no rule that a great player has to have a great voice.

She actually has shown up in this thread or the amp thread previously - she's like a.... Gibson featured artist or something. Someone over there is smart enough to know that when a teenage girl shows up on the internet shredding with a gibbon, you give her some more gibbons. I've seen her posting and talking about her collection on Reddit as well.

yeah man those old tiktok videos made you stop...

she seems real

She actually has shown up in this thread or the amp thread previously - she's like a.... Gibson featured artist or something. Someone over there is smart enough to know that when a teenage girl shows up on the internet shredding with a gibbon, you give her some more gibbons. I've seen her posting and talking about her collection on Reddit as well.
yeah man those old tiktok videos made you stop...

Remember those Reddit live streaming things (RPAN) that happened during the early days of the pandemic? I am pretty sure I saw her play on a few of those back then.

But yeah, I knew who it was before clicking Jimmy’s link. I dig it.

Screw Bonnamassa I just watched Billy Gibbons play Just Got Paid. JB can’t hold the Reverend’s jock.

Lifted this off Reddit but he came out playing it. SG with a V neck?

a24c3061015e686e6d1e4ab2792f3eff.jpg

He’s got more soul in his pinky fingernail than Joe B has in his whole being.
  • Hook 'Em 3

13 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Screw Bonnamassa I just watched Billy Gibbons play Just Got Paid. JB can’t hold the Reverend’s jock.

Lifted this off Reddit but he came out playing it. SG with a V neck?

a24c3061015e686e6d1e4ab2792f3eff.jpg

And that crazy sideways vibrato that I've never seen him use.  I think it's just on there because the chrome looks cool, which I fully support.

So I've had the Isbell tele for a bit. I'm into it. Soundwise, I'm clicking with this one in a way I never did with my other tele - I'm still kinda blaming the n3 noiseless pickups in that guitar for that, and maybe I'll swap them out at some point. This tele feels very teleish. One thing that I like a lot is that the pickups seem pretty balanced - with both the 2013 deluxe and even the G&L Tribute bluesboy I used to have, I never wanted to use the neck pickup. The neck pickup on this one is a really nice sound, has a lot of life to it, and it's pretty balanced with the bridge pickup. Of course the bridge pickup is sharp and tele-like and has that whole thing, but it isn't this completely different thing over here like going from p90s to a danelectro.

I really like the satin finish and and double binding and the weight. It's fairly light, for some reason the double binding adds to that for me, almost like it's chambered with a top and a bottom piece. And it feels like it's OK to throw it around a little bit, set it down on the floor, not worry about it. I like the checking which can be found in several places on the guitar but is not super obvious from far away. If I were to pick from a lineup of these guitars I might pick one with different weathering on the lower bout of the guitar - the kinda three notch thing doesn't look super natural. But that's a nitpick.

Quality wise, this seems solid. I'm not a crazy harsh critic I don't think, but I don't see any glaring problems with fretwork, everything feels very quality. The one issue is that I've noticed the high E string can sound a little dead if I pick it a certain way while it is unfretted - I think the nut needs to be worked a little bit, I'll probably get it set up. I've read some reviews of these saying they aren't set up well out of the box - this one is pretty decent, although it's from a nice guitar shop where they give them a little TLC before putting them on the floor so I'm not sure how much it came that way. Having owned several Fenders from the late 90s and early 2000s, I'm not a "there's no difference between MIM and MIA guitars" guy - there have traditionally been differences, place of manufacture was just one element about the quality difference between circa 2000 American Standard and a circa 2000 Standard. Both my thinline (mim) and my old dirnt P bass (mim) had some issues with qc and cheaper parts not holding up to rigorous use. This one feels like it is up to a higher level of standard and I'm assuming it has higher end parts - I'm not expecting the knobs to fall off and it doesn't feel like they will. I did have to put a little piece of masking tape under the toggle cover to secure it, but I don't think that that is too unusual. The tuners feel nice and work well. I like vintage style tuners.

It feels very alive, I like the tone a lot.  I think I'm going to take it to get properly set up and see if I can fix that e string thing, but there's a lot I like about this guitar.

IMG_9671.thumb.jpeg.705d90281fb31ab5cfbe35525bcc4eed.jpeg

IMG_9678.thumb.jpeg.5543dfb46a6ab22e6e531e0385bb8e48.jpeg

IMG_9680.thumb.jpeg.0747379c364651147a74751de258799b.jpeg

IMG_9676.thumb.jpeg.c64ee24eb36b1963959ffaf99d3db359.jpeg

IMG_9668.thumb.jpeg.3c1333c6a9abf232cfe2b6be9acee790.jpeg

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

definitely not jumbo - "narrow tall" is the spec and that seems an accurate description. I like them, but I've also never been particularly bothered by fret sizes one way or the other. they are definitely skinnier than the jumbo homies on the deluxe tele. Neck is less beefy than that guy too - still comfortable, not skinny but not fat. The aging on the neck has a nice feel - it's got some texture where it's worn in.

• Like 1

this is why you need new guitars - to get you to finally spend an hour fucking around on youtube and starting to learn some different stuff

it's hard to find youtube guitar guys who are the right mix of stupid enough and not too stupid. this guy seems good, I can kinda follow what he's doing. if any of you guys have country guitar youtube lesson guys you like share them. above is lick 3 from the below video. Or 4. I think 3. Fuck, and I still got the rhythm wrong.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 2