The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

9 hours ago, Butch Had Not said:

You ever do this?

Not yet. I'm gonna need a platform guitar first. I was thinking of maybe one of the newer cheap guitars with a solid base to start with like a good neck and stainless steel frets and then updating the pickups and tuners. But that's gonna have to be some time in the future.

2 hours ago, ajax said:

Not yet. I'm gonna need a platform guitar first. I was thinking of maybe one of the newer cheap guitars with a solid base to start with like a good neck and stainless steel frets and then updating the pickups and tuners. But that's gonna have to be some time in the future.

Warmoth is always having sales and their shit is far better than the cheapo guitars.  Just saying.  But you can also find guys selling Warmoth parts casters on eBay and reverb all the time for half to 1/3 of the value of the parts.  Just saying, if you're just experimenting, that's an option to get good quality at a lower price.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Don't know which thread to put this in, but I'll put it here.  Universal Audio's amp pedals are awesome, at least the "Ruby" which emulates a 1963 Vox AC-30.   I am loving this mini board I put together to have at my recording station.  What you hear here is the Barber Gain Changer into the UAFX Ruby Amp pedal into a GFI Synesthesia modulator that is running a stereo harmonic tremolo into a stereo phaser.  I record the stereo out from the synesthesia straight into the computer interface.  I popped a couple gummies about two hours ago and have just been tripping with the guitar and a backing track ever since.  I decided to hit record somewhere along the way.

The gear involved:

image.thumb.jpeg.66b23fab4c9df4a2dd24e6622faf377e.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Sounds cool.  Any reason to believe the UA pedal does a better job than a DI input with a Vox emulator plugin?  My writing partner/bandmate and I have been messing around with a few songs and the ability for one of us to grab a guitar and plug in immediately to a "different" amp has been pretty freeing.  Not that it's anything but old news, but I'm coming around to the in-the-box solutions, particularly for scratchpad sketch-it-out applications.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Sounds cool.  Any reason to believe the UA pedal does a better job than a DI input with a Vox emulator plugin?  My writing partner/bandmate and I have been messing around with a few songs and the ability for one of us to grab a guitar and plug in immediately to a "different" amp has been pretty freeing.  Not that it's anything but old news, but I'm coming around to the in-the-box solutions, particularly for scratchpad sketch-it-out applications.

Better?  I dunno about that.  There are lots of really good facsimiles out there these days.  What I really like about the UAFX plug-ins and pedals is that they feel and respond like a good tube amp.  But I came to the pedal from the UA plugins, which are cheaper and equally as good.  Your paying for the hardware and such as well as the digital guts of a plug-in.

I like that I can have it on a pedalboard, take it  to a gig and get live what I hear in my little studio.  Another thing I like about these UAFX pedals over something like a Helix or Tonex is that they do one thing well.  With those more open platforms, you have 58932688 patches uploaded to their sharing service.  90% of them suck, and so you have to wade through all the crap to find the gold.  The pedal on that board does a 1963 Vox AC-30 and nothing else.  UAFX has 3 other pedals for different amps.  A 55 Bassman, a 68 Marshall super lead and a 65 Princeton reverb.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

OK, y'all.  I'm playing a gig in a little over a week and the singer wants to play this version of this song:

I'm not necrobumping the "songs you're learning" thread because there's a lot more traffic here.  I've got it all pretty much down, except there's this weird way that Willie plays the changes at 

:27-:32

1:19-1:24

It sounds to me like he goes D>D9>D9>?(a diminished A?) then hits the G chromatic down to E.

But that little change has me pulling my hair out. 

What do you all hear?  Help a brother out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Been on the road for work the last couple days. Will look at this when I get home later today. And put another entry on the long list of time I’ve unsuccessfully spent trying to figure out Willie’s sorcery on the guitar.

Also, have you checked it against a tab that looks at least someone accurate? Because that’s where I would start.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Been on the road for work the last couple days. Will look at this when I get home later today. And put another entry on the long list of time I’ve unsuccessfully spent trying to figure out Willie’s sorcery on the guitar.

Also, have you checked it against a tab that looks at least someone accurate? Because that’s where I would start.

The tabs I've seen are all about the single version that was released way back when and have basically nothing to do with the way he's playing it in that vid.  They're in the same key, and that's about it.  I love how he (kind of like Dylan) morphs his songs over time.  But it's a whippin' to try and figure out all the changes.  

28 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

See, I asked my jazz buddies too and they've sussed jack and shit.

Willie is a wizard is all I can say.  

I have one go-to . . . I'm gonna put him on the spot and see if he can figure it out.  He's a sax player, though, but he's super educated (masters in jazz performance).

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

I have one go-to . . . I'm gonna put him on the spot and see if he can figure it out.  He's a sax player, though, but he's super educated (masters in jazz performance).

I'd be eternally grateful.  

• Like 1

On 8/8/2024 at 11:05 AM, Chad Fuck said:

OK, y'all.  I'm playing a gig in a little over a week and the singer wants to play this version of this song:

I'm not necrobumping the "songs you're learning" thread because there's a lot more traffic here.  I've got it all pretty much down, except there's this weird way that Willie plays the changes at 

:27-:32

1:19-1:24

It sounds to me like he goes D>D9>D9>?(a diminished A?) then hits the G chromatic down to E.

But that little change has me pulling my hair out. 

What do you all hear?  Help a brother out. 

I'm a long way from a jazz player and Willie's playing there is way beyond me. I do however have a copy of Mickey Baker's Complete Course in Jazz Guitar and that's the book all the old timers got their chord substitutions, so I dug it out.

Playing around with this D13 (adding the root on the A string), then like a D9 or D7, then using the top of D13b5b9 to walk to G kinda gets close. 

I mat be way off, but it is fun playing around w somScreenshot_20240809_135152_Photos.thumb.jpg.0c0b70f436a50a9b61b0c85ab1f7eec5.jpge of these chords.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I'm a long way from a jazz player and Willie's playing there is way beyond me. I do however have a copy of Mickey Baker's Complete Course in Jazz Guitar and that's the book all the old timers got their chord substitutions, so I dug it out.

Playing around with this D13 (adding the root on the A string), then like a D9 or D7, then using the top of D13b5b9 to walk to G kinda gets close. 

I mat be way off, but it is fun playing around w somScreenshot_20240809_135152_Photos.thumb.jpg.0c0b70f436a50a9b61b0c85ab1f7eec5.jpge of these chords.

I'm about to head home from work and try this. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Hah. It's true.

100 fucking percent.

i acknowledge that i am a very mediocre guitarist for sure but it is always wild how much i feel like i'm grooving it with just an open mic running. stop and play back the part i liked. delete.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, sidis said:

100 fucking percent.

i acknowledge that i am a very mediocre guitarist for sure but it is always wild how much i feel like i'm grooving it with just an open mic running. stop and play back the part i liked. delete.

I play very few leads, mostly open or partial chords as rhythm parts.  I cannot tell you how many times I'll think I nailed a rhythm part, play it back, and it feels like I recorded Michael J Fox, and not the BTTF MJF.  It's demoralizing as hell.

• Like 1

Never really thought about OM style acoustics until I bought the Larrivee. Now I love it. Not as loud as my dread but more tight and punchy. Sounds fantastic plugged in.

That said I do want another dread soon. Kind of want a hummingbird I think. But who knows.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

That said I do want another dread soon. Kind of want a hummingbird I think. But who knows.

Do you have a jumbo?  I like playing my Guild J200 knockoff more than I like playing my Taylor 3-series dreadnought.  Sure, the Guild is big and clumsy but man is it fun to strum.

I would want one of those mustache gibsons if they weren't 12 billion dollars each.

Beautiful guitars. That OOO tanned up! I have my rosewood J45 and my HD28 on the wall right now, I do still just mostly pick up the 28 or the 41 most of the time. I should pull my OOO15M back out. I've been a bit of bluegrass (not seriously, but a bit) as well as writing more "strum loud and shout" type songs, which I want a dreadnought for. So the 15 has been away, but it is such a great guitar and such an inviting one to play. Martin is like Rolex in that... it's synonymous with the thing, it's maybe even overrated in that respect, but also they just no doubt make some of the best guitars on the planet and are incredibly consistent.

The acoustic that I'm really missing in my collection is a D18.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Do you have a jumbo?  I like playing my Guild J200 knockoff more than I like playing my Taylor 3-series dreadnought.  Sure, the Guild is big and clumsy but man is it fun to strum.

I love the idea of a jumbo. The cost is stupid though.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I love the idea of a jumbo. The cost is stupid though.

Mine was $550 new.  Pretty heavily discounted, though, it had been on the wall at the store for a year or so and had a small ding.  I think if you test drive a few $800 wouldn't be unattainable.

So it’s interesting, well maybe only to me, but I use LR Baggs Anthem pickups in the acoustics I play live with. They have an under saddle pickup and a microphone in the body and you can blend between the two.

What I’ve learned, which I guess shouldn’t be a shock, is that you have to start with really good sound coming out of the guitar for it to sound good mic’d and plugged in. My Larrivee 0M3 sounds fantastic as does my 2004 Taylor 810CE (trashed the stupid Taylor system for the Anthem). Those are obviously all wood guitars.

I bought a cheaper Taylor 214 which is laminate. $900 factory blem which per usual you can’t see anywhere with the naked eye. Nothing in the world wrong with that guitar in terms of playability and sound, until you put it next to a guitar that “really” sounds good. I can hear the difference and you can really hear it when amplified. As a result it didn’t end up becoming the gigging beater I was hoping for.

I wonder about that with the knock off guitars.

My kid is headed to UT next week, is living in a dorm, and, obviously, doesn't want to take any of the nicer guitars he bough over the last couple of years.  He gave away his inexpensive acoustic we bought him and bought a twelve-string against my fatherly advice of "you won't play it as much as you think you will."  I suggested he take his little Epiphone Special 2xp90 that was his first guitar and just leave the amps behind, but he's decided to take the 12-string.  He suggested the 62 GIbson LG-0 that lives in his room.  That was a hard "No."  His roommate is going to love him.  I need to tune it before he goes for all the long-term good it will do.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

On 5/11/2023 at 10:11 PM, squib said:

IMG_9965.jpeg

IMG_9964.jpeg

IMG_9963.jpeg

IMG_9962.jpeg

IMG_9959.jpeg

IMG_9958.jpeg

Wife has asked me to help her sell this Fender steel guitar and this Champ Amp. All works fine. This amp seems to be one that is fairly sought after. No idea where to start with this. Any help is appreciated. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, squib said:

Wife has asked me to help her sell this Fender steel guitar and this Champ Amp. All works fine. This amp seems to be one that is fairly sought after. No idea where to start with this. Any help is appreciated. 

Tree-fiddy?