Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

10 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Clint Buckley is an East Texas guy -- 

From 247:  "Clint joins Horns247 after spending the previous six years as managing editor of East Texas Sports Network (ETSN.fm).  With ETSN, Buckley oversaw the coverage of more than 100 high schools in East Texas.  He covered multiple state championships games in several sports during his time at ETSN. Before that, Buckley was a sports writer at the Tyler Morning Telegraph from 2001-2012. Buckley, a native of Tyler, Texas, is a 2008 graduate of the University of Texas at Tyler where he majored in journalism"

Kind of odd -- Worked at Telegraph 2001-2012 and graduated UT-Tyler 2008???

Maybe he worked for the paper while putting himself through school. Self-made man.

3 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I don't think he has to run a sub 4.5, but he sure as shit can't run as slow as LJH did. 

I think he's a 4.70s guy, which probably gets him somewhere in the 4-6 round range, depending on how the season goes, and how the rest of his combine goes. I just don't think he'll be a day one or two guy, unless he gets faster. He's never looked fast in college, and if you're not separating against college corners, you're not going to do it against NFL studs, and the NFL now likes guys who can separate more than guys who win jump balls 

Mike Roach

I just saw John Tyler ATH Kitan Crawford and will have some more on him later on. I feel that Texas is in the lead at this point. Crawford told me he plans to make his decision before his fall season, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see one come before the summer.

I put in a Texas crystal ball for Troy Omeire today. After having it on A&M for a long time, I think I’ve heard enough behind the scenes to convince me to change it. The buzz is increasingly on Texas.

28 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

If he improves his play on the field from last year and can run a 4.6, then he’ll get drafted in the first 3-4 rounds.  The only reason to run at the combine or pro-day is if he’s 100% sure he can run under 4.6 and a 4.5 could push him into the 2nd round.

If LJH didn’t run due to an “undisclosed injury”, he would have probably been a 4-5th rounder just based on film. His film showed quickness and strength...his testing showed horrible quickness and strength.  

Very unlikely. The NFL doesn't value slow, tall WRs. Go look at guys like Allen Lazard, Equanimeous St. Brown, etc. Most of those guys tested better than CJ will test and went either late rounds or undrafted.  Butler is a physical freak who is longer and faster than CJ, yet he still only went in the 4th. Unless CJ can run high 4.4s, low 4.5s, he's almost definitely slated for Day 3.

12 minutes ago, Fud said:

I wish I liked Omeire more

What are your concerns about Omeire??  What's the latest on Omeire's abilities from the better high school scouts ??

Recent article mentioned His top 3 are Texas, ND, and Aggy.  Here 's a recent quote I found on his rankings:  "Per the 247Sports Composite Rankings, Omeire is the No. 15 receiver in the country and No. 11 prospect in Texas from the class of 2020."

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

What are your concerns about Omeire??  What's the latest on Omeire's abilities from the better high school scouts ??

Recent article mentioned His top 3 are Texas, ND, and Aggy.  Here 's a recent quote I found on his rankings:  "Per the 247Sports Composite Rankings, Omeire is the No. 15 receiver in the country and No. 11 prospect in Texas from the class of 2020." 

He's not a burner

14 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Go look at guys like Allen Lazard, Equanimeous St. Brown, etc.

Equanimeous Brown, 22 – Gren Bay, WI | Background Report at MyLife.com

Equanimeous's Reputation Score is 3.75. Right now, Equanimeous St Brown lives in Green Bay, WI. Equanimeous maintains relationships with many people -- family, friends, associates, & neighbors

13 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Very unlikely. The NFL doesn't value slow, tall WRs. Go look at guys like Allen Lazard, Equanimeous St. Brown, etc. Most of those guys tested better than CJ will test and went either late rounds or undrafted.  Butler is a physical freak who is longer and faster than CJ, yet he still only went in the 4th. Unless CJ can run high 4.4s, low 4.5s, he's almost definitely slated for Day 3.

With all the hype about CJ when he arrived, I expected much better results than produced at Texas thus far.  He really needs to elevate his game this season.

Based on CJ's production at Texas thru 2018, I agree that he is currently just a Day 3 draft pick. 

IT

TIMELINES
Here's a consolidated location for decision timelines. We're always asked who the next commit is. When wondering that it's best to have a good understanding of when a decision is likely to be made.

QB Ja'Quinden Jackson (Duncanville): Late. Look for Texas to use its official here later in the process. UT remains in a good spot but we'll see what happens if Jackson has a good season throwing the ball. More suitors could jump in the mix.

RB Zach Evans (North Shore): NSD2. There's a chance he visits this upcoming weekend but there's a chance he visits on a lot of weekends to a lot of places and they fall through. Finding rides isn't the easiest thing for him especially when his brother is out of town. If he wants to visit UT this weekend, he should have a ride.

RB Kendall Milton (Buchanan, Clovis, CA): Late. I haven't heard him directly say he'll announce on NSD2 but his decision doesn't appear to be any time soon. His favorite seems to change quite a bit. I think UT will get an official visit but that isn't set in stone. They should try and get a return official this summer that his father can attend. Ohio State seems to be the team in front right now but Oklahoma, Alabama, and Georgia will factor in. Tough recruitment.

RB Bijan Robinson (Salpointe Catholic, Tucson, AZ): In-season. This could become a summer visit or go longer but right now a September/October decision seems on the horizon. The staff is trying to time his official visit for maximal effect. When UT pushes for an OV it's likely an indicator a decision isn't too far off. Robinson likes Ohio State, UCLA, and Arizona as well as Texas.

RB Ty Jordan (West Mesquite): Late. Jordan seems to be in no hurry whatsoever. This helps UT as long as they're staying in close contact.

WR Troy Omeire (Fort Bend Austin): Late spring, early summer. If Omeire announced his intentions tomorrow it wouldn't surprise me. It wouldn't surprise me if he announced in early July either. He recently said he wants to take official visits to LSU and USC. LSU is recruiting very well right now so maybe keep a close eye on them. Josh White is headed to LSU and Omeire visited UT with him. I'm still picking UT as long as they don't pull back the reins.

WR Quentin Johnston (Temple): Unsure because it could come down to UT pushing for him. I think he's waiting for that while the staff continues its patient, diligent approach at the position.

WR Johnny Wilson (Calabasas, CA): Unsure. He released a top-five in January which often indicates a quicker timeline but he still hasn't taken any visits to Texas. Like with Ransom and Robinson, his official visit could be an indicator the process is winding down for him. Ideally he'd take an unofficial this summer and an official for the LSU game.

WR JJ Hester (Booker T. Washington, Tulsa, OK): Later. He hasn't set up any official visits. When asked which schools he communicates with the most he mentioned Texas, Georgia, Baylor, and West Virginia. He attended the February junior day and obviously enjoyed himself. I'm keeping an eye on him. He and Johnston could be competing for the same spot.

WR Devon Achane (Fort Bend Marshall): Late. I asked around to see what schools he was liking and heard A&M, Georgia, Bama, Tennessee, and Oklahoma State but this was before the Texas offer. We'll find out more, including if he plans to run track in college.

WR Jalin Conyers (Gruver): Late. He's in no hurry, especially with the offers just now pouring in. I did hear, surprisingly, that three schools are standing out: Tech, OU, and UT. This gives me confidence he'll return for an official visit. Watch TCU as well.

WR Mookie Cooper (Trinity Catholic, St. Louis, MO): Late. The one-time Texas pledge de-committed in order to take his time. There's still a good chance he ends up a Horn.

OL Chad Lindberg (Clear Creek): Before the season. Lindberg will be taking his official to Texas this upcoming weekend. So too will Texas commits Logan Parr and Jake Majors. Georgia is probably the school running second as of now.

OL Damieon George (North Shore): Up in the air. It could be summer, in-season, or late. He was liking Alabama but that seems to have subsided. There's some feeling he could pick before Zach Evans as he doesn't want to be seen as following Evans to Zach's school of choice rather than choosing his own. It's a pretty interesting dynamic with Evans pushing playing together harder than George. I'd expect to see some more o-line offers out. Potentially to Nate Anderson.

DL Vernon Broughton (Cy Ridge): Before the season. Broughton will be in Austin Friday for his big official visit weekend. He's taken a liking to the offensive line commits as well as Lindberg. I'm siding with Texas in the end.

DL Alfred Collins (Cedar Creek): In-season. Collins is supposed to take his official visit to Texas the weekend of June 21st. He's mentioned he'll use his official for the A&M/Alabama game in September. I think a decision would come relatively soon after that. He also wants to visit Notre Dame and maybe Alabama.

DL Princely Umanmielen (Manor): Before the season. He should start coming up with his official visit plans soon. This seems to be a three-headed race between UT/OU/A&M.

I *think* UT pulls the clean sweep with the three in-state priority defensive linemen but it isn't a lock.

LB Prince Dorbah (Highland Park): No timeline. I'm hard pressed to even state who UT's main competition is here but he seems to be in no hurry and UT is fine with that. Dorbah's a perfect fit for the Texas defense.

LB Justin Flowe (Upland, CA): Late. Flowe's top two are Clemson and Alabama, making this a tough recruitment. Texas will try and get him on an unofficial this summer and then secure an official visit to have a chance. I still think he visits this summer.

LB Brennon Scott (Bishop Dunne): Read the Quentin Johnston blurb. Scott likes UT quite a bit but the staff is being very selective.

DB Bryson Washington (C.E. King): July 4th. Washington will take his Texas official visit the weekend of June 21st. By that time they should have made up ground on OU in order to take the lead on the visit. I think that's how it will play out anyway.

DB Lathan Ransom (Salpointe Catholic, Tucson, AZ) Early season. He just took his official visit to LSU and he'll head to Ohio State in June. The staff is trying to time his Texas official visit similar to Bijan Robinson's. He also likes Florida and OU. This will be a tough recruitment but one the staff can win. The potential to build a consensus with Robinson and Ransom is there.

DB Chris Thompson (Duncanville): Late summer, early season. Thompson will take his Texas official visit this weekend. He's also going to see Notre Dame, Florida, LSU, and Auburn. I like UT in the end.

DB Xavion Alford (Shadow Creek): Late. I've felt he could come off this timeline a few times but then he keep stating he'll wait. I think he's back and forth between Texas and LSU with A&M also trying to get in the mix. Late is perfectly fine from the Texas perspective.

CB Kitan Crawford (John Tyler) and Jahari Rogers (Arlington): I haven't heard specific timelines but these two making decisions by July wouldn't surprise me. Crawford will take his official visit to Texas June 21st.

CB Kelee Ringo (Saguaro, Scottsdale, AZ): Late. This is currently a Texas/Georgia battle and will likely remain so.

CB Josh Eaton (Aldine MacArthur): Up in the air. Originally he was going to wait until late in the process but recently signaled he may not wait much longer. That could make things interesting.

HUDSON CARD

Lake Travis in 2019 will go as quarterback Hudson Card goes.

The Cavaliers fell last season in the state semi-finals to Houston powerhouse North Shore. Card wasn’t at his best that game, under constant pressure from the Mustang defense and unable to get the ball easily to Garrett Wilson.

Off of RM 620, the goal isn’t just to get back to the state semi-finals. It’s to get back to Arlington.

“Obviously state, that’s the goal and that’s the goal every year,” Card said Friday. “It’s the expectations with great people in the past who have come through this program. That’s our goal.”

In his first season as Lake Travis’ starting quarterback, and the Cavs’ first year with former Texas QC Will Stein as offensive coordinator, Card passed for 3543 yards and 50 touchdowns with just four interceptions. He rushed for 619 yards at 5.6 per carry for nine scores.

Now in year two with Stein, the playbook Card is learning is a close relative to the one he’ll be learning at Texas. Card knows he has to become more familiar with the plays for his future and his team’s future

“I’d say the biggest thing is just getting more used to the playbook just because Stein is new,” Card said. “Just getting to know that better, know everything about it, then obviously just working on my craft in the offseason. You can get better at everything, so just working all around.”

Card won’t have his No. 1 option from 2018 in Wilson to throw to this season. He’s confident that recent Texas offer Lake McRee can step up on offense this season in addition to Kyle Eaves and Grayson Andlin.

“There’s some guys that will be back and there’s some ballers,” Card said. “There shouldn’t be too much of a problem. They’re going to step up big, I know they are.”

After his interview, Card participated in one of Lake Travis’ first scrimmages of the off-season. He found McRee often and threw an accurate ball while on the move.

Card wasn’t live contact, but still showed the elusiveness while scrambling that helped him succeed as a wide receiver.

His focus is mostly on Cavalier football, but as a long-time quarterback commit in Texas’ 2020 class, recruiting is on his mind as well.

His proximity to campus allows Card to make trips fairly easily, especially on some of Texas’ bigger recruiting weekends.

The message to those considering Texas?

“Why wouldn’t you want to live in Austin?” Card said. “It’s the best city. Texas football, there’s nothing like it. The program is going in the right direction with Tom Herman. It’s on the right track and everything like that. Come join and bring us back on top.”

24 minutes ago, Fud said:

I think he's a 4.70s guy, which probably gets him somewhere in the 4-6 round range, depending on how the season goes, and how the rest of his combine goes. I just don't think he'll be a day one or two guy, unless he gets faster. He's never looked fast in college, and if you're not separating against college corners, you're not going to do it against NFL studs, and the NFL now likes guys who can separate more than guys who win jump balls 

I also think CJ will be limited by his 40, but I also think that he shows a lot more on tape than a lot of other big receivers so he should go on the upper spectrum of where those types of receivers go. Like he'll be one of the first big guys off the board even if it's in the later rounds. 

I also think Collin showed some speed more often this past year than before, so let's see if he shows at least decent speed more often. His after the catch ability also 

51 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I also think CJ will be limited by his 40, but I also think that he shows a lot more on tape than a lot of other big receivers so he should go on the upper spectrum of where those types of receivers go. Like he'll be one of the first big guys off the board even if it's in the later rounds. 

I also think Collin showed some speed more often this past year than before, so let's see if he shows at least decent speed more often. His after the catch ability also 

Allan Lazard is an almost Identical comp to  CJ. He’s 6’5, 227. He had better production his junior year than CJ did,and he tested way better than CJ will test (see tweet below). All that and he went undrafted with no obvious character concerns. Unless CJ goes berserk and has like a 1300 yard, 12 TD season or something, he’s likely to be a late round pick. He has a lot of flaws to his game right now. He doesn’t create separation, he can be bullied at the LOS way too easily, and he’s not a run after the catch guy. Tall, slow, possession receivers aren’t valued in today’s NFL, and CJ will have a much harder time winning jump balls in the NFL than he does in college.

Bottom line is we’re going to have one more year of bad draft production that the staff will have to (and easily can) overcome until the 2018 guys become draft eligible.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

I'm beginning to sense that EJ leaving wasn't completely his decision. It appears he was frustrated with his job, and in response to this frustration, started doing a crappy job. He posted yesterday... 

I’m not sure if I’m allowed to do so or not, but here is my good bye post. I really do appreciate everyone on this board. Y’all really welcomed me in and made me feel like part of the community. Sorry it ended in such a weird way. With that said, Mike is going to do a great job here. He’ll take care of y’all.

9 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I'm beginning to sense that EJ leaving wasn't completely his decision. It appears he was frustrated with his job, and in response to this frustration, started doing a crappy job. He posted yesterday... 

This is a good reminder that we should cherish every minute that we have with each other, because we never really know how much time we have.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I already feel plenty weird about devoting so much time and effort into following recruits and recruiting drama and having to read what $9.95ers have to say. The last thing I need to add to that is to get caught up in the drama between $9.95ers and their co-workers, bosses, and rivals.

5 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

I already feel plenty weird about devoting so much time and effort into following recruits and recruiting drama and having to read what $9.95ers have to say. The last thing I need to add to that is to get caught up in the drama between $9.95ers and their co-workers, bosses, and rivals.

^^^You say this now^^^^   But soon, very soon....

giphy.gif

• Like 1

ESPN apparnelty randomly updated their top 300 recently, and I'm not sure if they even advertised it. It's all over the place. 

1) Zach Evans
2) Jase McClellan
3) Haynes King
4) Demond Demas
5) Ja'Quinden Jackson
6) Drew Sanders
7) RJ Mickens
8')Nate Anderson
9) Quentin Johnston
10) Jaylon Jones
11) Hudson Card
12) Jake Majors
13) Chris Thompson
14) Vernon Broughton
15) Jalen Kimber
16) Kitan Crawford
17) EJ Smith
18) Troy Omeire
19) Alfred Collins
20) Michael Henderson
21) Seth McGowan
22) Chad Lindberg
23) Jaylen Garth
24) Jahari Rogers
25) Bryson Washington
26) Garrett Hayes
27) Lorando Johnson
28) Kevontre Bradford
29) Ty'Kieast Crawford
30) Logan Parr
31) Xavion Alford
32) Dwight McGlothern Jr
33) Malik Hornsby
34) Jaxon Smith-Njigba
35) James Sylvester
36) Jacarrion Green
37) Prince Dorbah
38) Ryan Watts
39) Chandler Morris
40) Josh White
41) Brendon Lewis
42) Princely Umanmielen
43) Alec Bryant
44) Marvin Mims
45) Jerrin Thompson
46) Damieon George

Edited by Fud
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

ESPN apparnelty randomly updated their top 300 recently, and I'm not sure if they even advertised it. It's all over the place. 

1) Zach Evans
2) Jase McClellan
3) Haynes King
4) Demond Demas
5) Ja'Quinden Jackson
6) Drew Sanders
7) RJ Mickens
8')Nate Anderson
9) Quentin Johnston
10) Jaylon Jones
11) Hudson Card
12) Jake Majors
13) Chris Thompson
14) Vernon Broughton
15) Jalen Kimber
16) Kitan Crawford
17) EJ Smith
18) Troy Omeire
19) Alfred Collins
20) Michael Henderson
21) Seth McGowan
22) Chad Lindberg
23) Jaylen Garth
24) Jahari Rogers
25) Bryson Washington
26) Garrett Hayes
27) Lorando Johnson
28) Kevontre Bradford
29) Ty'Kieast Crawford
30) Logan Parr
31) Xavion Alford
32) Dwight McGlothern Jr
33) Malik Hornsby
34) Jaxon Smith-Njigba
35) James Sylvester
36) Jacarrion Green
37) Prince Dorbah
38) Ryan Watts
39) Chandler Morris
40) Josh White
41) Brendon Lewis
42) Princely Umanmielen
43) Alec Bryant
44) Marvin Mims
45) Jerrin Thompson
46) Damieon George

They're really high on Nate Anderson and Kitan Crawford, two prospects I really like

They're really low on a couple notable names 

ESPN300 updated rankings. Previous rankings here: https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/100-texas-recruiting-notes-2020/page/117/&tab=comments#comment-1026041

1. Zach Evans

7. Justin Flowe

9. Sav'ell Smalls

17. Jase McClellan (OU commit)

18. Kelee Ringo

19. Haynes King

21. Demond Demas (A&M commit)

31. Bijan Robinson

33. Ja'Quinden Jackson

37. Drew Sanders (OU commit)

38. Kendall Milton

41. Elias Ricks (LSU commit)

45. Johnny Wilson

46. RJ Mickens (Clemson commit)

50. D.J. Uiagalelei

52. Jason Harris

59. Nate Anderson

62. Quentin Johnston

63. Jaylon Jones (A&M commit)

64. Hudson Card (Texas commit)

65. Jake Majors (Texas commit)

73. Chris Thompson, Jr.

79. Vernon Broughton

82. Bryce Young (USC commit)

83. Jalen Kimber (UGA commit)

86. Kitan Crawford

95. EJ Smith

100. Troy Omeire

106. Mookie Cooper

114. Alfred Collins

116. Jo'Quavious Marks

120. Michael Henderson (OU commit)

127. Clark Phillips III

138. Seth McGowan

144. Chad Lindberg

147. Fadil Diggs (about to commit to A&M, supposedly)

162. Jaylen Garth (Texas commit)

167. Jahari Rogers

168. Bryson Washington

174. Garrett Hayes

179. Lorando Johnson

180. Kevontre Bradford

181. Javian Hester

185. Ty'Kieast Crawford (Arkansas commit)

187. Tosh Baker

190. Lathan Ransom

198. Logan Parr (Texas commit)

210. Xavion Alford

211. Dwight McGlothern Jr.

215. Malik Hornsby

223. Jaxon Smith-Njigba (Ohio State commit)

232. James Sylvester

234. Prince Dorbah

235. Ryan Watts (OU commit)

237. Chandler Morris

238. Josh White (LSU commit)

249. Brendon Lewis

252. Myles Slusher

256. Devon Achane

259. Princely Umanmielen

264. Alec Bryant (LSU commit)

266. Marvin Mims Jr.

267. Jerrin Thompson

273. Damieon George

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Yeah, I suspect if he came out this year he actually would have been drafted higher than any of our other prospects - probably 3rd or 4th round.  

He’s huge and fast and a great tackler.  His ball skills may leave something to be desired, but he at least has athletic traits that are good even by NFL standards, plus at least some aspect of his film (run support) that jumps out as unique in a good way.  

On CJ, I think he will get drafted and that he’s both a better college WR and better pro prospect than LJH, but he’s going to run a slow time.  Probably mid round at best because of that, but the flip side is he’s a legit jump ball / fade route guy even at the NFL level whereas LJH isn’t really as dominant in those situations.

We’re probably going to have to wait for guys like BJ Foster, Bru McCoy, and Tyler Owens to become draft eligible before we start seeing a bunch of first rounders again.

Cosmi will be drafted

32 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Majors' new rating is wild.

He's a great center prospect 

Normally it's silly to bitch about a 5* not being ranked high enough over other 5*s because it's splitting hairs, but Ringo might be the best prospect in the country, and should be below #5

6 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Question about Card,  great stats last year,  how much of that was the fact that he was throwing to Wilson?  Is he legit?

More than throwing to Wilson, it was most of their schedule being garbage that they can run the score up against. When they played good competition like WL or NS, he struggled. 

That said, I think he's a good QB prospect.

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

More than throwing to Wilson, it was most of their schedule being garbage that they can run the score up against. When they played good competition like WL or NS, he struggled. 

Card’s also getting bumped by the services becuase he’s very advanced and performs well in camp settings. 

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Card’s also getting bumped by the services becuase he’s very advanced and performs well in camp settings. 

From what I've seen in full games, he's advanced in the sense that he has a good arm, spins it well, and is accurate, but he hardly has to do any post snap reading in his offense, and hardly ever has to throw into tight coverage. Not that that's the end of the world, Kyler hardly had to go past his first read this last year, but it's more of an unknown than anything, and it's not automatic that someone will be good processing plays post snap when the first read isn't there. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fud said:

he/they definitely struggled against WL and NS (most teams did) but LT rarely ran up the score on anyone. Card was out early in most of the blowout games. Coach Stein rotates a lot faster than previous OCs and Carter does not like running up the score on anyone not named WL.

3 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

he/they definitely struggled against WL and NS (most teams did) but LT rarely ran up the score on anyone. Card was out early in most of the blowout games. Coach Stein rotates a lot faster than previous OCs and Carter does not like running up the score on anyone not named WL.

I'll rephrase; racking up yardage throwing to guys running wide open down the field, or throwing to guys wide open in the short or intermediate who run 40 yards after the catch into the endzone. The games were frustrating to watch as a person trying to figure out how good he was, because he didn't have to do much. 

I think he has the tools to justify being highly ranked, I just haven't seen enough data of him doing advanced quarterback things in games. Maybe he'll start doing that, maybe not. 

I do like his functional athleticism. His first step is really fast; he'll get five yards down the field before the defense reacts. Reminds me of Russ Wilson. And he's elusive. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fud said:

From what I've seen in full games, he's advanced in the sense that he has a good arm, spins it well, and is accurate, but he hardly has to do any post snap reading in his offense, and hardly ever has to throw into tight coverage. Not that that's the end of the world, Kyler hardly had to go past his first read this last year, but it's more of an unknown than anything, and it's not automatic that someone will be good processing plays post snap when the first read isn't there. 

im not sure i agree with this. there are very few true pre-snap reads (meaning look at the coverage pre-snap and know where you are going to throw the ball without making a post-snap read ie..  catch, step and throw to that receiver immediately). i have the entire playbook and there are only a couple of true pre-snap reads that dictate where the ball will be thrown automatically. Now, if you mean that he has a pretty good idea based on alignment and what the D is showing pre-snap, i agree but it almost always requires a post-snap read of the conflicted defender that the play is designed to attack. If its the corner,  and the corner stays short, the ball is thrown to the corner route without delay knowing the safety had inside leverage. if the corner goes deep, the throw is to the stick/curl knowing the outside LB had inside leverage and won't be able to get out to the flats that fast. But my point is there are some basic post-snap reads in approx 90% of LT's pass plays. Its not overly complex in what it asks the QB to read after the snap but thats true of any spread offense. He also ad-libs a lot when throws off a scramble. 

Just now, Fud said:

I'll rephrase; racking up yardage throwing to guys running wide open down the field, or throwing to guys wide open in the short or intermediate who run 40 yards after the catch into the endzone. The games were frustrating to watch as a person trying to figure out how good he was, because he didn't have to do much. 

I think he has the tools to justify being highly ranked, I just haven't seen enough data of him doing advanced quarterback things in games. Maybe he'll start doing that, maybe not. 

I do like his functional athleticism. His first step is really fast; he'll get five yards down the field before the defense reacts. Reminds me of Russ Wilson. And he's elusive. 

agreed. i liked what i saw in the Judson game. he really took it over, created an offense out of thin air, and put the team on his back. i was hoping he could do the same against NS but it was too much to ask against that D with LT's offensive line from last year.

Just now, Longhorn94 said:

im not sure i agree with this. there are very few true pre-snap reads (meaning look at the coverage pre-snap and know where you are going to throw the ball without making a post-snap read ie..  catch, step and throw to that receiver immediately). i have the entire playbook and there are only a couple of true pre-snap reads that dictate where the ball will be thrown automatically. Now, if you mean that he has a pretty good idea based on alignment and what the D is showing pre-snap, i agree but it almost always requires a post-snap read of the conflicted defender that the play is designed to attack. If its the corner,  and the corner stays short, the ball is thrown to the corner route without delay knowing the safety had inside leverage. if the corner goes deep, the throw is to the stick/curl knowing the outside LB had inside leverage and won't be able to get out to the flats that fast. But my point is there are some basic post-snap reads in approx 90% of LT's pass plays. Its not overly complex in what it asks the QB to read after the snap but thats true of any spread offense. He also ad-libs a lot when throws off a scramble. 

What I'm getting at is from the games I watched (two against shitty schools, two against WL and NS), I hardly ever saw him have to process the play post-snap if the primary read that he was going to from the snap wasn't there, and when it wasn't there, he wasn't as accurate. 

• Like 1