Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

I don't have the story on his "drama" so the indifference on Omeire seems a tad disingenious to me. He's a long, physical possession receiver with good hands.  Wouldn't you take his committment right now if he wanted to give it, instead of "saving yourself" from it?  

He's slooooooow and then we wouldn't get Quentin Johnson who is the "raw but with endless potential" guy everyone likes more.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I don't have the story on his "drama" so the indifference on Omeire seems a tad disingenious to me. He's a long, physical possession receiver with good hands.  Wouldn't you take his committment right now if he wanted to give it, instead of "saving yourself" from it?  

He runs a 4.8 and gets no separation.  He’s not terrible, but we can likely do better. If he ends up in the class, fine. If not, we’ll probably replace him with someone better.

• Like 1

27-F0-BD82-57-D4-45-F0-A594-B6-AACA0-C2184.jpg
Otis Kirk is one of the mods on hogville. I have no idea if he’s one of their more credible insiders. Also, the post by RowNorseRow is hilarious.

He likes piggy being mentioned in the same breath as aggy..

They just keep devaluing one of our championships.

Rivals is updating it's rankings this week if anybody wants to keep track of it this week.  Released top 10 today.  Be interesting to see if guys like Collins and Crawford make jumps.  Maybe Hullaby enters the top 90 in-state.  They also have JQJ the lowest by far of the 3 services.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

Rivals is updating it's rankings this week if anybody wants to keep track of it this week.  Released top 10 today.  Be interesting to see if guys like Collins and Crawford make jumps.  Maybe Hullaby enters the top 90 in-state.  They also have JQJ the lowest by far of the 3 services.

And Quentin Johnston.

11 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

The only source I've seen on the thought that Bijan might shut it down during his OV was TFLoss misquoting OB so take it with a grain of salt

Roach said today he could see him making a decision pretty soon after his visit. 

17 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

BOMC

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Eh. I think he’s a step below. He’s good but he also spent all of last cycle on Catalon and couldn’t land him. Like I said, he’s above average, but I’d say the other 3 are elite. 

Naivar is a stud. Beck and Washington are ringers who do volume outside of their own position groups, and Hand has the biggest positional workload of the bunch outside of Carrington, but Naivar kills it with his group, even with the Catalon miss. Kids love him. 

Edited by Fud

JQJ being an EE gives him a much better shot at sticking at QB, which I really hope he does. That dude has the highest upside of anyone in the QB room but needs a lot of work as a passer. I think he could be an NFL linebacker but if he’s set on QB and he reaches his potential........I know that fucking hateable goober EJ kept repeating it but I can see a ton of Cam Newton in JQJ

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fud said:

Naivar is a stud. Beck and Washington are ringers who do volume outside of their own position groups, and Hand has the biggest positional workload of the bunch outside of Carrington, but Naivar kills it with his group, even with the Catalon miss. Kids love him. 

I think he may be the most overlooked position coach we have. Wouldn’t shock me if he took over for Orlando when he bolts

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

JQJ being an EE gives him a much better shot at sticking at QB, which I really hope he does. That dude has the highest upside of anyone in the QB room but needs a lot of work as a passer. I think he could be an NFL linebacker but if he’s set on QB and he reaches his potential........I know that fucking hateable goober EJ kept repeating it but I can see a ton of Cam Newton in JQJ

You got dam right.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Beck has proven to be one of the most valuable members of the staff. Unfortunately, he just happens to be a shit play caller.

I actually view it as a good thing. Beck sucking so bad at play calling forced Herman to take over that responsibility and there aren’t many people out there who are better than Herman at calling a game.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, closetojumping said:

You guys are overanalyzing Jackson, but I suppose it's what we do. The bottom line is that Herman's offense performs best when a big, above average runner is taking snaps behind center. Jackson fits that bill better than anyone else they've signed besides Ehlinger. I think he's the most important recruit in this class due to that, along with the flexibility of having a guy that could be a plus player at LB or H-Back if the QB'ing thing doesn't sort itself out well. I'll be much happier to have Jackson in the fold than Card.

I'm just happy we've kicked the can a couple years down the road from "which one should we take" to "JQJ/Card should starts".

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

This. Aggy needs to save us from ourselves on Omeire. 

Fong is drifting into Perroni/Tarp territory for me. The Auburn-Thompson stuff is the first I'm hearing about it. The Florida mods have already stated the Gators didn't do enough on Rogers visit to get him, but Fong thinks it's a dead heat, the f***? The IT guys seems very confident on Ransom, but Fong thinks we didn't do enough on an unofficial visit? 

Is contractually obligated to mention the SEC in every paragraph? 

I haven't seen anything from the IT guys to indicate we lead for Ransom. 

Edit: nevermind, I see that Nahlin has Ransom at 70% to Texas. I assume part of this is because we still have an OV to burn.

On Naivar, as far as I'm concerned he evaluates well and works his ass off on the trail. Perhaps I'm wrong but I think he's a secondary guy on the Broughton recruitment as well. Maybe he's not quite the salesman that Washington, Beck, or Hand are but he's more than earned his keep. That said a guy with the reputation he has should be able to win the Bryson Washington recruitment.

Edited by Machinator

6 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Beck has proven to be one of the most valuable members of the staff. Unfortunately, he just happens to be a shit play caller.

With Hand, Beck and Herman will always be great play callers. And yes, Beck AND Herman were pretty bad in yr 1. Funny how that works.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 5

Mike at Night: Impact of Jackson, more on Ransom, crystal balls

—The commitment of Ja'Quinden Jackson today was absolutely massive for the Longhorns. A shot in the arm was needed, and Texas got it from one of the best players in the state. The questions about where he plays at the next level limited his rating somewhat, but Jackson is one of the best high school players I’ve ever seen. His play over the last two seasons at Duncanville was breathtaking at times, and he has the competitive fire and toughness that fits perfectly with the culture Tom Hermanwants at Texas.

—Buzz coming out of the UOV weekend surrounding Tucson (Az.) Salpointe Catholic safety Lathan Ransom is extremely positive. In speaking with Ransom and other sources, there is a feeling that the Longhorns made a huge move in this recruitment. I’m told that LSU is probably still the favorite, but the visit could not have gone any better. Ransom will be returning to campus in two weeks for an official visit, and the Longhorns can keep that momentum rolling when they get him back on campus.

—Buzz from College Station yesterday was that the Aggies moved back into the lead for four-star wide receiver Troy Omeire. It’s been a familiar story in Omeire’s recruitment over the last few months where the school currently hosting him comes out of the weekend feeling like they have the advantage. Texas A&M is certainly a real threat. They’ve battled the Longhorns back and forth for momentum for the majority of this race, and recently LSU made their way in. I’m told that Omeire still intends to make his visits, and if that happens, we could be in for some more twists and turns.

—I’m told that Arkansas feels confident about four-star defensive lineman Vernon Broughton coming out of their weekend OV. The Razorbacks have done a great job recruiting the entire family this cycle, and the offers made to his brother and cousin created a big impact. We’ll see if the post-visit buzz wears off, but there is confidence in Fayetteville.

—As 247Sports' Steve Wiltfong reported, there is a considerable buzz around Tucson (Az.) Salpointe Catholic running back Bijan Robinson.  As I've reported over the past few weeks, there is a strong feeling that the Longhorns are a quiet leader in this race.  Robinson's spring visit was described to me by an Arizona source as "incredible", and the five-star back is returning to Austin June 21st for an official visit.  Ohio State seems to be the main competition along with UCLA and maybe USC.  It would not be a surprise to see Robinson shut things down after making his visit to Austin.  I've entered a crystal ball pick for the Longhorns.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, VaHorn said:

With Hand, Beck and Herman will always be great play callers. And yes, Beck AND Herman were pretty bad in yr 1. Funny how that works.

What's funny is how wrong you are on so many levels. Beck is a shitty play caller. Herman is a great play caller (although I still say his dedication to 11 personnel may be trouble.) Hand, while being a great addition for many reasons, is not a play caller. 

Also, year 1 was mostly Beck, a freshman Sam, a lol worthy oline and a stubbornness to stick to scheme employing Garrett as the starting tight end until we geniusly put in an undersized freshman in his place. 

You can now consider yourself educated on this matter. 

11 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Hand, while being a great addition for many reasons, is not a play caller. 

In his defense, he's not saying that Hand calls plays. He's saying Hand's impact, meaning the O-line's overall impact, help Herman and Beck not suck. 

Obviously Hand helps in all of that. But also, not having 2017's offensive line out there helped with that. Calvin Anderson helped with that. Cosmi stepping up helped with that. Sam being a year wiser helped with that. Herman taking shit over helped with that. 

15 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

In his defense, he's not saying that Hand calls plays. He's saying Hand's impact, meaning the O-line's overall impact, help Herman and Beck not suck. 

Obviously Hand helps in all of that. But also, not having 2017's offensive line out there helped with that. Calvin Anderson helped with that. Cosmi stepping up helped with that. Sam being a year wiser helped with that. Herman taking shit over helped with that. 

If that's the case...

1 hour ago, Casual Encounter said:

It’s funny that you expect us to comprehend the first sentence.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

The first sentence makes sense to me and further proves why the Oxford Comma is important--even for simple lists.

Yep. Oxford comma, or GTFO.

And assuming that’s what he meant, he’s still deadass wrong. Beck is a horrible play caller, even if his OL coach makes his calls look less terrible. 

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yep. Oxford comma, or GTFO.

And assuming that’s what he meant, he’s still deadass wrong. Beck is a horrible play caller, even if his OL coach makes his calls look less terrible. 

Yes.  The first sentence is legible.  It is also inaccurate.

Beck calling plays against Maryland and Tulsa last year looked terrible.  It was pretty clear that he (or someone not Herman) was calling plays in the spring game, too, and it was basically unwatchable.

• Like 1

Beck can design plays and scheme during the week, but he's terrible at the dynamic game theory adeptness that it takes to pick the plays at the right time, and at sequencing them in an order that makes sense and set up future plays; with him, it was picking plays out of a hat, and if we ever had several successful plays in a row, time to call a trick play that hadn't been properly set up yet

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fud said:

Beck can design plays and scheme during the week, but he's terrible at the dynamic game theory adeptness that it takes to pick the plays at the right time, and at sequencing them in an order that makes sense and set up future plays; with him, it was picking plays out of a hat, and if we ever had several successful plays in a row, time to call a trick play that hadn't been properly set up yet

Yep. I used to think the playcaller didn't really matter, until I saw Beck call our games.... I generally think most playcallers aren't much different from each other, but the bottom 10% and top 10% really separate themselves from the middle tier. I'd say Beck's in that bottom 10 and Herman's in that top 10.

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yep. I used to think the playcaller didn't really matter, until I saw Beck call our games.... I generally think most playcallers aren't much different from each other, but the bottom 10% and top 10% really separate themselves from the middle tier. I'd say Beck's in that bottom 10 and Herman's in that top 10.

You watched Shawn Watson run this offense, but it took Beck to make you realize that playcallers can make a difference?

• Like 2