Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

5 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

This is complete bs

Joke is on you.  Giles got hot wing sauce all over his shirt, and everyone knows about Giles' legendary fastidiousness.  So he took that shirt off only to expose his lucky teal undershirt, which is what he was photographed in.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

So you've just admitted that scheme fit doesn't actually have a single thing to do with it? Thanks for confirming that it's winning, recruiters and *allegedly* money, to which I'm not nearly the acolyte of Pay Players as you and Michael Knight's ceaseless and baseless insistence. We didn't lose Leal due to money, and we won't lose Broughton to it either. It's flat out incompetence and being outworked and having a fucking potato slug as our primary position recruiter, and Herman's lack of willingness to do anything about it. If we didn't have Captain Chicken Wang on the case, then he would successfully account for the whole scheme issue without breaking a sweat. And at this point, fuck Orlando too. 

Scheme and Giles are too much to overcome given lack of positive offsets. It's like starting every recruitment from behind

Mike Roach: Four-star DL Alfred Collins sees no stress in recruiting process

Alfred Collins has been a regular visitor at Texas. The four-star defensive lineman from Bastrop Cedar Creek made another trip to Texas on Saturday for the Heat Wave pool party. Even though he’s seen Austin many times, Collins said he still gets something new out of each trip. “I see the way they do things,” he said. “I’m building up that relationship and seeing how I like them. That’s what I get out of it.”

Collins is pretty low key. He’s not about social media or the spotlight in recruiting. He said the highlight of his trip was spending time with the Texas coaching staff including Texas head coach Tom Herman and Texas defensive line coach Oscar Giles. “Spending time with coach Herman and coach Giles,” he said.

The Heat Wave is usually lauded as a stress-free environment for most recruits. For Collins, there was no change. He said he never really stresses over recruiting. “I feel the same,” he said. “I don’t really stress over anything.” Collins is still looking to check all the boxes for a future school, and he said that his needs are pretty standard. “Family based, somewhere I want to play, and somewhere I want to stay for three years,” he said.

Collins is fairly versatile, but the coaching staff told him they see him sticking at defensive end. “My hand will be on the ground,” he said. “I’m playing defensive end.” Collins is growing like crazy, and he said he’s up to nearly 280 pounds right now. His secret? He’s been doing it the old fashion way. “I was at 240 last season,” he said. “I’ve just been working out and working my butt off.”

At 6-foot-5, 280 pounds, Collins is ranked as the No. 9 strong-side defensive end in the nation and No. 28 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

6 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Scheme and Giles are too much to overcome given lack of positive offsets. It's like starting every recruitment from behind

I agree with half of your sentiment. I don't think scheme matters for shit. It can be talked around and it can be sold, other schools and shittier schools do it all the time. All you need is a DL coach who punches his time clock for more than 30 minutes a day. 

33 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

It's funny you mention that as the Big 12 is having a renaissance away from the Air Raid offenses, at least on paper. Tech, nope. West Virginia, nope. Kansas, nope. Iowa State, never was one. Kansas State, never was one. So you're down to TCU, the two Oklahoma Schools, and who else? Baylor? Fuck them. So this conference is actually getting less Air Raid as opposed to more, at least in the short term.  

It's still an RPO heavy league with an emphasis on putting the defenders in the middle of the field in conflict. The odd man front with nickel/dime behind it works against this because you make the RPO reads more difficult, and you give more help to the defenders in the middle of the field. 

It'll still likely be the superior front in this league, unless you're recruiting and developing DL like Clemson, and even then, we saw what a great offensive mind in Brohm did against tOSU's 4 man defensive front 

9 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Mike Roach: Four-star DL Alfred Collins sees no stress in recruiting process

Hide contents

Alfred Collins has been a regular visitor at Texas. The four-star defensive lineman from Bastrop Cedar Creek made another trip to Texas on Saturday for the Heat Wave pool party. Even though he’s seen Austin many times, Collins said he still gets something new out of each trip. “I see the way they do things,” he said. “I’m building up that relationship and seeing how I like them. That’s what I get out of it.”

Collins is pretty low key. He’s not about social media or the spotlight in recruiting. He said the highlight of his trip was spending time with the Texas coaching staff including Texas head coach Tom Herman and Texas defensive line coach Oscar Giles. “Spending time with coach Herman and coach Giles,” he said.

The Heat Wave is usually lauded as a stress-free environment for most recruits. For Collins, there was no change. He said he never really stresses over recruiting. “I feel the same,” he said. “I don’t really stress over anything.” Collins is still looking to check all the boxes for a future school, and he said that his needs are pretty standard. “Family based, somewhere I want to play, and somewhere I want to stay for three years,” he said.

Collins is fairly versatile, but the coaching staff told him they see him sticking at defensive end. “My hand will be on the ground,” he said. “I’m playing defensive end.” Collins is growing like crazy, and he said he’s up to nearly 280 pounds right now. His secret? He’s been doing it the old fashion way. “I was at 240 last season,” he said. “I’ve just been working out and working my butt off.”

At 6-foot-5, 280 pounds, Collins is ranked as the No. 9 strong-side defensive end in the nation and No. 28 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

If he's added that weight and kept his quickness, he could have his rankings skyrocket this fall with some good film. 

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I agree with half of your sentiment. I don't think scheme matters for shit. It can be talked around and it can be sold, other schools and shittier schools do it all the time. All you need is a DL coach who punches his time clock for more than 30 minutes a day. 

Hal Mumme and Mike Leach

TFloss posted this 

Rivals had a follow up report on DT Vernon Broughtonand he mentioned his scheme preference is a 4-3 where can play DE, as opposed to a 3-4 which is what Texas runs.

Inside Texas mentioned A&M did a very good job of convincing him that he's best suited for 4-3 DE even though Broughton has already said himself he's destined to be an interior guy.

Based on this specific report, Texas could now be running third behind A&M and Ohio State.

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Herman needs to move his buddy Giles into an off the field role after the 2019 season... 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think the 3-man vs. 4-man argument fronts sets us back to some extent. To be clear, though, I think Giles digs his own grave more so than anything else.

A positive example is safety recruiting. Naivar is a plus recruiter, but I think he's helped by the fact that we play 4 safeties on the field for a large number of snaps, so he can plausibly sell playing time to elite recruits every cycle. That said, I'm fascinated to see how the coaches juggle Foster, Overshown, B. Jones, and Sterns this season.

5 minutes ago, Hornsfan91 said:

TFloss posted this 

Rivals had a follow up report on DT Vernon Broughtonand he mentioned his scheme preference is a 4-3 where can play DE, as opposed to a 3-4 which is what Texas runs.

Inside Texas mentioned A&M did a very good job of convincing him that he's best suited for 4-3 DE even though Broughton has already said himself he's destined to be an interior guy.

Based on this specific report, Texas could now be running third behind A&M and Ohio State.

tumblr_inline_o61ot42UVq1qbdfcp_500.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Baylor is not air raid anymore.  They run a very similar offense to Texas and Iowa State.

Oklahoma State is also not air raid (and hasn't been for several years).  They're a very specific Gundy offense that is way more balanced and interested in forcing defenses to try so hard to stop the run that they give up long bombs.  They just hired a power-spread coordinator from Princeton, too.  So they'll likely get more traditional instead of less traditional.

So the only teams running true air raid now are ou and TCU, although Yost at Tech has some sprinkling of air raid from his couple of years with Leach.

Some may not run "air raid" spread offenses but all of them run the spread offense as opposed to a traditional pro offense.

5 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

The staff believes 100% that we lost Leal because he was bought.

I never heard that from anyone else that dude was a straight up auction. I can't speak to if that is genuine belief, belief based upon their own ago and hubris, or it's just garbage they're telling people to take the heat off their failures. Maybe he was bought, but of all the guys we heard about cash in the last cycle, Leal wasn't a name that was bandied about except by the usual people here who assume we get out-bought, not out-worked. Maybe he was and it was quiet. 

Herman also looked at last years cycle and decided that even Oscar Giles can't fuck up the recruit of Collins, and well, who wants to take that bet at this point?

Edited by SydneyCarton

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

It was never clear to me whether he was bought or not, but it's interesting that we give A&M the benefit of the doubt because we hate Giles the recruiter so much. 

How about fuck aggy bagmen and lazy Giles?

• Like 1

The NCAA needs to do something about this shit or we need to the Texas legislature to follow California’s lead.  I always laugh when I speak with other teams’ fans and they say we cheat.  I tell them if we did that they would know because we would get everyone we wanted.  I didn’t realize Mike Williams went to LSU.  Hope we beat the shit out them, set them on fire and piss on the ashes.

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

I never heard that from anyone else that dude was a straight up auction. I can't speak to if that is genuine belief, belief based upon their own ago and hubris, or it's just garbage they're telling people to take the heat off their failures. Maybe he was bought, but of all the guys we heard about cash in the last cycle, Leal wasn't a name that was bandied about except by the usual people here who assume we get out-bought, not out-worked. Maybe he was an it was quiet. 

Yeah I don't know. I don't keep up with who is or isn't holding their hand out. I just know I was asking one of the coaches,  who is one of our best recruiters and who refuses to make excuses about anything, about what happened with Leal and he said "Jimbo bought him a good one." I followed up with "are you serious?" He said Leal was all Texas until Aggy bought him.

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Re the scheme fit thing and Giles inability to counter it, @golfclap had what I thought was a great post about this a few weeks ago.  A DL coach change won't make as much of difference as people think if the DC himself is still unable to counter it.

That's true, but it's much more plausible to add a good front-7 recruiter and address the offense-defense imbalance by letting one of our WR/TE coaches go than it is to shitcan an above-average defensive coordinator because he's not a good salesman. On top of that I have no idea how long Orlando is for Texas before he moves on somewhere else (I would assume a promotion or the NFL). So here, we're focused on solutions that have a chance at being implemented.

Edited by Machinator

Well, her profile banner is in aggie gear. 

Eric has a new post up on inside texas if anyone wants to paste it. He's still drinking the sunshine on Robinson. He still thinks it's Texas for Broughton after the glow wears off. But he's hedging. Honestly, I don't remember a cycle where Eric drank this much sunshine.

Edited by SydneyCarton

15 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Re the scheme fit thing and Giles' inability to counter it, @golfclap had what I thought was a great post about this a few weeks ago.  A DL coach change won't make as much of a difference as people think if the DC himself is still unable to counter it.

Yep, this is more than Giles being lazy. It's also about Orlando being a really bad recruiter as he should be the one to overcome scheme fit, and maybe adjusting it to have even man looks in certain situations.

i don't know shit but scheme may be the bigger issue with DL recruiting.  may be an easy negative recruiting angle to say, in a 3-4, DLs are asked to eat space for the LBs to make plays vs in 4-3, we (read most anyone but texas) are asking out DLs to stand out and make plays.  i would think that plays more on a DL recruit's mind more than his relationship with a position coach.  

we have an advantage of scheme with DBs where we routinely run 5 DBs at a time.  our DB recruiting has been lights out.  that's prob not a coincidence.

Edited by crash_davis

2 hours ago, Stampeder said:

Collin Johnson, Brandon Jones, D. Duvernay and Shackleford all should go much earlier than anyone this past year.  Collin has an outside shot at day 1.  I think all the others are day 2 types.  Nowhere near where we need to be, but a definite improvement over the last several years.

You’re overrating every single guy by a good bit. Duvernay and Shack are not on a path to even get drafted unless they have huge senior years. Regardless, the 2020 draft won’t be significantly better than the 2018 draft and that one didn’t move the needle on recruiting, so we’ll still be waiting til 2021 to change the draft narrative. 

1 hour ago, SWC said:

Sure but our D is a flanking maneuver set up for air raid defense.  We don't play against 2 yard and "a cloud of dust" teams.  We match up well against the plodding $ec teams as long as their qb's can't get the ball to the flats.  From was a key example of this.  Go re-watch the sugar bowl.  We killed jawja 27-7 with 6 mins left in the game.  We matched up man on the outside and used speed to control the LOS.  Large heavy defenses are going to be phasing out.  Large agile d-lineman are in.  Smaller hybrid lb's with larger hybrid db's.  We are fine.  Stop trying to fit into the $ec mold.  It's outdated. 

Every time you post it becomes more and more apparent you have no clue what you’re talking about. 

37 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I think the 3-man vs. 4-man argument fronts sets us back to some extent. To be clear, though, I think Giles digs his own grave more so than anything else.

The scheme certainly has a small impact, but it’s nothing that can’t be overcome. And like Fud said, it’s far superior to any 4 man front based on the offenses we face. 

This all falls on Herman. He has to make TO spend time breaking down film with their top defensive targets, like Broughton. And it wouldn’t hurt to even out TOs workload to accomplish this. Being the DC with an offensive HC, thereby only being allotted 4 defensive coaches of the total 11 coaches on staff is ridiculous. Herman also needs to get an ace position recruiter for the front 7 of the defense. Combine that with Herman not being a true closer himself and you have a combination that will miss on its top front 7 targets more often than not. Herman doing nothing about this is a huge stain on an otherwise job well done so far. 

Broughton believing he needs to be a 4-3 DE is nothing more than the school’s that run a 4 man front outrecruiting us. He’s already close to 300 lbs as a junior in HS and he looks like shit even when lining up outside at camps. He only looks like a potential 5 star when rushing from the inside.

A lot of people keep saying Elko will move him inside full time, but he won’t. Kingsley Keke is a perfect example of how misused Broughton will be when Elko keeps him at DE. Many scouts mentioned how much better Keke was from the DT spot when he got to rush there. If Elko used him at DT all year, he would’ve gone higher in the draft. This should be an easy thing to point out for our staff.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Machinator said:

That's true, but it's much more plausible to add a good front-7 recruiter and address the offense-defense imbalance by letting one of our WR/TE coaches go than it is to shitcan an above-average defensive coordinator because he's not a good salesman. On top of that I have no idea how long Orlando is for Texas before he moves on somewhere else (I would assume a promotion or the NFL). So here, we're focused on solutions that have a chance at being implemented.

Yes, Texas needs a DE/OLB recruiter to help both Giles and Orlando.

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Well, her profile banner is in aggie gear. 

Eric has a new post up on inside texas if anyone wants to paste it. He's still drinking the sunshine on Robinson. He still thinks it's Texas for Broughton after the glow wears off. But he's hedging. 

He is still predicting Texas run a clean sweep. Robinson, Broughton, Washington, etc. He says if he is wrong on Robinson he will look at how he gets his info on out of state recruits he is that confident. 

He is waiting on an email from momma Broughton to confirm. 

Edited by Newy25

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

You’re overrating every single guy by a good bit. Duvernay and Shack are not on a path to even get drafted unless they have huge senior years. Regardless, the 2020 draft won’t be significantly better than the 2018 draft and that one didn’t move the needle on recruiting, so we’ll still be airing til 2021 to change the draft narrative. 

Every time you post it becomes more and more apparent you have no clue what you’re talking about. 

The scheme certainly has a small impact, but it’s nothing that can’t be overcome. And like Fud said, it’s far superior to any 4 man front based on the offenses we face. 

This all falls on Herman. He has to make TO spend time breaking down film with their top defensive targets, like Broughton. And it wouldn’t hurt to even out TOs workload to accomplish this. Being the DC with an offensive HC, thereby only being allotted 4 defensive coaches of the total 11 coaches on staff is ridiculous. Herman also needs to get an ace position recruiter for the front 7 of the defense. Combine that with Herman not being a true closer himself and you have a combination that will miss on its top front 7 targets more often than not. Herman doing nothing about this is a huge stain on an otherwise job well done so far. 

Broughton believing he needs to be a 4-3 DE is nothing more than the school’s that run a 4 man front outrecruiting is. He’s already close to 300 lbs as a junior in HS and he looks like shit even when lining up outside at camps. He only looks like a potential 5 star when rushing from the inside.

A lot of people keep saying Elko will soon him inside full time, but he won’t. Kingsley Keke is a perfect example of how misused Broughton will be when Elko keeps him at DE. Many scouts mentioned how much better Keke was from the DT spot when he got to rush there. If Elko used him at DT all year, he would’ve gone higher in the draft.

Man, good stuff.  Remember orange slices and milk and cookies?  Just win baby.   I think we have an easier path than the bama path.  The $ec is going to grind aggy into turd dust.  If we can win the B12 1 out of 2 or 2 out 3 times consistently, we'll get what we want.  I think our D scheme is excellent and very versatile but we do need the elite players on D line to make it to the top.

31 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:
1 hour ago, Katfid54 said:

Baylor is not air raid anymore.  They run a very similar offense to Texas and Iowa State.

Oklahoma State is also not air raid (and hasn't been for several years).  They're a very specific Gundy offense that is way more balanced and interested in forcing defenses to try so hard to stop the run that they give up long bombs.  They just hired a power-spread coordinator from Princeton, too.  So they'll likely get more traditional instead of less traditional.

So the only teams running true air raid now are ou and TCU, although Yost at Tech has some sprinkling of air raid from his couple of years with Leach.

Some may not run "air raid" spread offenses but all of them run the spread offense as opposed to a traditional pro offense. 

Right.  And have you seen what Orlando's D does to traditional spread offenses?  Have you watched either of the ISU games?  Or either of the Baylor games with Orlando at the helm?  Or maybe when UH played against top-5 Louisville in 2016? 

Prediction.Pain.gif

41 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Doesn't really matter what offense you face,  if you have corners that can really play one on one everyone else on the D is better.  

Edited by Laga4