Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

2 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

These large, agile d-linemen are exactly what we've been bitching about missing out on. We'd prefer the best of the best of them. 

It'll happen. Herman is still relatively new to these recruits, so they want to see if he's the real deal. The Georgia win was good, not great. They went to the NC game year before. Once Herman gets 11+ wins, the highly ranked D-linemen will come. We just need Herman to get these guys drafted on day 1 and 2, even if it's just 2-3 of them. Sterns and Foster are easily first round (Foster may he 2nd), and Johnson is a day 1-2 draft. 

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

It'll happen. Herman is still relatively new to these recruits, so they want to see if he's the real deal. The Georgia win was good, not great. They went to the NC game year before. Once Herman gets 11+ wins, the highly ranked D-linemen will come. We just need Herman to get these guys drafted on day 1 and 2, even if it's just 2-3 of them. Sterns and Foster are easily first round (Foster may he 2nd), and Johnson is a day 1-2 draft. 

Collin Johnson?

3 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Can I just say that I love that we're going to crowdsource this motherfucker just for posting about his rep?

giphy.gif

Im going to crowdsource him for being, as Burt pointed out, a complete fucking idiot. He just quoted an article link that equivalently said “walk ons are good” and used it as justification that Nebraksa can solve all their problems. 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Im going to crowdsource him for being, as Burt pointed out, a complete fucking idiot. He just quoted an article link that equivalently said “walk ons are good” and used it as justification that Nebraksa can solve all their problems. 

If being "a complete fucking idiot" got you crowdsourced around here, we wouldn't have the Football board.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Wrong.gif

I love the idea that Herman isnt a known quantity, but Jimbo Fisher sure by golly is...hermans working on his fifth year in this state coaching as a HC, and that includes a head to head pistol whipping of jimbo. Priceless logic as usual. Must be that One Ring. 

Just now, Spider2YBanana said:

I don't see him as a round 1 guy, but his size will draw him attention. I can see realistically late round 2  to early round 3 just on size 

See Hakeem butler and lilJordan Humphrey this past draft. CJ will probably catch the ball in combine drills so he won’t go undrafted, but look at Butler. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I don't see him as a round 1 guy, but his size will draw him attention. I can see realistically late round 2  to early round 3 just on size 

Hakeem Butler had similar size, eye popping performances, and ran a 4.45ish and was round 4. But dont let facts or common sense trip you up. 

• Haha 1

Maybe Herman has HC'd too many teams that have a disadvantage in recruiting.  So much so, that he has created a system that does not lend to pulling the typical studs.  His whole system seems to be using athletic tweeners to edge the competition.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 16

Just now, SWC said:

Maybe Herman has HC'd too many teams that have a disadvantage in recruiting.  So much so, that he has created a system that does not lend to pulling the typical studs.  His whole system seems to be using athletic tweeners to edge the competition.

Yeah. No one else wanted Ed Oliver or Caden Sterns. This is great keep going. 

3 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

True about the Butler comparison. I'm more optimistic I guess. 

He needs to prove that he can separate against future NFL corners, or he'll fall like Equanimeous St. Brown, Auden Tate, Allen Lazard, Jaleel Scott, and Marcell Ateman did in recent years. You can't just be tall and win jump balls anymore to get drafted in the first round.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Yeah the 4-3 end thing doesn't check out to me. Broughton has to know he won't play that spot in the league, should he get there. Aggy is probably showing him Myles Garrett highlights and the salary slot for a DE at number overall. That's wildly unrealistic and if Texas is letting them get away with that, it's gross negligence. Or maybe it's just whay he wanted to hear all along, and teenagers tend to go with that.

Still, he's a prototypical interior rusher for the league. Counter that Myles Garrett shit with Aaron Donald and JJ Watt and their salaries. Not to mention Poona Ford at Texas and now Seattle and Ed Oliver under Orlando at Houston.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Or he wants to play the 3-Tech instead of 4i or NT?

1 minute ago, Fud said:

He needs to prove that he can separate against future NFL corners, or he'll fall like Equanimeous St. Brown, Auden Tate, Allen Lazard, Jaleel Scott, and Marcell Ateman did in recent years. You can't just be tall and win jump balls anymore to get drafted in the first round.

Oh, I don't think he'll be a first round pick, I just threw that out there as some have predicted it. But I agree he does need to show he can separate and run his routes. 

20 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I don't think Sterns has any chance at the first round unless he runs 4.5s. Seems the trend is also moving to faster safeties. Here's the last six years of rd1: 

2019 None 

2018  3  - All 3 ran 4.4 or better.

2017  3  - Jamal Adams 4.56, Malik Hooker  injured, Jabrill Peppers 4.46.

2016  2  - Karl Joseph injured, Keanu Neal 4.62. 

2015  4 - Calvin Pryor 4.58, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix 4.58, Deone Bucannon 4.49, Jimmie Ward 4.6

2014  3 Kenny Vaccaro 4.63, Eric Reid 4.52, Matt Elam 4.5. 

Edited by totallynotabuttpirate

3 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

Hakeem Butler is basically a faster Collin Johnson who put up CJ's best case scenario numbers last season and he went 4th round.

Yeah, the Butler pick was kind of shocking, tbh. I figured he would be a round 2 guy. Butler is a great example, and it definitely makes me re-think my thoughts on Johnson. 

Just now, totallynotabuttpirate said:

I don't think he has any chance at the first round unless he runs 4.5s. Seems the trend is also moving to faster safeties. Here's the last six years of rd1: 

2019 None 

2015  4 - Calvin Pryor 4.58, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix 4.58, Deone Bucannon 4.49, Jimmie Ward 4.6

Remember he's still a true soph, so he can improve his speed. The kid is a freak athlete. But I see your point. 

1 minute ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Sterns is a true sophomore this coming season?

My b.  I clicked back in and thought that was still a worthless discussion about Collin Johnson.  Didn't realize it had moved on to a worthless discussion about Caden Sterns.

Edited by Katfid54
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You mean that place almost no one can stomach other than the inmates?

The football board is like taking the subway in the city. Every once in a while you the get the urge to get a dog from a street vendor and get on the train but as soon as you do you wonder what the fuck you were thinking. It's pure savagery. 

This board is the car service of boards. Stay away from the football board unless you are ready to be asked for money by a homeless tranny covered in their own urine. 

3 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

I don't think Sterns has any chance at the first round unless he runs 4.5s. Seems the trend is also moving to faster safeties. Here's the last six years of rd1: 

2019 None 

The 40 is a skill like everything else at the combine and not a true indicator of game speed. If he plays fast, idk that it will factor much into his draft stock. I don't disagree that he will need to play a little faster to go first round, but a year of game action will help there

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

18 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Only way that happens is if he uses his size this year to win more one on one battles.   I'd like to see him improve his positioning on defenders.  With his speed, he is going to need an outstanding year for someone to take him in the first 3 rounds.  And that is still a maybe.  Would love for you to be right though.

1 minute ago, UTEX90 said:

Only way that happens is if he uses his size this year to win more one on one battles.   I'd like to see him improve his positioning on defenders.  With his speed, he is going to need an outstanding year for someone to take him in the first 3 rounds.  And that is still a maybe.  Would love for you to be right though.

You and me both. But a lot of y'all have made pretty good arguments as to why he won't. 

56 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Yah, but the two highly ranked linemen in question are going to Aggy (Well, Leal did, Broughton trending). 

I'm guessing Aggy, no matter who the coaches are now, can sell Myles Garrett. Two DTs in the mid rounds this year isn't shabby, I guess. Also can tell the kid he's going to play exactly where he wants to play. 

Edited by UncleBuck

14 minutes ago, SWC said:

Back to work.  I'll be back after I go laugh at texags.

Always disappointing when you come face to face with aggy's best and brightest.

Can you imagine if your best "long con" was spending 45 minutes posting worthless hot takes about walk-on programs and 4-3 defensive schemes?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1