Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/10/open-post-wednesday-october-31st/

2020 Defensive Tackle Alfred Collins | In Person
– CJ Vogel

Four-star defensive lineman Alfred Collins is going to be a name to know during Texas’ 2020 recruiting cycle.

I made it out to Bastrop for Collins’ game against Elgin this Friday. It’s easy to see why schools are already trying to secure the talents of the 6-foot, 5-inch defensive tackle.

Collins is very lengthy but is going to need to add a lot of weight for the next level. Luckily, Collins has a favorable build to put on muscle.

I was impressed with Collins’ quickness off the ball. Though he will have to work on keeping his pad level low, something naturally difficult for someone who is 6’5”.

Elgin ran away from Collins for most of the night, though anything that came his way or up the middle was stuffed for the most part. Collins was very influential early with a quarterback pressure that resulted in a pick-six right before the half.

Collins is hearing often from Texas defensive lineman Oscar Giles.

“He texts me a lot. Phone calls, text messages all of that.”

Giles watched Collins in person earlier this season against Akins, a game where Collins racked up 13 tackles.

Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Baylor, Penn State, and Oregon are among other schools in contact with Collins early on.

The Longhorns may have an inside edge thanks to Collins’ mother who ran track on the 40 Acres while in school.

A commitment is a while away for Collins, who will likely take all five official visits during the summer before his senior year. I don’t expect him to be very active with unofficials beforehand. Regardless, impressive play on the field will go a long way in this recruitment.

Collins is a man of few words but certainly knows how to play ball. Whoever lands him is getting a really solid player.

Logan Parr Putting In Work On Recruiting Trail
– Andrew King

– Texas added a huge piece to the 2020 class on Sunday in O’Connor (TX) offensive guard Logan Parr

He’s one of the top offensive linemen in the state of Texas and will likely be the #1 guard in the state when it’s all said and done. So now that Parr is in the fold, is he going to make an impact with any other recruits? I wouldn’t expect Parr to be a vocal leader of the 2020 class as it takes shape. Though he does have some good relationships with some other Texas targets.

He told me, “I started recruiting players even before I committed.” There are three main guys Parr has his sights set on. “Locally, I’ve been talking to Jaylon Jones a lot. And position wise it’s Chad Lindberg and Jake Majors.” We’ve talked about the duo of Parr and Chad Lindberg likely being the top two offensive lineman in the state of Texas in 2020. And it sounds like the two are pretty close.

“I have been talking to Chad pretty much every day for the last year. And with Jake a lot more recently too. It would be really cool to bring those guys along with me.”

***Earlier this week Texas offered 2019 running back, Seth McGowan (Mesquite Poteet).

I checked in with McGowan to see if he plans on being at the Texas vs. West Virginia game and he said he will not be in attendance. But, I’m sure Texas will get him on campus in short order.

McGowan was offered by Oklahoma along with a number of schools last spring. So, our Alex King spoke with him after one of his visits up there. Here is a section from Alex’s post visit write up on McGowan…

Throughout the early portion of his recruiting process, McGowan had already received offers from programs like Arkansas, Baylor, Colorado, Nebraska and Oklahoma State among others. However, according to McGowan, he and his family have grown up fans of the Oklahoma program.

“My dad along with the rest of my family just came up as Sooners fans,” McGowan stated. “Watching the end of the Bob Stoops era and seeing the elite level he had them playing at was something that played a part in me being a fan.”

The part that recruits’ fandom may play in determining the outcome, can certainly be overstated. How many times have we heard a kid grew up a fan of a school and end up elsewhere? I can think of a very recent one in Dylan Wright. Also, you can add to that list Demarvin Leal. So, not a huge deal but worth noting.

***I know I still owe you all a write-up from my visit over to Clear Creek to see 2020 OT, Chad Lindberg. I’ll get those thoughts up later. But I did want to pass along that Lindberg told me he plans on visiting Texas for the Iowa State game as well.

This will be the first game he has attended at DKR.

***The father of elite 2020 DB, Jaylon Jones (Steele) tells me that they will make the trip up to Austin this weekend for an unofficial visit to the Texas vs. West Virginia game.

17 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Demas visiting this weekend.  Think he's been to every home game (maybe not Baylor) and definately visited more than aggy.

I know a lot of posters have gotten tired of his antics and now want to move on, but I really hope he commits to the good guys.  He's a definite game changer along with Evans. Those are the type of difference makers (along with Parr) that will put Texas into the mix of the BIG 12 championship and CFP spot.

3 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I know a lot of posters have gotten tired of his antics and now want to move on, but I really hope he commits to the good guys.  He's a definite game changer along with Evans. Those are the type of difference makers (along with Parr) that will put Texas into the mix of the BIG 12 championship and CFP spot.

His home life/family support structure is supposed to be abysmal. Just getting his grades in order and getting through college would be an enormous achievement. Really do hope for the best for the kid.

Edited by texifornia

21 minutes ago, texifornia said:

His home life/family support structure is supposed to be abysmal. Just getting his grades in order and getting through college would be an enormous achievement. Really do hope for the best for the kid.

Yep, this is a major selling point for aggy. He does not have to be part of the student body if he does not want to, just keep your dick in your pants when the tutor is taking your tests.

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Thoughts on a potential DL haul of Dorbah, Broughton, Collins, and Umanmielen?

Collins and Broughton make the DL class great on their own. Collins might challenge Demas as the second best prospect in the class; not only does he have great size and athleticism, but he's also productive in regards to sacks/ftl. I'd like to land Sylvester over Umanmielen, but it's unclear how that recruitment is going 

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/11/open-post-weekend-november-2nd-4th/

Three More Recruits Visiting This Weekend
– Andrew King

I had a quick conversation with Rishard Whitfield, aka “Footwork King”, last night. He let me know that he’ll be down in Austin this weekend and will be bringing three recruits with him.

The biggest name of the group is North Forest (TX) ‘20 5-Star Texas A&M wide receiver commit Demond Demas. He’s currently committed to the Aggies but we’ve stated numerous times that this will be a battle all the way until signing day.

A recruit to keep an eye on down the road that will be in Austin this weekend as well is Willowridge (TX) ‘21 wide receiver Latrell Neville. He holds early offers from Houston and Kansas.

The third recruit is Tomball (TX) ‘20 wide receiver Logan Kyle. He holds offers from Syracuse, Kansas, and Tulsa so far.

Texas After Another St. Louis Native by way of Georgia
– Super K

Recently, Texas offer 2020 GA WR, Ryan King (Grayson).

Although King lives in Georgia, he is originally form St. Louis which is noteworthy because a) he doesn’t have the ties to the University of Georgia and b) Texas is batting a pretty good percentage right now with St. Louis targets.

I saw King earlier this season at a game in Georgia and man, he is a big 16 year old. Probably around 6’3 or so and extremely muscular with a great length and width in his shoulders. Very powerfully built and a physical runner. But despite that, he isn’t stiff. He actually reminds me of a bigger version of Elijah Higgins.

I’ll catch up with King later but did speak to someone close to him that said you can pretty much guarantee that he and his family will make it out on a visit.

Texas already has one Grayson prospect in the boat with Kenyatta Watson. If you’re going to build a pipeline into Georgia, you can’t get much better than Grayson.

WVU visitors list from IT

QB Hudson Card, Lake Travis (TEXAS): The 2020 signal-caller in UT's next cycle, Card doesn't miss an opportunity to check out his future squad. Especially against a good WVU team.

DL Alfred Collins, Bastrop Cedar Creek: The ideal fit in Orlando's d-line schemes, Collins has been a regular at Texas games this fall. I anticipate he'll see more of Austin over the next 18 months. The Horns have positioned themselves quite nicely for the interior defender.

RB Seth McGowan, Mesquite Poteet: About as good of an athlete as you'll find at the position with good size and explosiveness. He isn't the most natural running back, but his sheer composite of size and burst make him uncommon. We could see a holdover gift from Malikmas yet. Stanford is in it, but Texas looks decent so far. He tripped to the ATX for Junior Day back in February and will likely return after this weekend. The key in this recruitment will be his relationship with Stan Drayton. Academics are a priority for McGowan. He was #1 in his class after his freshman year but football obligations kept him from taking a couple of classes that would have kept him in the running for valedictorian. Kid has a Jordan Whittington build and a Myron Rolle brain.

ATH Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage: They might as well just give Keaontay Ingram's younger, but just as big brother a locker. Here's some Hudl if they need some highlights for his locker TV.

DL Princely Umanmielen, Manor (Manor, TX): The 6-foot-4, 240-pound defensive end is a prospect you should be used to by now. He has early offers - OU, Arkansas, TCU, Arizona and UT - but the hometown team might hold the early advantage. Texas is going to have to wisely navigate numbers at the position. There are some really good options in the cycle.

LB Brennon Scott, Bishop Dunne: At 6-foot-2, 220, finding inside linebackers that can cover is a must in the Big 12. Scott could fill that role. Holding almost 20 offers - Florida, Colorado, Texas A&M - Scott could be in line for an invitation from UT. It's a typically down cycle at the position but Scott looks like an offer in a good cycle if his size checks out.

DB Jaylon Jones, Cibolo Steele: The long, Holton Hill-type defensive back has all the tools to excel at the next level. Texas and Florida have the early advantage, but UT has an ace in the hole and he prowls the Texas secondary on Saturdays - former teammate Caden Sterns.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Machinator said:

WVU visitors list from IT

Hide contents

QB Hudson Card, Lake Travis (TEXAS): The 2020 signal-caller in UT's next cycle, Card doesn't miss an opportunity to check out his future squad. Especially against a good WVU team.

DL Alfred Collins, Bastrop Cedar Creek: The ideal fit in Orlando's d-line schemes, Collins has been a regular at Texas games this fall. I anticipate he'll see more of Austin over the next 18 months. The Horns have positioned themselves quite nicely for the interior defender.

RB Seth McGowan, Mesquite Poteet: About as good of an athlete as you'll find at the position with good size and explosiveness. He isn't the most natural running back, but his sheer composite of size and burst make him uncommon. We could see a holdover gift from Malikmas yet. Stanford is in it, but Texas looks decent so far. He tripped to the ATX for Junior Day back in February and will likely return after this weekend. The key in this recruitment will be his relationship with Stan Drayton. Academics are a priority for McGowan. He was #1 in his class after his freshman year but football obligations kept him from taking a couple of classes that would have kept him in the running for valedictorian. Kid has a Jordan Whittington build and a Myron Rolle brain.

ATH Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage: They might as well just give Keaontay Ingram's younger, but just as big brother a locker. Here's some Hudl if they need some highlights for his locker TV.

DL Princely Umanmielen, Manor (Manor, TX): The 6-foot-4, 240-pound defensive end is a prospect you should be used to by now. He has early offers - OU, Arkansas, TCU, Arizona and UT - but the hometown team might hold the early advantage. Texas is going to have to wisely navigate numbers at the position. There are some really good options in the cycle.

LB Brennon Scott, Bishop Dunne: At 6-foot-2, 220, finding inside linebackers that can cover is a must in the Big 12. Scott could fill that role. Holding almost 20 offers - Florida, Colorado, Texas A&M - Scott could be in line for an invitation from UT. It's a typically down cycle at the position but Scott looks like an offer in a good cycle if his size checks out.

DB Jaylon Jones, Cibolo Steele: The long, Holton Hill-type defensive back has all the tools to excel at the next level. Texas and Florida have the early advantage, but UT has an ace in the hole and he prowls the Texas secondary on Saturdays - former teammate Caden Sterns.

Hah, Myron Rolle played against my high school when I was there. Absolute beast, and a classy guy to boot. Glad people still remember him.

Edited by texifornia

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Ty Jordan

oh. of course. how silly of me not to get Ty Jordan out of that.

guess another life skill they need to teach in high school is marketing. like if you are gonna be in the public eye, maybe you ought to have a twitter handle people can actually associate with your name. just spitballing here. but it sounds like a solid concept. 

• Fuck You 1