Texas O-line talk

Coach pop a bitch

On 9/19/2024 at 7:28 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

Bobby Burton -- I’m a Cam Williams fan.  Daniel Jeremiah, ESPN NFL draft analyst, talked about Williams yesterday.  It’s nice, yet unsurprising, that Williams is starting to turn heads. We talked about that possibility a lot heading into the season. Despite several false start penalties early this year, Williams has otherwise been dominant.

But what I want to share this morning about Williams is a story I don’t think I’ve ever told publicly.

I was not there for this, but a good friend of mine was. So here goes…

As a member of the Pancake Factory in its inaugural year, Williams and his fellow offensive linemen went to the Dell Children’s Hospital in Austin as part of their service work in just the second month of the Texas One Fund-sponsored program.

Williams was one of the players who really took a shine to several kids. And they took a shine to him. You know how it goes, some guys are just naturals in those situations.

Williams was this gentle giant who was also very nice and playful with them, handing out teddy bears and just hanging out.

One of the kids also liked Williams’ brand new silver or gold chain. The kid played with it and played with it.

Without the kid asking and just before leaving, Williams took the chain off his own neck and gave it to the young patient.

Now, I don’t want to go over the top here, but Cam did not grow up with an inordinate amount of money.

He showed something that day, a selflessness, generosity and kindness, that goes much deeper than what he does on a football field ever will.

And for that reason, more than anything he ever accomplishes in sport, I’ll always be a Cam Williams fan.

Great post.  May be somewhere on this thread, or mentioned on an OTF video/NFL Draft video -- some scouts have mentioned Cam has a chance to move up and possibly get selected before Banks. 

Some NFL scouts love Cam's size, talent and high ceiling...

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Haha 1

Found it... Thanks for this @Fud 

"Cameron Williams, RT, Texas
For those who watched Texas’ win at Michigan, you might know Williams as the right tackle who kept getting penalized (four flags in that game). The Michigan game was Williams’ third career start, and his first on the road, so youthful mistakes were expected. But the main takeaways from his overall film are his smooth movement skills and powerful grip strength, especially for a player with his size (6-foot-5, 335 pounds) and length.
Williams was (hilariously) flagged for holding on this play, which negated a Quinn Ewers’ touchdown pass. Clearly, it was a clean rep for the right tackle and illustrated his ability to control the edge.
Though still raw, Williams is smooth and strong in his kick slide to protect the edge (only two pressures allowed this season), and his range is impressive when Texas asks him to get out in space. Most have Texas left tackle Kelvin Banks Jr. penciled-in as a first-rounder, but some scouts believe Williams’ raw traits ultimately could make him the higher draft pick."  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Found it... Thanks for this @Fud 

"Cameron Williams, RT, Texas
For those who watched Texas’ win at Michigan, you might know Williams as the right tackle who kept getting penalized (four flags in that game). The Michigan game was Williams’ third career start, and his first on the road, so youthful mistakes were expected. But the main takeaways from his overall film are his smooth movement skills and powerful grip strength, especially for a player with his size (6-foot-5, 335 pounds) and length.
Williams was (hilariously) flagged for holding on this play, which negated a Quinn Ewers’ touchdown pass. Clearly, it was a clean rep for the right tackle and illustrated his ability to control the edge.
Though still raw, Williams is smooth and strong in his kick slide to protect the edge (only two pressures allowed this season), and his range is impressive when Texas asks him to get out in space. Most have Texas left tackle Kelvin Banks Jr. penciled-in as a first-rounder, but some scouts believe Williams’ raw traits ultimately could make him the higher draft pick."  

silicon-valley-erlich-bachman.gif.38e3bebb6f65ab1a12a7cda3276db129.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

I've been trying to explain football on these boards for a long time...

When we talk about failures of past teams to utilize talent, it could ALWAYS correlated with the lack of high level OL and DL players. 

Getting seven win Steve and NIL at the same time was magic fortune. It should have taken a few more years to have the types of OL/DL success we've had.

You get good OL, you can recruit great QBs and RBs. You recruit great QBs, you can recruit great WRs. Offense usually gets stacked based on OL. 

This is where Mack failed. He had it going, then he totally botched the focus on OL recruiting.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Atticus said:

DJ can play really well at times, but he just had a bad day yesterday. It's good to have another option when he's not getting it done.

DJ has had a few bad games this year. Weirdly, he is a better pass blocker now and a worse run blocker. It’s bizarre. And he cannot stop taking bad penalties. There needs to be competition at RG. 

3 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Heres how it looked on TV.....i love how you can see Coach Sark immediately come into the screen hot just laying into the refs......he was pissed.

Yeah you can hear Sarkisian come in with the Fuck You to the officials on the field mic.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/5/2024 at 8:48 AM, LTtxfan said:

Great post.  May be somewhere on this thread, or mentioned on an OTF video/NFL Draft video -- some scouts have mentioned Cam has a chance to move up and possibly get selected before Banks. 

Some NFL scouts love Cam's size, talent and high ceiling...

Not happening. Cam may very well go in the first round, but he's but not passing Banks. Not a chance in hell. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Heres how it looked on TV.....i love how you can see Coach Sark immediately come into the screen hot just laying into the refs......he was pissed.

Good to see Conner take on the role of protector/enforcer and to see the other O-linemen back HIM up.

This is how it should be done. Zebras did the right thing with offsetting fouls, too, although they could've gotten Ou for late hit/roughing if they were more observant. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

That’s one thing that I’ve enjoyed seeing from this bunch over the last couple of years. They aren’t taking your shit.

Nothing makes me happier than seeing an OL take up for their QB.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

If refs don't call hits on QBs that are already sliding, they are begging for fights. No self-respecting OL is going to sit around and let guys take free shots at their QB. This was an officiating failure.

Might help to explain why after that we kept running real plays (including some nice trickeration) with our starting QB. Not ALL gas from our coaches, but more than I expected in what was already a convincing win. I loved it. 

18 minutes ago, troph said:

what's next year's line looking like? we lose 3 this year probably, right?

Seeming likely that we lose 4. Banks, Majors and Connor for sure, and Williams seems to be shooting up draft boards to round 1. 

Something like Goosby, Neto, Hutson, DJ, Baker. Possible Hutson takes a guard spot and Robertson or Cruz get center. Will be a good test of Flood’s talent evaluation and development. 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, troph said:

what's next year's line looking like? we lose 3 this year probably, right?

LT- Goosby

LG- Neto/Cole

C- Robertson/Cole/Cruz

RG- DJ Campbell

RT- Baker

Cole is going to start, but I wonder where. It will probably come down to where Robertson and Cruz are in the spring. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Goosby and Baker may end up being a great duo, but who will they even be competing against for those spots? Cojoe and Agbo (assuming they're still here)? I wouldn't be opposed to grabbing a tackle in the portal so there's least some competition with two unproven guys. We should be loaded on the interior.

Not saying the O-line wasn't bad tonight, but it's a lot harder on the line when you don't have a running game and are in pass pro all night long against ends with their ears pinned back.

Our RB unit is mediocre with Baxter gone. Blue can't make hay in the traditional ground game and Wisner isn't a great receiver. Everything falls on the passing game and when Ewers is as bad as he was tonight the result is a complete offensive shutdown. 

16 minutes ago, Knighthawk said:

Don’t pin that shit on the rb’s and Ewers.   That was a straight up ass kicking of the OL.   Cam Williams was the most visible of all getting his ass beat but the others had their moments as well.  

There's plenty of blame to go around. Sark sucked, Ewers sucked, the OL sucked. Basically, the whole offense sucked. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Not making excuses for ol as there were definitely plays where they just got manhandled. But I wonder how many of the pressures/sacks were caused by ewers not stepping up and/or guys going unaccounted for by design - ie jet sweep motion meant to freeze a DE - only to have that man ignore the eye candy. 

• Like 1