Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 4: Tripping Balls (Spoilers)

atomheartbevo

5 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

The multiverse is simply too confusing and not compelling when it seems there's no stakes. People have revisionist memories with the whole infinity saga. Not every movie was a banger that everyone says, Iron Man 2 and 3 were mostly forgettable, they made a hulk movie I guess, Thor didn't work until the 3rd movie, Ant Man 1 was a tonal mess, Avengers 2 was a letdown, no one liked Hawkeye or Black Widow at first and Civil War was just OK. RDJ, Brolin and Chris Evans made Endgame work

Sir, I kindly disagree.  

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, Parliament said:

Sir, I kindly disagree.  

Yup disagree with that bit and...

22 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

The multiverse is simply too confusing and not compelling when it seems there's no stakes. People have revisionist memories with the whole infinity saga. Not every movie was a banger that everyone says, Iron Man 2 and 3 were mostly forgettable, they made a hulk movie I guess, Thor didn't work until the 3rd movie, Ant Man 1 was a tonal mess, Avengers 2 was a letdown, no one liked Hawkeye or Black Widow at first and Civil War was just OK. RDJ, Brolin and Chris Evans made Endgame work

Ant Man 1 was widely enjoyed by many, and was a refreshingly different style of movie compared to most of the rest of the MCU.  They weren't really able to recapture that in 2 or 2 IMO, but the first one was extremely entertaining.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'll go ahead and say it, the Multiverse thing is stupid af. I can't even remember when it was first introduced, Spiderman maybe? At this point, I don't give a shit who's coming from where and especially don't care to try to map out how they relate to anything or each other. 

Basically the gist is none of anything matters because there are a gazillion different realities and there's going to be a war to save all the other gazillion realities that I don't give a fuck about.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...

On Disney’s fiscal second-quarter earnings call, Disney CEO Bob Iger told analysts that the company is finally moving away from “a vestige, basically a desire in the past to increase volume.

“I’ve been working hard with the studio to reduce output and focus more on quality, that’s particularly true with Marvel,” he added.

“We’re slowly going to decrease volume and go to probably about two TV series a year instead of what had become four, and reduce our film output from maybe four a year to two or at the maximum three,” Iger added. “And we’re working hard on what that path is, we’ve got a couple of good films in ’25 and then we’re heading to more Avengers, which we’re extremely excited about.” Avengers: The Kang Dynasty is listed for 2026.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/marvel-studios-cut-back-films-tv-shows-1235892364/

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Maybe go back to 1 every year that's really well written with good SFX. 

Go back to?  When did that ever occur?  I love the whole MCU. I like quite a few movies that everyone gripes about, but people remember or refer to pre Endgame with some very strongly tinted rose colored glasses. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

Go back to?  When did that ever occur?  I love the whole MCU. I like quite a few movies that everyone gripes about, but people remember or refer to pre Endgame with some very strongly tinted rose colored glasses. 

My kid and I are rewatching the MCU now and we're up to Ultron. Winter Soldier to Civil War was a pretty strong run. Hell, everything till Ant-Man and the Wasp was pretty solid. Ragnarok, Black Panther, Homecoming. The GI didn't seem as shitty back then. The SFX studios weren't overworked. The writing wasn't mediocre.

Most of the post-Endgame stuff isn't very rewatched except No Way Home and Guardians 3. Iger has the right idea with only have Deadpool 3 this year. Slow it down and make it quality. Stop with the needless Disney+ tie-ins. If you do have them, maybe have the writer of one show talk to the writer of the movie (WandaVision>>>Dr. Strange 2) so continuity makes sense. I'm hoping Falcon Cap can be good but I'm not optimstic. Thunderbolts seems like it will be MCU's Suicide Squad. Both directors don't exactly seem like thrilling choices. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, mdmost said:

My kid and I are rewatching the MCU now and we're up to Ultron. Winter Soldier to Civil War was a pretty strong run. Hell, everything till Ant-Man and the Wasp was pretty solid. Ragnarok, Black Panther, Homecoming. The GI didn't seem as shitty back then. The SFX studios weren't overworked. The writing wasn't mediocre.

Most of the post-Endgame stuff isn't very rewatched except No Way Home and Guardians 3. Iger has the right idea with only have Deadpool 3 this year. Slow it down and make it quality. Stop with the needless Disney+ tie-ins. If you do have them, maybe have the writer of one show talk to the writer of the movie (WandaVision>>>Dr. Strange 2) so continuity makes sense. I'm hoping Falcon Cap can be good but I'm not optimstic. Thunderbolts seems like it will be MCU's Suicide Squad. Both directors don't exactly seem like thrilling choices. 

After a good start with iron ma we got:

hulk > Im2 > thor > ca1, four of the lowest ranked MCU movies (all in the lower 1/3 rotten tomatoes). We’re lucky we got Avengers. Personally I enjoy all but hulk. That streak was broke. Up by Avengers but promptly followed up by IM3 and Thor 2. That’s a pretty rough stretch, and I’d take Eternals, multiverse, or Rings over either any day. 

Agree winter soldier to IW was great and unmatched. 

I also just disagree with how the post Endgame movies are viewed. I loved BW, and very much enjoy Rings, multiverse, and Spider-Man. I also enjoyed most of the tv shows. 

Edited by UT_OB1

And on a rewatch I will say Hulk is terrible, Iron Man 2 is not as good but not awful since Tony is still a great character and you get War Machine. I never minded Thor. It did its job of enlarging the universe. I'll fight anyone on Captain America. It was a perfect period piece/propaganda flick. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

And on a rewatch I will say Hulk is terrible, Iron Man 2 is not as good but not awful since Tony is still a great character and you get War Machine. I never minded Thor. It did its job of enlarging the universe. I'll fight anyone on Captain America. It was a perfect period piece/propaganda flick. 

9 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

hulk > Im2 > thor > ca1

I think all of those have their merits, and yeah, Captain America was pretty terrific and played great in the theater.  

Hulk was an attempt to do something different and it’s failure is probably part of why they’ve been willing to change up the character movie to movie (and to an extent, doing that also freed them up to do it with Thor).  

Weirdly enough, my kids seem to really like Iron Man 2 over the other two.  

26 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I agree with you 100% on those. I will say I didn’t leave CA theaters as excited as when I went in. I honestly was a bit disappointed. I don’t know if the character grew on me in Avengers or WS, I don’t know if the actor grew on me, I don’t know if I just needed to see first avenger a few more tomes, but sometime by Av2 and ever since, he’s become my favorite character and I really enjoy that movie now. 

Posted (edited)

I was massively disappointed when Chris Evans was announced as Captain America. I saw him through the lens of the awful Fantastic Four movie he was in. I'm so glad I was wrong because Cap was my favorite MCU character. He blew me away from the get go. Winter Soldier is also my #1 MCU movie. 

Speaking of Winter Soldier, I saw this online about Falcon Cap. Looks very much like Steve's uniform from Winter Soldier.

sam-wilson-captain-america-s-new-costume

Edited by mdmost

Posted (edited)

Interesting since there were rumors that Giancarlo Esposito had been cast in the FF movie in a mystery role. The thought was he was voicing Galactus. But maybe he's Doom. John Malkovich has been cast as well. Maybe he'll play Mole Man. He's probably the voice of H.E.R.B.I.E. 

Mole_man.jpg

Edited by mdmost

I like that they will be running it over Halloween. I like that they trolled/generated buzz by releasing multiple title in the run-up to this.

I also really like that Aubrey Plaza is in the cast.

These bits were dropped today as well:

•  Ironheart will debut in 2025.  "Dominique Thorne and Anthony Ramos star in Ironheart, which follows the young tech genius who debuted in Black Panther: Wakanda Forever"

• Daredevil Born Again will debut in March 2025.  Charlie Cox, Vincent D’Onofrio, and Jon Bernthal return for Daredevil Born Again, and The Punisher will be making his "official" MCU debut.

I can't believe this shit is still ongoing. It's going on 20 years of continuous output. There are people drinking in bars at this moment who never knew of life without constant superhero movie bombardment. 

I was into it at first quite a bit but damn it's time to give it a break. I'd shelve all the live action blockbuster movies and focus on animation. Loved the Spiderverse movies and can't wait for the 3rd one, and those actually feel fresh. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm chuckling at how clueless and kneejerky people can be with this Agatha show title. People actually thought Marvel couldn't decide on the show name and not that this is directly a sendup of what happened in WandaVision with Agatha in the different TV eras. 

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I'm chuckling at how clueless and kneejerky people can be with this Agatha show title. People actually thought Marvel couldn't decide on the show name and not that this is directly a sendup of what happened in WandaVision with Agatha in the different TV eras. 

I just wan a full episode of this version of Agatha, because 1980s me would have been…intrigued and literally retiring to my bunk bed.

tmp_vtdas2_e5ba0609d2a9016f_Screen_Shot_

12 hours ago, Hermanator said:

I can't believe this shit is still ongoing. It's going on 20 years of continuous output.

Sherlock Holmes, Godzilla, James Bond, Planet of the Apes, Star Wars, Star Trek, Rocky/Creed, Batman, Halloween, Friday the 13th, Indiana Jones, Mission Impossible, and even Fast & Furious are all amused by just 20 years of output.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Sherlock Holmes, Godzilla, James Bond, Planet of the Apes, Star Wars, Star Trek, Rocky/Creed, Batman, Halloween, Friday the 13th, Indiana Jones, Mission Impossible, and even Fast & Furious are all amused by just 20 years of output.

Those are a single franchise that throws out something every few years on average. 

This has been almost 20 years of 3 or 4+ per year bombardment of almost all garbage with a gem mixed in here and there. The fatigue is immense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Supposedly Hawkeye is getting a 2nd season. I enjoyed the first but it sure seems like he had hung up the bow at the end.

I would assume it's fully Kate assembling her young NY avengers group.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

So this doesn't seem good. I know reshoots happen but 22 days and a new villain seems like a lot. Also, why is it so difficult to write a story for Blade? He's a half human/half vampire that hunts other vampires. It's not that difficult of a concept. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/captain-america-brave-new-world-reshoots-1235912919/

Edited by mdmost

Posted (edited)

Yeah but the other movies that they reference were not great like Dr Strange 2. I'm hoping it just stays grounded. Captain America doesn't need to be an off-world character with things like Kang variants. I guess I'm just skeptical about Anthony Mackie carrying a movie. I also would be more hopeful if the writer and director were better. The Falcon and Bucky show started out well and just kinda fell flat. Maybe that was due to having to abandon the vaccine angle because of Covid. I guess I'm thinking this feels like it's going to be a movie that should've been on Disney+, kinda like the Marvels. 

I am interested in who Giancarlo Esposito is playing. He indicated his character would have his own series. 

I'm also wondering if the reshoots have to do with the Sabra character. Feels like that's a landmine right now. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Rage+1 1

40 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I'm also wondering if the reshoots have to do with the Sabra character. Feels like that's a landmine right now. 

*spit take* ho lee fuk. I avoid most spoilers so didn’t know she was in it. L o fucking L. Talk about bad luck as far as timing goes for the storyline. Sam version of Cap may be cursed between vaccine plot line and this. Watch out if the next sequel involves nuclear Armageddon. 

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, UT_OB1 said:

*spit take* ho lee fuk. I avoid most spoilers so didn’t know she was in it. L o fucking L. Talk about bad luck as far as timing goes for the storyline. Sam version of Cap may be cursed between vaccine plot line and this. Watch out if the next sequel involves nuclear Armageddon. 

Or a president wanting to stay in office past his term? It's kind of a shame that the MCU hasn't introduced this Earth's version of Norman Osborn. Though that might be who Giancarlo is playing? I'm not up on the comics now a days but I believe Norman Osborn is President at some point. 

Didn’t warrant its own thread. 

I think it is though, right? I know the rights are super messy, but Venom was in the post credits of No Way Home. I know Spider-Man has its own rights mess, but he has been part of the McU. Also, the YouTube link literally has Marvel in the top corner.
  • Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, mdmost said:

So either this means Deadpool and Wolverine hit it out of the park or he got in really good with Feige. Remember the Russo brothers got Infinity War and Endgame based on the strength of Winter Soldier and Civil War. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/marvel-eyes-shawn-levy-to-direct-next-avengers-movie-1235913871/

Interesting choice-we probably won’t find this out for years but I wonder who else they’ve talked to.  I figured they’d first offer it to Jon Watts or maybe Lord and Miller.

18 hours ago, LCHorn said:

Interesting choice-we probably won’t find this out for years but I wonder who else they’ve talked to.  I figured they’d first offer it to Jon Watts or maybe Lord and Miller.

Supposedly, Marvel is talking to other directors but gave Levy a chance to accept first. Watts might honestly be tired of doing superhero movies. Wasn't he the original FF choice and dropped out?

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Wasn't he the original FF choice and dropped out?

The trades reported that, but I wonder, too, if FF wasn’t far enough along conceptually (Marvel is somewhat notorious in trying to develop multiple scripts at the same time) and wanted to have his calendar free for pretty much anything else more ready to lens.

• 4 weeks later...

There's too much money wrapped up into it now to put it on Disney+. Look, I like Sam but there was no way Anthony Mackie is going to carry a franchise like Captain America. He is a supporting character. But it shouldn't be this hard to find a good story for him and stick with it. 

14 minutes ago, mdmost said:

But it shouldn't be this hard to find a good story for him and stick with it. 

They could have easily done a $100 million movie around Sam’s version.  They don’t need an Infinity War-level movie or Cosmic Doctor Strange extravaganza or a Civil War loaded with expensive effects.  It should not be this hard at all to do a more personal/small-scale movie.  

On 6/4/2024 at 5:56 PM, mdmost said:

So either this means Deadpool and Wolverine hit it out of the park or he got in really good with Feige. Remember the Russo brothers got Infinity War and Endgame based on the strength of Winter Soldier and Civil War. 

Deadpool/Wolverine looks like it might hit it out of the park.

Who would have thought Deadpool would be the one to bring the MCU back out of the grave.

9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Deadpool/Wolverine looks like it might hit it out of the park.

Who would have thought Deadpool would be the one to bring the MCU back out of the grave.

Unfortunately that won’t resurrect the lost momentum towards a future Avengers.  

$375m-$400m for Anthony Mackie Captain is bananas.  That said, maybe it’s a sign they really like the movie if they are willing to make a bet that big.