Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 4: Tripping Balls (Spoilers)

atomheartbevo

41 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Unfortunately that won’t resurrect the lost momentum towards a future Avengers.  

$375m-$400m for Anthony Mackie Captain is bananas.  That said, maybe it’s a sign they really like the movie if they are willing to make a bet that big.

oh yeah, Disney has a great track record of throwing shit tons of money at "good" shows

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yeah, in this regard, $400m for an Earth grounded Captain America movie means something has gone really wrong with the script and shooting schedule. It's hard to have faith in Marvel and Disney right now. I'm not even sure Covid had any hand in this production like some of the other ones where the budgets blew up due to delays.

Supposedly, the Russo brothers wanted to write and direct the next Avengers movie and Marvel told them no thanks. I really hope Fantastic Four is good because the bench is getting lighter and lighter. 

Edited by mdmost

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Supposedly, the Russo brothers wanted to write and direct the next Avengers movie and Marvel told them no thanks.

There’s nothing about The Gray Man and Citadel that would support returning to the Russos.  Like Marvel in general they appear to mostly interested in spending tons of money on production budgets.  

On 6/29/2024 at 9:37 AM, LCHorn said:

There’s nothing about The Gray Man and Citadel that would support returning to the Russos.  Like Marvel in general they appear to mostly interested in spending tons of money on production budgets.  

How about the excellent movies they've already done for Marvel?

1 hour ago, PilotsError said:

End Game was 2019; they've been in a creative rut for 5 years and had the good fortune to have gotten a lot of credit for keeping the plane in the air after Favreau got it in the sky.  I'm not saying they are terrible choices, they just wouldn't be my first pick to reignite interest. 

17 hours ago, PilotsError said:

Am I the only one who thought The Gray Man was awesome? 

Okay, I'll see myself out...

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I don't love the idea of RDJ coming back but it does plug a huge hole as he can just show up as Doom and end the Kang problem. I'd imagine after Oppenheimer, he probably enjoyed getting to play a villain and he doesn't shy away from Marvel. Plus, another couple of paydays for him. Does he come back as a Tony Stark that becomes Doom or is he Victor Von Doom who just happens to look like Tony Stark? 

FF being set in a retro-future 60s sounds great. I'd argue that's the only real time period that works for the FF. Like WandaVision, they can really play up the time period while introducing important Marvel characters like Silver Surfer and Galactus. I'd imagine there will be a Doom in it but not RDJ. The Secret Wars font looks like Iron Man colors so I'd imagine RDJ might also play a Tony variant. 

Edited by mdmost

34 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I don't love the idea of RDJ coming back but it does plug a huge hole as he can just show up as Doom and end the Kang problem. I'd imagine after Oppenheimer, he probably enjoyed getting to play a villain and he doesn't shy away from Marvel. Plus, another couple of paydays for him. Does he come back as a Tony Stark that becomes Doom or is he Victor Von Doom who just happens to look like Tony Stark? 

13 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I hope they don’t even reference Doom looking like Tony.

Comic book nerd friend said there are storylines/timelines where Tony and Doom are the same, but we may not even see Doom’s face.

They are bringing this character in as well, which could mean the Kree and/or Celestials make an appearance, don’t read if you want potential spoilers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shalla-Bal

Spoiler

She’s going to be in her Silver Surfer form, she was his lover or whatever, so I’m guessing we see some epic cosmic stuff.

I’ll say this about the storyline. For the average fan that’s not into all the comics which I say makes up 90% of the viewers, the storyline got confusing as fuck. In the original the movies told the stories and it was a simple follow and now there’s cartoons, Disney shows, movies introducing new characters and villains while also trying to possibly keep the past open and going to unlimited timelines and universes. And here we are and no one knows what the fuck is happening. Having a billion options is great for comic books but for the movies I’m not sure it works. Of course I’m 45 and like I said part of the majority of the audience that’s like “who’s this again?” When I watch the movies. The first phases in my opinion was a way easier follow for the casual fan to figure out.

• Hook 'Em 2

After Deadpool & Wolverine, me and my two nerd buddies who have seen these with me since the beginning we're talking about that. We agreed the real issue besides Endgame being about the best final act of the series is you then added the need to watch TV shows to be up on the storylines. That can make a movie not as easily accessible to a mass audience because you don't understand why things might be happening unless there's a good recap. But also some of these were just poorly written and/or had poorly done CGI. Shang Chi is a good example. We all really enjoyed it until the final portion with the CGI shitfest. Same with WandaVision. It was fantastic until the final episode with the CGI overload. Then you have movies like the Marvels where you don't know the characters unless you watched both Ms. Marvel and WandaVision. And frankly, the multiverse just isn't that appealing to people. 

My hope with Captain America is they will do a good job of laying out who some of the characters are really early like the new Falcon and Isaiah Bradley. Just dropping people into a world doesn't work if they don't get why they need to care about these people. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I mean why do you need another captain America? No different than having the next woman iron man or another version of Hawkeye and she hulk. Just carry some characters over and start a new phase of movies? This is the definition of over thinking and trying to hard. Maybe they’ll fix it but Robert Downey coming back as a new character is dumb af.

Chris Evans was done with Captain America. I doubt he returns for anything more than a cameo or gag. I don't mind Falcon Captain America. I think the movie will demonstrate why Ross says he wants to bring back to Captain America program to keep the nation safe. The issue with Falcon being Cap is more that he's not enhanced but I think the movie is already addressing that with new armor, wings, and a helmet. And Cap anointed him to carry the shield in Endgame because the world needs Captain America. 

Iron Heart and Kate Bishop are going to form the Young Avengers at some point. 

She-Hulk has been a character in the comics since 1979. They were always going to explore that character after Captain Marvel was successful. 

Yea again most people don’t read comics. They didn’t need to keep cap going and not write that into future stuff and they chose too. Could have let falcon be his own guy but whatever. The main issue is the timeline stuff and stories that no one can follow or just don’t have the time too. I have one comic book friend that knows everything and has read them all and he said the other day it’s getting confusing for the average fan and tiresome for him trying to explain everything to everyone haha.

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I mean why do you need another captain America? No different than having the next woman iron man or another version of Hawkeye and she hulk. Just carry some characters over and start a new phase of movies? This is the definition of over thinking and trying to hard. Maybe they’ll fix it but Robert Downey coming back as a new character is dumb af.

Cap was the moral compass of the Avengers, and with Evans wanting to be done, they needed somebody to fill that role, and they weren’t going to recast Steve Rogers.  When we were introduced to Falcon, he was a combat veteran who was helping other veterans, and later he was willing to sacrifice himself for the greater good (something that made Cap, Cap). Through the years we saw him as basically a non-enhanced Cap.

Thorough the comic iterations I read as a kid, there was always somebody functioning as a moral compass.  Usually Cap or Spidey.

I've skipped most of the TV series, I think, and really doubt I will be doing any catch-ups just to "get it" for a scene or character when any movies come out. I was also a big time comic book reader but that was what; 15-20 years ago? If it leaves me that clueless, nothing a summary on the Internets won't fix. I'm not watching Madame Web (yes, yes, I know it's Sony Pictures. I'm being facetious) just to understand something in some other movie......

See I did that for 10 years in the first phases and loved waiting till the end to get the next glimpse of what was coming. But it was mainly done only through the movies so made it easier to follow. Maybe that’s what it is honestly. After a decade of following and figuring things out and the unmatchable end game series I think most just kinda gassed out on a new group of characters to follow and figure out and follow a new storyline. Or maybe not who knows. 

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Cap was the moral compass of the Avengers, and with Evans wanting to be done, they needed somebody to fill that role, and they weren’t going to recast Steve Rogers.  When we were introduced to Falcon, he was a combat veteran who was helping other veterans, and later he was willing to sacrifice himself for the greater good (something that made Cap, Cap). Through the years we saw him as basically a non-enhanced Cap.

Thorough the comic iterations I read as a kid, there was always somebody functioning as a moral compass.  Usually Cap or Spidey.

Over/under on how many people won't go see it because Falcon was "a DEI hire"

• Haha 3
  • Fuck You 1

$80 million for the Russo bros to come back, "significantly more" to get RDJ onboard. So far its worked people are hypoed again, and if audiences have proven anything its that they don't want anything new just give them the same people again and again

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/robert-downey-jr-doctor-doom-avengers-pay-salary-russo-brothers-1236089512/

There is a point where you need to take a risk to find the next set of favorites that will allow you to have those sequels and prequels that people seem to only show up for now. I'd argue taking a risk on a talking racoon, a talking tree, a former wrestler, and a funny guy from Parks and Rec showed Marvel what could be done if they could find the right characters and writers. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, mdmost said:

There is a point where you need to take a risk to find the next set of favorites that will allow you to have those sequels and prequels that people seem to only show up for now. I'd argue taking a risk on a talking racoon, a talking tree, a former wrestler, and a funny guy from Parks and Rec showed Marvel what could be done if they could find the right characters and writers. 

That's the funny thing about movie goers, what worked 10 years ago won't necessarily work now.

Just now, Michael Knight said:

That's the funny thing about movie goers, what worked 10 years ago won't necessarily work now.

True. And Marvel will go to the well too many times (Thor 4) and people will reject that too. My best hope for something original is Fantastic Four just simply because they have never been done in a way that more aligns with their original characters. I love the idea of it being set in a retrofuture 1960s in the Space race age. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice. Daredevil: Born Again is coming out next March.  They showed a teaser at D23 with Charlie Cox, Jon Bernthal, Deborah Ann Woll, Elden Henson, and Vincent D'Onofrio.

Spoilers.

Spoiler

The trailer opened with Matt Murdock (Charlie Cox) talking to a man in jail. The man is telling him how bad the city has become, that there’s a call for someone who can protect people. A need for a hero. As he’s saying this, we see shots of graffiti, crimes being committed, and a particularly shady-looking situation in a subway. There, a fight erupts.

Foggy (Elden Henson) tells Matt the system is against him. It’s like David vs. Goliath. We see Matt in some kind of old ratty building, and he is shoved into the wall by a bearded Frank Castle (Jon Bernthal). Matt asks if he can put the hatchet down and we see he’s holding a small hatchet in his hands.

Shots of Kingpin from behind, looking foreboding in different situations as the words “The devil’s work… is never done” come on screen. We see a brief shot of five different Daredevil masks as well as shots of some other masked characters. Eventually, it leads to Kingpin and Matt sitting opposite each other in a diner.

It’s a tense situation and Matt says “If you step out of line, I’m going to be there.” Kingpin retorts, “Who is this coming from? Matt or your darker half?” and he starts to laugh. Matt smiles and we see shots of him as Daredevil, snapping and cracking bad guys. He uses his signature billy club to whip a guy, and smashes another in the face over and over. Finally, a pair of red, broken glasses lie on the ground and someone asks “What kind of lawyer are you?” Matt replies, “A really good one.”

quantum leap body GIF

I'm going to disagree because I think the time frame they set the story in is exactly where they need to exist. The FF makes less sense in today's world and that's part of why previous films haven't been good. But you set it in a time and an Earth that can really geek up the movie and it will be great. The director made fairly authentic depictions of each time frame of WandaVision. I have faith based on the footage I've seen so far.

• Hook 'Em 1

The ending with the giant head was pretty cool. That's about it. It gave a sense of what they could do with Galactus. 

Fairly humorous that things introduced in that movie will probably never see the light of day like Blade and Black Knight. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...