Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 4: Tripping Balls (Spoilers)

atomheartbevo

On 8/11/2024 at 8:12 AM, bernorange said:

I have no hope for a decent FF film treatment.  I just don't think those characters (especially stretchy man) translate well to film.  

I don't know. Seemed to work very well when they called it The Incredibles

• Drool 1

17 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Fight scenes are going to be incredible.

spidey.thumb.jpg.de7b8cf98b7a87e7a273cdf35e3555c5.jpg

Just try to keep it grounded. The first half of Shang Chi was really good. When it went into CGI land, it wasn't as good. Yes, fight scenes should be great. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Just try to keep it grounded. The first half of Shang Chi was really good. When it went into CGI land, it wasn't as good. Yes, fight scenes should be great. 

Hot take-the best part of Shang Chi was Simu and Awkwafina being stupid at the beginning.  

Everything after grew more and more untethered from the real world, which deprived the climax from there being any real stakes.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Hot take-the best part of Shang Chi was Simu and Awkwafina being stupid at the beginning.  

Everything after grew more and more untethered from the real world, which deprived the climax from there being any real stakes.  

It suffers from what many MCU movies do which is everyone becomes an instant expert at everything and has a CGI shitfest final battle. The bus fight and the attempted escape from the fight club were both really well done. 

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

It suffers from what many MCU movies do which is everyone becomes an instant expert at everything and has a CGI shitfest final battle. The bus fight and the attempted escape from the fight club were both really well done. 

I actually was thinking about both of those scenes when I trying to articulate what didn’t work.  I see what they were trying to do-those are the bridge to the fantastical elements in the third act. I think there’s something about the way they were shot, particularly the fight club, that was too just too much.  

Maybe it’s over saturation of colors, maybe it’s CGI, I just know it didn’t work for me.  It’s like two different movies between the first half and the second.  If I was script doctoring I’d say “start with a scene that shows off the fantastical elements so that the audience is prepared for it later.”, which obviously they did and it still doesn’t work for me.  

Yes, the CGI was really off. The scene where Tony Leung finds the bamboo forest was terrible. A lot of the CGI creatures were bad. The CGI for the rings was really good. It was just really inconsistent. The bus fight was so damn good though. It's funny, my oldest and I have been rewatching all the MCU movies. It's our Friday night routine. We're now onto post-Endgame and we watched Shang Chi 2 weeks ago. She was tired from a long day of school and so we stopped it at the point where they had escaped the bad guy's lair and made it to the start of the forest. When we picked it up, I was kinda feeling like it would be a slog since I knew what awaited us. It was okay but just not as good as the first half. 

Supposedly, Spidey 4 will be an Earth grounded story with multiverse elements. Basically what No Way Home was. The problem is Spiderman is running out of villains since Sony keeps wasting them on stupid Sony movies. Now let's announce Sydney Sweeney as Black Cat. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Drool 1