Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, and Other Good Stuff

Seasick Sailor

9 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Not as big a fan of his these days but opening with King of Oklahoma. such a great song 

I honestly think it's his masterpiece.  Between the details of the story and the absolutely soaring "belt it out at the top of your lungs" chorus melody, it's just a stunning piece of art in a career that's casually littered with them.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Stapleton is on the Petty Country Tribute album.   He does an obscure song off of Mojo called "I Should Have Known It".  Pretty much note for note cover.  Rest of the album highlights:  Dolly doing Southern Accent, Margo Price doing "Ways To Be Wicked" with Mike Campbell and George Straight on a live version of "You Wreck Me"  with Mike Campbell.   Joe Manuel's acoustic solo on that thing is fantastic.    Whoever does "Wildflowers" does a decent job.   

I enjoy Margo's music a lot, but find her to be kind of pretentious.  There's something that annoys me about how she calls quitting drinking the bravest thing she's ever done, but she's almost constantly posting on social media about getting stoned and taking shrooms.  I think sobriety is brave as hell, but she's not even close to sober.  I mean, it's definitely healthier physically, and that's cool for her, but attaching the word "brave" to it annoys me.  The folks out there white knuckling through the shit show that is modern reality are brave.  Putting yourself into that camp because you swapped a vice for a less unhealthy vice comes off kinda like stolen valor.

But I'm just a guy pontificating on the internet, and she's absolutely a certified badass musician.

• Hook 'Em 3

Holy shit, I don't think I ever knew that Petty and Campbell wrote "Ways To Be Wicked".

Fun fact:  google it.  It takes forever to find the Lone Justice version.  The first dozen hits are so are some dumb tweener Disney act "singing" something completely different, and it's terrible.  Come on, people.

Ear bleach to get that out of my head.  MMMMMMMMMaria:

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I enjoy Margo's music a lot, but find her to be kind of pretentious.  There's something that annoys me about how she calls quitting drinking the bravest thing she's ever done, but she's almost constantly posting on social media about getting stoned and taking shrooms.  I think sobriety is brave as hell, but she's not even close to sober.  I mean, it's definitely healthier physically, and that's cool for her, but attaching the word "brave" to it annoys me.  The folks out there white knuckling through the shit show that is modern reality are brave.  Putting yourself into that camp because you swapped a vice for a less unhealthy vice comes off kinda like stolen valor.

But I'm just a guy pontificating on the internet, and she's absolutely a certified badass musician.

I completely agree with every word posted, other than not really liking her music.   I've tried.

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Holy shit, I don't think I ever knew that Petty and Campbell wrote "Ways To Be Wicked".

Fun fact:  google it.  It takes forever to find the Lone Justice version.  The first dozen hits are so are some dumb tweener Disney act "singing" something completely different, and it's terrible.  Come on, people.

Such a great chorus.

3 hours ago, hullabelew said:

They wrote it for themselves. I think it was Jimmy Iovine knew of the song from his work with Petty. He was also working with Lone Justice when they first got signed. Petty didn't like the song and wasn't going to use it, so Iovine took it to LJ.

Basically the same story with "Boys of Summer".

42 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

I saw LJ open up for U2 in Houston for the Joshua Tree tour.   

Man that was a show.  (sort of off topic, I know)

I saw them on the "Shelter" tour.  Show was at the Fast and Cool Club in Dallas.  That second iteration of the band wasn't as country as the original.  Once Marvin Etzionni left the band, they really changed.  

On 6/27/2024 at 10:59 AM, hullabelew said:

I saw them on the "Shelter" tour.  Show was at the Fast and Cool Club in Dallas.  That second iteration of the band wasn't as country as the original.  Once Marvin Etzionni left the band, they really changed.  

Young Pescado would have murdered all of you for 5 minutes alone with Maria McKee. 

On 6/28/2024 at 8:05 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

This is fucking fantastic.  All the songs they've released ahead of this album have been fantastic.  These guys really know how to craft gigantic hooks.

Was this song commissioned by the oklahoma tourism and recreation department? Its message is much more appealing than the adventure road thing. Lulz.