Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, and Other Good Stuff

Seasick Sailor

On 7/12/2024 at 6:26 PM, Art Vandelay said:

Mint Tea and One for the Road. Goddamn.

All are great but those two are my favs for sure.

He knocked it out of the park with this one.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

New David Rawlings and Gillian Welch in August:

hope they add TX to their tour.  last time they played the paramount was absolutely amazing.

Edited by 4th&Five
  • Like 1

This is a pretty good read. In addition to Waylon and Willie, the last third of the book gets into Isbell, Stapleton, Sturgill, and Childers.
image.jpeg.5a5f716a1014b3e2c9c1e1cb4da4eaf1.jpeg

Did they really change country music or just create a new genre? I just ask because Morgan Wallen doesn’t seem changed much.

In the country music hall of fame museum in Nashville, unless they’ve changed it since I was there a while back, Willie had one little corner and it wasn’t a corner just for him, it was for all the “outlaws”. Doesn’t seem like the Nashville powers feel like he changed them much.

Just sayin.

Maybe I should read the book.

I haven't been to the HOF as you have @tbone_, but taking your word for it, that would be so on point for Gnashville.  Willie belongs on the Country Songwriter Mount Rushmore, and he's in a corner with the other "outlaws"?  Yikes.

Which suggests the question, who IS on the country songwriter Mount Rushmore?  Off the top of my head, I can think of Hank Williams (a lock), Dolly Parton, Willie Nelson, maybe Johnny Cash, Kris K, Guy Clark?  I'm missing a bunch, but we get 4 slots.  Who makes the list?

I haven't been to the HOF as you have [mention=2521]tbone_[/mention], but taking your word for it, that would be so on point for Gnashville.  Willie belongs on the Country Songwriter Mount Rushmore, and he's in a corner with the other "outlaws"?  Yikes.

100%. Completely disgusting and not surprising at the same time.

Hank Williams had a whole floor iirc.

58 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I haven't been to the HOF as you have @tbone_, but taking your word for it, that would be so on point for Gnashville.  Willie belongs on the Country Songwriter Mount Rushmore, and he's in a corner with the other "outlaws"?  Yikes.

Which suggests the question, who IS on the country songwriter Mount Rushmore?  Off the top of my head, I can think of Hank Williams (a lock), Dolly Parton, Willie Nelson, maybe Johnny Cash, Kris K, Guy Clark?  I'm missing a bunch, but we get 4 slots.  Who makes the list?

Cash? Seriously?  Did he write 10 good songs?   

25 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Did he write 10 good songs?   

Yes:

Big River

Don't Take Your Guns to Town

Five Feet High and Rising

Folsom Prison Blues

Get Rhythm

I Still Miss Someone

I Walk the Line

The Man Comes Around

Tennessee Flat Top Box

Understand Your Man

But I'm not sure he wrote 11 and I'm pretty sure he didn't write 15. 

Cash is one of those artists that is both great AND overrated.  He’s the stock favorite country artist of people who don’t like country, but he’s also the man.

My attempt at a country Mt Rushmore (as a big fan):

Hank

Possum

Hoss

Willie

On 7/4/2024 at 11:24 AM, Zwylde said:

Third single from the new Red Clay Strays.  Another banger.  All three singles are great but Devil in My Ear my favorite so far.  These boys have it.

Love these dudes. 

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

If you ask someone from Nashville they'd probably name four people we've never heard of who don't perform their music and you wouldn't recognize if you were standing in line next to them at a bar on Broadway. 

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

How does Dolly not make it?  She's probably #2 (at worst) to Hank in my mind.  Maybe her songs have had so much pop cover that she's not really recognized?

She’s almost beyond the scope of the argument IMO.  She’s an icon and a lot of that is due to things beyond and outside music.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Harlan “Three Chords and the Truth” Howard 

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Hook 'Em 2

Cindy Walker needs to be in the conversation if just considering song writers and not artist/performers.  More quality than Guy Clark.  

Cherokee Maiden, You Don't Know Me, Bubbles in my Beer, Dream Baby, Sugar Moon.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/19/2024 at 7:50 PM, ztejas said:

Posted in "new music" but the new Koe Wetzel album is really good and I'm guessing there's crossover appeal for the denizens of this thread if he doesn't quite fit in. 

Sounding good.  I figured he would get better as he gets older.   A lot of his earlier stuff was a little immature and hard to get into but he’s got talent for sure.

The Mount Rushmore of Country Music Songwriters would be tough. Hank's gotta be on there just because of who he is, historically, and what he put out in such a short period of time. Harlan Howard  is probably a lock. Willie is also probably a lock. Dean Dillon would be up for consideration. Dolly Parton as well. Bobby Braddock certainly has a case to make.

My Mount Rushmore would definitely include Townes, but I know that wouldn't be the case for the average country music fan. Cindy Walker had some hits that are in the cannon, but I don't think she did enough to make it to the top four. 

Then how do you take into consideration modern country "songwriters" where, much like modern pop, every song by a major artist has like 4 people that get a co-songwriting credit. Guys like Shane McAnally and Ashley Gorley are credited with more charting singles than anyone from a previous era. But how much credit do they deserve?

7 hours ago, irishtexan said:

The Mount Rushmore of Country Music Songwriters would be tough. Hank's gotta be on there just because of who he is, historically, and what he put out in such a short period of time. Harlan Howard  is probably a lock. Willie is also probably a lock. Dean Dillon would be up for consideration. Dolly Parton as well. Bobby Braddock certainly has a case to make.

My Mount Rushmore would definitely include Townes, but I know that wouldn't be the case for the average country music fan. Cindy Walker had some hits that are in the cannon, but I don't think she did enough to make it to the top four. 

Then how do you take into consideration modern country "songwriters" where, much like modern pop, every song by a major artist has like 4 people that get a co-songwriting credit. Guys like Shane McAnally and Ashley Gorley are credited with more charting singles than anyone from a previous era. But how much credit do they deserve?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Songs_written_by_Merle_Haggard

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I think it's the obvious choice.  

Kris' best are better than any of Merle's, but Merle's got a lot of really solid country classics.  And Kris' best is, for my money, better than anybody.  And yeah, that includes Willie.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

"Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down" says "hold my beer" (I had for breakfast).

that's my point.  "help me..." isn't his best, but it's better than anything anybody else has ever written.

• Hook 'Em 2

been listening to the new sturgill a lot. varies on which song i like the most...scooter blues was an early favorite but gets a little stale with repeat listens. the rest of the songs have been growers. swamp of sadness and jupiter's faerie are the only 2 i don't like at all. best album he's put out since sailor's guide. 

8 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I would agree others are growing on me more.  One For The Road is fantastic.

Glad I’m not the only one on One For The Road. Had that one on repeat a lot this week.

so much instrumentation to unpack on that one.

I can’t put my finger on what vibe I’m getting from the guitar sound on that one and starting to drive me crazy.

thought maybe late 80s/early 90s steve via/ joe satriani, but that’s not it.

maybe that’s the beauty of it: something that sounds so familiar, but mixed in to something that uniquely Sturgill, err, Johnny 

12 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Glad I’m not the only one on One For The Road. Had that one on repeat a lot this week.

so much instrumentation to unpack on that one.

I can’t put my finger on what vibe I’m getting from the guitar sound on that one and starting to drive me crazy.

thought maybe late 80s/early 90s steve via/ joe satriani, but that’s not it.

maybe that’s the beauty of it: something that sounds so familiar, but mixed in to something that uniquely Sturgill, err, Johnny 

Its an Allman Brothers or Marshall Tucker Band feel for me.

Love it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/27/2024 at 7:55 PM, Scraps said:

Isbells a trip....his intro....just walks on stage to the mic no one knows hes there. House music cuts...."hey im jason isbell and this is 400 unit we gonna play some songs"

6f168643f014c16f5a62172d583d5a55.jpg

I was there, opposite side of you.   Isbell fucked pretty hard.  Zach then came out and said it was embarrassing to follow Jason.

Edited by Pablo

2 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

I’m digging the new Orville/Margo duet.

like a 21st century sequel/update to how things are going between Conway /Loretta - You’re the reason our kids are ugly 

Listened to the whole album today. It's really all over the place. Some of it works, some of it doesn't. Agree that this track is a standout.

• Hook 'Em 1

hank and willie are half of the mt rushmore, and they are etched in stone (so to speak).  i'm not sure i'd put dolly up there, or cash or kris or waylon, or cindy walker.  of those, dolly would be the highest rated.  possibly george jones, but i'm thinking bob wills has to be third.  bill monroe or jimmie rodgers are fighting for fourth.   that leaves out so many good ones - lefty frizzell, ray price, merle, loretta lynn, tammy wynette, roy acuff, kitty wells, merle, etc.