Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, and Other Good Stuff

Seasick Sailor

3 hours ago, NOMAAA said:

Man that is a very diverse set.  Cool to see songs from Sound and Fury but man, A Good Look and Fastest Horse in town are arguably the worst two on the album.  Awesome to see I Dont Mind on there though.  I’ll pay price of admission for just that one.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 8/7/2024 at 9:41 PM, 4th&Five said:

Excellent find, thank you.  Him talking about voice as an instrument and then listening to him in that last song they played, wow.  Such a unique dude.  Oh and loved him talking about Laur, that was great.

Funny story:  me and a buddy went to see Sturgill and Isbell at the Ryman back in 2015 I think it was.  After the show we went to a club in East Nashville to hear some more music.  The band was kicking ass (remember them playing Amos Moses) and there are maybe 20 people in the whole place.  Middle of the set I notice some little dude just pull up a stool 10 feet or so from the stage and just chill with a beer and watching the band.  I turned to my buddy and say “I think that is Sturgill’s guitarist”.  He stayed for about 30 minutes or so and then casually headed out.  Later someone we were talking to said oh yeah, he comes in here all the time when he’s in town.  

• Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, Zwylde said:

Man that is a very diverse set.  Cool to see songs from Sound and Fury but man, A Good Look and Fastest Horse in town are arguably the worst two on the album.  Awesome to see I Dont Mind on there though.  I’ll pay price of admission for just that one.

Get the fuck outta here. Good look is a fucking jam. Keep those kind of bullshit opinions to yourself brother. 

11 hours ago, Zwylde said:

Get the fuck outta here. Good look is a fucking jam. Keep those kind of bullshit opinions to yourself brother. 

ok sorry. 25 year old me came out there for a bit. My bad. 

Outland Lands has a livestream this weekend on Amazon Prime
but doesn’t look like they have a schedule up for tomorrow (when Sturgill is performing, 10:10p Central ) so we’ll see.

But in the meantime, Kacey Musgraves joining Sabrina Carpenter right now and performing ‘These Boots Are Made For Walkin’ is nice on the eyes 

https://music.amazon.com/live/events/LTOX9RU6O0?musicTerritory=US&ref=dm_sh_X7qEXrMz5rXpIrqLYjmsAr7Q7

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

but doesn’t look like they have a schedule up for tomorrow (when Sturgill is performing, 10:10p Central ) so we’ll see.

But in the meantime, Kacey Musgraves joining Sabrina Carpenter right now and performing ‘These Boots Are Made For Walkin’ is nice on the eyes 

https://music.amazon.com/live/events/LTOX9RU6O0?musicTerritory=US&ref=dm_sh_X7qEXrMz5rXpIrqLYjmsAr7Q7

They are streaming Sturgill… but not until midnight (Central)

Edited by UTexasFight

On 8/10/2024 at 9:26 PM, UTexasFight said:

So fucking good. I DONT MIND!!

6 hours ago, NOMAAA said:

Dude is a headliner. What makes Zack Bryan so much more popular? Anyone that watches this show and a Zack Bryan show and can honestly tell me the latter is better can jump up their own ass. 

Intensely emotional songs that resonate specifically with older Gen Z kids.

I definitely prefer Sturgill, but I get his popularity.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Fuck what a set. can’t wait for ACL

Listened to it 6 or 7 times this week. It’s so good. 

also. The new rateliff album is so so good. Love hearing dazey on the sax. Fw guy doing good shit. 

Solid, but not great show in Austin. Although maybe a packed house/amphitheater in the stifling heat with absolutely no air flow skewed my judgement somewhat.

I counted at least 3 folks passed out /getting carried out.

I liked the twist at the end of Fox Hunt I hadn’t heard before. Slowed it down and turned up some dirty electric guitar.

Anyone see Stapleton at Minute Maid Saturday night?

I was there, my first time seeing him live.

He didn't really do anything I can't hear on a record or on YouTube though, so I thought mildly unimpressed by what I saw.

Now what I heard was different, his voice is still one of the best ever I've heard in this genre of music. 

He rocked some riffs on his many different guitars and he could still belt out a slow sad song all by himself acoustically.

Do I need to see him live again, probably not, but now I can say I saw him live.

12 hours ago, Pablo said:

Anyone see Stapleton at Minute Maid Saturday night?

I was there, my first time seeing him live.

He didn't really do anything I can't hear on a record or on YouTube though, so I thought mildly unimpressed by what I saw.

Now what I heard was different, his voice is still one of the best ever I've heard in this genre of music. 

He rocked some riffs on his many different guitars and he could still belt out a slow sad song all by himself acoustically.

Do I need to see him live again, probably not, but now I can say I saw him live.

Wife and I were there. We both had a good time, but also had a similar takeaway as you. We’ve seen him at the rodeo before and we both remarked that we liked him better in that environment with a little more condensed setlist.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2024 at 12:01 AM, Rip76 said:

Holy Shit.

On 8/15/2024 at 1:30 AM, Gil Bang said:

she fell face-first into a tackle box, and then tumbled through a Michaels?

On 8/15/2024 at 8:22 AM, gernblansten said:

spacer.png

when i read into her story a bit and saw that she spent a long time as basically a busking street person, her whole aesthetic kinda clicked

i am curious what the deal is with her tooth - how much of it is affectation and how much of it is... orthodontic

• Like 1

spotify just put DBT's cover of "Mama Bake a Pie" and Dress Blues back to back, and that's a whammy of a couple of songs.

but also this line is the kind of line that is just so perfect all by itself and one of the reasons Isbell is such a great songwriter  -

"American boys hate to lose"

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Celery Man said:

This guy finds his way into my algorithms. And it’s often this kinda silly thing that makes me want to roll my eyes and move on but then I don’t and it’s actually good. Prine-ish

I’ve been following him. Pretty bright guy imo

2 hours ago, bureaucrat said:

Good time last night with Charley Crockett at the Moody Amphitheater in Austin.

Opener Lee Fields was good also - would've liked to have seen more but the colossal line to get in prevented that. 

IMG_9489.png

Lee fields is f’ing excellent.