School Threatens to Bernard Poors Parents

RPM

Back in the stone age when I was in school meatloaf day was the best. It was consistently good and we'd make meatloaf & mashed potato sammiches. Dessert that day was always giant yeast rolls and honey. Damn, I could go for one of those right about now. I think full price was 35¢.

Edited by RPM

the school should have cut off the kid at a certain amount, say $20 unpaid outstanding balance.  the school will not provide lunches no matter what until debt is paid.  then the cycle starts again.

rewarding the parents' inaction only served to encourage said inaction.

i feel for the kids.  they have no say in any of this.  they just want to eat and be like other kids.

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

the school should have cut off the kid at a certain amount, say $20 unpaid outstanding balance.  the school will not provide lunches no matter what until debt is paid.  then the cycle starts again.

rewarding the parents' inaction only served to encourage said inaction.

i feel for the kids.  they have no say in any of this.  they just want to eat and be like other kids.

Exactly, the kids have no say in it, so why punish them? The free and reduced threshold is pretty low, and there is bureaucracy involved and many qualifying families don't fill out the paperwork, so there are plenty of truly poor families who are not on free and reduced lunch. But worst case scenario, dead beat parents who just don't give a shit, why would you punish the kid by giving them cheese sandwiches, or in your scenario, literally letting them starve? Anything that tips off other kids that your parents are poor or deadbeat just opens them up to bullying. Why is recourse here supposed to be different than any other debt? Demand payment from the parent, and if they don't pay, take them to court or hand them over to a collection agency. People default on debt all the time, it's a pretty bizarre recourse in my opinion to punish their innocent children. And in this case, lying about the kids being taken by social services is just abhorrent, despicable, and disgusting.