Texas Women's Soccer

Js1

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Missimo goal early. 1-0 Texas vs UH. 

#17 Texas wins 1-0 over UH on Missimo's 45th career goal. It could have easily been more, but the UH keeper had a hell of a night with six saves.

Edited by MuellerHorn

1-0 win against UH. Probably should have finished a couple more but dominated possession/shots on goal. 

I think the key for this team will be the willingness to stay disciplined with all these offensive players. You can't always push forward and have to be willing to win some 1-0 and 2-1 type games. 

2 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

1-0 Texas FT. Texas kept possession most of the game but couldn’t finish in the final 3rd. Texas actually beat UH 6-1 last season, but we looked rusty today. Houston played a couple of preseason games but Texas played none

My biggest worry with this team is actually scoring too many goals early in the year. 

They can push numbers and score more goals. The problem is that's not going to work against better teams. You have to keep some type of defensive shape even with all these offensive players. 

2nd half and they're trying Villarreal, Missimo, and Byars together. Think you have to do this. 

Some recruiting services had Villarreal as the #3 recruit and she was doing this with the youth national team. You have to try and make it work with those 3 together. 

Returning our entire starting XI plus the addition of Amailia Villarreall (#11 ranked recruit) and Rosa Maalouf from the Canadian U20 squad should be a Final Four squad at the very minimum. If Kelly can't get there with this team, it's time to cut ties. Recruiting at a high level be damned. 

10 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Returning our entire starting XI plus the addition of Amailia Villarreall (#11 ranked recruit) and Rosa Maalouf from the Canadian U20 squad should be a Final Four squad at the very minimum. If Kelly can't get there with this team, it's time to cut ties. Recruiting at a high level be damned. 

Villarreal was ranked higher than #11 by some services. #3 by prep soccer.

She's definitely better than the #11 recruit based off what she was doing with the youth national team. If she played club soccer in Texas she would be ranked higher by some services. 

• Like 1

The issue with Villarreal is that we are essentially playing 3 forwards if she starts. 

Byars is a forward, Missimo is an attacking mid that essentially plays like a forward, and Villarreal also likes to play in an attacking mid role. You have to figure out a way to make it work though.

In the 2nd half they had Villarreal playing on the wing and more of a defensive center mid role. It's unfortunate for good players like Haugen, Ward, and Miller but they need to lose some minutes because they simply aren't better than Villarreal. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

We will find out how good Texas is in the next 2 games.

@ SMU: 2-0 and played A&M really close in an exhibition game. They're normally pretty good and probably a fringe top 25 team. We destroyed them last year when they were receiving votes but that's because they got a red card in like the 5th minute. 

Then Iowa who is ranked in the top 25. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

2 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

We will find out how good Texas is in the next 2 games.

@ SMU: 2-0 and played A&M really close in an exhibition game. They're normally pretty good and probably a fringe top 25 team. We destroyed them last year when they were receiving votes but that's because they got a red card in like the 5th minute. 

Then Iowa who is ranked in the top 25. 

Last time we played @ SMU they beat us, and it was unfortunately an NCAA tournament match that ended our season in 2021. Lexi, Trinity, and EmJ were all on the team that lost to SMU, so we know they won't take them lightly. We're still waiting on the injury update on EmJ but I doubt she travels to Dallas. 

5 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Villarreal was ranked higher than #11 by some services. #3 by prep soccer.

She's definitely better than the #11 recruit based off what she was doing with the youth national team. If she played club soccer in Texas she would be ranked higher by some services. 

Yeah, I saw that you mentioned that up top after I had already made my post. She's definitely a top 5 recruit. Kelly can recruit, but it's time to put up or shut up. I'm tired of her dragging the team down. If she can't make the final 4 with this team, she needs to go. This is a final 4 roster, you know? 

• Hook 'Em 1

I think we will be fine if Cox is out long-term. We will really miss her on free kicks but the biggest worry with this team is vulnerability on direct balls over the top because of how high we push. 

Both Cox and Lapo love to get forward in those fullback spots. In a way, I think defensively we may be better just having somebody back there that plays conservative and doesn't push forward. 

40 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I think we will be fine if Cox is out long-term. We will really miss her on free kicks but the biggest worry with this team is vulnerability on direct balls over the top because of how high we push. 

Both Cox and Lapo love to get forward in those fullback spots. In a way, I think defensively we may be better just having somebody back i there that plays conservative and doesn't push forward. 

I hope you are right.

• Rage+1 2

The key with this team is finding a happy balance between attacking and staying disciplined enough to keep a defensive shape. 

This team is very offensive-minded. All our midfielders love to get in a very high position. This was even more of an issue with Cox because both Cox and Lapo also love to push forward at those fullback spots. 

If Cox does return, they just need to figure out a happy medium between attacking and keeping a defensive shape. 

The big thing that needs to change moving forward is Villarreal's minutes. 

49 and 60 minutes (last 2 games) is not enough against better competition. She needs to be playing 80+ minutes a game. I think Kelly has the same apprehension as me though......you can't have an entire roster that likes to push forward with zero defensive shape. 

But, I think that's something you have to figure out with somebody else in the midfield willing to play more of a defensive role. 

• Like 1

This is a good test against a quality team and this is how good teams will play tactically against us. 

I.e. to put 5 or 6 players in the middle of the field around Missimo and Byars. Then attempt to play over the top because our fullbacks sometimes get out of position trying to push too high. 

Overall, I thought our defenders did a pretty good job of staying disciplined in the back. Need more creativity around Missimo and Byars with them drawing so much attention.