ESPN GAME DAY

Steamboat1874

1 hour ago, Hamttx said:

Meh, I’m an old guy who has watched GameDay since its inception. Change is nothing new.   Now, Tim Rinaldi, they can jettison his ass any fucking time. 

Tom Rinaldi left GameDay, January 2021 😋

• Hook 'Em 1

Screenshot_20240725-093401_kindlephoto-5162953.thumb.png.ca0b762c965489045d90952a5359e719.png

ESPN’s College GameDay has been among my favorite parts of college football Saturdays for many years. I admit I liked the classic line-up of Chris Fowler, Lee Corso, and Kirk Herbstreit the best. Simple and effective.

I’m also not the biggest fan of the tear-jerker, hit you right in the feels stories they do during the show. They aren’t what I’m looking for on a Saturday morning when I’m pumped for football, but they never got in the way for me either.

The last few years though I have struggled through one component: Pat McAfee. Now, ESPN has announced he is returning for another season, and I am trying to figure out if I am returning.

I am not a McAfee hater. To the contrary, I have been a fan. My daddy went to West Virginia so I adored him as a player. I like pro wrestling, and he fits in there very well. He can be very entertaining in that environment. I don’t frequent his radio show, but that seems like a great medium for him.

He has, however, evolved into a personality that just doesn’t vibe with what I enjoy about GameDay. I do understand there is demand for his product. I’m not a fan of Barstool Sports but I do understand why they are a thing. McAfee seems like a natural for Barstool, Mad Dog Sports, or any of the other programming that is popular with many but just tends to be more about the spectacle of the personalities instead of the spectacle of the sports.

That is what I probably love the most about GameDay: the environment of the college campus. The fans, the energy, the excitement. That is why I have always enjoyed college sports more than pro sports. It is something that FOX’s pregame coverage usually lacks.

The personalities I mentioned, along with Rece Davis and David Pollack, are entertaining but not overwhelming. They were a good fit for the vibe of the program. Corso was always a goof, but even he didn't overwhelm the big picture experience. Same for Desmond Howard.

What I hate about this the most is that I was really looking forward to seeing Nick Saban on the program this season. I still want to see how Saban fits into the GameDay model, but now I cringe knowing I must suffer through more McAfee and his attention-seeking behavior.

I will still tune in because I want to see Saban and I still love GameDay, but I think I’ll also be turning the channel to see what is happening on the FOX pre-game coverage more often than I have in recent years.

22 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

That is what I probably love the most about GameDay: the environment of the college campus. The fans, the energy, the excitement. That is why I have always enjoyed college sports more than pro sports. It is something that FOX’s pregame coverage usually lacks.

To me this is what McAfee brings.  I personally like his addition. The other guys have been stale for a while. I'm not even sure Howard watches CFB anymore. Pollack... he ran out of things to say years ago. Energy, new blood is what has been needed.  FOX is great mainly because they aren't the same guys talking about the same things using the same phrases they have used for years. It's good because it's different.

• Hook 'Em 2

I think Saban is going to be an incredible addition and will bring the kind of expertise that Urban Meyer brought the first time he was added to the Fox pregame. Fox needs to stop trying to be Gameday. They don't have to go onsite to every spare Big Noon game. It was better when it was a studio show and not a "let's kiss the ass of the Big Ten team we're hosting this week". Urban's 2nd go round isn't as good. I like Leinart but Ingram isn't a great addition. I flip back and forth but stick with Gameday more because the Big 10 is boring football for the most part. 

I had already cooled on gameday the last few years, but once they  hired that fucking tool Mcafee, that was it for me. I didn't realize Saban was coming on board and agree he will probably be a good addition. If there was a way to  mute one person, I'd probably give it a shot. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Saban is a great addition.

If they could get rid of Howard, that would be more addition by subtraction.

GameDay - Howard - Corso = +++

I used to enjoy Lee's antics, but now it's like spending time at the old folks' home when he interjects.

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, DFW Horn said:

GameDay - Howard - Corso = +++

I used to enjoy Lee's antics, but now it's like spending time at the old folks' home when he interjects.

It's like being at a family reunion, when the old uncle speaks everybody else stops to listen and then, inevitably, someone translates what Uncle just said into full English.

8 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Saban is a great addition.

If they could get rid of Howard, that would be more addition by subtraction.

I look forward to Saban's complete lack of a poker face every time Desmond speaks.

• Haha 2

To me this is what McAfee brings.  I personally like his addition. The other guys have been stale for a while. I'm not even sure Howard watches CFB anymore. Pollack... he ran out of things to say years ago. Energy, new blood is what has been needed.  FOX is great mainly because they aren't the same guys talking about the same things using the same phrases they have used for years. It's good because it's different.

We agree at last.

I like Pat as well with his energy. Doing a dive into the Tennessee river to wearing tank tops on the sidelines. At 50 years old I got no problem with him.

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

New CFB anthem... starts around 2:25

Jelly Roll reacts to seeing the 2024 college football anthem for the first time 🏈 | Pat McAfee Show

God fucking dammit, I HATE Jelly Roll.

I actually like a lot of Nashville country in the right context and find Jelly Roll deeply shitty. It's not even country, it's so kind of weird buttrock that occasionally involves a banjo.

"Oh but his backstory is so inspirational" well go be a fucking life coach.

This is worse than Imagine Dragons. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I actually like a lot of Nashville country in the right context and find Jelly Roll deeply shitty. It's not even country, it's so kind of weird buttrock that occasionally involves a banjo.

"Oh but his backstory is so inspirational" well go be a fucking life coach.

This is worse than Imagine Dragons. 

Imagine Dragons is awesome. Fuck you.

• 2 weeks later...

So with a quick Google they are guesting a wwe star that wrestles from there? lol. Good job producers. Some douche from a sport that nobody in college football can relate to other than a very small percentage.

Some pickleball star on the cards for next weekend I am guessing because football.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, markstanco said:

So with a quick Google they are guesting a wwe star that wrestles from there? lol. Good job producers. Some douche from a sport that nobody in college football can relate to other than a very small percentage.

Some pickleball star on the cards for next weekend I am guessing because football.

They are @aggy for Week 1, so sheep farmer incoming.

Honestly, I kinda hope it's Johnny 8-ball. Train wrecks are fun to watch.

• Haha 1

I personally prefer Fox's lineup (who gives a shit?) because they're more informative and their presence doesn't make me want to punch holes in drywall. I think it took a step back when they let Reggie Bush go and added Mark Ingram (who adds nothing), but otherwise it's my go-to before kickoff.

Game Day has heen stale for over a decade at the very least. Corso (god bless him) seems like he has some dementia or alzheimer's, and it makes me have second hand embarrassment (and it's not his fault, but ESPN) when he mutters through a sentence and Herbie has to help get it out. That's hard to watch. Howard is a total retard who adds literally nothing. Fowler doesn't bother me, he's a good correspondent and play-by-play guy. McAfee is like 40 and acts like a bro, which is another second hand embarrassment. Plus he's annoying on TV. I'll check it out just to see how Saban does, but I don't expect much. I bet he comes off as wooden. 

• Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I personally prefer Fox's lineup ...

... see how Saban does, but I don't expect much. I bet he comes off as wooden. 

Fox better, no doubt.

Nick too used to being the star, may be petulant about it. But he communicates well and he knows WTF he's talking about. Looking forward to seeing him some. But what do I know - I like Urban's takes, too.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Fox better, no doubt.

Nick too used to being the star, may be petulant about it. But he communicates well and he knows WTF he's talking about. Looking forward to seeing him some. But what do I know - I like Urban's takes, too.

Same. Urban as a human being sucks, but as analyst he's pretty good and charismatic. We'll see how Nick does. It just sucks he's surrounded by a bunch of idiots and a guy suffering from a debilitating disease. 

I am pretty sure I will always take in Gameday.  Great Saturday morning tradition that I won't let go of.  That said, Big Noon has been the better show since its inception.  It's just a better show.  Gameday got worse when they went to three hours and keeping a lazy moron like Howard on the show is inexcusable and unforgivable.  It's fairly easy to start watching Gameday around 45-60 minutes after it starts and then be able to shoot back and forth between the two shows skipping everything you don't want to see and finish both right around kick off.

At first I didn't like the Gameday Anthem pick just because I am not a Jelly Roll fan but watching the 2 minute promo set to the song...it's pretty good.  Better than I would have expected given Disney/ESPNs ability to fuck up simple things.

Saban is professional. Saban is well prepared. Saban is knowledgeable. Saban is humorless. I think he’ll be successful, but they need to cut the bullshitting with the guys segments. Chopping it up is not his strength. 

I was looking for DJ’s stage dad holding cue cards during the interview. 

The Ireland tourism segments were something. Tinged with Catholic guilt and direct references to the Potato Famine. That’s exactly what I want to think about when planning a vacation.

Texas seems to the trendy pick for the CFP 5th seed. If we go 12-0, lose the rematch with Georgia in the SEC, and we’re seeded behind 9-3 Oklahoma State, surly will be apoplectic. 

I’m very happy to be watching college football right now. 

On 8/8/2024 at 3:17 PM, texifornia said:

I can't eat a meal if someone with face tats is nearby. It's like that Nic Cage character who had to eat with plastic utensils because putting metal in his mouth made him sick

• Hook 'Em 1

I have always found that my interest in Gameday is directly related to our record. If we are in the national title hunt, I watch every minute.  If we are not, I only consume Longhorn centric media and drink bourbon in a dark room.  I then only watch our games on mute and violently yell.  I am excited about Gameday this year.  

• Hook 'Em 5

28 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

I can't eat a meal if someone with face tats is nearby. It's like that Nic Cage character who had to eat with plastic utensils because putting metal in his mouth made him sick

Wolverine: “You mind putting your mask back on?”

Deadpool: “It’s super hard to eat while I’m wearing it.”

Wolverine: “It’s super hard to eat when you’re not.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Terrible call with DJU at QB. We’ve seen him forever and know exactly what he brings. 

It makes you wonder. Saban had the entire offseason to watch prospective playoff teams. I’m sure he saw a few things in liked in FSU, but DJU wasn’t one of them. I guess he thinks Norvell and the team is enough to overcome DJU in a weak ACC. 

I’ve heard rumors before that active coaches have their admins fill out their Coaches’ Poll ballot because they don’t have time to casually watch football. They watch their team, teams on their schedule, and that’s it.