Metallica

Lurch

It’s crazy to say that the Metallica we grew up with, you know, the one that played thrash metal, hasn’t put out an amazing album since 1988. And even then, the production was so shitty on that album. I know a bunch of y’all will white knight the black album. Slow your roll, I’m not saying they sold out. I bet they are making music that makes them more or less happy and more rich ;). But we all know, there is a huge difference between ride the lightning and whatever this crap is they are peddling now.

• Hook 'Em 1

April 27, 2023 - Amsterdam NL @ Johan Cruijff Arena
April 29, 2023 - Amsterdam NL @ Johan Cruijff Arena
May 17, 2023 - Paris FR @ Stade de France*
May 19, 2023 - Paris FR @ Stade de France
May 26, 2023 - Hamburg DE @ Volksparkstadion
May 28, 2023 - Hamburg DE @ Volksparkstadion
June 16, 2023 - Gothenburg SE @ Ullevi Stadium**
June 18, 2023 - Gothenburg SE @ Ullevi Stadium
Aug. 4, 2023 - East Rutherford, N.J. @ MetLife Stadium
Aug. 6, 2023 - East Rutherford, N.J. @ MetLife Stadium
Aug. 11, 2023 - Montreal, Quebec @ Stade Olympique
Aug. 13, 2023 - Montreal, Quebec @ Stade Olympique
Aug. 18, 2023 - Arlington, Texas @ AT&T Stadium
Aug. 20, 2023 - Arlington, Texas @ AT&T Stadium
Aug. 25, 2023 - Inglewood, Calif. @ SoFi Stadium
Aug. 27, 2023 - Inglewood, Calif. @ SoFi Stadium
Sept. 1, 2023 - Glendale, Ariz. @ State Farm Stadium
Sept. 3, 2023 - Glendale, Ariz. @ State Farm Stadium
Nov. 3, 2023 - St. Louis, Mo. @ The Dome at America’s Center
Nov. 5, 2023 - St. Louis, Mo. @ The Dome at America’s Center
Nov. 10, 2023 - Detroit, Mich. @ Ford Field
Nov. 12, 2023 - Detroit, Mich. @ Ford Field
May 24, 2024 - Munich DE @ Olympiastadion
May 26, 2024 - Munich DE @ Olympiastadion
June 7, 2024 - Helsinki FI @ Olympic Stadium
June 9, 2024 - Helsinki FI @ Olympic Stadium
June 14, 2024 - Copenhagen DK @ Parken Stadium
June 16, 2024 - Copenhagen DK @ Parken Stadium
July 5, 2024 - Warsaw PL @ PGE Narodowy
July 7, 2024 - Warsaw PL @ PGE Narodowy
July 12, 2024 - Madrid ES @ Estadio Cívitas Metropolitano
July 14, 2024 - Madrid ES @ Estadio Cívitas Metropolitano
Aug. 2, 2024 - Foxborough, Mass. @ Gillette Stadium
Aug. 4, 2024 - Foxborough, Mass. @ Gillette Stadium
Aug. 9, 2024 - Chicago, Ill. @ Soldier Field
Aug. 11, 2024 - Chicago, Ill. @ Soldier Field
Aug. 16, 2024 - Minneapolis, Minn. @ US Bank Stadium
Aug. 18, 2024 - Minneapolis, Minn. @ US Bank Stadium
Aug. 23, 2024 - Edmonton, Alberta @ Commonwealth Stadium
Aug. 25, 2024 - Edmonton, Alberta @ Commonwealth Stadium
Aug. 30, 2024 - Seattle, Wash. @ Lumen Field
Sept. 1, 2024 - Seattle, Wash. @ Lumen Field
Sept. 20, 2024 - Mexico City, Mexico @ Foro Sol***
Sept. 22, 2024 - Mexico City, Mexico @ Foro Sol
Sept. 27, 2024 - Mexico City, Mexico @ Foro Sol***
Sept. 29, 2024 - Mexico City, Mexico @ Foro Sol
Show 1 Support Europe: Architects & Mammoth WVH**
Show 2 Support Europe: Five Finger Death Punch & Ice Nine Kills

*Five Finger Death Punch/Ice Nine Kills play show 1 in Paris, Architects & Mammoth WVH play show 2 in Paris
**Volbeat replaces Architects on show 1 in Gothenburg
***Greta Van Fleet replaces Pantera on show 1 both weekends in Mexico City

• Hook 'Em 1

Don’t give a single fuck. 

I’m going. A lot.
Let Dime’s work be heard loud as flying fuck once again, in his honor.
The world needs it. 

Fair enough and true. But don’t call it Pantera. It ain’t goddamned Pantera without Vinnie and Darrell. I will argue this until the end of time.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Welp....I thought I would go.

But not at those ticket prices for the product they are putting out.

I'm and old school Metallica fan.

First three albums made them.

Fourth album kept them afloat but still great.

Black album was great but not what I was expecting let alone wanting.

And at the same time introduced a whole new audience to them.

That kinda went against what they were all about if you ask me.

But I digress.

I'm not willing to dump that kind of cash on them.

They sure do put on a great show though.

God dammit where's my wallet!

On 11/29/2022 at 6:29 AM, Buzzrock said:

Big meh from me. But I haven’t really liked anything since the black album.

At least Megadeth still brings it.

I saw Metallica 15 years ago or so.  Played nothing but stuff from the first four albums and a few black album songs.  May catch some grief from some, but I actually like Load and Reload.  Everything after that though, big nope.

Correct on Megadeth.  Dave and crew are still bringing the good stuff.  Fortunate to have seen them twice over the years.  Caught a guitar pick from Dave at both shows.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 12/1/2022 at 1:02 PM, Lurch said:

bcc4905eb3d63acd3509b93a80bd64a1.jpg

On 12/1/2022 at 10:09 PM, Elmer_Fudd said:

I saw Metallica 15 years ago or so.  Played nothing but stuff from the first four albums and a few black album songs.  May catch some grief from some, but I actually like Load and Reload.  Everything after that though, big nope.

Correct on Megadeth.  Dave and crew are still bringing the good stuff.  Fortunate to have seen them twice over the years.  Caught a guitar pick from Dave at both shows.

Those dudes in the picture above would really hate Load and Reload.

And probably everything after that.

And while we're at it, they would hate the Black album as well.

metallica purists are among the most ridiculous "fans" of any band

Why though? Maybe I am not the kind of fan you are talking about.

I like the old stuff. Some of the stuff in the 90s was ok, but it just doesn’t do it for me like the old stuff. The last 20 years I don’t like at all. So I don’t listen to it.

This happens with a lot of bands/fans. I really only reach for the first two Helmet albums and occasionally Betty…but after that, it just doesn’t do anything for me.

Should I keep buying and listening to music from a band that isn’t putting out music that I like?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
I knew when I clicked on the YouTube link that I would very likely not be into it. But I did it anyways. Not the worst thing I have heard but it is just boring. Good to see Lars is still not recording his drum tracks live in the studio.

Lars can’t play multiple parts of that drum track. I’d love to sit on stage and watch him play that song live. Pieces would be missing.

I saw a video a few years ago of him playing “one”. It was lol.

Posted (edited)

Both nights were excellent. 

I tried to avoid looking at the previous set lists in advance, but it appears that there's a fair amount of overlap in terms what they play from city to city (which isn't exactly surprising, and isn't meant to sound like a criticism) so probably not a ton of variance throughout the tour. 

Crowd was even mellower than I expected, but if you wanted to find a mosh pit, there were almost always a few dedicated locations on the floor where things were rowdy. 

This was Doomlet's first concert, and he crapped out on attending the second night. He doesn't do very well with events of unspecified/unknown duration, and he had a busy day outside doing summer camp shit (and refused to go to bed early the night before, or sleep in the morning of the show because he knows everything...), and the process exiting Soldier Field is a complete and total shitshow, so that kind of burned him out on the experience at the end of the night. 

We're all going to Iron Maiden in a couple of months, so we'll see how that goes....

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Solid. Loved the bronco bowl back in the day. Saw many shows there but I missed that one.

I did see them the year before at the Arcadia theater on Greenville. No ticket to show though.

Nice. Was that the Ride the Lightning tour? Who opened?

Yes and I don’t remember.

Edit: Internet says it was Armored Saint.

The Arcadia was great. Saw many shows there too back in the day. Wasp. The Cult on Love tour. Hard to remember them all now.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 8/14/2024 at 4:52 PM, 4th&Five said:

Google tells me Armored Saint and The Godz. 

The Godz opened that Bronco Bowl show. They were a 70s rock band from....Ohio? I remember vocally hating them and being told to shut up by a grizzled biker dude. I shut up. In any case, I wonder how they got on that tour.

• Hook 'Em 1

First time seeing Metallica was about 3 weeks earlier in Fort Worth, opening for Ozzy:

ozzy.thumb.jpg.e45f0c2d0754a9b1e2565ee233edf46c.jpg

That’s cool. Wish I still had all my tickets. Saw Motley Crue open for Ozzy on Bark at the Moon tour at Reunion in like 83 or 84 maybe.

• 3 weeks later...

A few weeks ago my high school freshman daughter asked me if I had ever heard of a band called Metallica. 

I said why yes I have, why do you ask?

Apparently the high school band (she plays snare drum) will be performing Master of Puppets during Friday Night Lights later in the season. 

Btw, I saw Metallica open for Raven in Austin on the Kill Em All Tour. 1983 or 84 (junior or senior year in HS). I think it was at the Backroom on Riverside? not sure about that, but I did see a lot of shows at that dump. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

A few weeks ago my high school freshman daughter asked me if I had ever heard of a band called Metallica. 

I said why yes I have, why do you ask?

Apparently the high school band (she plays snare drum) will be performing Master of Puppets during Friday Night Lights later in the season. 

Btw, I saw Metallica open for Raven in Austin on the Kill Em All Tour. 1983 or 84 (junior or senior year in HS). I think it was at the Backroom on Riverside? not sure about that, but I did see a lot of shows at that dump. 

Damn, the "Kill 'em All for One" tour. I saw a lot of shows at the Back Room, but I didn't get to Austin until 1989. 

Master of Puppets is one of my favorite albums ever. I liked a lot of their stuff up through Load. After that I kind of lost interest. I still blast them every now and then to introduce them to my girls and quiz them on which song and album is playing.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Earliest I saw Metallica was 1988 for the Monsters of Rock tour. I was right up front in Rice Stadium, getting blasted with the firehose since it was pretty much as hot as the surface of the sun when Metallica was playing. IIRC Metallica was fourth on the bill of five bands, going on right before Dokken if you can believe it. Scorps and Van Hagar cleaned up that night, which was critical since there was a massive stadium-wide trash fight right after the Houston afternoon rain shower that made that place a stinking rain-soaked trash heap. 

Seeing them open for Ozzy (or Raven FFS) is pretty damn legit. Kudos. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Earliest I saw Metallica was 1988 for the Monsters of Rock tour. I was right up front in Rice Stadium, getting blasted with the firehose since it was pretty much as hot as the surface of the sun when Metallica was playing. IIRC Metallica was fourth on the bill of five bands, going on right before Dokken if you can believe it. Scorps and Van Hagar cleaned up that night, which was critical since there was a massive stadium-wide trash fight right after the Houston afternoon rain shower that made that place a stinking rain-soaked trash heap. 

The Scorpions were such a bad ass band.

On 9/7/2024 at 8:36 PM, honolulu horn said:

Saw the same tour in Indianapolis...