austin radio stuff

hayden_horn

• 1 month later...

Do jeff and ed ever talk about sports?

sec media days, specifically the day sark et al are there, and when i get in the car they’re talking political shit.

Instant tune out.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, demos said:

sec media days, specifically the day sark et al are there, and when i get in the car they’re talking political shit.

Instant tune out.

I've gotten to the point where I'm amazed anyone still listens to the radio in Austin.

And I feel like I was a holdout when it came to giving up on every station. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

I've gotten to the point where I'm amazed anyone still listens to the radio in Austin.
And I feel like I was a holdout when it came to giving up on every station. 

I usually listen on my morning drive. They’ve had some good interviews this week.

But in the afternoon I usually end up listening to my playlist or a podcast because those two guys are never talking sports it seems like.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, demos said:

Instant tune out.

I find the E & J show somewhat like the discussions at a family Thanksgiving get-together.  One brother (E) works for a right-winger and is trying to convince himself (and everyone else) that he's moderate (he really is) without impacting his gravy train.  This brother is a well loved "goofball" in hi friend group.  The other brother (J) is a moderate-libertarian who thinks he's smarter than everyone.  His smarts have resulted in a distressed family life and myriad failed relationships.  (E) capitulates, realizing it's only 1x per year (or 2 hours per day) and takes the high road.

Fwiw - I use their podcast as the background noise as I try to fall asleep some nights 

On 6/3/2024 at 4:48 PM, Updawg said:

I’ve been listening to Jeff a little bit lately when I’m in the car but he’s pretty miserable to listen to. It’s ok when Ed is on with him to a certain extent. Maybe it’s just trying to give it a shot for nostalgia reasons.

Ward and Ed are just terrible...   Austin deserves a lot better  🙄

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like ESPN Austin 102.7 has reconfigured their sports lineup.  "Three Guys On Sports" have apparently been fired, E Hogan has taken on Noah as his sidekick (as opposed to Nick who was apparently kicked to the curb), and they have expanded from 7-10 to 7-11.  Rich Eisen then does 2 hours and Paul Finebaum takes an hour, then presumably Jeff Ward followed by Jeff & Ed.  If Trey Elling survives there is no God.  In a similar vein, wtf does Tyler Campbell bring of value?

I stopped listening to Erin in the morning bc his sidekick was so bad.  I've never heard of Noah but will give it a shot.  E isn't great but he's fine and there's something about listening to local live radio covering Texas sports on the drive in in the morning that gives me comfort. 

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Looks like ESPN Austin 102.7 has reconfigured their sports lineup.  "Three Guys On Sports" have apparently been fired, E Hogan has taken on Noah as his sidekick (as opposed to Nick who was apparently kicked to the curb), and they have expanded from 7-10 to 7-11.  Rich Eisen then does 2 hours and Paul Finebaum takes an hour, then presumably Jeff Ward followed by Jeff & Ed.  If Trey Elling survives there is no God.  In a similar vein, wtf does Tyler Campbell bring of value?

Trey Elling survived. Still has his show, according to Hogan. 

• Rage+1 1

I haven't listened to Austin radio in years. I flipped on 101X last week. Observations

1. Why is it still mostly playing songs from 20 years ago? There have been a shitton of albums released in the last 2 decades. Why are they still playing the same shit over and over?

2. Why do all the DJs sound douchey and rapey as hell?

I'm back to streaming shit from Spotify. 

35 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I haven't listened to Austin radio in years. I flipped on 101X last week. Observations

1. Why is it still mostly playing songs from 20 years ago? There have been a shitton of albums released in the last 2 decades. Why are they still playing the same shit over and over?

Because 93.7 has a monopoly on stuff before 1990.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

2. Why do all the DJs sound douchey and rapey as hell?

I'm back to streaming shit from Spotify. 

I think they got a new owner and ever since they purged the unique talent and replaced it with no-talent assclowns

15 minutes ago, deft said:

I don’t listen to sports radio at all. How is sawyer stull? He got started with Matt and bob and made his way over to ESPN from there. I was just curious how he fit in there.

I didn't listen to the 3 guys show very often, I only listen to radio in the car and I was rarely on the road at that time.  If he was the local comic, he seemed like the only one with a brain.

I like Jeff Ward and Ed Clemens.

When I'm out away from Austin, I put KUT on my phone and Bluetooth it through my car speakers.  They have about 10 different commercial free streams including BBC, but what I really like is the Texas music channel. They'll play Ernest Tubb followed by Ghetto Boys followed by Gruppo Fantasma followed by Slaid Cleaves. Good stuff.

Edited by Hornius Emeritus
  • Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

I still listen to Rod Babers on the Horn but it seems like he talks about the Cowboys and NFL more than college FB.

I thought "The Horn" died... is it only available on the app or at hornfm.com now??

Just now, Hornius Emeritus said:

Sorry... they both suck

53 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I thought "The Horn" died... is it only available on the app or at hornfm.com now??

It's definitely available through "The Horn" app.  My wife gets up at 6 AM so I sometimes listen to his show while trying to decide when I'm gonna haul my fat ass out of bed.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

Wait, KDunn came BACK to radio?  I thought he left years ago to do something in the sports market..   NIL stuff rings a bell.

He just jumps on Elling's 6PM show one night a week.  I don't know if he is doing anything else.

On 8/19/2024 at 11:16 PM, Hornius Emeritus said:

When I'm out away from Austin, I put KUT on my phone and Bluetooth it through my car speakers.  They have about 10 different commercial free streams including BBC, but what I really like is the Texas music channel. They'll play Ernest Tubb followed by Ghetto Boys followed by Gruppo Fantasma followed by Slaid Cleaves. Good stuff.

IMG_2352.gif

12 hours ago, Wiler77 said:

Wait, KDunn came BACK to radio?  I thought he left years ago to do something in the sports market..   NIL stuff rings a bell.

Dunn left radio to go into wealth management with Morgan Stanley.  Looks like he's now trying Real Estate... 

Current LinkedIn Info

Screenshot_2024-08-21-09-40-07_kindlephoto-1192336.png.15ae79e49222d57ed521189826dc6205.png

Edited by LTtxfan

On 8/19/2024 at 11:16 PM, Hornius Emeritus said:

I love KUT... especially their artist of the month program where you can hear great local bands like Je'Texas, DAIISTAR, Being Dead, etc.  

https://kutx.org/artist-of-the-month/

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Dunn left radio to go into wealth management with Morgan Stanley.  Looks like he's now trying Real Estate... 

Current LinkedIn Info

Screenshot_2024-08-21-09-40-07_kindlephoto-1192336.png.15ae79e49222d57ed521189826dc6205.png

I thought he was still on Texas Sports Unfiltered, he used to be in a lot of postgame streams

3 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

How have I never heard of/remembered this?

thanks!

I drove all the way to northern Minnesota and back just listening to Texas music. Then I'd switch over to the Austin music channel for awhile, then BBC, then back to Texas music. All with no commercials. I don't like every song but even the ones I don't like I usually find interesting. As long as you've got a phone with a connection to the internet, you're golden.

• Like 1