Halloween/Horror Movie Thread

SimonBolivar

• 2 weeks later...

Watched In A Violent Nature once the wife went to bed last Friday 13th.

Only the FT13th remake was avaliable on Max and not a fan so chose the former on Shudder instead. 

I dug it.  Didn't mind the quiet slow pace.  Apparently many hated it haha.

Def zero desire to re watch but I enjoyed it and the kills were pretty gnarly.  Ending crazy tense, though was weird shifting to the final girl pov.

I wonder how long it'll take or Terrifier 3 to go to streaming/vod?

I maintain a watchlist of movies, and for October I'll filter the horrors and focus on those. Here's some movies I'm hoping to watch, more or less in order of priority. Not sure which if these will be available for streaming/vod. Usually I'm able to knock out ~10 movies in October. I'm sure a couple of newer ones I haven't heard of will be added too

Terrifier 3

Trap

The Substance

The Sadness

Cloud

Chime

Maxxxine

Color out of Space

The Queen of Black Magic

Strange Darling

Overlord

Prince of Darkness

Spirits of the Dead

The Devil (1972)

The Frighteners

Detention

Koko-di Koko-da

Splice

The Outwaters

Let's Scare Jessica to Death

Footprints of the Moon

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/27/2023 at 1:41 PM, wutang75 said:

- When Evil Lurks (Shudder) This lived up to the hype for me but isn’t a perfect movie by any means. First half is absolute bonkers and I love how foreign horror doesn’t care about our moral restrictions. Nothing is off limits. I think I liked his first movie Terrified more, but it too loses me a little in the final act. (4/5)

So I finally caught this on Hulu after reading about it here and periodically over the last year.  I was a little disappointed and it was not atypical of the weirdness I see in lower budget foreign produced horror films.  Plot holes, characters that behave in unfamiliar ways, plot that demands that the characters  are oblivious in order to set up conflict.  

The best “oh shit” moment I won’t spoil and involves a dog, but I’m afraid everything after was underwhelming.  

Watched four horror or horror adjacent movies this week, and I surprisingly liked all four

The Frighteners- goofy horrors aren't my favorite, but this was pretty good

Prince of Darkness- I appreciate how seriously they took the background mythology and sci-fi of this. It's not from the Lovecraft universe, but it's Lovecraftian 

Maxxxine- I liked this one much more than I remember liking the first two in this series (X and Pearl); apparently I'm in the monitory though, and most think it's the weakest of the three. I liked a lot of stuff throughout the movie, and I thought the first third or so was excellent, but the final reveal/twist was underwhelming. Mia Goth rules. The movie has a lot of 80s to it and is saturated with nods to the classics to the point of distraction.  

Detention- I instantly loved this movie, even though it might not actually be good. It's some kind of mix of Scream, Donnie Darko, and a John Hughes movie. I might add this to a list of "lesser known movies I like" that I've been working on for years 

I’m going to make an effort at 31 for 31, and I’m starting with a couple found footage horror films. 

Grave Encounters (had it recc’d a few times) is first up. 

I’m going to go further back in this thread and seek out whatever will fuck me up the most. 

I love October. Michael Myers Summer GIF by HBO Max

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, hookemATL said:

I’m going to go further back in this thread and seek out whatever will fuck me up the most. 

All Hallows' Eve, Terrifier, Terrifier 2, Terrifier 3

These will fuck you up, and take up four of your days 

3 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Starting watching this on Prime, then reopened this thread to see your recc.  Guess I will watch them all!

I've only watched them once, but I remember thinking Terrifier 2 was the best pure slasher that's come out in years. Elite slasher. But very fucked up 

That makes me think, what's the most demented 31 movie nights you can make? 

The four Art the Clown movies, the original Martyrs, the original The Hills Have Eyes, Hellraiser, Audition, and the Texas Chainsaw Massacre all would make it, off the top of the dome

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Fud said:

I remember thinking Terrifier 2 was the best pure slasher that's come out in years. Elite slasher. But very fucked up 

I saw Terrifier 3 last week at Fantastic Fest. I didn't think it was possible, but they bumped it up a notch from Terrifier 2.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, hookemATL said:

Starting watching this on Prime, then reopened this thread to see your recc.  Guess I will watch them all!

Welp this movie is super fucked up and awesome. Didn’t have topless chick sawed in half from vagina to skull on my bingo card. 

11 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

I claim immunity as the film released in 2016, and falls under the 8-year no spoiler necessary statute (that I just made up). 

Haha! Joking. I've seen that shit. I dressed as that clown the year it came out.

For Halloween not serial killing activities.

• Hook 'Em 1

The four Art the Clown movies, the original Martyrs, the original The Hills Have Eyes, Hellraiser, Audition, and the Texas Chainsaw Massacre all would make it, off the top of the dome

Does Human Centipede count lol
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

6 hours ago, Fud said:

Should I post a link to the 2021 Kansas game?

Terrifier 1 & 2 were a lot of fun. Very creative with the gore, and one of the bloodiest films I can remember. 

on to the next - any really mindfuck/guess I’ll never be the same after watching this movie type suggestions?  Let’s see how much I can numb myself. 

1 hour ago, hookemATL said:

Terrifier 1 & 2 were a lot of fun. Very creative with the gore, and one of the bloodiest films I can remember. 

on to the next - any really mindfuck/guess I’ll never be the same after watching this movie type suggestions?  Let’s see how much I can numb myself. 

Get really high and go see the substance before it leaves theaters.  I promise a mind fuckery

3 hours ago, hookemATL said:

What I recall of The Platform was fucked up and Netflix just released Platform 2 today I think 

May not be exactly the "horror/halloween" genre thing you are looking for though.  More "thriller" 

Edited by Scraps
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just did my one month sub on Shudder that I do every October, and noticed that they have Oddity. So for the price of what you'd rent elsewhere to watch Oddity, you can get Shudder instead and still be able to watch it, if you haven't yet seen it 

I just noticed there's a new VHS on there. They've been mostly pretty bad since the second one, but I'll probably still give this one a watch 

6 hours ago, hookemATL said:

These are fucked up in different ways, but..

Martyrs (the original)

A Serbian Film

Ichi the Killer

Audition

Inside (the original)

Martyrs is the one that really got to me

• Like 2

You could also just watch Gaspar Noe's filmography. Those movies fuck with you in different ways. The only one that really feels like an October movie though is Climax, which rules 

17 minutes ago, Fud said:

Just did my one month sub on Shudder that I do every October, and noticed that they have Oddity. So for the price of what you'd rent elsewhere to watch Oddity, you can get Shudder instead and still be able to watch it, if you haven't yet seen it 

I just noticed there's a new VHS on there. They've been mostly pretty bad since the second one, but I'll probably still give this one a watch 

Saw the first VHS and lost interest half way thru, let us know how the new one is. 

I haven't seen the WNUF Halloween Special, plan on catching that one soon.  Believe it's on Shudder. 

Some that arguably aren't quite as bad as those above worth seeing...

Henry

Possession

I Saw the Devil

Oldboy (the original)

Funny Games (the original)

Antichrist (or pretty much an Von Trier movie)

2 minutes ago, BurgleBro said:

Saw the first VHS and lost interest half way thru, let us know how the new one is. 

Odds are it'll suck. I thought the first two had some really memorable and great parts. Worth watching if you're a horror fan 

• Hook 'Em 1

Maxxxine

I feel like people reviewed this one way too negatively or maybe my Elon feed is loaded with troll bots...

Great conclusion to the trilogy.  I dug it.  Mia Goth is growing on me so Infinity Pool is on the docket tomorrow.