Halloween/Horror Movie Thread

SimonBolivar

The Sadness- a Taiwanese version of 28 Days Later, with a little more silliness mixed in. It's fine. Add to horror watch lists. 

The Outwaters- I have no idea what the fuck I watched, and I watch a lot of weird shit. Would not recommend. 

I loved the original Speak No Evil, and was very skeptical of the American remake. I thought they did a pretty good job. Definitely nowhere near as horrific as the original, but still a good flick. 

Edited to remove whiff of a spoiler for those who care

Edited by Reynolds Woodcock

Watched TLDI version of basket case.  Great stuff.  Amazing what you can do with a low budget. 

Then finally saw Smile.   Was so so.  Could tell it was going to be one of those movies that just end with everyone fucked.   She made questionable decisions.  Prob won't watch part 2.

Immaculate and Infinity Pool are next up. 

Tried to watch Fall, but ended up freaking out.  Skip the spoiler if you want to avoid a sad story.  I don't want to derail the thread.

Spoiler

At the beginning of the movie, a mountain climber has an accident and falls to his death in front of, what I presume to be, the main character.  I stopped watching after this scene because I had horrible visions running through my head.  A few years ago, a friend of my daughter died in a climbing accident.  They played soccer together for several years.  She was a very sweet girl from a nice family.  From what I can gather, she had made it to the top and was leaning back to repel/climb down when she fell.  The rope that was supposed to hold her was not tied on properly, so there was a moment where she leaned back and just kept going.  Awful image for me because of knowing her and my fear of falling.  

https://www.sevendaysvt.com/arts-culture/a-rock-climbers-death-highlights-dangers-of-an-increasingly-popular-sport-8971182

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BurgleBro said:

Watched TLDI version of basket case.  Great stuff.  Amazing what you can do with a low budget. 

Then finally saw Smile.   Was so so.  Could tell it was going to be one of those movies that just end with everyone fucked.   She made questionable decisions.  Prob won't watch part 2.

Immaculate and Infinity Pool are next up. 

Watched Basket Case yesterday. So good 

• Hook 'Em 1

This past week I knocked out

• The Substance - WTF, especially after taking a gummy.
  • Speak No Evil - as someone previously said the last half feels much longer than 30 mins.  Fuck.
  • Martyrs 😶

Started All Hallow's Eve, haven't finished.  Probably won't.  That clown never really bothered me in any of the movies he appears. 

Edited by BlueGreySky
  • Drool 1

25 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Would yall mind saying where yall streamed your recommendations? I love a lot of these recommendations and want to go through and add them to my watch lists real quick whenever I see one.

This site isn't perfect, but gives you a good starting point if you're looking for any streaming movie. 

https://www.justwatch.com/

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, LCHorn said:

Variety top 100 Horror films of all time.  

The List

Appears to be a list more devoted to cinematic touchstones than the scariest films of all time.  It’s pretty hard to find some of the pre-1960 stuff scary.  

Actually a pretty good list. There's some olds on there, but the ratio wasn't too bad. Arguably a bitter qualm is having some non-horrors on here like Irreversible and M 

A couple of other thoughts

- Kudos for Hereditary, The Witch, and The Wailing. Not kudos for no Terrifier

- The Suspiria remake is better than the original, which was incoherent. I find Argento's movies to be mostly not good, while I'm impressed by Bava's 

- Henry is so much better than Angst 

- The Orphanage is better than The Devils Backbone

- Cube should be in here

- If you're going to have some iffy horrors on the list, I'd include stuff like Neon Demon, Under the Shadow, Starry Eyes, and Climax

- Feels like Inside, High Tension, and Martyrs should make this list 

• Hook 'Em 1

The Blackcoats Daughter

Had this on this list since seeing Longlegs.  Pretty cool I thought, but the other didn't like it. 

I noticed some thematic parallels for sure.  

Also love me some Emma Roberts.

Would recommend if you enjoyed Longlegs.

Watched a couple of new releases this week.

Daddy's Head - definitely had some creepy moments, and great acting, but the ending left a bit too much unresolved for my taste.

Hold Your Breath - love Sarah Paulson and the acting was great, but the movie overall was pretty boring 

Oldest and I are trying to watch Halloween/horror movies all this month. Watched Silence of the Lambs on Friday and The Boogeyman last night. Silence of the Lambs is still so damn good. The way it's shot with the conversational camera angles on the actors, Anthony Hopkins excellent acting, Buffalo Bill. So good. The Boogeyman is a 2023 movie adapted from a Stephen King short story. Had some good jump scares and general creepiness. Definitely felt like a Stephen King story with the creature and why it existed.

We're planning to watch The VVitch, Hereditary, Insidious, Dr. Sleep (since she's already seen The Shining), Sleepy Hollow, and if she's ready The Exorcist. She's 16 and has seen most of the classics. I was thinking maybe Texas Chainsaw Massacre. We may watch The Crow since it's Halloween adjacent. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

We're planning to watch The VVitch, Hereditary, Insidious, Dr. Sleep (since she's already seen The Shining), Sleepy Hollow, and if she's ready The Exorcist. She's 16 and has seen most of the classics. I was thinking maybe Texas Chainsaw Massacre. We may watch The Crow since it's Halloween adjacent. 

Hereditary probably a tougher watch for a 16 year old than Exorcist. The latter is pretty old times feeling by today’s standards.

on the flip side, original Texas Chain Saw Massacre still creeps me out. Amazing movie.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Hereditary probably a tougher watch for a 16 year old than Exorcist. The latter is pretty old times feeling by today’s standards.

on the flip side, original Texas Chain Saw Massacre still creeps me out. Amazing movie.

Yeah, I've never seen Hereditary so that's a little bit of the appeal but I've heard it's really a movie with an ever-impending sense of dread. 

I really don't get why A24 is delaying Heretic to November. That feels like a good movie to have out around Halloween. 

18 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I really don't get why A24 is delaying Heretic to November.

Business decision, less crowded marketplace and not competing with Terrifier 3 and Smile 2.  Plus (totally anecdotal on this one), I think A24 has realized that horror films have kind of the same audience and they will hunt for those films rather than need it a seasonal marketing push.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Hereditary is my 16-yo's favorite movie. I just recently let him watch The Exorcist, and he was completely underwhelmed. Lots of the other movies that scared the shit out of me as a kid are non-events by his standards - he was so bored by Nightmare on Elm Street, for example, that he fell asleep. 

ITA on the original Chainsaw Massacre movie, btw. My son wasn't super creeped out, but it had him on edge far more than the original Freddy or Halloween movies, for sure.

19 hours ago, jetsfan76 said:

Terrifier 3 was well worth the money. There's not a crazier kill than the bedroom scene, but some gnarly ass kills overall. The story was fun, too.

You mean the bedroom scene in Terrifier 2?

Heretic is the movie I watched in the theater that had the most audible sounds of audience dread I’ve ever heard. It was really a unique theater experience and I love how it and Midsommar take you on this ever dizzying and ever speeding up horror rollercoaster that eventually flies off the rails at the end.

Oh also I am team Terrifier though currently annoyed that the Alamos here are only playing 3 at their locations farthest from me.

Made the mistake of watching an Instagram reel claiming Skinamarink (on Hulu) was one of the scariest movies ever made based on viewers heart rate increasing while watching it. Was one of the worst movies I’ve seen in awhile. There’s about 2 minutes of suspense in the parents bedroom and at the very end. The rest of the movies if just a bunch of background noise, weird camera angles and cartoon music. I’ll stick to recommendations in this forum from Fud and Wu-Tang.

On 10/7/2024 at 6:29 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Tried to watch Fall, but ended up freaking out.  Skip the spoiler if you want to avoid a sad story.  I don't want to derail the thread.

Hide contents

At the beginning of the movie, a mountain climber has an accident and falls to his death in front of, what I presume to be, the main character.  I stopped watching after this scene because I had horrible visions running through my head.  A few years ago, a friend of my daughter died in a climbing accident.  They played soccer together for several years.  She was a very sweet girl from a nice family.  From what I can gather, she had made it to the top and was leaning back to repel/climb down when she fell.  The rope that was supposed to hold her was not tied on properly, so there was a moment where she leaned back and just kept going.  Awful image for me because of knowing her and my fear of falling.  

https://www.sevendaysvt.com/arts-culture/a-rock-climbers-death-highlights-dangers-of-an-increasingly-popular-sport-8971182

Fall made me squirm almost the entire flick. I hate heights.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Made the mistake of watching an Instagram reel claiming Skinamarink (on Hulu) was one of the scariest movies ever made based on viewers heart rate increasing while watching it. Was one of the worst movies I’ve seen in awhile. There’s about 2 minutes of suspense in the parents bedroom and at the very end. The rest of the movies if just a bunch of background noise, weird camera angles and cartoon music. I’ll stick to recommendations in this forum from Fud and Wu-Tang.

My review from when I watched it

"Skinamarink- I checked out of this movie almost immediately. This has a cult following, but I can’t recommend this low budget avant garde horror movie, although I tip my cap to the notoriety/hype it received for such a small and experimental movie"

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/14/2024 at 5:05 AM, jetsfan76 said:

Yeah, that one was crazy over the top. This one wasn't afraid to step over the line, but nothing like bleach & salt.

Spoiler

the woman furiously stabbing her snatch with broken glass as she came blood?  the chainsaw to the ass and nuts?  you’re telling me terrifier 2 is more over the top than that?

watched terrifier 3 last night; have not seen any of the others.  is this movie kind of stand-alone in terms of gore or are there a bunch of movies like this that I haven’t seen?  good lord.