Halloween/Horror Movie Thread

SimonBolivar

34 minutes ago, futureman said:
  Reveal hidden contents

the woman furiously stabbing her snatch with broken glass as she came blood?  the chainsaw to the ass and nuts?  you’re telling me terrifier 2 is more over the top than that?

watched terrifier 3 last night; have not seen any of the others.  is this movie kind of stand-alone in terms of gore or are there a bunch of movies like this that I haven’t seen?  good lord.

Art started out in All Hallows Eve, but it wasn't all about him. Terrifier was a nice, old school grindhouse type horror with an awesome hacksaw scene. Terrifier 2 ramped that up to infinity with the bedroom scene, but the lore of Art & Sienna was explored. David Howard Thornton is a master of mannerisms & miming.

Strange Darling

Got damn what a cool movie.  The backing sound and soundtrack were awesome. Tarantino style presentation.  The "twist" if you can call it that is obvious but it didn't take away from the entertainment.   

4 bags of popcorn, recommend. 

Finally saw Immaculate.   How fucking cool was it that this movie and First Omen came out back to back?

Sweeney is awesome, we gotta get a of her in Longhorn gear.  Suspenseful, great throwback, and while brutal they still held back..

I think I liked The First Omen better but Def watch both if you watch one or the other. 

• Like 1

Love Hereditary.  Here's a cool YT video on the music and how it nails the end of the movie.

This is very cool. Hereditary is my all time #1 is this is from a guy that has way too much free time and has watched pretty much everything horror has to offer.

Only horror movie theater experience I’ve had close to that was Blair Witch Project opening weekend. That was fun.

We watched Insidious and Sleepy Hollow last night. Never saw Insidious before and it was really good. The damn demon over his shoulder when the mom is talking was great. Patrick Wilson really has the protagonist in a horror film role down well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Okay, little sidetrack. I’ve never been a horror guy. But love to read plot synopses and summaries. But I feel like I’m missing out by being a scared-y cat. So I've decided I'm going in and would love some suggestions on training wheels on up. Where should I start? What movies are so good that you fell in love with it?

I have seen the following:
- some of the cheesier old slashers FT13th, Chucky, Candyman (thought that last one was scary)
- Shining
- original Exorcist
- Blair Witch Project (also scary)

I've also cherry picked a few scenes from Midsommar, Terrifier 2 and a few others.

Where do I go next?

43 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

Okay, little sidetrack. I’ve never been a horror guy. But love to read plot synopses and summaries. But I feel like I’m missing out by being a scared-y cat. So I've decided I'm going in and would love some suggestions on training wheels on up. Where should I start? What movies are so good that you fell in love with it?

I have seen the following:
- some of the cheesier old slashers FT13th, Chucky, Candyman (thought that last one was scary)
- Shining
- original Exorcist
- Blair Witch Project (also scary)

I've also cherry picked a few scenes from Midsommar, Terrifier 2 and a few others.

Where do I go next?

What is it that scares you? Jump scares? Supernatural stuff? Based on what you've said, I'd consider this list:

• Paranormal Activity (found footage, scary mostly b/c of vibes and not so much because of actual imagery)
  • Hereditary (supernatural horror, Toni Colette being a queen)
  • Carrie (the original)
  • Shaun of the Dead (British zombie spoof)
  • Ready or Not (wedding night from hell; also pretty comedic)
  • Barbarian (Air BnB from hell; pretty good change-up in the middle)

Let me know what you think of this and what you're into/not into and I can provide more recs. I'm not super into slashers so the others can give you more direction there.

• Like 2

What is it that scares you? Jump scares? Supernatural stuff? Based on what you've said, I'd consider this list:
  • Paranormal Activity (found footage, scary mostly b/c of vibes and not so much because of actual imagery)
  • Hereditary (supernatural horror, Toni Colette being a queen)
  • Carrie (the original)
  • Shaun of the Dead (British zombie spoof)
  • Ready or Not (wedding night from hell; also pretty comedic)
  • Barbarian (Air BnB from hell; pretty good change-up in the middle)
Let me know what you think of this and what you're into/not into and I can provide more recs. I'm not super into slashers so the others can give you more direction there.

Good list. I actually saw Shaun of the Dead and loved it. I think I also watched part of Ready or Not on a plane or something. Might revisit.

Maybe I am gravitating more toward the comedy horror genre.

I don’t love gore or torture stuff. But it doesn’t “scare” me necessarily. I watched all the Terrifier 2 kills on a YouTube video and that was as much blood as one could cram into those scenes and wasn’t too phased by it (bedroom scene was intense).

Jump scares I think are what mostly get me and things like Paranormal Activity just seem to be all suspense between jump scares.

I feel I also need to watch Chainsaw Massacre just because Texas.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

I feel I also need to watch Chainsaw Massacre just because Texas

Almost zero gore in that film. Possibly the greatest horror film ever made. It has some dark humor. If you like comedy, watch Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2. You also get Dennis Hopper chewing up scenery.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

Good list. I actually saw Shaun of the Dead and loved it. I think I also watched part of Ready or Not on a plane or something. Might revisit.

Maybe I am gravitating more toward the comedy horror genre.

I don’t love gore or torture stuff. But it doesn’t “scare” me necessarily. I watched all the Terrifier 2 kills on a YouTube video and that was as much blood as one could cram into those scenes and wasn’t too phased by it (bedroom scene was intense).

Jump scares I think are what mostly get me and things like Paranormal Activity just seem to be all suspense between jump scares.

I feel I also need to watch Chainsaw Massacre just because Texas.

I love horror comedy - it's a great way to ease into the genre. A few other recs in that vein:

• Tucker and Dale vs Evil
  • The Cabin in the Woods
  • Bodies Bodies Bodies
  • Freaky
  • Happy Death Day
  • Final Girls
  • X
  • Jennifer's Body
  • Like 1

[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]" timestamp="[emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]]]]]" name="austingirl" userid="[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]]"] I love horror comedy - it's a great way to ease into the genre. A few other recs in that vein:
  • Tucker and Dale vs Evil
  • The Cabin in the Woods
  • Bodies Bodies Bodies
  • Freaky
  • Happy Death Day
  • Final Girls
  • X
  • Jennifer's Body

“Bloody Hell” should be on this list.

Drag Me To Hell - this kind of kitschy, Sam Raimi comedy horror just doesn’t do it for me. I’m not in suspense, I’m not scared and I’m not laughing, so I don’t get the point. I know it’s blasphemous, but I feel the same way about Evil Dead II. Just not my jam.

Apartment 7A - my wife requested this. Boring and uninteresting.

Trap- I thought the first part of the movie was kind of bad, but the rest was good, so I kind of wonder if it was on purpose. Seemed like the movie was a vehicle to showcase M Night's daughter 

The Queen of Black Magic- solid foreign horror movie. Doesn't necessarily need to be on your must-watch list, but you also won't be pissed that you watched it 

On 10/3/2024 at 4:09 PM, hookemATL said:

Welp this movie is super fucked up and awesome. Didn’t have topless chick sawed in half from vagina to skull on my bingo card. 

And somehow he did it in 10 seconds with a handsaw. Hmmmm...

I'm gonna watch 2, but the first one didn't really impress me at all. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/23/2024 at 8:24 AM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Drag Me To Hell - this kind of kitschy, Sam Raimi comedy horror just doesn’t do it for me. I’m not in suspense, I’m not scared and I’m not laughing, so I don’t get the point. I know it’s blasphemous, but I feel the same way about Evil Dead II. Just not my jam.

Apartment 7A - my wife requested this. Boring and uninteresting.

thomas middleditch film GIF by Entanglement

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

Overlord- wolfenstein, but a movie 

Overlord is awesome

4 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Drag Me to Hell has never been considered a comedy horror, so it makes sense that you weren't laughing.

It’s not Shaun of the Dead or Scary Movie, but there is absolutely a significant amount of intended comedy (particularly in overall tone and presentation), just like in Evil Dead II, etc. And plenty of contemporary writing comments on it as such.