Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

• 1 month later...

I don’t understand why restaurants and diners etc. don’t serve breakfast all day long. It’s not some massive shift in cookware or skillset to fry up some eggs and bacon or sausage and make some toast, is it?

I had a fantastic breakfast at a TGIFridays in an airport the other day because they simply prepared the above. It was better than anything they usually serve during regular hours and menu and something I’d actually order (whereas now I have never willingly gone to a tgifridays outside of an airport I don’t think ever).

why do restaurants act like making breakfast is so hard that they can’t be bothered by it after 11am? If I want to pay $25 for something I can make myself at home for $10, just let me.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MinerProphet said:

I don’t understand why restaurants and diners etc. don’t serve breakfast all day long. It’s not some massive shift in cookware or skillset to fry up some eggs and bacon or sausage and make some toast, is it?

I had a fantastic breakfast at a TGIFridays in an airport the other day because they simply prepared the above. It was better than anything they usually serve during regular hours and menu and something I’d actually order (whereas now I have never willingly gone to a tgifridays outside of an airport I don’t think ever).

why do restaurants act like making breakfast is so hard that they can’t be bothered by it after 11am? If I want to pay $25 for something I can make myself at home for $10, just let me.

dc56d8d6-b031-4b9b-a496-26008405f2c8_tex

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

5 hours ago, MinerProphet said:

Sir, this is a Wendy's the unpopular opinions thread. Popular opinions thread doesn't exist, as far as I know. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/10/2024 at 6:31 AM, MinerProphet said:

Yeah, it kind of is. Most restaurants also switch up the organization of the kitchen for efficiency from breakfast to lunch/dinner.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/10/2024 at 1:31 PM, MinerProphet said:

Breakfast is good everywhere because over easy or fried eggs can never be vacuum packed, they have to be cracked fresh. And because you cannot screw up bacon cooked on a griddle.

But once you’re in the lunch rush and trying to crank out pre-formed patties or chicken breasts on a griddle, then introducing eggs into the rhythm is absolutely going to mess up the flow.  

On 10/11/2024 at 7:50 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

Margins can be shit too, unless people will pay $15+ for bacon eggs and toast 

Have you eaten breakfast in a restaurant the last 5 years? It's easily a $20+ experience for things you can cook at home for $4 unit cost.

58 minutes ago, MinerProphet said:

Have you eaten breakfast in a restaurant the last 5 years? It's easily a $20+ experience for things you can cook at home for $4 unit cost.

Still upset with Enchiladas y Mas getting rid of their breakfast tacos and changing hours from 7am to 11 am opening.  There was simply no profit on coffee and $3 breakfast tacos, and their customer base wasn't going to accept a 50-100% price increase.

Edited by ChickenSandwich

On 10/12/2024 at 4:22 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

Breakfast is good everywhere because over easy or fried eggs can never be vacuum packed, they have to be cracked fresh. And because you cannot screw up bacon cooked on a griddle.

But once you’re in the lunch rush and trying to crank out pre-formed patties or chicken breasts on a griddle, then introducing eggs into the rhythm is absolutely going to mess up the flow. 

That only works if you assume the breakfast order is less frequent than any other lunch or dinner dish, where the restaurant is structured to only cranking out burgers and breasts.

Surely they have some duds on the menu that equally mess up the flow. And then some dishes themselves have eggs in it, so it's not the eggs themselves that's the problem.

I think they simply don't expect people to order breakfast.

1 minute ago, tbone_ said:

Hooters hasn’t had any girls that look like that working there in 25 years

What a coincidence.  I haven't been to a Hooters in about 25 years.  Well, except for the one in the basement of the Frankfurt airport, which I went to during a long layover in about 2011.  That was a mistake.  

• Like 1

What a coincidence.  I haven't been to a Hooters in about 25 years.  Well, except for the one in the basement of the Frankfurt airport, which I went to during a long layover in about 2011.  That was a mistake.  

I could see that going to either extreme, total mistake or wildly successful.
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

17 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I could see that going to either extreme, total mistake or wildly successful.

Definitely the former.  Not a single buxom fraulein that is usually depicted in Oktoberfest galleries.  That's what I was hoping for.  Instead, there was one surly hefty corn-fed frau in a shirt two sizes too small.