Surly Dad Thread

BigDHornfan

• 2 weeks later...
Can someone learn me on formula? Which is best? Why? I'm looking more for nitty gritty on the formulas and not really a cost analysis of why.
A bit late, but we use Enfamil throughout for both kids.

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Update on the daughter in London: she got a job offer (decent pay, shitty type of job that wouldn’t really put her on track for what she wants to do), and turned it down. She changed her search focus, and went at it hard for another month. She just got and is accepting an offer that will use her language skills (she’ll be covering German-speaking markets, she’s based in London, but her team is based in Sweden). The pay…ain’t much. She’ll live off of ramen and such, but that’s how it’s supposed to be.
The important thing is that she’s getting a start; just getting that momentum is huge. And also…she did this. She moved to a new country and city. She did the legwork, for months.
She is brave. She is scared. But she is brave. And I love her so damned much.

This is great news, and I’m pretty damn impressed with her taking this on so far away from home.

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Night 1 down, the couch they have at this hospital isn’t bad. Not much sleep with all the medical equipment sounds and staff in and out all night but I pieced together 3-4 solid hours. 

Hang in there, the hospital is rough with them coming in frequently to wake up your wife and baby to check vitals. I think I slept maybe 4 hours for the next 36 hours after my daughter was born lol. 

Congrats on the safe and healthy delivery! 

7 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Hang in there, the hospital is rough with them coming in frequently to wake up your wife and baby to check vitals. I think I slept maybe 4 hours for the next 36 hours after my daughter was born lol. 

Congrats on the safe and healthy delivery! 

They started inducement process last night and administered cervidil to soften the cervix and I think they’ll start pitocin later this morning after the 12 hours of cervidil 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

They started inducement process last night and administered cervidil to soften the cervix and I think they’ll start pitocin later this morning after the 12 hours of cervidil 

Welp. I'll keep the bubbly on ice for y'all then 😅 

Y'all are in good hands, and you're just hours away from meeting your baby! When my wife started pitocin we had our daughter in our arms about 12 hours later

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Captainant said:

When my wife started pitocin we had our daughter in our arms about 12 hours later

Same here for both kids who were past their due dates. Pitocin at about 7:30am or so, babies came out 12 hours later. And after that adrenaline keeping me going the next few days with about 4 hours of sleep. 

It’s all a blur now, but looking back I loved that time of my life.

Edited by South Austin

Posted (edited)

Alternatively...

Wife was 12 days past due date.  Started pitocin, baby's heart rate would spike any time she laid on her left side, so that was banned.  Epidural maybe 7 or 8 hours later couldn't give full coverage because she could lay on that side.  12 hours in, she was only at 4cm so they decided to go C-section (FYI - C-section with a hot spot is apparently not pleasant).  turns out the cord was around his neck.  The got him over to the side table, no cry.  Team member had an ET tube in his hand when he finally cried out.  Probably wasn't 10 seconds, but felt like an hour.  First APGAR was low single digits.  It probably didn't help that the fucker was 9 pounds 15 ounces.  Healthy as a horse!  Lifted his head up off my shoulder and looked my direction the first night!

My point is every time is different.  Buckle up, enjoy the moments you can and treat Momma like the queen she is today!

Edited by SurlyGator
  • Hook 'Em 4

For our 4th kid my wife was more than done with natural childbirth, she went for the epidural.  Doc fucked it up and only blocked one side.  Stitching up afterwards was a new adventure in pain.  That asshole still billed us something like $8K.

Good luck and god bless.

On a more cranky note---any of you dads in Central Texas seeing this spike in 'Bacterial Walking Pneumonia' in any of your youngsters of their camps/sports/friends?  We think our 5yo likely got it at her swim class last week because all the kids cough on one another in the little shallow area they practice in.  She was doing better a few days ago, but apparently this thing lingers like a mother-fucker.  But now on Day 8.  Lethargy, loss of appetite, coughs are pretty dry but about 2-3 spells per minute.  And temp oscillates between 99.5-102.5.  We're picking up a different antibiotic today, but shit-this is rougher on her than Covid.  Anyway, watch out for kids coughing on your kids for the next few weeks.  This is literally worse on children than Covid.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Good luck and god bless.

On a more cranky note---any of you dads in Central Texas seeing this spike in 'Bacterial Walking Pneumonia' in any of your youngsters of their camps/sports/friends?  We think our 5yo likely got it at her swim class last week because all the kids cough on one another in the little shallow area they practice in.  She was doing better a few days ago, but apparently this thing lingers like a mother-fucker.  But now on Day 8.  Lethargy, loss of appetite, coughs are pretty dry but about 2-3 spells per minute.  And temp oscillates between 99.5-102.5.  We're picking up a different antibiotic today, but shit-this is rougher on her than Covid.  Anyway, watch out for kids coughing on your kids for the next few weeks.  This is literally worse on children than Covid.  

Happened with nephew a few weeks ago, in Austin. It's out there 

Yeah, as dads...we're always hearing "Seems like there's something going around out there when it's just two gals gossiping in the driveway.  But when two prominent Austin pediatricians we take real serious tell us they're having to postpone before-school year well checks because of the volume of Bacterial Pneumonia cases they're having to prioritize and it seems worse than Covid for munchkins...I take note.  She's doing a bit better today, got started on some new anti-biotic yesterday.  

There's always gonna be bacterial exchanges between kids, they have to toughen up immune system and all that.  But it's just especially tough watching your little one coughing up a lung while playing outside, sweating profusely due to the heat.  We may have to cancel our last trip of the summer, which I don't mind---but the kids are really looking forward to it.  Shit happens, plans change, I get it.  Just always tough as the Dad who have to make the awkward family announcement without making the sick one feel bad about something she had no control over.  Plus she can't do any of her inside camps for the last week and probably another two weeks.  

Anyway, hard to believe but our back-to school/roundup/meet the teacher night is just 4 weeks from Monday.  Tell that to your kids if you wanna depress them.  God willing, we'll all be well by then.  

Pro tip-if you want something outside to do in the morning with the little ones before it gets hot out and you can't get into the pool because they don't need any more shit in their lungs---this weekend is the Faerie Garden at Zilker Botanical Gardens.  It's actually really cool for girls and boys under 12.  Any dads have recs on fun shit to do outside for the next two weeks around Austin that doesn't involve liquids, take all my rep.  She's old enough now to realize she's kinda "missing out" on her first big kid summer and it makes me bummed out.  /rant 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just got done with a round of ear infection for my eldest then strep for my 3yo. Fortunately quick recoveries, but there is def lots of icky going around (confirmed by pediatrician). Summer sick fucking sucks. 

2 hours ago, NoName said:

Happened with nephew a few weeks ago, in Austin. It's out there 

Don't know if it's the same strain kids are getting, but my wife was diagnosed with bacterial pneumonia a couple of months back.  Tons of coughing, and it lasted ~ 3 weeks.

I think it's a little different in kids from what I gleaned from the physicians.  She's over a week into it, but they it's not out of the question that it overall lasts 2-3 weeks.  We hate giving her prescription drugs, but buckled yesterday and got the antibiotic that they're now finding good luck with.  Off-setting it some People's Pharmacy probiotics.  Just sucks when you have fun stuff as a Dad to do with your kids during the summer and actually have a little time, and then they get this sick.  She knows she's missing out on stuff, that's the gut-wrenching part.  But I suppose I'll blink and one day I'll remember her little cough and miss it almost.  

It's hard for them to understand they still have their whole lives ahead of them and 10-15 more school summer breaks.  

Remember to hug your daughters extra tonight.  and if they cough on you, clean your face with a Chlorox wipe.  

Congrats, man!  Yeah, with our first one-they hold them up so one of the nurses can take a quick photo.  But that long walk to the little warming deal and their eyes to start to warm up and you can literally the new air fill their little lungs.  It's an amazing process, but damn if your heart rate doesn't double, your butt clench, and you yourself don't take a breath for 3 minutes.  

You probably already did this, but it was also fun when I got to scrub in and help give baby her first bath.  Then you take off all the gear and get to start making phone calls to grandparents.  Or I guess in your case, post on Surly ;)  We'll leave you to it---a lactation consultant should be coming by in a few to see about baby's feeding.  And dammit when they show how to swaddle properly, pay attention!

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Congrats, man!  Yeah, with our first one-they hold them up so one of the nurses can take a quick photo.  But that long walk to the little warming deal and their eyes to start to warm up and you can literally the new air fill their little lungs.  It's an amazing process, but damn if your heart rate doesn't double, your butt clench, and you yourself don't take a breath for 3 minutes.  

You probably already did this, but it was also fun when I got to scrub in and help give baby her first bath.  Then you take off all the gear and get to start making phone calls to grandparents.  Or I guess in your case, post on Surly ;)  We'll leave you to it---a lactation consultant should be coming by in a few to see about baby's feeding.  And dammit when they show how to swaddle properly, pay attention!

We’re doing delayed bath of 8+ hours so that will be this afternoon. We have a good long hour of skin to skin for him and momma

Congratulations!

Speaking of illnesses, the wife, who works at Dell, said the new Covid strain is no joke. So that's fun. I regularly get updates on horrifying illnesses and injuries I never even thought to worry about.

We're just entering the 3rd trimester for our 2nd boy. The 2 year-old's favorite phrase currently is "No Dada, get back." I've got, what, 3 years of white-knuckling it and just trying to survive?

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

And dammit when they show how to swaddle properly, pay attention!

Blanket swaddles are for suckers - we've been loving having a sleep sack that we can zip up and unzip from the bottom to change a diaper without getting her all unswaddled

The HALO Swaddles in particular were great for a nice snug-but-not-too-tight hold that she couldn't wriggle out of

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Nothing quite like teaching your older child how to parallel park and you're both sitting in the car parked on the curb watching a video to help her understand the process better and then you hear a crash which is your neighbor who just backed out of his driveway into your driver's side front panel. At least we're both fine and the damage is fixable. But what are the odds? I told her previously that she should prepare herself to be in some form of an accident given how shitty people drive in this city. I didn't think it would happen before she even got her license. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Rage+1 1

12 hours ago, mdmost said:

I told her previously that she should prepare herself to be in some form of an accident given how shitty people drive in this city. 

I should introduce you to our oldest.  She got into two accidents the day she got her license.  First, she creased her door in an HEB parking lot trying to pull in between two cars, but her angle wasn't steep enough.  Then a couple of hours later she was going north on Congress, and had just crossed the bridge to turn left on Cesar Chavez, but turned across southbound traffic and got t-boned, as the light was green but not a green arrow.

She's not much better now.  Maybe she should write a memoir.

• Haha 1

My son starts 8U flag football today.  He's been excited. We've been throwing and running routes in the AM to give him some practice.  He's gotten a lot better in the last 3 weeks.  

We are at his 1st practice now and it's 103.  I've told him what to expect and that it's gonna be hard and hot. He's been hydrating all day.

We got to practice and he was so excited. First couple water breaks he's liking it.  3rd water break he comes over complaining and wants to stay in the shade.  

Nope homeboy. The only way out is through. He's learning some things about himself right now.

Ultimately I don't care if he ends up playing football or not. I care that he has to do hard things

Another dad I was talking to said he felt like the dad's in Varsity Blues.  And then we talked about the whip cream bikini for about 10 seconds.  

varsity-dads.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2