Surly Dad Thread

BigDHornfan

32 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I know that, and I am happy for her, and she's always been an incredibly intelligent and confident old soul, so I know she'll be fine.  But it's still hurting right now.

I dread this day. It's 10 years away and I am already dreading it. My entire life revolves around my girls. I love very hard and very deep. I have almost thought it to be better to begin loosening my grip so I don't hurt so bad when the time comes to say goodbye, but I am incapable of that at the moment, which is a good thing. Maybe I will feel differently when they are in High School, but the thought of them "leaving forever" is a dark place that I don't like to visit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Question about strollers...

We currently have the Doona that we got as a gift at the baby shower. We're currently searching for a travel type stroller to use after he grows out of the Doona at roughly 1 year old. Our idea is to maybe take advantage of a Black Friday or Cyber Monday deal with the following stroller:

https://a.co/d/5f5PMra

image.thumb.png.4c0d43d762fd7a99ae53829b98595b33.png

Do yall have any opinions? 

I can’t comment specifically on that, I assume it collapses for travel and has features like that. I do have an uppababy cruz or vista or whatever the one child version is called and am happy with it midway through child #2’s use of it.

IMG_9807.thumb.jpeg.49ce14a80b265fc36671a64de7d4b6dd.jpeg

that one is nice because it fits his car seat as well. So I fold the base up and throw it in the back of my truck a lot when we go run around. My sister had the two kid version, i know she liked it well enough.

I did not enjoy the little baby phase with this guy enough - it’s just been such a difficult time for a lot of reasons. But he’s becoming a dude and I’m realizing how fast it is going by. He’s already fixing to walk. I love the bond he and his sister are making -

IMG_9816.thumb.jpeg.7d152975747c31a3fbf1ec4a45606ae6.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

We currently have the Doona that we got as a gift at the baby shower. We're currently searching for a travel type stroller to use after he grows out of the Doona at roughly 1 year old. Our idea is to maybe take advantage of a Black Friday or Cyber Monday deal with the following stroller:

We have this stroller and a Doona (THANK YOU, extremely generous extended family!!!), and they're both great. Definitely invest in the $40 add-on to click your car seat onto the stroller (they've got accessories for all the major car seat brands), it's been great for us. 

It collapses down to be pretty small and can fit in the footwell between the back seat and my front seat if I wedge it in a little. 

My 3rd grade daughter told me Friday that she has her 1st boyfriend.  I asked her a bunch of questions trying to be supportive because she is excited while not voicing my fatherly displeasure. 

I tried not to make it weird but apparently I did.  At least that's what my wife told me.  I still remember her looking at me in the hospital. I was really the 1st person she noticed.  I remember  so many things about her being a little girl and now this is a milestone that has suckered punched me more than I was expecting. 

We talked and I told her if she's happy I'm happy but she's always gonna be my little girl. 

Being 8 years old they'll probably break up today. Whatever happens, I am not a fan of her growing up at all.

My son also a 3rd grader has decided he needs a girlfriend and spent this weekend making roses out  of construction paper.  He's goin a courtin today. 

I told him that the girl he likes may not like him back and he said that's fine I'll just ask someone else.  He's the personification of "shooters shoot".  I wish I had 10% of his confidence. 

Unsurprisingly I have a much different reaction to him having a girlfriend.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, The Royal We said:

It guts me to think about only having 3.5 more years of my oldest living with us. Fuck.

If you do it right, they never really leave. oh sure, they may move to a fancy apartment on the upper east side of Manhattan but they will call you every single day to tell you about their day, they will come home several times per year, you will see them whenever you travel, you will go on vacations together, they will ask you for advice on everything, and come home for the holidays. its almost like they never left... 

We have 1 in NY, 1 in Va, and 3 in Austin. I think we are busier with them now than before. If you do it right, it doesn't matter how far you drive them and drop them off, somehow, some way, they find their way back home. 😜

• Hook 'Em 3

23 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If you go down this path make sure you get the new uppababy trifold one, not sure if that's it or they just announced a v3? The new one fits in an overhead bin. Uppababy is awesome but you pay through the nose new.

You can often get way way way better deals on second hand ones through FB marketplace. Our Vista came from a guy in Austin area who basically buys them second hand, refreshed and sells em on FB as a side hustle. 

How often are you going to honestly be using it? If it's like 4x a year just rent one where you are going and keep from having to carry all the baby shit plus that.

For us we just bit the bullet and packed a normal size one in back of the car if it was a drive.

21 hours ago, Post Oak said:

My 3rd grade daughter told me Friday that she has her 1st boyfriend.  I asked her a bunch of questions trying to be supportive because she is excited while not voicing my fatherly displeasure. 

I tried not to make it weird but apparently I did.  At least that's what my wife told me.  I still remember her looking at me in the hospital. I was really the 1st person she noticed.  I remember  so many things about her being a little girl and now this is a milestone that has suckered punched me more than I was expecting. 

We talked and I told her if she's happy I'm happy but she's always gonna be my little girl. 

Being 8 years old they'll probably break up today. Whatever happens, I am not a fan of her growing up at all.

My son also a 3rd grader has decided he needs a girlfriend and spent this weekend making roses out  of construction paper.  He's goin a courtin today. 

I told him that the girl he likes may not like him back and he said that's fine I'll just ask someone else.  He's the personification of "shooters shoot".  I wish I had 10% of his confidence. 

Unsurprisingly I have a much different reaction to him having a girlfriend.

My 2 year-old has 2 girlfriends in daycare. Sometimes the apple does fall far from the tree.

• Haha 1

On 9/24/2024 at 4:20 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

On 9/24/2024 at 4:58 PM, Da Fino said:

Yoyo travel stroller. 

Babyzen yoyo is the best stroller in the world. No question. We had a cybex twizy swapped for a yoyo. Ridiculously easy to fold and unfold. Fits on airplane overhead (all the airport staff recognize it as a compatible stroller). Pivots and rolls and handles very well. Etc etc. 

1 minute ago, 52-80 said:

Babyzen yoyo is the best stroller in the world. No question. We had a cybex twizy swapped for a yoyo. Ridiculously easy to fold and unfold. Fits on airplane overhead (all the airport staff recognize it as a compatible stroller). Pivots and rolls and handles very well. Etc etc. 

How is it in terms of like an everyday type stroller on bumpy terrain such as rural texas?

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

How is it in terms of like an everyday type stroller on bumpy terrain such as rural texas?

Ive rolled it on grass and light dirt trails and its fine. The first order determinant of how well things roll over obstacle is tire size, and it should be sized similar to portable strollers. 

theres good leverage on the frame at the handlebar and the turning seems better than the travel cybex

After several failed lunch or dinner attempts, I finally got to go to lunch with my oldest and his wife.   They have been vacationing what seemed to be more than usual.  Today they told me why; it seems I'm to be a an Opa.  Wow! that's a new one. I haven't told the wife yet, I'll let them do it.  It's their news.  

• Like 1

Youngest daughter (no pics) decided not to play soccer or run cross-country in college, much to my wife's (no pics) chagrin.  Didn't tryout for the club team her first year, so I though she was done outside of playing indoor over the breaks.  A couple weeks ago, she tried out for and made the college club team.  She seems really happy about it since she loves the sport but was tired of the pressure of playing on highly competitive teams.  Luckily, she's close enough to catch some games.  They rolled both teams I've seen them play - St. Eds 15-0 and TAMU Galveston 9-0.  Tulane and Rice are apparently the tough teams in their group and they play Tulane this Saturday.  I happily passed up tickets to the Texas game so I could watch her play.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Jerry Callo said:

Youngest daughter (no pics) decided not to play soccer or run cross-country in college, much to my wife's (no pics) chagrin.  Didn't tryout for the club team her first year, so I though she was done outside of playing indoor over the breaks.  A couple weeks ago, she tried out for and made the college club team.  She seems really happy about it since she loves the sport but was tired of the pressure of playing on highly competitive teams.  Luckily, she's close enough to catch some games.  They rolled both teams I've seen them play - St. Eds 15-0 and TAMU Galveston 9-0.  Tulane and Rice are apparently the tough teams in their group and they play Tulane this Saturday.  I happily passed up tickets to the Texas game so I could watch her play.

That's really cool.  My son passed on the UT club team -- the time commitment is pretty significant, and he's having to work his ass off on coursework as it is.

I will say this, those guys are good.  I watched a few of his workouts with the team before he decided to drop it and I have no doubt they are D1 level players.  Maybe "lower", can't say, but some of those club sports are serious.

On 9/24/2024 at 9:20 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

We spent way too much time researching travel strollers.  We wound up going with the Zoe Traveler.

https://zoebaby.com/products/the-traveler?srsltid=AfmBOoqkATLvvJvV7XWjZj2aqI0XRHp-1ElN1lq8N0Ez9dsZlL4_xZ50

We’ve flown with it several times and taken it on some road trips to see family. Fits in overhead on the plane and doesn’t take up much space in the trunk. Folds up quickly. Very reliable. And at $250, didn’t feel like we were breaking the bank for something that we pretty much only use when traveling.  We already have 3 other strollers, so this didn’t need to be tippy top of the line.  For that, yeah, the YoYo is pretty much the gold standard.

On 9/23/2024 at 4:54 PM, dcbc said:

Yes, we do.  Rec. Sports.  Div. 2.  South-central region.

It's been a fantastic way for my son to meet people.  No tryouts like in the 90s.  All are welcome to join, learn, and/or compete.  They use a private lake in Taylor called Frame Switch.  Boat and gear provided.  Dues are $350 per semester or $500 for the year.  They raise money to cover travel and hotels, etc.

He just went over a ski jump for the first time in last weekend's tournament.  He survived, which was my goal for him.  But it was a yard sale.

Snow ski trips in the winter.  Great group of people.  They are super-welcoming of people of all skill-levels.

Texas Water Ski Team

Long ago, a beer joint in Frame Switch sponsored what they called a “world championship ski competition” on that dredged pond.

It is just north of Frame Switch off 79 between Hutto & Taylor. 
Across from the huge new Samsung plant.

IMG_4152.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Long ago, a beer joint in Frame Switch sponsored what they called a “world championship ski competition” on that dredged pond.

It is just north of Frame Switch off 79 between Hutto & Taylor. 
Across from the huge new Samsung plant.

IMG_4152.jpeg

The beer joint is still there?

13 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

No - long gone since the 1990s

Well, that's a shame.  We were heading to that ULM tournament last weekend and watching old Bud Pro Tour Water Ski videos.  It was a big, and well-funded sport back in the 90s.

Edited by dcbc