Surly Dad Thread

BigDHornfan

On 8/10/2024 at 5:34 PM, Brisketexan said:

In London, visiting the daughter for the first time since she moved here. She’s got a job now (starts in a week). She’s grown up a whole lot. Living in a big-ass city like this has tested her. She doesn’t love the city, but she knows that about herself now. And, she’d figured out how to handle it.

We spent the day up in her hood, Hackney. Has a real Brooklyn feel to it, lots of immigrants too.

I’m really, really fucking proud of her.

My Brit friend, a life-long blue collar Londoner, read your post with interest. 
He admires her grit, but commented to me about location:

Hackney is not the nicest of neighbourhoods and so I hope she is careful, I would not want my daughter out at night there

Edited to add: Am not trying to be a downer, just thought a word of caution wouldn’t hurt since we know our young’uns feel invulnerable.

Edited by Armybrat

• 3 weeks later...

We're about a month away from the due date for #2. The wife has already had some legit contractions here and there, so not sure we're making it to 40 weeks. 

The 2 year-old is getting much more fun, but the toddler obstinance is really shining through at times. Some of his favorite phrases currently are...

"No, Dada. Get back!"

"Let go!"

"Go away, Dada!"

...and "Mine!"

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, hookem2010 said:

We're about a month away from the due date for #2. The wife has already had some legit contractions here and there, so not sure we're making it to 40 weeks. 

The 2 year-old is getting much more fun, but the toddler obstinance is really shining through at times. Some of his favorite phrases currently are...

"No, Dada. Get back!"

"Let go!"

"Go away, Dada!"

...and "Mine!"

It gets worse!

And then better. 

But first, it gets worse. 

Hang in there!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, hornian said:

It gets worse!

And then better. 

But first, it gets worse. 

Hang in there!

I remember thinking "man I can't wait until he's xxx age so he grows out of this bullshit." .. then he gets a little older, and you miss the old bullshit. Meanwhile every age comes with new and improved bullshit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/14/2024 at 1:30 PM, Armybrat said:

My Brit friend, a life-long blue collar Londoner, read your post with interest. 
He admires her grit, but commented to me about location:

Edited to add: Am not trying to be a downer, just thought a word of caution wouldn’t hurt since we know our young’uns feel invulnerable.

Yeah....that's the hood's reputation, which was earned over decades.  It has, ummm....turned.  There's still some leftover "element" there, but for a lot of Brits, when they say "not the nicest neighborhood," they mean "there's immigrants there."  And there are - her corner shops are heavily African, and when she realized she was out of toothpaste and ran round the corner to grap a tube, she got a tube of Crest with the label in arabic.  But....when we walked from our bus stop to a cafe near her house, we walked past flats with Audis and Porsches parked out front.  That hood is gentrifying like a mofo.  She's as "safe" out at night there as she is in most other parts of London: it's a big city, and you need to be aware of surroundings and such, but all-in-all, Hackney is pretty middle of the road from both her and our experience and observation.

Here's the scene at Hackney Wick -- pretty hipster-y:

hackney-wick-restaurants-copyright-ck-tr

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/2/2024 at 3:18 PM, hookem2010 said:

"No, Dada. Get back!"

"Let go!"

"Go away, Dada!"

...and "Mine!"

me silently to myself at the three year old as I try and stop the baby from crying

098e7736535b0b36a8b6b87bc361ad9a

yeah get ready for your shit to change sooner than later. I don't mean in the "it's so much harder with 2" way, I just mean in the "don't count on having all of those days before your shit gets fucked up" way. baby comin.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, hookem2010 said:

My 2nd is due to arrive a week before OU. The first OU game after my first son was born was 49-0, so I'm expecting big things. Will I be coherent enough from lack of sleep to follow the game? That remains to be seen.

So are we! One kid from you every year until the well dries up...

• Like 2

Quit acting like you don't own a pair of overalls and a red hat.  You can easily find both at a thrift store in the next couple hours.  Mustache would be easier at Halloween time.  But I'm guessing you could still find one at a craft store or toy store.  Workboots or cowboy boots.  I'm sure IRL you own a red shirt for Christmas or something, or again---get one at the thrift shop for $3.  White gloves can be bought anywhere, even a hardware store will have 'em in white.  The hat's gonna be tricky.  Not sure where you can that style that he wears, but I think a red ballcap would suffice.  
I've loved the Daddy-Daughter dances I've taken my oldest to, she just glows with excitement.  Next year, I get to take them both as the little one enters elementary school.  Enjoy it, because we'll blink and they're off to a prom dance while we sit home trying not to freak out in front of the wife and abstain from chugging a bottle of bourbon.  

Haven’t read this thread in a few months but…fuck. This is gonna happen for a long time.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Ten weeks to go. 
IMG_7701.thumb.jpeg.b46d8b2a4590e4086c617004d5c5de4f.jpeg
Don't be surprised if the wife decides to repaint that room before the baby comes - even a day before the baby comes.  We painted the whole baby's room green before she decided it was the wrong color green.  The only acceptable response from expecting dad - whatever you want.

We completely painted the room twice during her last week of pregnancy.

My middle-schooler was home sick last Friday (with the 'rona), but he had his school laptop and was doing something for his friends.  He mentioned having to add a GIF to a Google Slide, and he pronounced it like "Gift" and not like the creator prefers, which is "Jiff" (like the peanut butter).

I asked him if I heard correctly, that he said it like "gift" and he said he did, and I asked what his friends called those images, and he said "gifs" like "gifts".

I told him the creator prefers the pronunciation to be like "Jiff" and he said that sounded stupid.

Denzel Washington GIF

• Hook 'Em 2