Whatcha reading?

DocZaius

12 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I was on a cruise earlier this summer, so I figured I'd start the Aubrey-Maturin series.  I mean, when better to read that than when you're bouncing up and down on the waves?

I'm now on the fourth book, and it's really entertaining.  It's kind of if a Tom Clancy book were set in the Napoleonic Wars, with a scooch of Jane Eyre mixed in.

https://www.amazon.com/-/he/PatrickOBrian/dp/B009CV3T9W

I have this set, it looks great on the book shelf. No idea where I got it, because it wasn't $310. 

On 6/30/2024 at 11:26 AM, mdmost said:

Going to pivot away from another nautical themed non-fiction to a history of LA and old Hollywood. I've been wanting to find something that details that era and this seemed like the best fit. Since July is a long month, I'll go to the Endurance book if I get through this one quickly.

81XMk5cVuqL._SY522_.jpg

Finished this last night. It was pretty interesting. Broken into 3 subjects which were interspersed in subsequent chapters. The Engineer that brought water to LA to feed the growing need, while at the same pissing off the valley they were taking the water from. The Artist whose silent movies made Hollywood what it was until "talkies" took over. The Preacher who brought evanglism to LA. The last was fairly interesting because she was the inspiration for Sister Alice in the excellent first season of the HBO series Perry Mason. Overall, an enjoyable read. It wasn't quite what I was wanting but it was a good dive into early LA. I still need to find a golden age of Hollywood book but that wasn't the era this book was set in.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Just finished a classic of Indian literature, The Guide by R.K. Narayan. It's the life story of "Railway Raju", a shopkeeper/conman/tourist guide who earns wealth, status and prestige through his cunning and ambition, only to lose it all due to his greed and selfishness before reinventing himself as a spiritual guru and coming to terms with his past in his final days. The story takes place in Malgudi, a fictionalized version of the town of Mysore, and gives a nice picture of how people lived in South India during the pre- and post-Independence periods. Mysore goes from a sleepy town without a railway station to a bustling metropolis over the course of the story, in many ways mirroring Raju's own character development, before the story shifts to a dilapidated riverside temple in a rural village named 'Mangala' in the final act.

9780143039648.jpg

I just finished Hillbilly Elegy, and I thought it was a really good social commentary that made me re-think many of my perceptions as an elite born on 3rd base and married to a social worker.

I’ll reserve other opinions for CR, other than to say that he emerged from the rust belt with a surprisingly optimistic attitude in contrast to the Florida governor.

It wasn’t quite as enjoyable as Michelle Obama’s book, but then again, she had great family role models.

Just finished this and now it looks like it's gonna be a movie opening this fall.  Excellent book. Stellar cast fingers crossed.

If you've never read Robert Harris, he's pretty good. Ive read a few of his and enjoyed all of them.

9788804682189-us.jpg

The pope is dead. Behind the locked doors of the Sistine Chapel, one hundred and eighteen cardinals from all over the globe will gather to cast their votes in the world's most secretive election. They are holy men. But they are not immune to the human temptations of power and glory. And they are not above the tribalism and factionalism that consumes humanity. When all is said and done, one of them will become the most powerful spiritual figure on Earth. Is

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Endurance was so damn good. An amazing tale of survival and never giving up. I could not imagine having to endure those conditions and sense of hopelessness against those massive odds. Really happy I chose to read that.

I've been having good luck reading two books a month so I'm going to add a 2nd book. I have an idea for the first one which I've seen on here and wanted to try out.

Heard good things about this one:

81RWBdyovbL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

My 2nd book for the month will be based on the 65th release of one of my favorite albums on August 17th.

61+ArjjBTZL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/30/2024 at 6:50 AM, mdmost said:

Endurance was so damn good. An amazing tale of survival and never giving up. I could not imagine having to endure those conditions and sense of hopelessness against those massive odds. Really happy I chose to read that.

I've been having good luck reading two books a month so I'm going to add a 2nd book. I have an idea for the first one which I've seen on here and wanted to try out.

Heard good things about this one:

81RWBdyovbL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

I finished this in 2 days. Got through 112 pages on day 1 and the rest today. Might be the easiest, most efficient read I've ever done. It really has no proper place for you to stop except for when she sidebars with some historical backgrounds on nuclear weapons or tactics. An amazingly scary as hell read. I would highly recommend it but just know you're getting something very bleak. It read like a Tom Clancy novel about the end of the world. 

I need to look at another book to get on in the interim because I wasn't planning to read the Kind of Blue book until mid-August. 

Edited by mdmost

Recently finished Robert A. Heinlein's Friday. I'd never read one of his books before and it was available for cheap at the local bookstore, so I figured why not.

Untitled.png

It's a strange and engaging read, but the plot meanders for a while and eventually fizzles out towards the end. It's quite polemic, and Heinlein's befuddling mix of political views are reflected through the protagonist (pro-women and transgender rights, anti-racist, anti-abortion, anti-corporation, suspiciously pro-fascist, questionable views of rape, etc. etc.) The strength of the novel is Friday herself, a genetically engineered AP (artificial person) who is a very compelling protagonist despite her lengthy internal monologues. There's also lots of mega starships, faster-than-light travel, artificial life, and complicated polyamory for the sci-fi enthusiasts out there.

Only after reading the book did I learn that it's a sequel to an earlier Heinlein novel Gulf, written some thirty years earlier. Maybe I'll read it, maybe not.

Edited by satyanash

On 7/31/2024 at 9:23 PM, Post Oak said:

the-lost-city-of-z-9781398540668_lg.jpg

Im late to the party on Grann.  So far pretty good 

Enjoyed this one. Tied two storylines together well at the end. He's obviously a talented writer. 

Oh and you couldnt pay me to trek through the Brazilian rain forest

Pre-ordered this and read it in like 2 days. Like most of Hellers books, it's beautifully descriptive and really gets you in the feels. Unfortunately like some of his other books, the ending feels rushed and leaves you wanting more. Gave it 4/5 stars. 

Screenshot_20240818_203934_Goodreads.jpg.220c19e473545fe0fa7a53b0ee7f5f55.jpg

On 7/19/2024 at 8:02 PM, BearSchlong said:

I just finished Hillbilly Elegy, and I thought it was a really good social commentary that made me re-think many of my perceptions as an elite born on 3rd base and married to a social worker.

I’ll reserve other opinions for CR, other than to say that he emerged from the rust belt with a surprisingly optimistic attitude in contrast to the Florida governor.

It wasn’t quite as enjoyable as Michelle Obama’s book, but then again, she had great family role models.

I just bought this book and looking forward to reading it and making a judgment for myself.

Re-reading Hunter S. Thompson's "The Kentucky Derby is Decadent and Depraved".

It dawned on me while reading David Foster Wallace's "Consider the Lobster" that he was Gen X's flavor and version of the gonzo like the former, and I hadn't read it in a while. 

Just finished Watership Down. Highly recommended if you enjoy stories of cute little bunny rabbits suffering gruesome and violent deaths.

watership-down-9780684836058-hr.jpg

All jokes aside, the story is not only a great adventure, but allegorical for all sorts of things. The Aeneid, World War II, the fight against fascism, the birth of Zionism, the decision to drop the nuclear bomb, etc. are all reflected in the story's themes. And there's a ton of rabbit mythology and culture; Richard Adams even created a rabbit conlang to describe concepts germane to rabbits but foreign to humans.

Finished this. It was just ok.  I like Klosterman on Bill Simmons pod so I thought I'd give it a shot.  

I was born in 79 so the 90s are iny wheelhouse.

Klosterman has interesting ideas about Nirvana, the Gulf War, Bill Clinton etc and just drones on and on about them. I was worn out at the end. I wouldn't recommend it. I lost interest about halfway through.

Starting this tonight. 

91lUa7PChXL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_

• Hook 'Em 1

Finished Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy recently. Not the kind of book I read usually. This was published in 1983 I think, so before I was born. Had to keep reminding myself that a lot of what we accept as socially "normal" today was once considered radically progressive. Conroy has the rare ability to bring alive scenes, scenery and characters. Apparently a movie was made out of it which was nominated for 7 oscars. Will definitely check it out.

Would recommend if you love gritty family dramas with hard hitting story-lines and great writing. Could have been about 10% shorter but that is just me. This book should be known more widely, imo.

And oh yeah..there is that scene (iykyk, wont spoil it for you guys, but you've been warned)

30745422842-4095307994.thumb.jpg.a4566fada3427025a00100a82651e4e0.jpgpot.thumb.jpg.343f921567a3b55dc55404408498577d.jpg

4 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

Finished Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy recently. Not the kind of book I read usually. This was published in 1983 I think, so before I was born. Had to keep reminding myself that a lot of what we accept as socially "normal" today was once considered radically progressive. Conroy has the rare ability to bring alive scenes, scenery and characters. Apparently a movie was made out of it which was nominated for 7 oscars. Will definitely check it out.

Would recommend if you love gritty family dramas with hard hitting story-lines and great writing. Could have been about 10% shorter but that is just me. This book should be known more widely, imo.

And oh yeah..there is that scene (iykyk, wont spoil it for you guys, but you've been warned)

30745422842-4095307994.thumb.jpg.a4566fada3427025a00100a82651e4e0.jpgpot.thumb.jpg.343f921567a3b55dc55404408498577d.jpg

PoT the book wasn't nearly as sappy as the movie, I enjoyed it.  I've read just about everything Conroy wrote, he's great and goes down as one of my favorites.

If you weren't aware, he also wrote Lords of Discipline and The Great Santini.  Much of his work seems semi-autobiographical.  I think Conrack may be my favorite of his.

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

PoT the book wasn't nearly as sappy as the movie, I enjoyed it.  I've read just about everything Conroy wrote, he's great and goes down as one of my favorites.

If you weren't aware, he also wrote Lords of Discipline and The Great Santini.  Much of his work seems semi-autobiographical.  I think Conrack may be my favorite of his.

Yeah, looking forward to the movie. I really enjoyed Conroy's writing style and therefore researched his other books. The plots/stories themselves did not seem compelling to me from the reviews/blurbs but may ultimately read something just because on how much I enjoyed his writing style in PoT.

Finished The Emerald Mile by Kevin Fedarko recently. This book immediately became one of my all time favorites. Right up there with Into Thin Air and Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer. 

The cover says that it is about "The Epic Story of the Fastest Ride in History Through the Heart of the Grand Canyon". Correct. The story and characters in this book are absolutely epic. Is there anything more epic than the setting? The Grand Canyon and the Colorado river with historically high flows and the nuts who decide to set a speed record in a tiny wooden dory. However, this book is so much more than that. It is also about the history of the Colorado's exploration, the conservation movement, the Glen Canyon Dam, the subculture of the river guides, how rapids are formed and run, the mega flood of 1983 and how the Glen Canyon Dam almost failed. 

Spoiler

I still cant believe that the dam engineers used 4ft military grade plywood boards to artificially "raise" the height of the dam and buy themselves 24-48 hrs to prevent the overflow tunnel from failing and avoiding one the biggest ever man-made catastrophes.

This is a must read if you love adventure and narrative non-fiction or if you are mildly obsessed with the Grand Canyon (like I am), National Parks or Natural History. Once I started, it was very difficult to put his one down.

15803144.jpg.cba70baad90173755eec47009535a5ac.jpg 

Edited by horn_of_the_morning

On 8/10/2018 at 9:06 PM, wild_turkey said:

Just finished East of Eden. Holy hell that was a great book. Why have I never read Steinbeck before?

It really is fantastic.  My personal favorite is the Log from the Sea of Cortez, but you’re looking for a shorter, very different read, Cannery Row is worth it, as is its sequel Sweet Thursday, which isn’t quite as brilliant but still pretty pretty good.

Steinbeck is my favorite American writer, but I’m biased as I live a stones throw from his old house in pacific grove.