Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

5 minutes ago, wood said:

Maybe so, but I read it as CDC's resistance to UM eventually got him booted from the process, and that with Hartzell and the BoR/Eltife taking things over, that UM is back in play (i.e. the guy we want not being available til next Sunday). The 'guy we want' is Meyer, and he's not available until next Sunday.

I take it differently I guess in conjunction with previous posts over the last few days from CTJ that seem to be indicating we were likely out of it with UM (see below links).  There are others from him I think that also give a similar indication but this is plenty to show the direction he seems to be indicating.

See Last Paragraph

CTJ Again

The First Paragraph

This One Flat Out Says CTJ Has Heard Urban Is Gone

Frankly, I hope I'm wrong and UM is still the guy we get because I'm firmly in the UM or bust camp.  Too much sadness in life anymore for me to maintain interest in something that this program is such a chore to do so.  UM is the only hope I can hold out for making this program an enjoyable distraciton from life again.  I'll continue to hang out here in hopes of UM until there's some finality but right now I'm not hopeful.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

So as @closetojumping said earlier, the guy we want won’t be available till Sunday at the earliest. I’m going to assume it’s a college guy, if so it would mean it is one of the following who play in the CCG

Fickell- don’t see it

Saban- not going there

Dabo- no chance

Kelly- doubtful

Napier- think we are shooting higher

chadwell- see Napier 

Campbell- CTJ already said it’s not him

Day- no shot

Fitzgerald- no he’s staying at Northwestern

Riley- lol no

Just leaves Mullen IMO...yes please

i know it's outside the box.. but I would be ecstatic if it were Tony Elliot.  There's going to be a lot of handwringing because of the 25 mil or so buyout but Tony would generate a lot of buzz here.  He is a national title winning OC, young and black... He would kill it here and would make the 22 class elite.

All that being said, I'm just about ok with anyone as long as it's not Tom.

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

I take it differently I guess in conjunction with previous posts over the last few days from CTJ that seem to be indicating we were likely out of it with UM (see below links).  There are others from him I think that also give a similar indication but this is plenty to show the direction he seems to be indicating.

See Last Paragraph

CTJ Again

The First Paragraphs season & the UM hopes were the only thing getting me interested again. 

This One Flat Out Says CTJ Has Heard Urban Is Gone 

Frankly, I hope I'm wrong and UM is still the guy we get because I'm firmly in the UM or bust camp.  Too much sadness in life anymore for me to maintain interest in something that this program is such a chore to do so.  UM is the only hope I can hold out for making this program an enjoyable distraciton from life again.  I'll continue to hang out here in hopes of UM until there's some finality but right now I'm not hopeful.

Yeah I've pretty much tuned out this year and the UM hopes were the only thing getting me interested again. If he's out, then so am I until I have a reason to spend my time, energy, and money on it again (esp if he's out because our AD had a shot at him and actually didn't want him).

Edited by wood

13 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

So as @closetojumping said earlier, the guy we want won’t be available till Sunday at the earliest. I’m going to assume it’s a college guy, if so it would mean it is one of the following who play in the CCG

Fickell- don’t see it

Saban- not going there

Dabo- no chance

Kelly- doubtful

Napier- think we are shooting higher

chadwell- see Napier 

Campbell- CTJ already said it’s not him

Day- no shot

Fitzgerald- no he’s staying at Northwestern

Riley- lol no

Just leaves Mullen IMO...yes please

Again, and I cannot stress this enough, Dan Mullen is not leaving Florida for Texas.

• Like 1

It seems like having the AD run the non-revenue generating sports, but be more of an admin/organizer/paper pusher for the football program would be common.  Any examples of a big name football coach who is genuinely subservient to the AD?

1 minute ago, wood said:

I don't get the love for him anyway.

Just now, Horn80 said:

Especially after watching Gators lose at home to a bad LSU team last night.

In the last 2 years Mullen has 4 total losses of which 3 were to top 10 teams. Not saying he's a sure thing but he sure as hell won't lose consistently to TCU. He'd win 10 games a year here and recruit very well starting day 1. Coach Boom or even Ash would be enough to be a top 8 team next year IMO. 

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

i know it's outside the box.. but I would be ecstatic if it were Tony Elliot.  There's going to be a lot of handwringing because of the 25 mil or so buyout but Tony would generate a lot of buzz here.  He is a national title winning OC, young and black... He would kill it here and would make the 22 class elite.

All that being said, I'm just about ok with anyone as long as it's not Tom.

You’re right, he should be listed and I’d be all for him

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, dcar00 said:

I thought most were saying he's not coming back but didn't know when it would happen.  we, of course, speculated that after KSU he could be gone and certainly after KU. I admit after KU got cancelled I expected something to happen.

If CDC is ride or die with Herman for 2021 I would have expected his statement to be a LOT more definitive.

I hold out hope we are going big game hunting(that doesn't just mean Urban) and that may take a bit longer.  The NSD1 situation kind of screws up the normal mode college football is used to running under.

fire coach after last game but before Bowl.  get your coach by early Jan so he can sign a class in early Feb.

I don't think any of the so called "leaks" were actual leaks. Just blowhards who knew jack shit and were making up nonsense to get clicks. That appears to be true since he is still here for the immediate future. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

In the last 2 years Mullen has 4 total losses of which 3 were to top 10 teams. Not saying he's a sure thing but he sure as hell won't lose consistently to TCU. He'd win 10 games a year here and recruit very well starting day 1. Coach Boom or even Ash would be enough to be a top 8 team next year IMO. 

Agreed. Honestly don’t get how anyone would see Mullen as anything but a home run 

• Hook 'Em 3

It’s a sad commentary on the fragile, emotional state of our fan base and the quality and competency of the press in our country that Burton had to even write that update.  Of course the statement yesterday was entirely meaningless. Texas is waiting for their targets to conclude their season. 

Looking at Stewart Mandel’s and Chip Brown’s track record this year on reporting college football this should immediately be your first reaction when you see them report something- 

the wolf of wall street idgaf GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Why would he leave Florida for Texas?

I guess money is the reason for those who believe Mullen is coming. It's a lateral move in every other way and, no, I don't see how the Big 12 schedule gives him "an easier path" to the CFB Playoff than the SEC East. It doesn't make sense professionally.

• Like 1

Just now, DFW Horn said:

I guess money is the reason for those who believe Mullen is coming. It's a lateral move in every other way and, no, I don't see how the Big 12 schedule gives him "an easier path" to the CFB Playoff than the SEC East. It doesn't make sense professionally.

Georgia is a competent OC and QB away from being Clemson. Then you have to worry about Bama if you do make it out of the east. Here all you have to do is worry about OU who as we've seen is very beatable and Riley could jump to the NFL at any moment. Mullen would plunder this conference and beat the hell out of teams he is supposed to the vast majority of the time. 

20 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Coach Boom?  No way dude.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

IF he were to leave now would be the time with him likely losing Trask, Grimes, Pitts, and Toney to the NFL next year. It would stand to reason that the offense would take a step back next year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Sir Ulrich said:

Just throwing a name out there more for DC that should be available. There's plenty of good DCs that should be attainable. 

Which part is causing a hold up for you?

We could also theoretically keep Ash and some of the defensive staff and save buyout money with those assistants too.

14 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Easier path to the playoffs, recruiting advantages and $$$$. I’m not saying it’s likely but if we were going to pay UM $12M, who would balk at paying Mullen $9-10. He’s making $6M right now and only has a $2M buyout. That’s a big ass raise, I’m sure Florida would match but that’s a tough deal to match...and rumors are he doesn’t get along with the admin there

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

CDC is a polished, professional fund-raiser.

Where did he make a program-changing hire? Certainly not at TCU. Definitely not Rice.

Haven’t you been paying attention?  He’s made home run hires with the women’s basketball and softball coaches. You know, the programs that really matter. 

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Anything can happen. Meyer could come back any moment and say “fuck it, I’m in” but as of now, everyone except the posters on this thread have moved on. I’m here for the gangbang, but most certainly not because of any optimism towards getting UM.

My view on things is that this has slid away from being an effort with solid alignment across the money, management, and c-suite to trending towards an all-out, rapidly spreading grease fire. 

One thing that still looks good and interesting is that “the money” seems to be waiting patiently to see what management and the c-suite can get done (or fuck up). 

If UM seriously wants to coach again, he needs to take this gig. He ain't getting any younger and his health concern ain't going away. I guess insulating himself from CDC and Bellmont with a hand-picked "Assistant AD for Football" is the hang-up.

What a fucking flake...

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Anything can happen. Meyer could come back any moment and say “fuck it, I’m in” but as of now, everyone except the posters on this thread have moved on. I’m here for the gangbang, but most certainly not because of any optimism towards getting UM.

My view on things is that this has slid away from being an effort with solid alignment across the money, management, and c-suite to trending towards an all-out, rapidly spreading grease fire

One thing that still looks good and interesting is that “the money” seems to be waiting patiently to see what management and the c-suite can get done (or fuck up). 

Update thread title to —-  rapidly spreading grease fire

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

If UM seriously wants to coach again, he needs to take this gig. He ain't getting any younger and his health concern ain't going away. I guess insulating himself from CDC and Bellmont with a hand-picked "Assistant AD for Football" is the hang-up.

What a fucking flake...

Yeah, you can argue the defense and with bijan back next year, a solid coach can probably excel. I know some were pessimistic about next year on this thread but there’s some extremely talented guys on roster you can utilize, unless your name is Tom Herman.

1 minute ago, Fug said:

Yeah, you can argue the defense and with bijan back next year, a solid coach can probably excel. I know some were pessimistic about next year on this thread but there’s some extremely talented guys on roster you can utilize, unless your name is Tom Herman.

A solid coach would've won the Big 12 this year. That was everyone's expectation.

Turtle fucked it up, as usual

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

What a fucking flake...

Maybe not. If CDC (my boss) was not in my corner, I would want someone who was. Why go to a new job where your boss is not firmly behind you? Fuck that shit.

1 minute ago, Fug said:

71F4279B-109F-4E38-A7A8-B29313809060.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic