Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

Nahlin says that according to at least one agent the Texas job isn't particularly highly thought of.  Perception is that Texas isn't committed to winning like other schools - facilities just one example of how far behind Texas is.

Also - from Nahlin regarding a mystery candidate:

There’s a third 3.5 option out there. We’ve heard he wasn’t too interested in the recent past but he has some important football ahead of him. He’s yet another candidate where we won’t get a true measure of mutual interest until after the season but he’s materializing as a genuine person of interest.

This name would be big news nationally, but even bigger locally for the outlets who don’t even know a search is taking place.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Is this how other schools do it? I mean they all also have BMDs. It just seems kind of messed up not to have the guy hired to run the athletic department do his job.

Again, suggesting James Franklin disqualified CDC from the discussion. It's like when parents have to tell kids "Be quiet, the adults are talking."

CDC has no place at the table if he thinks James Franklin is a candidate for head football coach at The University of Texas. Kermit the Frog would be just as suitable here.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Brothahorn said:

Seriously? I am intrigued by the look but hadn't done any real research. Or heard anything.

We talked about getting rid of the Rav and getting that or the Hyundai look a like.

Test drive one, people trading in Mercedes and BMWs for them. Half the price. Last I heard dealers still had trouble keeping any in stock.

Base starts at 32k, loaded under 50k

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Again, suggesting James Franklin disqualified CDC from the discussion. It's like when parents have to tell kids "Be quiet, the adults are talking."

CDC has no place at the table if he thinks James Franklin is a candidate for head football coach at The University of Texas. Kermit the Frog would be just as suitable here.

I would just like to reiterate that James Franklin lost out to Charlie Strong in our previous coaching search. Let that sink in for a moment. 

15 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

You'd be surprised. I work with a lot of "absentee landowners"---read big money deep pocketed people who live in metro areas but own large expanses of ranch/farm land as either a tax writeoff/shelter or beause it's Texas and that's what we do here.

Plenty of them have their ranch managers manage specifically for cattle or crop production without a care for wildlife production.  It makes more sense for them to pay some fancy guided hunting operation to line them up on a $10-$15,000 buck and be done with it then to try and manage and hunt on their own land.

I do have one gentleman I work with that owns a large spread that is managed for wildlife...he owns the place and still calls it the hunting lease.....

Yea man I understand what entails owning a ranch as I own one. I started the ranching thread. I also understand that different landowners call their piece of heaven by different names. You’re not understanding the context of what got all this started or how it was implied. 

5 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

My Uncle would be someone that could be considered a BMD, but not to Texas. He has a deer lease in Pecos, but the lease is about 20,000 acres. 

You should ask him what he's heard about UM to Texas. I'll pass it on to squid 🐙 

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Nahlin says that according to at least one agent the Texas job isn't particularly highly thought of.  Perception is that Texas isn't committed to winning like other schools.

[quote]There’s a third 3.5 option out there. We’ve heard he wasn’t too interested in the recent past but he has some important football ahead of him. He’s yet another candidate where we won’t get a true measure of mutual interest until after the season but he’s materializing as a genuine person of interest.

This name would be big news nationally, but even bigger locally for the outlets who don’t even know a search is taking place.[/quote]

They keep referencing these 3.5 candidates to get us excited. Do we think this is BS or real? Idk what he's even saying about local outlets.

We need new practice facilities bad regardless of coach. We're way behind the times and that would calm some of the commitment concerns. I have no problem with us having more integrity (less "commitment to winning") than some of the SEC schools or anyone considering Art Briles but there's certainly room for middle ground.

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

They keep referencing these 3.5 candidates to get us excited. Do we think this is BS or real? Idk what he's even saying about local outlets.

We need new practice facilities bad regardless of coach. We're way behind the times and that would calm some of the commitment concerns. I have no problem with us having more integrity (less "commitment to winning") than some of the SEC schools or anyone considering Art Briles but there's certainly room for middle ground.

I think Kubiak and Mullen were the last 3.5 right?

Just now, BurntEyes said:

Yeah, this is what keeps rolling around in my head.

CDC had looked, throughout this process, questionable. 

I really don't think him an idiot. 

I have and continue to suspect there is something nobody outside the process is aware of currently regarding CDC and his perceived bungling.

Or... Occam's Razor, CDC needs to be fired.

I agree

10 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Nahlin says that according to at least one agent the Texas job isn't particularly highly thought of.  Perception is that Texas isn't committed to winning like other schools - facilities just one example of how far behind Texas is.

Third tree fiddy option ... with the number of options these guys are vaguely alluding to, no matter what finally happens, they can fit the outcome to one of their predictions.  As usual.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
25 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Car of the year... waiting list to get one even now. Appears Urban still a good evaluator

Seriously? I am intrigued by the look but hadn't done any real research. Or heard anything.

We talked about getting rid of the Rav and getting that or the Hyundai look a like.

https://tellurideforum.org/threads/2021-telluride-if-you-recently-received-what-was-the-wait.4856/

Multi month wait if you want the top trim, which lists under $50k but has often been selling above MSRP. 

An excellent SUV, but you'll get the peasant treatment on the New BMW Fanatic thread.

I hear the KIA dealerships are bottom of the barrel to deal with, so servicing might be a pain.

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Based on games next week I think some potential names are Kelly, Jimbo, Campbell, and potentially Fickell. Unless he speaking of the NFL then not sure who would even fit the description. 

7 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Based on games next week I think some potential names are Kelly, Jimbo, Campbell, and potentially Fickell. Unless he speaking of the NFL then not sure who would even fit the description. 

https://hookemheadlines.com/2020/12/13/texas-football-3-hc-candidates-that-would-be-better-than-tom-herman/2/

joe brady

54 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

Yea I can’t imagine a true checking writing BMD or their close buddies hanging out at a deer lease. I would imagine they own the fucking ranch but of course I could be wrong. 

Plenty of them have leases on the King Fucking Ranch.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

What would be examples of "not committed to winning" like other schools, to a coach who Texas is hypothetically pursuing? Could be an interesting study. 

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He's weak until proven otherwise from here. He's hired one FB coach in his career. He's worked to avoid firing Herman. He soft-pedaled firing Plonsky. He's proven that he can watch coaching contracts expire and not renew them, but he's not shown that he can even straight-up fire someone. 

I don't see how anyone could take Del Conte seriously after he retained Shaka Smart last spring. I have been in "show me, stop telling me" mode since then. You cannot talk about championship expectations and then bring a coach back who finished fourth his first year and then significantly worse than that every year after. 

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Gerry stan's Texas

image.png.95f86e3569ee3c066bb3c525618f7649.png

So, Saban was ready to ditch Bama and coach at Texas until loose lips and Mack sunk that ship.  And apparently Urban was ready to pull the trigger until he realized CDC was a doofus.  This is bullshit about nobody wanting the Texas job.  James Franklin and Sonny Dykes would give their left nuts to coach here.   Herman has most likely been crying and drinking himself to sleep every night at the thought of being run off.  Boom probably cries himself to sleep too about the poor choice he made.  Texas is still an elite job.  

10 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Obviously just a guess, but methinks Harbaugh, John. Ravens might not make the playoffs. He already has his SB. Writing is on the wall that Lamar is probably not the guy - not sure he wants to sit through a rebuild. He has 2 years on his contract still, though.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Nahlin is a knuckle dragging, whiny cunt waffle who wish casts more than he reports. I feel bad giving him $10 a month, but they do have some sources that aren’t CDC (especially since Burton joined), and I guess it’s better than Ketchum and Chip Brown. Christ our $9.95s are the worst. It’s almost as if dedicating your livelihood to being an “insider” for a collegiate sport is indicative of some sort of mental short coming.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, lemonandaturd said:

So, Saban was ready to ditch Bama and coach at Texas until loose lips and Mack sunk that ship.  And apparently Urban was ready to pull the trigger until he realized CDC was a doofus.  This is bullshit about nobody wanting the Texas job.  James Franklin and Sonny Dykes would give their left nuts to coach here.   Herman has most likely been crying and drinking himself to sleep every night at the thought of being run off.  Boom probably cries himself to sleep too about the poor choice he made.  Texas is still an elite job.  

There is no way Matt Campbell thinks this is a rebuild.  Eric Nahlin is flat out lying.  

31 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Test drive one, people trading in Mercedes and BMWs for them. Half the price. Last I heard dealers still had trouble keeping any in stock.

Base starts at 32k, loaded under 50k

Traded in my wife's BMW 550 for a Kia K900 a few months ago. The Kia is a much nicer car.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

I'm thinking Peterson or Shaw as 3.5?

He mentioned that the person has important football ahead of him and we won't know until after the season. Those two don't fit that bill.

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Obviously just a guess, but methinks Harbaugh, John. Ravens might not make the playoffs. He already has his SB. Writing is on the wall that Lamar is probably not the guy - not sure he wants to sit through a rebuild. He has 2 years on his contract still, though.

That would be a big name and would do very well IMO. Just get him some college experience coordinators and lets roll.

• Hook 'Em 1

Since “facilities” has been used for years talking about player recruiting, and is now being talked about in coach recruiting, what exactly do we lack?

I recall when mackovic got fired, the main complimentary thing people said about him was he brought about much needed facility upgrades. So this is an ongoing issue for at least 30 years now. 

but we did the NEZ 10ish years ago and iirc that included some student athlete amenities underground. 

we did the locker rooms 4 years ago. 

we did the weight room not too long ago I think. 

SEZ project I believe has some athlete amenities in it, doesn’t it?

the practice bubble has been talked about, but I believe it is on the docket once SEZ project is done. At least to start fundraising. 

what are we lacking, that around 500 million over the past 10 years hasn’t gotten us?  Are we just cheaping out with all these projects?  Don’t know what to do?  

• Hook 'Em 1

I was a student of Hartzell's for several semesters, he was my thesis advisor, and I knew him decently well personally. The guy is an absolute shark. There is no way he isn't in the driver's seat. Whenever he is accountable for something, he wants to knock it out of the park (even if he has to tear down everything and redo it if he has to - see what he did with the business honors program). I seriously doubt he'd let himself be runover because it would be a problem if Eltife failed in that scenario.
Trust me, the guy is a gamer. While I have limited insight into the coaching search, as someone who graduated recently and knew Hartzell well, this is the one part of the process I don't doubt.

Hartzell’s got friends in every town and village from here to the Rio Grande, he speaks a dozen languages, knows every local custom, he'll blend in, disappear, you'll never see him again. With any luck, he's got CUM already.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 3

Just now, closetojumping said:

Nahlin shit the bed with that post. I don't care if that's what an agent actually told him, he has to be more lucid than that. It reads as if he's sleepwalking. 

They interrupted a game on Saturday on ABC or FOX to highlight the fucking Crystal Conte statement about Herman. There's virtually no other school that gets that kind of silly coverage while being as thoroughly mediocre as Texas has been. 

CC needs to get money in for upgrades across the facilities as soon as he can, but the rest regarding Texas not being a desirable place to coach is silliness constructed to pander to a self-loathing audience by an agent that thinks he's being funny or enlightened. 

Could Nahlin be making shit up as he goes?  That's how this feels.  Don't get me wrong, I like him more than the other 9.95 cockbags, but it feels like he's just making a lot of this up.  He's a young ambitious guy that wants to conquer the 9.95 world. 

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I would not put it past John to want to go to the college game and 1-up his brother like he did in the NFL.  Those two assholes are as competitive as any two people on earth.  I could absolutely see John one day deciding that he wants to go to the college game and win a title there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Eskimohorn said:

Hartzell’s got friends in every town and village from here to the Rio Grande, he speaks a dozen languages, knows every local custom, he'll blend in, disappear, you'll never see him again. With any luck, he's got CUM already.

tbh in my head I see Hartzell as Indy and CDC as Brody

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic