Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Let's say Notre Dame gets pummeled by 3 tds on Saturday. Yes, that likely means ATM is in the CFP because 2020. However, this isn't an absurd outcome. Clemson has the horses to do it, it's hard to beat a team twice in the same season, and Lea, at least, is already distracted heading into this game.

Let's say Bama beats the shit out of UF because ... well that's likely to happen. 

If either or both of these things happen, and Texas isn't keeping Herman and Texas isn't sitting tight on a Meyer deal, we should start hearing actual buzz if either one of these guys are in play by no later than Tuesday. There is no fucking way a lid can be kept on this shit for much longer with whoever the target is.

The same would be true for Campbell with a loss to OU if he's in play.

If Ohio State loses and we don't hear jack shit about Urban Meyer after that, he's not in the picture. 

It's all weird. There is no fucking buzz. Nothing much is being said about anything. I pushed today about Herman staying or the UM conspiracy being real and was not left much doubt that a) Herman is fucking gone and b) there isn't anything hidden with UM. 

In short, obviously I choose to believe that there is a grand conspiracy at the highest levels and that Tom Herman will be fired and Urban Meyer will be announced as UT's head coach as soon as OSU is out of the NC picture. 

This all makes sense although I'm not so sure ND would fall behind Aggy. Just comparing resumes, ND would have a blowout loss vs #2 and Aggy would have a blowout loss vs #1. But ND also played a CCG, beat #2 and top 15 UNC while Aggy has only beat (soon to be 3-loss) Florida. 

I agree there probably isn't some grand conspiracy with UM. Probably will just be revisited after the season.

37 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

Let's say we assume there's a behind-curtains plan in place and that Urban will not be re-signing with Fox because he's taking the UT gig. If that's the case, obviously Fox would have already been give a heads up. Also, would think it would be in their and Urban's best interest to take his approach to date of simply ignoring (read: actively avoiding) the elephant in the room...at least until they have his replacement. And if that's how it plays out, silence from Fox & UM + insider rumors would be all we have to read into starting Sunday.

But I could certainly be wrong and that type of development would be a big focus of national media and Fox would address it. Just curious how others think that would unfold, because shit's about to go down one way or another here very soon. 

I hope shits about to go down rather than being down with the same old shit!

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Let's say Notre Dame gets pummeled by 3 tds on Saturday. Yes, that likely means ATM is in the CFP because 2020. However, this isn't an absurd outcome. Clemson has the horses to do it, it's hard to beat a team twice in the same season, and Lea, at least, is already distracted heading into this game.

Let's say Bama beats the shit out of UF because ... well that's likely to happen. 

If either or both of these things happen, and Texas isn't keeping Herman and Texas isn't sitting tight on a Meyer deal, we should start hearing actual buzz if either one of these guys are in play by no later than Tuesday. There is no fucking way a lid can be kept on this shit for much longer with whoever the target is.

The same would be true for Campbell with a loss to OU if he's in play.

If Ohio State loses and we don't hear jack shit about Urban Meyer after that, he's not in the picture. 

It's all weird. There is no fucking buzz. Nothing much is being said about anything. I pushed today about Herman staying or the UM conspiracy being real and was not left much doubt that a) Herman is fucking gone and b) there isn't anything hidden with UM. 

In short, obviously I choose to believe that there is a grand conspiracy at the highest levels and that Tom Herman will be fired and Urban Meyer will be announced as UT's head coach as soon as OSU is out of the NC picture. 

Things are certainly going to start getting a lot louder by Sunday, for now quiet is good...

6 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

As far as UM goes, it’s either over and Texas has moved onto plan B, or Meyer is one helluva schemer who has purposely leaked that he said no but is actually taking the job. That would be some serious scheming. And I don’t mean that in a negative way.

Didn't the Texas side break the "news" though? And isn't publicly denying interest in coaching again exactly what UM did before joining tOSU? What is reported is probably true -- he's leaning no. It's also true that could change with the right staff or if Texas gives him whatever he asked for. 

9 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

I'm sure he's on the short list but is interest from Brian Kelly real though? Seems like such a long shot given how the ND program is rolling right now. Feels like he's in a good place.

Mullen I get because he might grow tired of beatings at the hands of Bama. 

I understand anyone's skepticism regarding either Mullen or Kelly. Who knows if either would give legitimate consideration for the move? I don't have any confidence in either doing so right now, but crazier shit has happened, even lately. 

Looking at the reasons for Kelly to consider leaving ND:

-$$ - people have a misconception of how competitive ND is with compensation

-Assistant $$ - same issue. Kelly keeps losing DCs because he can't compete financially. There are schools that would have been able to pay Lea enough money to punt on Vandy and wait for something bigger and better - ND ain't one of them.

-Support staff $$ - see first two points. ND isn't playing the same game with $$ that others, including UT, are willing to do so.

-Academic hurdles - I realize @Snacks thinks the hurdles to qualifying for ND aren't as stringent as we think for the football players, but guys that cover the recruiting side of the sport can be asked on their boards right now and counter that argument with what they're seeing out there. There is a ceiling ND has for who it can get that other schools, including Texas, don't have.

-Overall recruiting pull - ND is still a massive brand. It isn't the brand it was 20 years ago or beyond. It's in podunk South Bend, IN and it's cold as hell there. 

-ND leadership and appetite for scandal - Can you imagine if your ultimate boss was a priest? Yikes. ND, like UT and Michigan, has remained very pompous and patrician about how it recruits and what it will and won't do. 

Looking at why Kelly would stay:

-$$ isn't everything to him.

-ND is in a great spot and he is a king there.

-It's his dream job and he loves his life on campus.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

So the night crew is going to wind up being all night through the weekend. Interesting. This thread will probably be self aware by Sunday and break the internet. Gonna need lots of drinks to get through this since we can’t have our party yet. If Urban could just wear a damn burnt orange tie on Saturday we could relax a little. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 1

Looking at the reasons for Mullen to stay at UF:

-SEC! SEC! SEC!

-In a recruiting hotbed.

-It's his dream job.

-They'll match any offer financially from other schools. (I don't know if this is true, but they have the money to make that case.)

Looking at the reasons for Mullen to leave UF:

-There is a surer path to the CFP in the Big 12.

-Texas is also a recruiting hotbed and far less dirty than the deep south.

That's all I got. I don't see a super compelling reason for Mullen to leave UF unless he hates the admins there or something. I also don't know how excited I'd personally be about him coming here vs someone like Campbell or Kelly, so I'm hoping there's nothing to the Mullen theory, personally.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, closetojumping said:

That's all I got. I don't see a super compelling reason for Mullen to leave UF unless he hates the admins there or something. I also don't know how excited I'd personally be about him coming here vs someone like Campbell or Kelly, so I'm hoping there's nothing to the Mullen theory, personally.

Of the Plan B's mentioned, I'd prefer Campbell bc he knows the Big 12, is younger, and brings more BDE in my opinion.

• Hook 'Em 2

Sorry folks, looks like we may be jumping to the front of the line for UM.  

UCLA has shown improvement in Chip Kelly’s third season in Westwood; however, Kelly is not guaranteed to return in 2021 even with a win over Stanford on Saturday...

In the event UCLA does move on from Kelly, sources tell FootballScoop Jarmond would be expected to vet the interest of Urban Meyer and Chris Petersen.

Jarmond and Meyer’s relationship dates back eight years, to when the future Hall of Fame coach came aboard at Ohio State. Jarmond was intimately involved with the program, serving as lead administrator for football at Ohio State. Sources said the pair’s relationship extends beyond football, that the two are genuine friends.

It’s with that angle that UCLA would pursue Meyer, who already this month turned down overtures from Texas. 

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-chip-kelly-not-guaranteed-to-return-at-ucla-bruins-could-target-big-name-replacements/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, DFW Horn said:

Of the Plan B's mentioned, I'd prefer Campbell bc he knows the Big 12, is younger, and brings more BDE in my opinion.

None of the Plan B's mentioned thrill me but Fickell would be my choice.   He worked several years under Meyer and hopefully would have learned how to be successful at a major school. 

9 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

So the night crew is going to wind up being all night through the weekend. Interesting. This thread will probably be self aware by Sunday and break the internet. Gonna need lots of drinks to get through this since we can’t have our party yet. If Urban could just wear a damn burnt orange tie on Saturday we could relax a little. 

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Then leaves you in a wasteland to kick your teeth in at USC the following year. I'm here for it. 

• Haha 1

Just now, JOSEYWALES66 said:

None of the Plan B's mentioned thrill me but Fickell would be my choice.   He worked several years under Meyer and hopefully would have learned how to be successful at a major school. 

If we can't get UM, get one of his proteges. Agree with your take, but it'll be a tougher sell with the BMDs in my opinion. We've already struck out with the last two G5 up-and-comers.

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

-SEC! SEC! SEC!

-In a recruiting hotbed.

-It's his dream job.

-They'll match any offer financially from other schools. (I don't know if this is true, but they have the money to make that case.)

I really don't buy Mullen coming here unless there really is a toxic relationship between him and UF Admin.  I could buy Kelly though.  I'm not a huge believer, but as you proved there's a lot more reasons for him to come than for Mullen

6 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

So did Herman and Strong. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 7

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

-SEC! SEC! SEC!

-In a recruiting hotbed.

-It's his dream job.

Supposedly him and admin do have some bad blood there FWIW. And can add Sexton to the list of reasons for him to stay

1 minute ago, IDIOTsavant said:

We could go after Charlie Strong...ooh, or Tom Herman for offense!

UM hired Herman, but only had him as OC for 2 years. He inherited Strong at UF bc his MO is to keep defensive staffers. But, yeah, neither learned The Urban Meyer System that well. Or they couldn't execute it. 

20 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

If we can't get UM, get one of his proteges. Agree with your take, but it'll be a tougher sell with the BMDs in my opinion. We've already struck out with the last two G5 up-and-comers.

17 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

We could go after Charlie Strong...ooh, or Tom Herman for offense!

Fickell is not Strong or Herman. Both Strong and Herman were one year wonders (single 10+ win season). Strong was 7-6 in his other 2 years and Herman was 9-3 which is very close to what they were here at Texas. Fickell has multiple 10+ win seasons and one undefeated regular season. That is closer to the Urban trajectory as Urban came up the ranks. Folks that compare Fickell to Strong and Herman have just not looked at the records.

Correction: Strong record is wrong. He has 2 10+ wins.

Edited by DanTheHorn
Some one pointed out I messed up Charlie's record. Leaving it since I messed up.

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I understand anyone's skepticism regarding either Mullen or Kelly. Who knows if either would give legitimate consideration for the move? I don't have any confidence in either doing so right now, but crazier shit has happened, even lately. 

Looking at the reasons for Kelly to consider leaving ND:

-$$ - people have a misconception of how competitive ND is with compensation

-Assistant $$ - same issue. Kelly keeps losing DCs because he can't compete financially. There are schools that would have been able to pay Lea enough money to punt on Vandy and wait for something bigger and better - ND ain't one of them.

-Support staff $$ - see first two points. ND isn't playing the same game with $$ that others, including UT, are willing to do so.

-Academic hurdles - I realize @Snacks thinks the hurdles to qualifying for ND aren't as stringent as we think for the football players, but guys that cover the recruiting side of the sport can be asked on their boards right now and counter that argument with what they're seeing out there. There is a ceiling ND has for who it can get that other schools, including Texas, don't have.

-Overall recruiting pull - ND is still a massive brand. It isn't the brand it was 20 years ago or beyond. It's in podunk South Bend, IN and it's cold as hell there. 

-ND leadership and appetite for scandal - Can you imagine if your ultimate boss was a priest? Yikes. ND, like UT and Michigan, has remained very pompous and patrician about how it recruits and what it will and won't do. 

Looking at why Kelly would stay:

-$$ isn't everything to him.

-ND is in a great spot and he is a king there.

-It's his dream job and he loves his life on campus.

The one thing that concerns me about Kelley should he become a real candidate, I don't believe the guy will score enough points in this league:

Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 3.34.23 PM.png

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Fickell is not Strong or Herman. Both Strong and Herman were one year wonders (single 10+ win season). Strong was 7-6 in his other 2 years and Herman was 9-3 which is very close to what they were here at Texas. Fickell has multiple 10+ win seasons and one undefeated regular season. That is closer to the Urban trajectory as Urban came up the ranks. Folks that compare Fickell to Strong and Herman have just not looked at the records.

Charlie's last two years at Louisville were 11-2 and 12-1.

And Herman won 24 games in 2 years at U of H.  13-1 and 9-3.

Those aren't one-year wonders.

And no, I don't want either of them back, ever.  But their resumes were very comparable to one Mack Brown when he was hired from UNC: they were all coming off of back-to-back overachieving years at a basketball school.  Mack had a longer track record, but it could be argued that just means it took him longer to get to the two really impressive seasons that got him our job.

Edited by TexArcher

6 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Good Lord day crew is the worst.

Look people, this isn't the Disappointing Plan B Coaches thread.

This is the Urban Meyer or Bust thread.  

Yeah, we suck. 

Plan B is a topic bc nobody's heard shit from or about Plan A. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming; BBQ, boots, music, flight tracking, and Shelly's tweets.

8 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Charlie's last two years at Louisville were 11-2 and 12-1.

And Herman won 24 games in 2 years at U of H.  13-1 and 9-3.

Those aren't one-year wonders.

And no, I don't want either of them back, ever.  But their resumes were very comparable to one Mack Brown when he was hired from UNC: two really good years at a basketball school.

I guess I will get negged for missing that final Strong year. They changed conferences so they split the Louisville  record and it is not contiguous.

Edited by DanTheHorn

1 minute ago, DanTheHorn said:

I guess I will get negged for missing that final Strong year. They changed conferences so they split the Louisville  record and it is not contiguous.

It's not a huge deal.  But I'm not as convinced that Fickell isn't another Charlie or Tom.  I mean, Luke's had three overachieving years in a row somewhere else instead of two.  I guess that's a point in his favor.  But Charlie and Tom likely could've kept doing what they were doing at Louisville and Houston, too.

Don't get me wrong, if my choices are Herman or Fickell, gimme Fickell yesterday.  I guess I'm just done expecting that we've finally got our guy unless he shows up with three rings on his fingers.

36 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Challenge accepted

AlienatedWhiteFossa-size_restricted.gif

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

Brian Kelly you say?

Leonardo Dicaprio Kinda GIF

What does a mad Brian Kelly look like in a September day game in Austin?

Good point. I'm guessing he'd be dead before October. Just a fucking heart explosion in mid-scream. It brings up a good question. Would you take Dead Brian Kelly being taped into and wheeled around the sidelines on a mover dolly, or a live Fuckface Hermantacore bawling on the sidelines and talking about how hard winning is as TCU plays "name that score" on our bare ass again?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Good point. I'm guessing he'd be dead before October. Just a fucking heart explosion in mid-scream. It brings up a good question. Would you take Dead Brian Kelly being taped into and wheeled around the sidelines on a mover dolly, or a live Fuckface Hermantacore bawling on the sidelines and talking about how hard winning is as TCU plays "name that score" on our bare ass again?

I'd take Dead Brian Kelly or whoever was calling the plays against K-State over Fuckface.

My Eulogy for Weekend at Bernie's: Summer's #1 Dark Comedy of the '80s –  Neal Lynch

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

I don't understand being higher on Campbell than Mullen. Then again, I don't really think either of them are or ever will be big time. Maybe Dan if he gets lucky. I expect the Campbell talk to disappear after OU hands them a 15 point beating on Saturday.