Apple TV+

Lobwedgephil

21 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I don’t really get it either. Apple TV is $5 a month, no ads, and you get a MLB game every week. You’d think those cord cutting cheapskates would be all over it. 

That said. I think they desperately need a massive hit. Apple needs another Stranger Things. Presumed Innocent and Lady in the Lake are pretty good, but I don’t see them entering the zeitgeist. 

They’re all in on Wolfs. I hope it works. 

$5 a month? 

Wut?

52 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

$5 a month? 

Wut?

For those of us on the Apple One plan (iCloud backups/storage, TV+, Music, Arcade) it's around $5-$10 a month or cheaper.  I normally was paying around $11 a month for iCloud, and $11 for Music (wife's preference), so switching to the plan (bumping up to the family plan) was only $5 more, which got us Apple TV and arcade.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/22/2024 at 12:56 PM, Chopper said:

"its streaming service is attracting just 0.2% of TV viewing in the US. Apple TV+ generates less viewing in one month than Netflix does in one day."

Brutal. And it's not like it's easy to find anything good to watch on Netflix.

Shame that Apple didn't buy Paramount instead of Skydance buying them.  That seems like that would have been a decent fit and Apple probably could have come up with the money looking under their couch cushions.

The tiny curated selection on Apple TV is so much better than the 50,000,000 shitty products on Netflix. Anytime I try to find anything to watch on Netflix, I just end up browsing for 15 minutes and give up.

Lots of good stuff on Netflix. The various racing and sports doc series like F1, NASCAR, track, indycar, Tour de France, QB1, last chance U. War and history docs. Vikings Valhalla. Mindhunter. Tons of originals that are very good plus British and Irish shows. And all kinds of cheese dating shows including Korean, Polish and Spanish ones.

10 hours ago, Scary Stranger said:

Time Bandits is out.  Any watch it?

Saw first episode with 11 year-old son, and he loved it and wants to watch the next one (already out).  It’s a little like a What We Do in the Shadows movie reunion at times.  It’s definitely aimed at kids, but I liked it.  If you love the original movie, it’s not that.  But competently made.  

On 7/22/2024 at 7:39 AM, mdmost said:

Apple invests in entertainment to sell more consumer devices – not to make money in Hollywood. Entertainment services like music, TV and games generate billions of dollars in sales, but they also create a halo effect around the brand. They make you more likely to buy an iPhone.

Jake Gyllenhaal No GIF

Uh, what?

Who watched Severance, Silo or Presumed Innocent and thought "I really should get an iPhone"?

Those are three of my favorite series the last couple years and that thought didn't come close to crossing my mind.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

The Instigators was worth the watch. Affleck was funny. 

15 hours ago, David Dennison said:

I fuckin' love Dunkin, guy.

Watched it last night with the wife. Was okay but not worth a theater ticket for sure. 

On 7/24/2024 at 5:57 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Saw first episode with 11 year-old son, and he loved it and wants to watch the next one (already out).  It’s a little like a What We Do in the Shadows movie reunion at times.  It’s definitely aimed at kids, but I liked it.  If you love the original movie, it’s not that.  But competently made.  

This.  Some of it seems focused toward kids but something about it makes me laugh.  I think the kid is the best part of the show - he's trying to be serious and all the characters around him is oblivious or just plain dumb.  Somehow, it just kind of works.  Not going to win any awards but it's not the worst thing to watch on a Wednesday night with a cold beverage...

• Hook 'Em 4

39 minutes ago, Loose Stool said:

This.  Some of it seems focused toward kids but something about it makes me laugh.  I think the kid is the best part of the show - he's trying to be serious and all the characters around him is oblivious or just plain dumb.  Somehow, it just kind of works.  Not going to win any awards but it's not the worst thing to watch on a Wednesday night with a cold beverage...

Agreed. The prohibition episode got  me a few times 

You think that's Baby Face? The little English kid who says greetings?? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/10/2024 at 9:25 PM, 4th&Five said:

The Instigators was worth the watch. Affleck was funny. 

I tried to like it, but it didn’t work for me. The chemistry between Damon and Affleck felt forced, which is odd considering they have worked together before. 
That was a good cast, it should have been much better. 

41 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Anyone see the Beanie Babies movie with Zach Galifianakis and Elizabeth Smart?

The girl who was kidnapped as a sex slave for like nine months?

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

The girl who was kidnapped as a sex slave for like nine months?

Whoops I meant Elizabeth Banks. You made me laugh even though it is completely inappropriate given the degree of her trauma. And this may also be a sign I should stay away from Apple TV.

On 8/10/2024 at 12:27 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

Another plug for Lady in the Lake. Just the right amount of weird, mystery, full on nods to the The Wire, and the Natalie Portman 60’s look is working for me. 

Yes, really enjoying this and Sunny right now on Apple

4 hours ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Yes, really enjoying this and Sunny right now on Apple

Watching both of these. Hot and naughty Natalie is the best Natalie.

Also I guess it's intentional but I can't stand Suzi's character in Sunny.  She does an excellent job of making herself completely unlikeable.

Edited by DDD Dad

2 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Watching both of these. Hot and naughty Natalie is the best Natalie.

Also I guess it's intentional but I can't stand Suzi's character in Sunny.  She does an excellent job of making herself completely unlikeable.

As much as I love Rashida Jones, I'm not sure she was the best cast.  She looks the part but her jokes don't land and I think they're trying to make her funny.  

On 8/15/2024 at 1:48 PM, Speedtrucker said:

We started this last night, first 2 episodes and we were entertained.

Vince Vaughn allowed to be his quick talking sarcastic joker with a good heart.

ME chick is smoke!!!

Watched the first episode.  Wasn't bad, wasn't great.  Will probably watch another.

On 8/20/2024 at 10:32 AM, Jerry Callo said:

Watched the first episode.  Wasn't bad, wasn't great.  Will probably watch another.

Three episode in.  Enjoyable show - will continue to watch.

On 8/17/2024 at 11:13 PM, BillyGoatHill said:

2 episodes in..., Cowboy Cartel 👍

Finishing the episode now.  Interesting story that I only knew about at a basic level.

2 episodes in..., Cowboy Cartel 

This one hits close to home.

If my career has had more interaction with one group it’s Los Zetas.

One of our sadder stories was Allende.

https://www.propublica.org/article/allende-zetas-cartel-massacre-and-the-us-dea

Also someone I worked closely with was interviewed in a nat geo show
Narco War, season 1 ep 6 rise of the narco army

Go watch it if this show is interesting to you.

Also Somos on Netflix

OCDETF till I’m buried.