Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

8 hours ago, Superhero said:

During the time I was waiting, I went to a nearby Walmart for the first time in... several years. It's still the typical depressing Walmart experience I remembered.

I find the Walmart experience uplifting.  It just reminds me that no matter how shitty I think my life is, it could always be worse

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

On Microsoft's official technical forum/community, answers.microsoft.com, 99% of the answers are utterly useless.  The top/pinned post is always by some Microsoft "MVP" (still unsure if these are employees or just token carrots for volunteers), which always completely ignore the question. Just rubbish.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 3

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

in Firefox Ctrl N is New tab, in Chrome Ctrl N is New Window

in Firefox Ctrl Shift P is Private tab, in Chrome Ctrl Shift P is...nothing.  Private tab is Ctrl Shift N.  😡

FIFY.  CTRL+T is a new tab in Chrome.  CTRL + N is a new window.

CTRL+SHIFT+T is my favorite, restore the recently closed tab.

• Hook 'Em 1

Went to Mexico last week and started to feel a little sick starting Saturday morning. At first it was just a cough and now I feel like dogshit. I have body aches, fever, chills, stuffy nose, weakness, the whole enchilada. I haven’t taken a Covid test yet since I just got it in March. Sucks that I have a project due end of the month, and while I have 2 strong guys working on it, I feel the need to look over their work. This sucks.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, Superhero said:

Went to Mexico last week and started to feel a little sick starting Saturday morning. At first it was just a cough and now I feel like dogshit. I have body aches, fever, chills, stuffy nose, weakness, the whole enchilada. I haven’t taken a Covid test yet since I just got it in March. Sucks that I have a project due end of the month, and while I have 2 strong guys working on it, I feel the need to look over their work. This sucks.

Enjoy it. Took me 2 weeks to get over that. 4 straight negative Covid tests too

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Enjoy it. Took me 2 weeks to get over that. 4 straight negative Covid tests too

I ran some errands in the morning and came back EXHAUSTED, then spent the rest of the afternoon sleeping in fits and starts. The fever broke in the evening and I’m feeling a whole lot bette now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Needed to change an upcoming car rental over to wife's name as I can't make the trip....

Avis: Sure no problem

Avis: Oh, that reservation has been prepaid so I can't change the name (had I not already paid she could have)

Avis: I can though just cancel this one and create one in your wife's name

Me: Fine, will there be price changes, etc?

Avis: Possibly, will be based on current prices... (I booked in January...so lol...)

Me: Fine, let me know the difference.

Avis:  I can't

Me: Why not

Avis: You have to select what kind of vehicle you want.. we have...

Me: I want the same thing... everything the same... just in my wife's name

Avis: We don't have that vehicle available for those dates

Me: But I have one reservered now and you about to cancel it

Avis:  Yes sir but I can't reserve it if it's not available and once I cancel it, it still won't be available

I'll save you the rest of the story... but after another 5-10 minues I still could not get her to understand why I was so frustrated. I don't think she ever understood how stupid the situation she was presenting was.  I ended up cancelling and reserving with another company...

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 6

7 hours ago, Superhero said:

I ran some errands in the morning and came back EXHAUSTED, then spent the rest of the afternoon sleeping in fits and starts. The fever broke in the evening and I’m feeling a whole lot bette now. 

You go, girl! 

image.jpeg.686729e73e1458c74e107f3b553a015c.jpeg

• Haha 3

Conversation before we went on a trip:

Me: What are you going to do while we're at the beach?
Her: I brought a book on parenting.
Me: You sure you don't want to bringing lighter to read?
Her: No, I'm going to read it. (She's been saying this for at least 3 vacations)

Sitting on the beach, she stares out onto the ocean, book is nowhere to be found.

Me: Where's your book?
Her: I don't want to read it. It's dry.
Me: Want to read the books on my iPad? They're by David Sedaris.
Her: No   (as she continues to stare onto the ocean for 3 days)

11 hours ago, Superhero said:

Conversation before we went on a trip:

Me: What are you going to do while we're at the beach?
Her: I brought a book on parenting.
Me: You sure you don't want to bringing lighter to read?
Her: No, I'm going to read it. (She's been saying this for at least 3 vacations)

Sitting on the beach, she stares out onto the ocean, book is nowhere to be found.

Me: Where's your book?
Her: I don't want to read it. It's dry.
Me: Want to read the books on my iPad? They're by David Sedaris.
Her: No   (as she continues to stare onto the ocean for 3 days)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Flight delays (weather) suck.

We have been suffering multiple flight changes & cancelations, all due to the rain in South Florida.

Now on a direct AUS ➡️ FLL, leaves here @ 1733, arrive FLL @ 2126.

*bag (supposedly) already removed from the AUS ➡️ HOU ✈️.

Company-mandated Windows Updates policy is wrecking all of our computers.

All of these items the computer have already installed multiple times in the previous days.

By the way, its so cool we have components from Intel, INTEL, Intel Corporation, and Intel(R) Corporation. Maybe Apple's walled garden doesn't look so bad.

image.thumb.png.b3a2d294a7e6c2a0b637a36b1f8becea.png

• Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Company-mandated Windows Updates policy is wrecking all of our computers.

All of these items the computer have already installed multiple times in the previous days.

By the way, its so cool we have components from Intel, INTEL, Intel Corporation, and Intel(R) Corporation. Maybe Apple's walled garden doesn't look so bad.

image.thumb.png.b3a2d294a7e6c2a0b637a36b1f8becea.png

Man, dealing with Apple in a corporate environment is much worse these days.  Trying to automate Apple updates is a complete nightmare for admins and end users alike.  Windows updates push out smaller, granular packages, while Apple pushes periodic giant turds that take 30+ minutes to update and if you don't have the local admin creds, you're screwed.

On 6/8/2024 at 8:43 PM, ScottS said:

Comes from this report here:

NEARLY 4 IN 10 EMPLOYERS AVOID HIRING RECENT COLLEGE GRADS IN FAVOR OF OLDER WORKERS

Survey happened December of last year but for whatever reason seems to be making the rounds now.

From the report, it seems as though the 19 percent figure is people who have had a parent or parents actually in the interview, not just drop the candidate off or wait in the lobby.

Like most anything, one can draw whatever conclusions he or she wants from this kind of survey.  I suspect that one could survey a completely different set of hiring managers and come up with a different set of statistics.  It does not say where the people surveyed come from in terms of specific industry, just that the respondents were 25+ years of age, have annual household income above $75k, work for companies with 10 or more employees, and are a C-Level executives, HR manager, director, president, owner/partner, president, or senior to middle management.

That stat should be 0%, no matter the sample size.  

28 minutes ago, Superhero said:

After hanging out with a bunch of boys at a campus, my son now calls me dad instead of daddy.

He’s 9 and me transitioning to “dad” would be inevitable, but doesn’t make me feel less sad. 

As long as the wife still calls you Daddy, amirite?

https://www.facebook.com/trueclassictees/videos/543333247852643/

Edited by PvilleStang

19 hours ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Wednesday birthdays are ass my dude.

Do you know how perpetual calendars work?  Every 6-8 years, everyone's birthday will fall on a Wednesday for an average of about ten per lifetime.  

A weird one in our family is my brother was born on 9/11, so it'll always be that date no matter the day of the week.  Same as my sister who was born on Independence Day.  I was born on Memorial Day, but it only hits my birthdate every 6-8 years.  My mother was born on Ash Wednesday, but of course that one moves around even more than mine because you gotta have a solstice, a full moon, and then count back 40 days or whatever the hell it is they do over there with the counting/non-counting of Sundays and Pentacost.  Apparently Jesus rose from the dead on 35 different dates from 22 March to 25 April.  That has to be exhausting.  

On 6/10/2024 at 12:09 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I find the Walmart experience uplifting.  It just reminds me that no matter how shitty I think my life is, it could always be worse

That’s how I feel after watching Requiem For A Dream…

49 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

That’s how I feel after watching Requiem For A Dream…

"Excuse me ma'am, in what aisle may I find the 'Ass-to-Ass' accessories?  Four, is it?  Got it, thank you."  

22 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Who ever thought white underwear should come in white

What other color could white underwear be?

Edited by nnm
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2nd battery to go out on my 2016 Tahoe.  Bought this one in 2020.  Car batteries only have 3 yr warranties?  Whatever happened to batteries that lasted 5-7 years?   

The increased Texas heat does a number on car batteries. My old truck is parked outside, so it gets brutal heat. It was killing a battery in under two years, repeatedly. I got a $30 solar powered trickle charger (plugs into either the AC outlet or clips directly onto the battery, small panel I set up on the truck roof), and it’s worked like a charm to keep the battery charged and not getting wiped out.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The increased Texas heat does a number on car batteries. My old truck is parked outside, so it gets brutal heat. It was killing a battery in under two years, repeatedly. I got a $30 solar powered trickle charger (plugs into either the AC outlet or clips directly onto the battery, small panel I set up on the truck roof), and it’s worked like a charm to keep the battery charged and not getting wiped out.

What kind did u get?

Slightly related to topic warning.

Family and I drove to Amarillo and back to have lunch with friends at the Big Texan.  (My wife and I are both teachers, which is why we can do stupid shit like this in the summer.)  Anyway, we just had to stop by the Cadillac Ranch.  I'm sorry, but that was one of the most dumbass things I've ever seen.  Yay.  Cars in the ground.  To make matters worse, you're apparently supposed to buy or bring spray paint and paint all over the GD property.  I'm no Greta Thornburg, but this just seemed so damaging and wasteful.  I don't get it.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, freyguy said:

2nd battery to go out on my 2016 Tahoe.  Bought this one in 2020.  Car batteries only have 3 yr warranties?  Whatever happened to batteries that lasted 5-7 years?   

I've never gotten more than 4 years out of a car battery. My old silverado and my wife's ford fusion and kia only lasted 4 years. 

5 hours ago, Superhero said:

Who ever thought white underwear should come in white?

(Did not shart, but just saw an ad with tighty whities)

Same reason 90% of hotel linens are white, so you can bleach the hell out of it.  Are you new to laundry or what?  

I guess the boxer-briefs I like are never in white, but I still wash 'em on high heat.  But yeah, as a kid---tighty whities.  But to this day, we still buy white towels and sheets and pillowcases and all that.  You can't bleach 'em every time or they wear out so much faster.  But probably once every month or two.  I myself once dabbled in colorfully striped towels, Dude.  You're just postponing the inevitable.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Family and I drove to Amarillo and back to have lunch with friends at the Big Texan.  (My wife and I are both teachers, which is why we can do stupid shit like this in the summer.)  Anyway, we just had to stop by the Cadillac Ranch.  I'm sorry, but that was one of the most dumbass things I've ever seen.  Yay.  Cars in the ground.  To make matters worse, you're apparently supposed to buy or bring spray paint and paint all over the GD property.  I'm no Greta Thornburg, but this just seemed so damaging and wasteful.  I don't get it.

Man, you are correct that the Cadillac ranch is dumbest shit possible to be forced to stop at. Even worse in the morning when the smell of cow shit is at its highest. 

On 6/15/2024 at 12:20 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Did you finish the 72oz steak?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

On 6/15/2024 at 10:36 AM, Superhero said:

Who ever thought white underwear should come in white?

(Did not shart, but just saw an ad with tighty whities)

On 6/15/2024 at 12:31 PM, Superhero said:

In Texas and the Midwest, they should come in tactical camouflage as the standard. 

....so, "doo-doo brown"?