Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

On 6/7/2024 at 7:25 AM, Superhero said:

My son’s smelly feet can clear a room. Maybe it’s because he’s really active and feet sweat a LOT, or there’s something else going on. It’s gotten to the point we’re embarrassed to have him go to friends’ houses.

We’ve tried disinfectants, arm and hammer “balls” filled with baking soda, washing each foot at lest 30 seconds each day, washing his shoes frequently, and trying out different types of socks…

I think we’ve achieved a stalemate with a combo of rotating 3-4 different pairs of shoes, antibacterial soap, new socks and washing his shoes using hydrogen peroxide.

Not sure how sustainable after he becomes responsible for it all. But damn, I’d rather smell poop than his shoes. 

Have him wear white socks all the time.

1 hour ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Maybe not so trivial?

Dish Network recently went up to $162/month from $90. I called them several times in order to tr to lower the bill with no results and they didn't even seem interested in trying.

Then suddenly when I called to terminate service today, they could magically get it down to $48/mo.  Fucking thieves and con artists.

Dish is worse than the mafia.  When my mother died last year, they kept billing her for many months after she passed.  Despite having the death certificate.  Despite being told by registered letter and by telephone that she was dead.  They kept trying to get us to upgrade and extend service.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

24 minutes ago, nnm said:

Dish is worse than the mafia.  When my mother died last year, they kept billing her for many months after she passed.  Despite having the death certificate.  Despite being told by registered letter and by telephone that she was dead.  They kept trying to get us to upgrade and extend service.  

I have to keep reminding myself of this when I complain about streaming price hikes.  At least I can start/stop the service anytime without having to talk to anyone.   What a PITA that used to be.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Got sick the last 2 days of vacation, came back and felt like I got hit by a truck.

I slowly got better and went back to the office starting Wednesday and felt 90% by Friday. Weekend comes and goes, and now I feel like shit again. Not as bad as last week, but still coughing, hacking, etc.

I thought these things were supposed to just last a week.

22 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Got sick the last 2 days of vacation, came back and felt like I got hit by a truck.

I slowly got better and went back to the office starting Wednesday and felt 90% by Friday. Weekend comes and goes, and now I feel like shit again. Not as bad as last week, but still coughing, hacking, etc.

I thought these things were supposed to just last a week.

Ha, could have told you that! 

On 6/15/2024 at 12:20 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Slightly related to topic warning.

Family and I drove to Amarillo and back to have lunch with friends at the Big Texan.  (My wife and I are both teachers, which is why we can do stupid shit like this in the summer.)  Anyway, we just had to stop by the Cadillac Ranch.  I'm sorry, but that was one of the most dumbass things I've ever seen.  Yay.  Cars in the ground.  To make matters worse, you're apparently supposed to buy or bring spray paint and paint all over the GD property.  I'm no Greta Thornburg, but this just seemed so damaging and wasteful.  I don't get it.

Wait - driving from Dallas to Amarillo for lunch isn't a waist, but a can of spray paint is?????

Confused Dog GIF by MOODMAN

Also, I will take your Cadillac Ranch and raise you one "Crater of Diamonds" near Hot Springs.

Edited by Jameslaw121

45 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Wait - driving from Dallas to Amarillo for lunch isn't a waist, but a can of spray paint is?????

Confused Dog GIF by MOODMAN

Also, I will take your Cadillac Ranch and raise you one "Crater of Diamonds" near Hot Springs.

Cans.  Plural.  As in, several acres of land and road covered in spray paint.  They're not just spray painting the 6 or so cars buried in the ground.  The roads, the cornfields, the fences, the cars, hell, even the sign that said "It is illegal to mar or deface the property in this area." 

Uh oh.  Your sister-in-law will not stand for slings and arrows directed at Crater of the Diamonds State Park.  :)

Edited by Knoxtnhorn
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

The grocery store. I’ve never come across people so god damn inefficient that don’t seem to have anything else to do in their lives. Both staff and customers. Go you fucking fucks!  Gooooo!!!!!

Chill dude. I’m checking the surl.  Some ahole is complaining about people in grocery lines. 

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Maybe not so trivial?

Dish Network recently went up to $162/month from $90. I called them several times in order to tr to lower the bill with no results and they didn't even seem interested in trying.

Then suddenly when I called to terminate service today, they could magically get it down to $48/mo.  Fucking thieves and con artists.

Cut the cord brah

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Having to do onboarding stuff before my first day of work

Does this the follow up to your other post?

My prodigious appetite for alcohol has made me absurdly popular in many of my jobs but has also painted me as a loose cannon

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

The grocery store. I’ve never come across people so god damn inefficient that don’t seem to have anything else to do in their lives. Both staff and customers. Go you fucking fucks!  Gooooo!!!!!

I love almost everything about HEB except their baggers.  I have to tell them to put the frozen and refrigerated items in the insulated bags, separate soap and bug spray from produce, and not bag bread under or next to canned foods.  Do the only hire morons for bagging?  Do they not train them?

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

The trick to getting your groceries bagged correctly is to put them on the conveyor belt in the order that they should be bagged.  It’s your fault the groceries aren’t getting bagged correctly.

This

I always unload the basket with items I want bagged together.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Wait, I thought you were supposed to take creeper pics at HEB and post them in IPIHB or something.  This ain't 'Nam...

I love almost everything about HEB except their baggers.  I have to tell them to put the frozen and refrigerated items in the insulated bags, separate soap and bug spray from produce, and not bag bread under or next to canned foods.  Do the only hire morons for bagging?  Do they not train them?
My biggest gripe with HEB baggers is how many damn bags they waste. Some bags have one single item and many more items could fit in there. Such a waste.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

8 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

The trick to getting your groceries bagged correctly is to put them on the conveyor belt in the order that they should be bagged.  It’s your fault the groceries aren’t getting bagged correctly.

Nope.  I put the items on the conveyor in the right order, even grouped together as they should be bagged.  If I don't stand on top of the bagger and tell them exactly what to do, they screw it up.  Every damn time.  I have started just bagging my stuff myself.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Nope.  I put the items on the conveyor in the right order, even grouped together as they should be bagged.  If I don't stand on top of the bagger and tell them exactly what to do, they screw it up.  Every damn time.  I have started just bagging my stuff myself.

Have you tried getting a hobby?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Even my 9 YO knows to put the crushable items - bananas, bread, chips, etc. last on the conveyor belt. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I have started just bagging my stuff myself.

5 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Have you tried getting a hobby?

4 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Why is everyone asking me this since I retired?

Have you thought about a post retirement job of grocery bagger? You’re not too old.

IMG_3838.thumb.jpeg.0dbeb78b8f99cd35b1b7020c2457897e.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Client... Love them, hate em.

Working with an Aussie team. They bitched about the last draft about things we do not use in the US model for development. What they wanted would violate rules for DEIA (Happy Juneteenth folks), and I said no.

Waking up my phone is going off. All small things that are easy fixes. Was tired, had not had a coffee and yeah, it came out. "Sir, how is the HMAS Koala going?" What he says. "Well Sir, maybe if the Aussie way was so perfect you would have a fucking nuclear carrier and not need ours to guard against invasion from Papua New Guinea."

Wrong approach? Yes. Do I feel better? Yes.

2 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

The disembodied voice in one of the rotating loudspeaker announcements at ORD pronounces the word "ro-TAHN-da" rather than "ro-TUN-da" and it irritates me every 10 minutes or so whenever I'm there. 

We workshopped this when I lived there and voted for, "You Guys in the circle thing there!"  But they got all fancy and went with Ro-TAHN-da, as you say.  

I don't know if it's computer generated, but most airports must use one of a handful of generic (but commanding while pleasant) voice over their PA's.  But last time I arrived at JFK, holy shit.  You can literally hear the woman smacking gum while she lectures you with her fucking Long Island accent from a bad sitcom.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

My wife went to Discount Tires to get new tires last week.  She said the entire line was held up by a Karen that was complaining - for 20 minutes - about a quote.  Not the price she had to pay, but a quote.  Fast forward to yesterday.  We're 2 suburbs away (about 20 miles) in Rockwall.  She sees the EXACT same lady at the counter throwing a fit about her guacamole.  She apparently brought the young, cashier girl to tears.  My wife did speak to the cashier and manager after the incident to smooth things over.

GD I fucking hate rude people.  I try to never involve myself in the business of others, but I damn well would have said something if I was there.  There's no reason for some high school girl to get bitched at for a GD side of food.  And going back to the tire place - you don't like the quote.  Go the f somewhere else.

If you see her again, ask if she was chaperoning a bunch of girls at a Christian retreat center last month. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

My wife went to Discount Tires to get new tires last week.  She said the entire line was held up by a Karen that was complaining - for 20 minutes - about a quote.  Not the price she had to pay, but a quote.  Fast forward to yesterday.  We're 2 suburbs away (about 20 miles) in Rockwall.  She sees the EXACT same lady at the counter throwing a fit about her guacamole.  She apparently brought the young, cashier girl to tears.  My wife did speak to the cashier and manager after the incident to smooth things over.

GD I fucking hate rude people.  I try to never involve myself in the business of others, but I damn well would have said something if I was there.  There's no reason for some high school girl to get bitched at for a GD side of food.  And going back to the tire place - you don't like the quote.  Go the f somewhere else.

sometimes im thinking sharia law is not so bad.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

On 6/17/2024 at 4:13 PM, Jameslaw121 said:

Second Miz Long went to grade school with Stanley Marsh 3, owner of Cadillac Ranch. He also put up "fake" street signs around in Amarillo. My favorite was "The Body of a Dead Enemy Always Smells Sweet". "End of the World" hit too close to home.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Second Miz Long went to grade school with Stanley Marsh 3, owner of Cadillac Ranch. He also put up "fake" street signs around in Amarillo. My favorite was "The Body of a Dead Enemy Always Smells Sweet". "End of the World" hit too close to home.

Good ol Stanley Marsh. I spent most childhood summers in Amarillo. Always enjoyed his eccentricities. 

Not so trivial... I've been stressed out at work, putting in the hours on things outside of my comfort zone, because hey, you want to get promoted to VP? You gotta do this and that.

So, stress > tense body (especially the jaw) > drinking to relieve stress > seizure.

Yeah, I had a mild seizure last night. I've shared my history of seizures on this board. There have been many types from grand mal to minor "blips" where I noticed a seizure but could carry on without missing a beat. The ones I've had in the past 1.5 years have been more than blips. The communication part of my brain gets mushy and I have hard time listening, understanding, reading and speaking. It takes anywhere between 15-30 minutes to recover.

On the bright side, I know it's more likely to happen if I fall asleep and my head drops towards my chest, so I don't do that anymore. On the flip side, my neurologist warns me that every little seizure could turn into a large seizure if I'm not careful. So fuck me.

Not huge, but trivial. 

People saying "hone in" on something. It isn't "hone in", you moron, it's "hoMe in".

You can hone an edge - like a knife blade - or you can hone something smooth, like a cylinder wall.  I'll bet there's plenty of Surlys who've done both. 

To "home in" is to get closer to a goal of some sort.

Get the fuck off my lawn, or I might just home in on your ass with my boot.

Edited by Tex Long

2 hours ago, Superhero said:

Not so trivial... I've been stressed out at work, putting in the hours on things outside of my comfort zone, because hey, you want to get promoted to VP? You gotta do this and that.

So, stress > tense body (especially the jaw) > drinking to relieve stress > seizure.

Yeah, I had a mild seizure last night. I've shared my history of seizures on this board. There have been many types from grand mal to minor "blips" where I noticed a seizure but could carry on without missing a beat. The ones I've had in the past 1.5 years have been more than blips. The communication part of my brain gets mushy and I have hard time listening, understanding, reading and speaking. It takes anywhere between 15-30 minutes to recover.

On the bright side, I know it's more likely to happen if I fall asleep and my head drops towards my chest, so I don't do that anymore. On the flip side, my neurologist warns me that every little seizure could turn into a large seizure if I'm not careful. So fuck me.

The VP thing?  It’s not worth it. I’m on the other side of that now and none of my career achievements mean anything. I’ve got a box full of deal toys that no one cares about, particularly me. Your faith and your family, that’s what matters. The rest is dust in the wind. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 6

Not huge, but trivial. 
People saying "hone in" on something. It isn't "hone in", you moron, it's "hoMe in".
You can hone an edge - like a knife blade - or you can hone something smooth, like a cylinder wall.  I'll bet there's plenty of Surlys who've done both. 
To "home in" is to get closer to a goal of some sort.
Get the fuck off my lawn, or I might just home in on your ass with my boot.

Ummm….no. “Hone in” is absolutely a real and correct term in that context. They’re not sure of its origin, it MAY have derived from “home in,” but if it did, it was a long time ago. There’s also a hypothesis that “hone” was used based on the idea of sharpening focus.

Irregardless….
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Ummm….no. “Hone in” is absolutely a real and correct term in that context. They’re not sure of its origin, it MAY have derived from “home in,” but if it did, it was a long time ago. There’s also a hypothesis that “hone” was used based on the idea of sharpening focus.

Irregardless….

They're wrong. But no worries, use it all you want - it's trivial, just like grammar, rhetoric, and grammar. 

On 6/19/2024 at 12:23 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

The disembodied voice in one of the rotating loudspeaker announcements at ORD pronounces the word "ro-TAHN-da" rather than "ro-TUN-da" and it irritates me every 10 minutes or so whenever I'm there. 

Fucking most annoying goddamn airport in the world, inching out the other two prongs of the unholy triumvirate (LAX and EWR) by a nose…

1 minute ago, Ignatius said:

Fucking most annoying goddamn airport in the world, inching out the other two prongs of the unholy triumvirate (LAX and EWR) by a nose…

It's my home airport, so my perspective is different. 

Now that MCI has been replaced, I find PHX to be the worst - bad layout and shitty food options.