HISD - State of Texas to Takeover School District

Neonmoon

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

HISD will be sued like a motherfucker for that, i assume. 

Well that and they broke the fucking law if they fired the people who were maintaining it

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/SOTWDocs/ED/htm/ED.38.htm

Sec. 38.017. AVAILABILITY OF AUTOMATED EXTERNAL DEFIBRILLATOR.

(e) A school district shall ensure that an automated external defibrillator is used and maintained in accordance with standards established under Chapter 779, Health and Safety Code.

(f) This section does not:

(1) waive any immunity from liability of a school district or its officers or employees;

(2) create any liability for or a cause of action against a school district or its officers or employees; or

(3) waive any immunity from liability under Section 74.151, Civil Practice and Remedies Code.

26 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

HISD Board of Trustees also approved the sale of $80 million in property even though it doesn't know which buildings or properties will be sold or which schools may be affected.  

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

HISD will be sued like a motherfucker for that, i assume. 

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Well that and they broke the fucking law if they fired the people who were maintaining it

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/SOTWDocs/ED/htm/ED.38.htm

All of this is by design.

game of thrones khaleesi GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

The Landing has all the grades here: https://houstonlanding.org/houston-isd-released-its-projected-accountability-grades-see-how-each-school-scored/

This is good. Improvement is good. Certainly better than the alternative. The caveat of course is that TEA ratings are heavily based on standardized test scores, and Miles's NES system is designed to....improve standardized test scores.

I haven't heard that, but not the most current with school updates. Our son just started there

Edit: we got a link for GT testing request earlier this week so, I dunno

Edited by Mez2

15 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Is it true that HISD got rid of GT level classes at Frank Black?

Sort of.  Previously they had Vanguard, AP, and general education.  Vanguard was one of the largest groups of students with something like 2/3rds of the kids from OFE meeting those standards.  AP however allowed kids who didn't test high enough to be Vanguard to still take on some more rigor than the gen. ed. kids.   

Spoiler

One of the flaws with the Vanguard program was that a kid could be advanced in Math, but behind in reading, and still qualify for Vanguard.   And in order to maintain Vanguard classes, you had to remain in the Vanguard program for 2 of your core courses and you could 'drop' down into AP for the other two.   

Prior to the start of the year, we were informed the school is doing away with Vanguard/AP and rolling them into just Honors.    They are still doing GT testing however now children need to qualify in more than one subject in order to be accepted into the program.   

Spoiler

I do believe this is district wide, but I have not verified it and I do not want to mislead.

Tangent #2

I spoke with another mom of a vanguard/honors kid (8th grade) at FBMS and she confirmed some of the useless teachers and administrators, the challenges her kid has which is doing her work in 5 minutes and then fucking off for the rest of the class or having an affable science teacher who basically has the kids teach themselves the material.   When we started chatting her fear is that if more involved parents just give the fuck up and leave, it will also create more work for her as she also has a 5th grader this year.   Her husband, was ready to pull the ripcord long ago.   

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Ok that makes more sense. I couldnt see them doing away with a mechanism to test into higher math et al, but then again if your goal is to destroy public education anything is possible. 

To be fair, my boy reported to me they were teaching inequalities in class last week, in the 7th grade honors program.   I guess they want the kids to suck so the BOY scores are as low as possible to game the system?  

I know another boy who is in Algebra right now, and they dumped him in with the 8th graders, including for lunch.  He is already a slightly built kid.