Affordable Watches

GottaB

1 hour ago, GottaB said:

aa0a92485df82440fa0a660c6e76d282.jpg

Sized up the bracelet on my newest (third from the left). The baby blue did not appeal online but in person looks great. The bracelet even comes with the divers extension clasp which made it real easy to find a comfortable sizing.

To say I have a type is an understatement.

Most of my watches are G shocks or dive watches. My favorite divers are the citizen eco-drive divers. They look great and can be bought for a reasonable price.

The outlet store in San Marcos has a weekly sales email and will ship for $20. Be prepared to sign for delivery which can be frustrating for working folk like myself.

I really dig the green one on the left. 

• Like 1

Long Island watch is asking for feedback on color combinations for college themed colorways. 

polling is closed but perhaps a burnt orange white combo in the works  

He seems like a nice guy but he's absolutely ripping this idea off. Just like most of his designs are ripoffs. Not a fan.

Here's the UT playoff watch. This guy started doing these a few years ago and is now getting agreements in place with schools and with the college football playoff.

20240727_185115.jpg
  • Like 1

Nice looking watch.  Wrong color orange, but otherwise well done.
Agreed, he hasn't completely nailed it but he had the idea and Mark (Long Island) is trying to steal the idea. People seem to like him, but there's no denying he steals designs and ideas which I think is shitty and unoriginal.l

Agreed, he hasn't completely nailed it but he had the idea and Mark (Long Island) is trying to steal the idea. People seem to like him, but there's no denying he steals designs and ideas which I think is shitty and unoriginal.l

I don’t think he’s copying what that watch is. I don’t even think he’s using ncaa logos. I think he’s putting together a watch like he’s done a hundred times already. I think he’s releasing multiple versions of the same watch with college color schemes.

If he gets the color right, I’d consider it. Mainly because so few people get the right orange. Even if he does get the orange right he’s not the first burnt orange watch on the market. I’ve seen some brands at the co-op and elsewhere with longhorn logos that look like crap that I’ve passed on because they were too gaudy or too cheap looking.

The championship watch is pretty good looking but I’d never get anything with a championship logo on it.

I really don’t have an interest in the success of his business, but when I saw him suggesting burnt orange I figured the watch thread on the longhorn board would be a place that might be interested.

Cheers

On 9/4/2024 at 10:31 PM, MirrOlure said:

I’ve had this baby for 15+ years and have only changed out the leather strap once. Wife gave it to me but I’m thinking around $325 circa 2010? I see now they’re over $500. Excellent timepiece:

87de25e941e43cf92d30679204d9c884.jpg

That's my daily during the work week.  I'm realizing my original brown strap is going to need replacing soon.  I've seen this Khaki put on the same leather strap but in black with the cream stitching.  I think it looks sharp that way, so may try that next.

image.thumb.jpeg.59bc2b6f5660c4d41af49dff09ff0431.jpeg
My daily … a “first generation” Citizen Eco-Drive that I bought for $199 in Oct ‘99 according to the sales slip in its box.  Never was pretty and that didn’t improve with age.  A new crystal and band might help.  But, it’s never missed a day of work or play and only gains about a minute/month.  I think I’ll keep it.

Edited by VirginiaLonghorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I’ve had this baby for 15+ years and have only changed out the leather strap once. Wife gave it to me but I’m thinking around $325 circa 2010? I see now they’re over $500. Excellent timepiece:

My wife bought me the same watch at the same time period. It's just a classic piece that works like a damn good tool should.

On 9/4/2024 at 11:31 PM, MirrOlure said:

Damn good watch. I have the mechanical version on a bracelet as my hiking/camping and casual wear watch. Slim, rugged, and the 80-hour power reserve is very handy.

20240909_133115.thumb.jpg.7e5006335d5edd2c6f2719a148b81553.jpg

Edited by satyanash
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:
23 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:
Stumbled across this one earlier in the week.  I'd consider it.
Scarifour Rectangular - Orange Sunrise – Benjamin James Watches

I really like these but I liked the Maen Manhattan Ultrathin more. But it's more expensive and I'm not really buying anything right now. Still have a few coming in I have to pay for.

The Manhattan Ultrathin is nice, very nice.  Really dig the shape of the case.  I'm in need of a grey dial and I keep coming back to Moel's 528 (either the metallic fir or comet streak) with the Sellita SW200 movement.   I like to case shape since every collection needs an outlier.  I also like the Selten Meteorite; it has a quality Miyota movement.  I scratched Dekla off the list since their offerings are hand wind.  I went ahead and put myself on the list for the 528.  I did find a Kemmner Tonneau in black on eBay the other day, but I felt the 500-dollar price was a little "too much pie in the sky dream" for me.  His dream, not mine.  Time is on my side. I've seen good quality ones with paperwork go between 350-400. Black is proving to be a very difficult color to zero in on.  In the meantime, I'll keep looking to see what is out there.  I've been fairly "picky" on color and brand so far and I don't that changing.  I'm still very satisfied with what I've accumulated so far. 

528 — Pre-Order — Möels & Co (moelsandco.com)

00.00 - Natural Meteorite – Selten (seltenwatch.com)

I've got the 369 Terra Brass on order. Right call because I really like the lume on most of the other models but don't like the white hands. I also have one of the original 528s. Betina is really friendly and a very talented designer.

The Selten is great. I have photographed the Aventurine and almost bought one. Fantastic watch. I have the diver, but wish I had give with the green dial rather than the blue.

I know someone selling their Meteorite if they haven't already. Caution though, they are selling it because it's hard to read with the hands against the Meteorite. I can ask if they still have it if you're interested. I think it's in like new condition.

For an interesting shaped case, the Trafforx is an option. Made in Austin, he's requesting a new version on the 16th. Looks good. With the bracelet it has a bit of a Brew Metric vibe. Nathan is a good guy. I also really like the DuFrane Mabry. He's in Austin also.

On 9/12/2024 at 6:49 PM, Bevo&Pevo said:

Stumbled across this one earlier in the week.  I'd consider it.

Scarifour Rectangular - Orange Sunrise – Benjamin James Watches

With a display caseback, they should have at least used an elaboré-grade Sellita and/or some custom engraving. Showing off an undecorated third-party movement, 50% of which is covered by an unfinished bridge feels kind of lazy.

DSCF9443-Edit_a4f19dff-68d0-42f5-b326-52

• Like 1

Also, as a heads up, Austin's own Trafford Watch Company is launching a new Capitol Edition colorway for the Crossroads in a couple hours. Well probably sell out pretty quick... His popularity exploded after Kevin O'Leary picked the Crossroads as his favorite microbrand on Teddy Baldassarre's channel a could months ago.

I have the Mockingbird but I like the white dial on the Capitol edition. Not buying it though. 2024_0915_21192900.jpgScreenshot_20240916_092247_Chrome.jpg

I actually got it when we were in Honolulu in July.  I called every other day the week before we left and they did not have them.  The day we arrived, they got a shipment in and I got my happy ass over there immediately.

There is a Swatch store in the galleria area of Houston. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/14/2024 at 5:50 AM, HoustonHorn said:

The Selten is great. I have photographed the Aventurine and almost bought one. Fantastic watch. I have the diver, but wish I had give with the green dial rather than the blue.

I know someone selling their Meteorite if they haven't already. Caution though, they are selling it because it's hard to read with the hands against the Meteorite. I can ask if they still have it if you're interested. I think it's in like new condition.

I think I've heard enough on the Selten.  I'm old and my eyes like contrast and ease of being able to read the time.  The 528 it is.  I'll have to figure out which one.

What model is this? Additionally, I wish you would all tell us the model names when you are posting pictures. Thanks. 
Nicholas Hacko MkII. The orange is a limited series. 10 released the first year (last year), 9 this year, then, 8, etc. 55 total pieces. Not sure if any of the allocation this year is remaining. They have some other colors as well.

Case, dial and hands are all titanium, so the guilloché on the dial and the feathering on the hands is incredibly difficult.

I'm actually going to New York this week for an dinner at the NY Histological Society. Josh Hacko, Bradley Taylor, and Josh Shapiro will be there. Should be an amazing event.

2024_0921_09372100.jpg2024_0921_09412300.jpg

And on the Ostrich strap. 2024_0921_10391500.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Absolutely, I tend to get a little overly excited about watches and bore most people. Happy to include additional information about the watch and the brands.

Selten was mentioned previously. They are about to launch their Moonphase on Kickstarter on the 24th. The guilloché MOP dial is something else. I think it's being launched at about $550.

https://seltenwatch.com/
Screenshot_20240923_154511_Chrome.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1