A Quiet Place - Krasinski & Blunt

Shenanigans

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Watched it on prime this weekend and enjoyed it.  But of course, I have to be that guy and ask about a few giant plot holes that did annoy me as I was watching.

Spoiler

Corn is not a perennial so who the hell was silently planting that giant corn field?

If you can freely talk under a waterfall due to the ambient noise, seems the obvious choice is to have white noise all around your compound.  At the very least, when the monsters show up I'd have a rock concert scheduled for them and bug the hell out in the confusion. 

Seems these guys would be fairly easy to lead into a trap.  Yes, they did say they have armor that withstands bullets, but what's protecting them from fire or the concussive effects of a huge blast?  Rig a space shuttle toy to a shitload of C4 or a container of gasoline and detonate it remotely.  Note that the newspaper headlines intimate that they arrived on meteors so maybe they are immune to heat and impact, but that is stretching the laws of physics a bit far.

On a side note, most movies I watch in this genre, I figure I'd have a good chance if I make it through the first wave and understand the new rules.  Not this one.  They'd have my snoring ass within a week. 

Just now, Not a cat said:

Watched it on prime this weekend and enjoyed it.  But of course, I have to be that guy and ask about a few giant plot holes that did annoy me as I was watching.

Reveal hidden contents

Corn is not a perennial so who the hell was silently planting that giant corn field?

If you can freely talk under a waterfall due to the ambient noise, seems the obvious choice is to have white noise all around your compound.  At the very least, when the monsters show up I'd have a rock concert scheduled for them and bug the hell out in the confusion. 

Seems these guys would be fairly easy to lead into a trap.  Yes, they did say they have armor that withstands bullets, but what's protecting them from fire or the concussive effects of a huge blast?  Rig a space shuttle toy to a shitload of C4 or a container of gasoline and detonate it remotely.  Note that the newspaper headlines intimate that they arrived on meteors so maybe they are immune to heat and impact, but that is stretching the laws of physics a bit far.

On a side note, most movies I watch in this genre, I figure I'd have a good chance if I make it through the first wave and understand the new rules.  Not this one.  They'd have my snoring ass within a week. 

i'll answer your question:  its a stupid shit movie

hadn't seen it until this past weekend because we've got a newborn and I needed a silent movie to enjoy next to her in the nuna.  

I liked it.  Wasn't as gripping as many called it, but well done and enjoyable.  Took me watching the movie to finally realize the meaning of the title.  It's how the Aliens refer to our planet to their friends..."We found this 'Quiet Place', you'd like it there..."  

• 5 years later...
On 7/4/2024 at 1:14 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

Boring. Worst of the 3. Nothing new. Wouldnt see it

Yeah, was the worst by a wide margin. I can only watch a monster snatch a dude in the  back drop about 10 times before it gets old. 

Not a perfect or great movie by any stretch, but I thought this was much better than the second, or at least had more new and interesting things to say than the second. This movie is much more focused on the human element (death, grief, etc.) than the alien/apocalyptic world it occupies (although there is plenty of that), and I thought Nyongo was fantastic. It’s a sad movie, and I’m not surprised it doesn’t play well with the franchise/popcorn crowd it will attract.

So they knew pretty quick the aliens can’t swim and that they were attracted to noise. I feel like they could’ve been defeated somewhat quickly. I don’t see how they could’ve caused an entire global apocalypse. 

17 hours ago, Helobious said:

So they knew pretty quick the aliens can’t swim and that they were attracted to noise. I feel like they could’ve been defeated somewhat quickly. I don’t see how they could’ve caused an entire global apocalypse. 

Geography is always the biggest plot hole in post-apocalypse movies. Was there a 24 hour meteor shower that covered the whole world?

If noise plus water kill, then Tony already taught us the strategy:

image.png.a6611950fb0820e74cfe8ad1fd2161f4.png

• Hook 'Em 2

My kids and I were talking about this the other day. Would have required millions of them to be dropped globally to wipe out humanity. Otherwise, as you say, we would come up with ways to lure them in and wipe them out.

I thought their whole deal though was their "body armor" was impenetrable from our weapons, save for missies and ICBM's which everybody probably figured out wasn't a great idea to just launching en masse, all willy-nilly style around a bunch of civilians.  They also never explain what those things eat/drink and how they "breathe."  It's like "War of the Worlds" with Cruise, Krasinski immediately gets how they operate as a plot device.  In hindsight, the idea was pretty original but has clearly played itself out.  That HBO series "The Last of Us" was an interesting premise on the usual zombie trope.  Earth gets a little hotter and the fungi adapt to using us as incubators.  

I think it was the TOS.  Can't remember the name and my google searches are proving futile.  But somebody mentioned this book or short story about how zombies and aliens and all that are just fictional fantasy.  But that we are embedded with a virus to contain our numbers.  Organized Religion.  That is implanted into us by Nature when we first started forming states and cities and societies.  After which, we no longer fought one another for food or water as was the way of every other species on this rock.  We fought one another for our gods to thin the herd.  And the failsafe built in is that anytime something else of actual natural origins kicks in (space invaders, mushrooms, Covid, or plague)...the religious zealots will come out of the woodwork, claim divine punishment, and as a result---we've had roughly 1 billion deaths over religious disputes over the years.  The concluding theorem is that is a virus placed into us by Nature herself to control our numbers and our consumption of the planet.  If you notice in most dystopian/post-apocalyptic movies/shows lately, there are no mass worshipping scenes, no hordes of dead in churches, nobody preaching from the rooftops.  No wrath of god, nor return of the Messiah.  The book goes to conclude that just as religious allegory has been used as campfire storytelling for millennia, we use these modern day films and books and zombie tales and alien invaders and body snatchers as a way to express a suppressed memory.  The real invasion comes from inside of us, when we turn on each other for a different religious practice.  If you question it, you might make too much noise and the armored monsters might get you.  Happy Sunday.

On 7/7/2024 at 1:10 PM, YGIFS said:

I think it was the TOS.  Can't remember the name and my google searches are proving futile.  But somebody mentioned this book or short story about how zombies and aliens and all that are just fictional fantasy.  But that we are embedded with a virus to contain our numbers.  Organized Religion.  That is implanted into us by Nature when we first started forming states and cities and societies.  After which, we no longer fought one another for food or water as was the way of every other species on this rock.  We fought one another for our gods to thin the herd.  And the failsafe built in is that anytime something else of actual natural origins kicks in (space invaders, mushrooms, Covid, or plague)...the religious zealots will come out of the woodwork, claim divine punishment, and as a result---we've had roughly 1 billion deaths over religious disputes over the years.  The concluding theorem is that is a virus placed into us by Nature herself to control our numbers and our consumption of the planet.  If you notice in most dystopian/post-apocalyptic movies/shows lately, there are no mass worshipping scenes, no hordes of dead in churches, nobody preaching from the rooftops.  No wrath of god, nor return of the Messiah.  The book goes to conclude that just as religious allegory has been used as campfire storytelling for millennia, we use these modern day films and books and zombie tales and alien invaders and body snatchers as a way to express a suppressed memory.  The real invasion comes from inside of us, when we turn on each other for a different religious practice.  If you question it, you might make too much noise and the armored monsters might get you.  Happy Sunday.

That's what the simulator wants you to believe.

On 7/7/2024 at 10:10 AM, YGIFS said:

I thought their whole deal though was their "body armor" was impenetrable from our weapons, save for missies and ICBM's

just gotta blow a dog whistle and then pop 'em with a 12-gauge.  pretty easy, tbh.

Isn’t that part of the premise?  They arrived in the western hemisphere during daylight when most people had their dog whistles and shotguns in their other pants?  

Wife and I went to see A Quiet Place: Day One on Friday on a whim. We hadn't seen any of them, somehow just never popped up on our radar until now. Day One stood pretty well on its own with no knowledge of the first two movies, and we both enjoyed it way more than we expected, considering we aren't big on horror or most monster flicks.

We then watched the first 2 movies the last couple of nights and also found them very well done. Krasinski did good work and I would watch Emily Blunt in just about anything. Cillian Murphy was also very good and the deaf daughter was a badass in both movies.

Just from a survival standpoint, it does seem like there are some obvious solutions or protections that could be done. Build a shelter near a natural source of white noise like a waterfall. Build a shelter directly on the water with a boat or raft that could push off when an incoming attack is happening. Create an underground bunker that is lined with sound barriers like you would find in a recording studio. The family should have random loudspeakers or noise generators in the woods all around their house that could blare noise so that when an attack is incoming, fire those speakers up to lure the creatures away from the house and at least buy them time in a crisis. Even in scenes when a character was in a standoff with a creature, at least pick up an object and throw it across the room to draw them away.

Seems pretty obvious there will be at least one more. They've told the middle of the story, and then the beginning, but they could easily write an ending where humans eventually triumph.