The Surly Road Cycling Thread

idigTexas

On 7/15/2024 at 8:42 PM, Basil said:

Hi everybody! I’m 47 and blew out part of my knee running high mileage. Surgery was in early May. I’d like to just go right back to running when I’m cleared in a couple of weeks but I’ve been highly urged to take up biking as well to reduce impact on my knees. I know very little about road biking.

I’m getting a used Roubaix this weekend and got some basic kit (helmet, jersey, strobe, etc.) from Trek. I plan to jump in and start with a 15-mile ride. I’d like to do a 35 mile ride with the Trek group at the end of August and a 60-miler with my brother and friends in October. No idea how feasible that it but going to try.

Any advice or words of wisdom for an older biking newb?

Edit- I did get sized and a 56 or 58 should work for me. I’m 6’ 170 lbs. with a longer torso. The Roubaix is 56 cm.

Try to gef as much info as you can on proper form.

Dont be afraid to go ride without you kit. Just put some shorts on an do 10 to 15 miles.

Ride in group for motivation. Road cycling can get boring real fast.

I am 57 and started when I was 55. I do 100 to 150 miles per week at 17 to 18.8 average mph. 5'11" 190lbs.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

I did 16 mile this morning at 15 mph.  My neck and back are sore but I guess that's to be expected.  Trak fitted the bike for me but didn't comment on form.  I'll look that up.

2 hours ago, Basil said:

I did 16 mile this morning at 15 mph.  My neck and back are sore but I guess that's to be expected.  Trak fitted the bike for me but didn't comment on form.  I'll look that up.

It takes awhile before certain parts aren't sore .

Also, as a runner you are aware of the tremendous benefits of hill and speed work. Those are easy 30 to 45 minute workouts that you should do during the week.

As cyclists (and runners to a lesser extent), we become too infatuated with distance.

Distance is great for seeing a lot of ground or prepping for a charity ride, but can be time consuming and obsesive in nature.

This is supposed to be fun. The hurt doesn't need to last for hours. That is what the speed and hill work are for.

I am in the process of changing my mileage I mentioned above to do just that.

Most of us on this board need to realize that we are never going to average more than 20mph and should try to enjoy this sport more.

I do it mostly because, for the most part, it makes me feel like a kid again. I run a simple set up and just ride.

That being said, I think it would be super cool to do some cross  country bike packing shit.

• Like 1

It takes awhile before certain parts aren't sore .
Also, as a runner you are aware of the tremendous benefits of hill and speed work. Those are easy 30 to 45 minute workouts that you should do during the week.
As cyclists (and runners to a lesser extent), we become too infatuated with distance.
Distance is great for seeing a lot of ground or prepping for a charity ride, but can be time consuming and obsesive in nature.
This is supposed to be fun. The hurt doesn't need to last for hours. That is what the speed and hill work are for.
I am in the process of changing my mileage I mentioned above to do just that.
Most of us on this board need to realize that we are never going to average more than 20mph and should try to enjoy this sport more.
I do it mostly because, for the most part, it makes me feel like a kid again. I run a simple set up and just ride.
That being said, I think it would be super cool to do some cross  country bike packing shit.

I like the B group rides out here west of Houston. They run 18 - 20 mph avg. and go roughly 30 miles. I hate going farther. I also hate riding from Katy to Brookshire on Hwy 90.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I like the B group rides out here west of Houston. They run 18 - 20 mph avg. and go roughly 30 miles. I hate going farther. I also hate riding from Katy to Brookshire on Hwy 90.

What is “west of Houston?” I’m at Katy freeway and 8.

Yep. I’m way out west. I’m looking to start up with Handle Bar Cycle. They are off west park.

Some of the other shops around town have rides. My favorite was Bicycle World, but they sold and then they were run into the ground.

On 7/15/2024 at 10:43 PM, Goofyboy said:

Any opinions on indoor trainers? I’m look at the Wahoo KickR Core. Thoughts?

I have a Tacx Neo, which I highly recommend, but any of the top line trainers from Wahoo or Tacx won't steer you wrong.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2024 at 7:07 PM, EastHorn said:

Man altitude ain't no joke but views of Copper Triangle were sick.  If any horns want to tackle it next year we can have a peloton.  

It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock and roll.

I huffed my way up the Furkapass yesterday myself.

20240816-090113.jpg

20240816-091933.jpg

20240816-090607.jpg

20240816-085600.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, G650 said:

It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock and roll.

I huffed my way up the Furkapass yesterday myself.

Man you had great weather.  That's awesome.  It's insane how the tour riders do that multiple days in a row while racing.  

3 hours ago, EastHorn said:

Man you had great weather.  That's awesome.  It's insane how the tour riders do that multiple days in a row while racing.  

Its funny, I was actually thinking about that as I was grinding up. How crazy is it these dudes race over 3 or 4 of these things a day for days one end. Wild.

Had great weather that day for sure. It was hot as shit on Tuesday in Como when I rode the Ghisallo and Sormano, suffered my ass off. Starting raining here in Lucerne yesterday, but that's been only time this trip so feel fortunate!

I went on my first group ride today. Didn’t crash or cause anyone else to crash which was my baseline goal. I went with the C group and started towards the back. The group got split in half at the first light a quarter mile in and that was the last time I saw the C group leader. I ended up in I guess a C minus group for about 15 miles until the rest point where I accidentally left with the B group. These guys were going about as fast as I could hack it. They dropped me and a few others with about 5 miles to go. It was fucking HOOOT by the time we finished about 11:30. But it was a good experience. Looking forward to another.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Basil said:

I went on my first group ride today. Didn’t crash or cause anyone else to crash which was my baseline goal. I went with the C group and started towards the back. The group got split in half at the first light a quarter mile in and that was the last time I saw the C group leader. I ended up in I guess a C minus group for about 15 miles until the rest point where I accidentally left with the B group. These guys were going about as fast as I could hack it. They dropped me and a few others with about 5 miles to go. It was fucking HOOOT by the time we finished about 11:30. But it was a good experience. Looking forward to another.

Sometimes it's not the effort or the miles, but the time of day.

I say that even though I do hill sprints at 6pm, but that is only s 45 min workout that is about 30 minutes of lollygagging or rest.

My 11 year old daughter rode the Hotter n Hell yesterday in Wichita Falls.  She did 25 miles at 10.3 mph.  Unfortunately had a friend that rode with her or her pace/time could have been much better.  Cycling is the only sport she has ever really gotten into.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/19/2024 at 11:42 AM, Storm the Field said:

Haven't touched my bike in months. Currently have a flat tire that I need to replace, but too damn hot to even bother with it. Looking forward to getting back out on the streets later this Fall, but gonna keep collecting dust in the garage for a few more weeks.

User name does not check out.

• Haha 1

Sometimes it's not the effort or the miles, but the time of day.
I say that even though I do hill sprints at 6pm, but that is only s 45 min workout that is about 30 minutes of lollygagging or rest.

Yeah, it was the best more than anything. I usually leave to run or ride longer distances at 5 or 5:30 am and it’s still decent when I’m done. I was suffering the last few miles and I knew it wasn’t going to be over when I got to the finish line because I was going to need time to cool down down. The Fanta I downed was really nice.

It was really cool being able to take up space in busy-ish streets I’ve driven on for years. I’m usually alone and even a single car behind me bugs me until it’s gone past. Don’t really have to worry about that with 30-40 in a group.
  • Hook 'Em 2