The Stephen King Thread

dcbc

On 6/16/2024 at 8:58 AM, Travo said:

I’ve never read any SK, but have read this whole thread. I do not consider myself to be a big fan or horror, but I like drama and classic works. Also, I’m remembering that my first books read as a child were from the Goosebumps series, which I assume was influenced by SK. I’m perhaps in an enviable position for a newb as I have not seen the movie adaptations, or if I have, it’s been at least ten years, so it’ll all be pretty fresh and untainted. I want to read at least 3-5 of his books, so below is the loose plan.

I think I’m going to start with IT then 11/22/63 and slot in Carrie either after or before these two. I might try to squeeze in the Duma Key audiobook since I’m curious to hear John Slattery’s narration (generally prefer to read than listen). I also have Pet Sematary and Different Seasons slotted high on the list. My general reading list is extensive so this will probably take a while.

or the stand.  I think the first 2/3 of the stand is the most fun I’ve had reading a book in my life. 

On 11/30/2023 at 10:38 AM, Superhero said:

The Langoliers   - meh

the tv version was a big player in my childhood. 

On 6/16/2024 at 4:46 PM, NorthLoop said:

It and 11/22 are both pretty long so keep that in mind

They're perfect to read in that order though.  11/22/63 is my favorite; IT is a close second.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished The Stand after getting it for Christmas a couple years ago. At 1000+ pages it’s not easy but it’s pretty good. Very long build up to the eventual conflict and lots of good character arcs. 

Apparently the 2020 miniseries isn’t very good, but the whole 1990 series is on YouTube. It’s got the production value of an 80s Dr Who season, but a good cast. 

6 minutes ago, MrX said:

Always recommend Salem’s Lot for a first time King reader. 

I think that was my first one. 

Never read The Stand, but have watched the 90s miniseries more than once. How different is the book?

• 2 weeks later...

So my 8th grade son has a hefty bit of reading assignments this year, and first up is a biography or autobiography, no other parameters.  I ask him, "Are you thinking about someone in sports, politics, maybe science?"  He responds, "I was thinking about Stephen King."  And next up is fantasy, and he wants to read Fairy Tale.

spacer.png

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 1

I read You Like it Darker. It was fine but I  think this was the first set of SK short stories where there wasn’t one that will stick with me. All of them seemed like variations of ones he’s done before. Danny Coughlin’s Bad Dream has the antagonist who is slowly deteriorating mentally, Rattlesnakes has the vengeful ghosts of a tragic death, The Dreamers has some concepts from Revival (which in turn borrowed from some old Weird Fiction short stories), Weird Willie is a variation of Gramma. Only The Answer Man had a fresh concept that I’ll remember, even if it isn’t a great story. Apparently he started writing it in the 70’s, so maybe that’s why. 

It makes me a little sad to think that the Master of Horror, who I’ve been reading for 40+ years and has given me so much enjoyment, might finally be slowing down.  I just got Fairy Tale and Holly and I’m glad to see some good reviews of the former on here, so fingers crossed.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

It makes me a little sad to think that the Master of Horror, who I’ve been reading for 40+ years and has given me so much enjoyment, might finally be slowing down.  I just got Fairy Tale and Holly and I’m glad to see some good reviews of the former on here, so fingers crossed.

He might be, and yes, it's sad, just like listening to the last couple U2 albums and thinking, "Damn, they just can't bring it anymore like they used to."

But he can still deliver his fastball.  Fairly Tale was excellent.  And after reading If It Bleeds, the novella featuring Holly Gibney, I'm looking forward to Holly.  I think he writes that character very well, and I thoroughly enjoyed the Mercedes trilogy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

^ I've never read a lot of King, but got interested after hearing some interviews on NYT book review audio. Started with some shorter works. Have liked From a Buick 8, The Long Walk, Under the Dome, and Duma Key.

The character development of Holly is great. In addition to If It Bleeds, I enjoyed the other two with her as a primary character, The Outsider (2018) and Holly.

1 hour ago, retread said:

^ I've never read a lot of King, but got interested after hearing some interviews on NYT book review audio. Started with some shorter works. Have liked From a Buick 8, The Long Walk, Under the Dome, and Duma Key.

I don't know if it's one of his more popular books, but I loved Duma Key and have read it twice.