Covers better than Original

Jerry Callo

Posted (edited)

Happened to be searching random Taylor songs recently just to learn if there is one in existence that I might actually enjoy and stumbled across this cover. It's extremely solid and I love the twang and tone she gave it.

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2024 at 9:23 AM, Chopper said:

Happened to be searching random Taylor songs recently just to learn if there is one in existence that I might actually enjoy and stumbled across this cover. It's extremely solid and I love the twang and tone she gave it.

I think that. She could fart into a microphone and her fans would absolutely go nuts and tear the place down because they thought that it was the best fart ever and Taylor showed them that it is okay to fart into a microphone in public.

This video above is straight up Elvis/ One Direction/ Beatles screaming your lungs out fanaticism. 

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't know quite where to put this, and I apologize if this is the wrong thread in advance.  This popped up at random in my youtube feed and I just thought it was so incredible some of you might enjoy it.  Only quasi a cover, but to say that she is talented is a bit of an understatement.  

• Hook 'Em 3

On 5/14/2024 at 1:27 AM, ajax said:

This version is better than the original, mainly because I can't stand the original. I guess there was a good song in there somewhere.

Taylor Demp could get it.

These 5 words should never appear in this sequence.  
I don't like Alien Ant Farm.  I think their version of Smooth Criminal is better than Michael Jackson's.  I don't know if I've ever heard another one of their songs.

14 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I don't like Alien Ant Farm.  I think their version of Smooth Criminal is better than Michael Jackson's.  I don't know if I've ever heard another one of their songs.

I also like 2Cellos version better than Michael Jackson's.  I'm beginning to think I just don't care for MJ's version.

I've seen Kacey a few times.  Always great.  One time was an Austin club gig at Momo's -- I doubt there were 100 people there.  I stood right at the front of the stage, maybe 10 feet to her right.  She was crazy good . . . and very pregnant.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/23/2024 at 10:33 AM, Celery Man said:

this has been stuck in my head. note that I'm not arguing that it is better than the original. but i like it

Thirteen might be a top-10 all time song for me. It's fucking perfection.

I just back from seeing the movie Twisters.

There's a scene when the main character is walking past some guys playing acoustic guitars and the song is "Wall of Death" by the great Richard Thompson. 

I never thought I would hear such an obscure song in a big budget blockbuster.

I wouldn't say this is better than the original, but it's a damn good version. 

Jesus.  She was simply spectacular.  I love it when she gets into that mid-high register and starts to push it.  She gets just a touch of rasp.  It's clear at 2:43.  "Whoa oh oh baby, take a good look at my face".  Just an astonishing natural talent.

50 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Love the shrug of the shoulders at the very end.

Since you mention a shrug and this is a cover thread, I feel obligated to post this. I’m sure it’s been posted here previously at least once and probably by me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I scrolled through the thread and I don't think this has been posted yet, and I was gonna say I prefer Urge Overkill's version of "Girl, You'll be a Woman Soon" to Neil Diamond's, but I just listened to them both and I don't know that I think that anymore. It's a pretty faithful rendition, and I think they're both pretty fucking cool

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, ajax said:

There have been a lot of songs about underaged girls, way too many. I remember hearing a comedy bit about it. Can't remember who the comic was.

Neil Diamond has the double whammy, though:  "Girl" and "Sweet Caroline".  Fucking creep.

Yes, but Jimi created it as basically an on the spot improvisation.

SRV had a loooong time to listen, consider, and improve.

Well, that, and he was just a better player.

#reallyducks
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/14/2023 at 6:32 PM, Chad Fuck said:

True, and it was at a time when covers had fallen out in favor of originals.  Not like the 60s when everyone covered everyone whenever.  I mean, Hendrix covered Sgt. Pepper's like the day after it came out.  

Man, I love the Pixies and that would have made a great Pixies original.  But to me, the crunchy guitars and moaning vocals of the brothers Reid completely make that tune.

On 3/19/2024 at 2:06 PM, Carl Spackler said:

The original is really good, but I think the Clash probably surpassed it.  The urgency is compelling.

The Clash out-reggaed and out-skaed a lot of Jamaicans.

On 2/12/2024 at 9:47 AM, Chad Fuck said:

Speaking of, this is one of their covers that I never get tired of.  And frankly, I do think it's better than the original. Forgive me if I posted it here before.

This is actually a cover.

• 2 weeks later...