Gettysburg

UpperWestside

On a serious note, if the Army of the Potomac had had a decent commander pre-Grant, you wouldn't have seen a major battle inside Pennsyl-fucking-vania years into the war. That was inexcusable. McClellan had everything at his fingertips to win, or hell, at least stalemate deep inside Virginia. I mean, if you're in the Union Army and got your leg shot off under Grant, he at least keeps on trying to make your shot-off leg count for something. Get your leg shot off under McClellan, and he's runnin for President on the Fuck It, I Quit ticket.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 1/5/2020 at 8:51 PM, RamjetFDO said:
On 1/5/2020 at 8:17 PM, otisdog said:
Planning on taking my wife to DC and show here what our nation was founded on, with a side trip to Gettysburg....recommended books for background...?

"The Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara.

I'm not really a history or civil war buff, but I had to read that book in HS, then again in Forgie's Civil War class at UT. One of my top five all time favorite books.

• 4 years later...
Posted (edited)

The nation is saved over the next 3 days. Tonight men went to sleep, many of them will never see the 4th.

This man helped tilt the battle to the North, before one short was fired ….

Lee was a piss poor general, just a fyi 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

The nation is saved over the next 3 days. Tonight men went to sleep, many of them will never see the 4th.

This man helped tilt the battle to the North, before one short was fired ….

Lee was a piss poor general, just a fyi 

If Stuart had done his job the confederate army would have had the high ground. He was supposed to be Lee’s eyes and instead was marauding 

Lee was a fantastic general. He knew the war would be won or lost at Gettysburg and he pressed the attack despite not having the high ground because of this knowledge. The south did not have the manpower or material to withstand a real war effort from the north. His only chance was to rout the union army at Gettysburg and march on DC

On 1/5/2020 at 10:32 AM, Armybrat said:

Unfortunately I’ve only been to Pea Ridge and Andersonville.

Would love to take a road trip to Gettysburg and to the Little Big Horn.

Honestly Brat, we’re just all happy you survived Andersonville.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

23 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Honestly Brat, we’re just all happy you survived Andersonville.

Heh, when my Dad was a teenager in rural northwest Missouri a century ago, one of the local residents was a CW veteran who had survived Andersonville. That old man had some interesting experiences to tell about. 
His arm had been amputated below the shoulder and the doctor put some maggots on the sutured wound to eat away the dead flesh which helped prevent gangrene. 
His tentmate had a shot out eye socket,and every morning Dad’s friend would urinate it so the uric acid would piss away infections.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Drool 1

On 1/6/2020 at 7:15 PM, RDCanecutter said:

On a serious note, if the Army of the Potomac had had a decent commander pre-Grant, you wouldn't have seen a major battle inside Pennsyl-fucking-vania years into the war. That was inexcusable. McClellan had everything at his fingertips to win, or hell, at least stalemate deep inside Virginia. I mean, if you're in the Union Army and got your leg shot off under Grant, he at least keeps on trying to make your shot-off leg count for something. Get your leg shot off under McClellan, and he's runnin for President on the Fuck It, I Quit ticket.

Lee should have been that General. Hopefully he’s in hell right now wishing he had been

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

6 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

His tentmate had a shot out eye socket,and every morning Dad’s friend would urinate it so the uric acid would piss away infections.

IMG_2919.jpeg.d4d12ddbe9d59bea9c7cde188da9bf1b.jpeg

“ No, uric acid won’t do shit for eye sepsis, I just told him it did.   Mostly, I just liked to piss in his eye.”

• Haha 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 hours ago, Hitch said:

McClellan would certainly disagree with Lee being a piss poor general. 

Abe  Lincoln also.

Lee was his first choice to lead the Union.

Unfortunately, state loyalty was greater back then and Lee couldn't abandon his home state of Virginia, thus leading the Northern Army of Virginia and the South overall.

• Hook 'Em 1