CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Just to circle back on the PPP funding. Almost 22MM SMBs filed for PPP. The $350B initial fund was exhausted on less than 2MM applicants.

The second round of funding they’re incapable of passing is for an additional $250B. Do the math.

Meanwhile, Treasury is buying $2T in junk assets.

There is a bloodbath coming, folks. It’s about to get real ugly.

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

For the 57th time, I'm talking about Texas. 37,000 dead in the country is bad and where there's hundreds a day dying, of course they should still have restrictions. But it makes no sense in a country as big as ours, with such diverse conditions on the ground, to have us all living under the same conditions during COVID. There's zero reason for us to live under the same level of restrictions for as long as New York.

One of the very few positive things about this pandemic is I think (hope) it will shift people's focus more to local and state government, localism.

I didn't answer because it was the kind of nonsense diversion that someone brings up when they have nothing else to offer. 

If you want localism, fine.  Eliminate all federal taxes and allow states to control their borders.  Each state can agree to join the dollar zone, as well as join a labor and customs union, and can fund these things according to the guidelines of new interstate treaties.

Until then though, NYers pay $250 billion a year to the federal government and only $75 billion to the state government. How many ventilators and masks do you think Cuomo could buy with 250 billion? 

This has been the primary issue. We have seen good leadership from local governments. Those same local governments are cash strapped. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chult86 said:

While the strip below isn't entirely about the matter at hand, it always made me laugh.

spacer.png

Two Russians in the USSR were talking. One of them says that "Over in America that they can make fun of thier country and nothing will happen to them." The other one looks at his comrad and says that "We too can also make fun of America, and nothing will happen to us either."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

This is exactly right. There is no plan. Only press conferences and guidelines. But don’t dare discuss that on the fucking current events board...

You know what? I understand that they want to stay focused on data, best practices and what would be proper policy to get us out of this. I don't read that thread very much but I assume that is the majority of posts. It is kind of horrible to see this made into a political football. How the fuck is this okay? 

I personally used to be like that, not wanting to see the political side of things at all. But this administration took that from me because you can't put your head in the sand and just go about business as usual. You have to see the craven awful politics that is being practiced because it is fucking up not only our republic but now our very lives. You have to see it,  get involved/back a politician that you think can fix it.  You have to keep your head on a swivel because the shit that is flying will hit you in the face if you keep your eyes closed.  I care more about the safety of my fellow Texans than I do about the fact that I am at half pay right now. That can be fixed, but no one should suffer from this disease or lose loved ones because of it. We need to prioritize health safety first then the economy next. It can be figured out and planned conjointly but that isn't the agenda of this administration and our governor either, it seems.  So I'll give to the campaigns of leaders who believe in science and in helping ALL of the people in our country and I'll keep track of this ugly shit. 

Edited by burntorangebongos
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

You know what? I understand that they want to stay focused on data, best practices and what would be proper policy to get us out of this. I don't read that thread very much but I assume that is the majority of posts. It is kind of horrible to see this made into a political football. How the fuck is this okay? 

I personally used to be like that, not wanting to see the political side of things at all. But this administration took that from me because you can't put your head in the sand and just go about business as usual. You have to see the craven awful politics that is being practiced because it is fucking up not only our republic but now our very lives. You have to see it,  get involved/back a politician that you think can fix it.  You have to keep your head on a swivel because the shit that is flying will hit you in the face if you keep your eyes closed.  I care more about the safety of my fellow Texans than I do about the fact that I am at half pay right now. That can be fixed, but no one should suffer from this disease or lose loved ones because of it. We need to prioritize health safety first then the economy next. It can be figured out and planned conjointly but that isn't the agenda of this administration and our governor either, it seems.  So I'll give to the campaigns of leaders who believe in science and in helping ALL of the people in our country and I'll keep track of this ugly shit. 

Except that’s not what that thread is. Instead they explore talking points diverting attention and fixing blame elsewhere. The groupthink of which they complain is in this forum is as bad or worse there and simply reflects the overall tribalism that seems more and more intractable these days. 

When you add in the bullying and insults from a few it really has become a shit show. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

How to people go back to work if daycares and schools aren’t open?

It’s a pretty basic question. Phase 1 still has them closed and not everyone can telework.

I mean... just take them to the movie theaters or the gym and drop them off for the day?

This shit is whack.

These guidelines are so slapdickedly put together it’s almost laughable if, you know, it wasn’t life and death.

That is a great point because kids are going to be taken into a lot of work places or public places or unfamiliar private homes where they will be exposed to less controlled environments.

18 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Fucking Florida.

Fucking Florida.  Godfuckingdammit.  They are intent on making sure this fucking thing spreads like wildfire, aren't they?

So did Florida fully 100% open up all restaurants and retail shops?

How does opening beaches alone stimulate your economy?     

• Like 1

This ties to the post of tweets describing how the ultra wealthy manipulate the population for their gain:

Apparently Trump is fine with a lot of Americans dying to keep the economy from tanking.   

This serves him because a good economy is the one thing that could keep him in office.  Plus it keeps the donations from the wealthy rolling in.   

So if it's ok to sacrifice the common man for the economy, then I think it should only be fair that the economy sacrifice for the common man.  And by protecting the economy, we really are talking about keeping the uber wealthy wealthy.  

For every COVID death then go to one of the Forbes richest list and take all their wealth and redistribute it into the citizenry.    They don't have to die, just make a sacrifice like they expect us to do for them.  Do this until they force him to have a workable plan that will spare as many lives as possible.  

Out of all of them, these asshole cabinet morons, I really despise that DeVos cunt most.   One thing about this trump administration, he's brought many of these greedy fuckers into the daylight.  But they are like cockroaches, no morals or empathy and a strong survival instinct.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DigDug said:

So did Florida fully 100% open up all restaurants and retail shops?

How does opening beaches alone stimulate your economy?     

It's ok, the beaches are only open like five hours a day. Because that's how viruses work. Six, you're in danger of it spreading. Five, you're good. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 4th&Five said:

DeSantis is the only person in this thing worse than Trump.  It's a low fucking bar and he's crawling under it like a retarded worm.

One of my closest friends dates a UT prof from Florida.  Her parents are high muckety mucks in the Tampa political scene.  They're Dems, but for some reason they end up at events with DeSantis, and often.  My buddy got dragged to one of them, and after a fairly heated conversation with the governor, his take was he couldn't decide if DeSantis was "more stupid than evil or more evil than stupid".  Direct quote.  Pretty nice turn of the phrase.

3 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Let’s see what happens with Florida’s death toll over the next 2-4 weeks and then start bleeting about how awful these restrictions are

Open Florida and Mississippi, 100%. Let them be the social guinea pigs on opening up the economy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

A fucking cabinet member is directly funding protests against a Governor during a global crisis.

While progressives & Dems are bickering over whether or not to vote for Biden and lack of enthusiasm, the GOP is implementing their plan for political warfare heading into the General Election. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, GRHorn said:

What multiple of the number of dead do you want to use the food bank? Because right now in San Antonio if you count 60,000 new people in line it’s 1621x.

We’re talking Texas, numbnuts. Last I checked Trump didn’t decide if our schools were or if people here were going to be allowed to work.

I respect that you have an actual rebuttal, but I disagree that what you say is a middle ground. I want better testing now too, but waiting another month or whatever doesn’t make sense with the numbers we’re dealing with here. Testing will keep increasing as we slowly open things up. As it does, utilize it more and more for tracking and decision making. While this is happening people will continue naturally distancing more than before, masks will be worn, and yes it is likely to be less transmissible in warmer weather. 

Negged for pretending sensibility while shifting positions and accusing others of irrationality. Also, as of the quoted post, you've failed to answer the question about your likely vote for Trump. I haven't often negged you, but this is a particularly poor performance trying to justify bad policies initiated by bloody handed sociopaths.

White House economic advisor Stephen Moore says Americans protesting stay-at-home orders are “modern-day Rosa Parks.” “I call these people the modern-day Rosa Parks — they are protesting against injustice and a loss of liberties."

I was thinking the other day that I notice a strong resemblance between the two:

33a76f18ad78c0a29c96fba08bbb668d

Rosa-Parks-bus-Montgomery-Alabama-1956.j

44 minutes ago, Red Five said:

It's ok, the beaches are only open like five hours a day. Because that's how viruses work. Six, you're in danger of it spreading. Five, you're good. 

Why didn't they mandate that they have masks/bandanas on hand? That way, if they get closer than the 6 foot social distance rule, they can still protect each other? I wear a bandana on the greenbelt in case I might get close to someone for some reason. Last week, I almost stumbled on a big ass 3 and a half foot snake and warned some people coming on the trail the other way. The man wanted to get close and take pictures of it. We might have gotten closer than we should but I put my bandana on. I was more concerned about the big ass rat snake.  Anyway, seems to me that is what can happen on the beach too.

15 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

White House economic advisor Stephen Moore says Americans protesting stay-at-home orders are “modern-day Rosa Parks.” “I call these people the modern-day Rosa Parks — they are protesting against injustice and a loss of liberties."

I was thinking the other day that I notice a strong resemblance between the two:

33a76f18ad78c0a29c96fba08bbb668d

I like the guy on the right got the "Frozen II" commemorative magazine for this rifle.  Can't wait for all the NRA experts to come by and correct us on our lingo by the way.  

3 hours ago, Nivek said:

Only the wealthy need ppe. Poors and people without live-in Scandinavian nannies need to risk it.

The wealthy aren't even gonna go out. You think Dr Phil is gonna have live audiences or go to grocery stores?  Hell no. He wants poor people to go kill themselves to save his investments.  Same with Trump. They are going to assume exactly zero infection risk themselves. If Phil wants people to really believe his message, then his fat ass should be right in the middle of one of these dumbass protestor crowds instead of in his bunker. 

Fuck all of them. 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Bringing the country together as always. 

normal - “he gave them everything they wanted”

trump - “he gave them everything they would have wanted to hear in terms of gaining ground on the coronavirus”

he has such a wonderful economy with words.