Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

46 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I agree...the criteria needs to be very strict for jersey retirment. IMO Colt's number shouldn't have been retired. 

Layne 22
Ricky 34
Earl 20
Nobis 60
VY 10 

Should be only ones at this moment.

Colt meets the criteria. Wtf is your problem with him?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I agree...the criteria needs to be very strict for jersey retirment. IMO Colt's number shouldn't have been retired. 

Layne 22
Ricky 34
Earl 20
Nobis 60
VY 10 

Should be only ones at this moment.

10 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Colt meets the criteria. Wtf is your problem with him?

Yeah, wtf?

In 2009, Colt was a unanimous and consensus All American and won the Walter Camp Player of the Year Award. He also won the:

• Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award
  • Davey O'Brien Award
  • Maxwell Award
  • Manning Award
Edited by MuellerHorn

3 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Yeah, wtf?

In 2009, Colt was a unanimous and consensus All American and won the Walter Camp Player of the Year Award. He also won the:

• Davey O'Brien Award
  • Maxwell Award
  • Manning Award

I just think he needed a Heisman or a national title delivered. Nobody looks at the Davey O'Brien award as anything but a consolation most years for the Heisman in years the Heisman winner doesn't win that award. Winning a Heisman shouldn't even guarantee that. Schools have more Heisman winners than us and they don't retire their numbers. Like I said it should be more strict on what gets retired and unfortunately that means some great players we have come through won't get their number retired. Say Blue has a great season and wins the Heisman this year....does that mean we should retire 23? No it doesn't.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

Just now, TrashMaster G said:

What a load of crap.

Colt 100% deserves to be included. Maybe it's the reverse-halo effect of coming right after Vince, but people forget just exactly how good he was.

Maybe so but at best he's 3rd or 4th best QB in longhorn history.

Layne, Vince, and maybe even Street are ahead of him. That's also how I look at it.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Maybe so but at best he's 3rd or 4th best QB in longhorn history.

Layne, Vince, and maybe even Street are ahead of him. That's also how I look at it.

When Street loses a game, I’ll bump him down. Until then, #3 is fine. And I completely understand that it’s a different game and a different world, but Marty Akins with two good knees wouldn’t be a bad guy to have. Yes, I’m old. 

• Like 2

I just think he needed a Heisman or a national title delivered. Nobody looks at the Davey O'Brien award as anything but a consolation most years for the Heisman in years the Heisman winner doesn't win that award. Winning a Heisman shouldn't even guarantee that. Schools have more Heisman winners than us and they don't retire their numbers. Like I said it should be more strict on what gets retired and unfortunately that means some great players we have come through won't get their number retired. Say Blue has a great season and wins the Heisman this year....does that mean we should retire 23? No it doesn't.
Wut.gif

2 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

Yeah, wtf?

• Davey O'Brien Award
  • Maxwell Award
  • Manning Award

He also exited CFB as the winningest QB in NCAA history and also had the second highest accuracy rate in history. 

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

Yeah, wtf?

• Davey O'Brien Award
  • Maxwell Award
  • Manning Award

this.  the Maxwell is only 2 years younger than the Heisman and is just as valid as a "player of the year award".

• Hook 'Em 5

24 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

And arguably way more consistent in getting it "right".

the Maxwell is also more willing to give it to a defensive player as well.  hurts us with Earl but helps us with Nobis.

21 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Hope it's not some stupid new name for the a&m game like this shitshow...

Screenshot_20231114-113424_kindlephoto-12243375.png

narrator: it will be. with a fancy new logo with SEC plastered all over it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

It's not a neutral site announcement

Trev Alberts: "We have decided that the hate is still too real, the wounds too fresh, and the current social climate is not right to play this game any longer. For the good of the State of Texas we cannot reverse the healing that has happened for the last 13 years. To that end, Texas A&M will be scheduling Navarro Community College as a quality backfill for what has become too painful of a game for any of us to endure."

12 minutes ago, Dewey said:

Sold the naming rights of the rivalry 

There will be a trophy,  hopefully not designed or built by gomer. Need it to last. 

aggy will stipulate that if they win the engraving will show "Texas aggy"

6 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You are entitled to an opinion and I'm entitled to tell you it's a fucking stupid opinion 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Vertigo said:

He also exited CFB as the winningest QB in NCAA history and also had the second highest accuracy rate in history. 

7 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

Yeah, wtf?

• Davey O'Brien Award
  • Maxwell Award
  • Manning Award

"Apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/15/2024 at 3:36 PM, LTtxfan said:

So something with "Lone Star" in the title...

fuk

I fuckin' knew it... Per "Fuck Kirk Bohls" of the Houston Chronicle, the Longhorns and Aggies - who are set to hold a joint press conference in Houston next week with athletic directors Chris Del Conte and Trev Alberts - are expected to announce  a new title sponsor for "The Lonestar Showdown".

https://www.si.com/college/texas/news/report-longhorns-vs-aggies-lonestar-showdown-rivalry-to-get-title-sponsor-01j5e29fg9pj

Edited by LTtxfan

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I fuckin' knew it... Per "Fuck Kirk Bohls" of the Houston Chronicle, the Longhorns and Aggies - who are set to hold a joint press conference in Houston next week with athletic directors Chris Del Conte and Trev Alberts - are expected to announce  a new title sponsor for "The Lonestar Showdown".

https://www.si.com/college/texas/news/report-longhorns-vs-aggies-lonestar-showdown-rivalry-to-get-title-sponsor-01j5e29fg9pj

I'm assuming SI is being their typical stupid self and calling it Lonestar instead of Lone Star out of ignorance and laziness.

8 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I mean, that is what it was called before and sponsored by State Farm:

image.png.1ed81f639f7a91987264f9bbc74c5f32.png

3 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Which major Texas based corporation spends ad dollars at both schools?   Off the top of my head Texas Farm Bureau.    That’s my guess for a sponsor. 

Enron?

• Haha 1

Given CDC's creativity and cleverness, I'm thinking it will be some kind of hybrid co-branding, with the victorious sponsor getting the headlining spot.

Howler Bros. when Texas wins, Carhartt if aggy does.

Edited by Damor
muledick

Y’all need to think 4th dimensionally. Get Whataburger to do it, but they darken their orange just a bit more.

Then require that logo on both 25’s where the game is played, like the little nfl logo.

Now you have aggy painting their field burnt orange every other year. They’d love that. 

On 8/15/2024 at 1:37 PM, PhillyD said:

I am an outlier but I don't think numbers should be retired.  I like the way we used #60 as an honor to wear it   the same could be done for numbers 10 and 12.

I'll never let this go though.  If we are retiring numbers, Colt is deserving.  He won more football games at UT than any player before or any after ever will.  Because he followed VY, a lot of folks didn't appreciate how good he was.  He was great QB and the second best ever at UT.

He won more games than Street, but he also lost more.  That’s a big deal imo.

Us olds remember the turmoil  around the program entering the 1968 season.  Difficult to remember now, but I would argue  that James Street saved DKR’s job.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, cochamps said:

He won more games than Street, but he also lost more.  That’s a big deal imo.

Us olds remember the turmoil  around the program entering the 1968 season.  Difficult to remember now, but I would argue  that James Street saved DKR’s job.

He also pitched a perfect game against Tech at Tech….that’s worth something!

• Hook 'Em 2