Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

He won more games than Street, but he also lost more.  That’s a big deal imo.
Us olds remember the turmoil  around the program entering the 1968 season.  Difficult to remember now, but I would argue  that James Street saved DKR’s job.

That and Emory Bellard’s Wishbone offense. They kind of went on a winning streak after that.

Hook’em!!!

9 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Well, once Street was running it rather than Bradley, anyway. 

While this is undeniable, I give Super Bill a lot of credit for the way he handled it. Changed positions twice in '68 and never complained, a real team player.  Of course, it also worked out pretty well for him also.  😉

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

I think the players of that era called Street “Slick” as he had the current Elvis vibe going for him too. Might be wrong, but that’s always what I thought over the decades.

Hook’em!!!

James was “slick”….always carried a comb in his hip pocket.

James Street's 16 deserves to be retired. End of Story. DKR's criteria should be tweaked for Street. 

20-0, beat Arky and Irish for national title.

-- Against Arky, completed the 4th down long pass on what Beano Cook of ABC called the "play of the decade" for the 1960s. The greatest pass play in UT history in the second biggest game, exceeded only by 2006 Rose Bowl. 

-- Won title by engineering clutch drives to Beat Arky and ND (when ND was decided to join 20th century to play bowl games) on national TV with massive audiences.

-- Ran the Wishbone like an artist, making it a thing of beauty and scoring machine that revolutionized college football offenses.

-- Fielded phone calls from freaking Elvis. 

Edited by BevoAbyss
  • Hook 'Em 8

22 hours ago, BevoAbyss said:

James Street's 16 deserves to be retired. End of Story. DKR's criteria should be tweaked for Street. 

20-0, beat Arky and Irish for national title.

-- Against Arky, completed the 4th down long pass on what Beano Cook of ABC called the "play of the decade" for the 1960s. The greatest pass play in UT history in the second biggest game, exceeded only by 2006 Rose Bowl. 

-- Won title by engineering clutch drives to Beat Arky and ND (when ND was decided to join 20th century to play bowl games) on national TV with massive audiences.

-- Ran the Wishbone like an artist, making it a thing of beauty and scoring machine that revolutionized college football offenses.

-- Fielded phone calls from freaking Elvis. 

16 will be retired I’m sure.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Guy that owns Cotton also owns the Katy franchise of the College Station 12 baseball club

• Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

CDC also seemed miffed that they changed the order and had him go first...  (27:10 mark)

Definitely an aggy production.     Lutz 😬

Edited by LTtxfan

1 minute ago, ousux said:

So the Longhorn showdown is not only sponsored by an aggy company, but also one that does aggy NIL deals? Not sure how excited I should be..

Yeah them mentioning Conner Weigman multiple times and his NIL deal with "Cotton" got real annoying...

15 minutes ago, ousux said:

So the Longhorn showdown is not only sponsored by an aggy company, but also one that does aggy NIL deals? Not sure how excited I should be..

It Just Means More™...  to them.

David Byrne Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Haha 3

On 8/17/2024 at 10:22 AM, Damor said:

Given CDC's creativity and cleverness, I'm thinking it will be some kind of hybrid co-branding, with the victorious sponsor getting the headlining spot.

Howler Bros. when Texas wins, Tractor Supply if aggy does.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, ousux said:

Yeah, CDC needs to hear about this.

How many years is this agreement going to be in place?

4 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Yeah, CDC needs to hear about this.

How many years is this agreement going to be in place?

CDC heard about Weigman's NIL deal with "Cotton"  multiple times in the presentation today... such an aggy show

B859DED9-7E6E-4CC5-9DE0-00DD85712709.png

Edited by LTtxfan

On 8/18/2024 at 10:50 PM, msucolt45 said:

I think the players of that era called Street “Slick” as he had the current Elvis vibe going for him too. Might be wrong, but that’s always what I thought over the decades.

Hook’em!!!

Street recalled that on the night he was taken backstage to meet Elvis, Elvis was the only person in the room who argued that Texas deserved to win the "Game of the Century" against Arkansas. Everyone else believed Arkansas was the better team and should have won. Years later, I had the honor of meeting George Klein at Graceland. When I mentioned this story, he confirmed it was true and admitted that he was one of those who, at the time, thought Arkansas was the better team.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

CDC also seemed miffed that they changed the order and had him go first...  (27:10 mark)

Definitely an aggy production.     Lutz 😬

Craig Way was way to deferential, even avoiding stepping in it. I think the bend over backwards to make Aggies feel equal is fucking stupid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, troph said:

Craig Way was way to deferential, even avoiding stepping in it. I think the bend over backwards to make Aggies feel equal is fucking stupid.

It's what you do when you are dealing with Downs kids.  This is pretty much the same.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

CDC heard about Weigman's NIL deal with "Cotton"  multiple times in the presentation today... such an aggy show

B859DED9-7E6E-4CC5-9DE0-00DD85712709.png

I would not put it past CDC to put it in the contract that they can no longer give aggy players NIL contracts. Why else would Texas agree to a company with Cotton in the name in 2024? The reason I said aggy had brought in the sponsor had nothing to do with research and everything to do with the name of the company.

This whole thing is cringe AF and looks bush-league.

1) Its obvious that aggy whined like a motherfucker when we joined the SEC, thus them getting the first FB, BB, WBB, and Volleyball games/matches

2) Never heard once of this small potatoes sponsor before today. Meanwhile, the RRS is sponsored by AT&T and such

3) Texas will win this hilarious “competiton” every.fucking.year. Aggy wont even come close. We have finished 1, 1, 2, 1 in the Directors Cup the past 4 years.  Meanwhile, aggy just finished with their second-best finish (and highest finish in over a decade) ever this year at #6. Might as well just put this made-up crap trophy in Austin, permanently.

4) Yeah, they definitely fucked CDC today. Everyone watch the tape at 27:10 mark